Photographs, 1970-1973: A Finding Aid.
Ukrainian Research Institute Reference Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: HOLLIS 009838851
Repository: Ukrainian Research Institute Reference Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Po Radianskii Ukraini.
Title: Photographs, 1970-1973.
Quantity: 1 collection (162 images
(.3 linear ft.)
Abstract: Po Radianskii Ukraini was a periodical of photographs documenting Soviet Ukraine. The photographs in this
collection were taken throughout Ukraine in and near cities such as Uzhhorod, Kyiv,
Sumy, Poltava, Lviv, Odessa, Kharkiv, and Donetsk. They include images of major industrial
and technical projects, idyllic rural and cultural scenes, and monuments and individuals
important to Soviet history.
Gift of Iurii Kosach.
Processed by: Ksenya Kiebuzinski
Access is by appointment only. Contact the Institute Bibliographer/Archivist.
Po Radianskii Ukraini was a periodical of photographs documenting Soviet Ukraine. It was published in Kyiv
beginning circa 1960 by the Ukrainian Society for Friendship and Cultural Relations
with Foreign Countries (Ukrainske tovarystvo druzhby ta kulturnoho zviazku z zarubizhnymy
krainamy). This organization served as a major source of propaganda for Soviet policy
Organized chronologically, then by issue number, in ten series:
- 1970 No. 1
- 1970 No. 2
- 1970 No. 3
- 1970 No. 4
- 1970 No. 7
- 1970 No. 8
- 1970 No. 9
- 1973 No. 1
- Unidentified issue number
- Unidentified photographs
The photographs in this collection were published from 1970 to 1973. The photographs were taken throughout
Ukraine in and near cities such as Uzhhorod, Kyiv, Sumy, Poltava, Lviv, Odessa, Kharkiv,
and Donetsk. They include images of major industrial and technical projects, idyllic
rural and cultural scenes, and monuments and individuals important to Soviet history.
For example, there are photographs showing the metallurgical works in Donetsk, exhibits
at the Transcarpathian Museum of Folk Architecture and Folkways, employees of the
Arsenal plant in Kyiv, and portraits of V.I. Lenin.
Includes images for some issues from 1970 to 1973 only.
- Series: 1970 No. 1
- 1. Uzhhorod--Ukraina Department Store, n.d.
- 2. Mukachevo--Latorytsia Hotel, n.d.
- 3. Uzhhorod University--Medical students, n.d.
- 4-5. Woodworking trade, n.d.
- 4. Berehove Furniture Factory
- 6. Kamyshovate, Novoukrainka raion, Kirovohrad oblast, n.d.
- 7. Dobrovelychkivka raion, Kirovohrad oblast--Mink farm "Krasna Poliana"--Raisa Osadcha, n.d.
- 8-11. Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University--Students, n.d.
- 8. Nuclear Physics Department
- 12-13. Winter masquerades, n.d.
- 14-17. Kyiv--Winter park scenes, n.d.
- 18-19. Carpathian Mountains--Winter scenes, n.d.
- Series: 1970 No. 2
- 1-14. Arsenal plant, Kyiv, n.d.
- 1. Consecration of the flag
- 2. Baskakov, Vasyl (turner at the plant and participant in the armed Bolshevik uprising in 1918)
- 6. Kryshenia, Volodymyr (birthday celebration at the plant)
- 7. Monument to the participants of the Bolshevik uprising
- 8. Monument to those who died in the Bolshevik uprising
- 10. Students at the plant
- Series: 1970 No. 3
- 1-8. Lenin, V.I., paintings of, n.d.
- 9-13. Poltava--Poltava Regional Studies Museum, n.d.
- Series: 1970 No. 4
- 1-5. World War, 1939-1945--Soviet soldiers, n.d.
- 6-17. Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University--Students, n.d.
- 18. Kyiv Civil Engineering Institute, n.d.
- 19. Lviv State Ivan Franko University, n.d.
- 20. Kyiv Conservatory, n.d.
- Series: 1970 No. 7
- 1. Poltava--Artificial Diamonds and Diamond Instruments Plant, n.d.
- 2. Masliuk, Mykh. (folk artist; Zhmerynka, Vinnytsia oblast), n.d.
- 3. Irzhavets, Chernihiv oblast--Building of Culture, n.d.
- 4. Voroshylovhrad, Luhansk oblast--Clothing store, n.d.
- 5. Ballet on Ice--"Holiday of Youth", n.d.
- 6. Bronka, Transcarpathian oblast--Music ensemble at the Bldg. of Culture, n.d.
- 7-9. Kyivan Caves Monastery, n.d.
- 10. Fishchenko, Oleksii (artist)
- Series: 1970 No. 8
- 2. Odessa--Potemkin Steps, n.d.
- 3. Kharkiv--Building of Commerce, n.d.
- 4. Crimea--Tourists by a stream, n.d.
- 5. Cherkasy oblast--Pershotravenyi Sanitarium near Sosnivka, n.d.
- 6. Pioneer camp Druzhba, near Kyiv, n.d.
- 7. Pervomaisk raion, Crimea--Sports center (swimming pool), n.d.
- 8-10. Uzhhorod--Transcarpathian Museum of Folk Architecture and Folkways--Exhibits, n.d.
- 9. Woman in local costume
- 11-16. Scenes from the film "Ukraine yesterday, today, and tomorrow", n.d.
- 11. Uzhhorod--Transport of a rural house to the Transcarpathian Museum of Folk Architecture and Folkways
- 12. Transcarpathian wedding--Bride and groom in Hutsul dress
- 13. Kremenchuk, Poltava oblast--Test drives of trucks from Kriukiv Freight-Car Plant
- 14. Transcarpathia--Zaporizhstal Metallurgical Plant
- 15. Popovych, Pavlo (first Ukrainian in space)
- 16. Prut River, Iaremche, Ivano-Frankivsk oblast
- Series: 1970 No. 9
- 1-4. Karpenko-Karyi, Ivan, n.d.
- 5. Kyiv Mohyla Academy (model), n.d.
- 6. Kyiv--Apartment buildings, n.d.
- 7. Sumy--Apartment building, n.d.
- 8. Kyiv--Institute of Cybernetics, n.d.
- 9. Shostka raion, Sumy oblast--Magnetic tape factory, n.d.
- 10. Sumy--Electronic microscope factory, n.d.
- 11. Kyiv--Home delivery service, n.d.
- 12. Sumy--Bandurists, n.d.
- 13. Zaliznychne raion, Kyiv oblast--Pioneers, n.d.
- 14. Kyiv--Beach scene, n.d.
- 15. Lake Malovnyche, Kyianytsia, Sumy oblast, n.d.
- Series: 1973 No. 1
- 1. Donetsk--Metallurgical works at night, n.d.
- 2-3. Transcarpathia--Zaporizhstal Metallurgical Plant, n.d.
- 4. Zhdanov, Donetsk oblast--Lenin Metallurgical Works, n.d.
- 5-6. Lviv--Bus factory, n.d.
- 7. Lviv--Television plant, n.d.
- 8. Antei Airliner (designed by Oleh Antonov), n.d.
- 9. Sosiura, Volodymyr, n.d.
- Series: Unidentified issue number
- 6, 10-14. Kyiv--Museum of Historical Treasures--Scythian gold pectoral, n.d.
- 15-21. Kyiv--Museum of Historical Treasures--Scythian gold artifacts, n.d.
- Series: Unidentified photographs
- 3 folders of unidentified photographs.