Radcliffe College Archives memorabilia collection, ca.1879-1999: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Processing of this collection was made possible by a gift from the Radcliffe Class
of 1954 Fund for the Radcliffe College Archives.
Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: RG XXIII
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Title: Radcliffe College Archives memorabilia collection, ca.1879-1999
Quantity: 28.35 linear feet (5 cartons, 5 file boxes, 5 folio boxes, 2 folio+ boxes, 2 oversize boxes, 5 supersize
boxes, 2 card boxes) plus 1 scarf, 1 flag, 7 banners, 1 baton, 1 doorstop, 10 diploma
plates, 2 plaques, 2 framed objects, 3 shields, 5 dioramas)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Collection of memorabilia documenting the history of Radcliffe College.
Accession numbers: R80-45, R80-46, R94-9, R99-29, R2000-CR32, R2001-CR3, R2011-CR21, R2011-CR243, 2012-M34,
R2014-CR3, R2015-CR2, R2016-CR2, 2016-M226
The memorabilia collection of the Radcliffe College Archives was acquired through
donations from alumnae and Radcliffe College.
Processed: December 2016
By: Lillianne Keaney
Access. #18FB.1m is closed until January 1, 2036. Materials that have been digitized
are closed; use digital objects. The remainder of the collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in memorabilia created by Radcliffe College is held by the President
and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in other memorabilia
in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Materials may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Radcliffe College Archives memorabilia collection, ca.1879-1999; item description,
dates. RG XXIII, item #. Radcliffe College Archives, Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe
Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
The collection is arranged by object type with similar items boxed and housed together.
The collection consists of items that were either presented to or created by Radcliffe
College. Items range from objects used by the College or items that belonged to alumnae.
Objects include accessories, awards and trophies, banners, china, clothing, dioramas,
diploma plates, medallions, pennants, pins, plaques, printing plates, silver, and
- Mem.1. Radcliffe scarf. Red square silk scarf, belonged to Marie Elizabeth Conner, Class
- Mem.2. Radcliffe flag. Off white with Radcliffe shield in red, black, and white, n.d.
- 1SB.1m. Ann Radcliffe costume worn at Harvard Tercentenary, ca.1936
- 2SB.1m. Bathing suit. Denim swimming suit of Florence D. Gilmour '06 with the number 131 stitched
on upper back, 1906
- 2SB.2m. Radcliffe red gym bloomers, ca.1937
- 2SB.3m. Radcliffe basketball sleeveless sweater. Red sleeveless sweater with number '29 on
- 2SB.4m. Gym suit top. White button down shirt, ca.1929
- 2SB.5m. Black sports suit with Radcliffe shield patch, probably field hockey uniform, n.d.
- 3OB.1m. Radcliffe A.B. hood with white velvet trim and red and white interior lining, 1954
- 3OB.2m. Radcliffe Ph.D. hood with purple velvet trim and red and white interior lining, 1956
- 3OB.3m. Radcliffe Bachelor's academic cap and gown of Nancy Greer, Class of 1959
- 4F+B.1m. Radcliffe jacket. Blue jacket with Rediscover Radcliffe logo on left chest, n.d.
- 4F+B.2m. Radcliffe t-shirt. Red t-shirt celebrating Harvard's 350th anniversary, 1986
- 4F+B.3m. Harvard t-shirt. White t-shirt with "Harvard. The Adelphi of Massachusetts." ca.1980s
- 4F+B.4m. Harvard Crimson t-shirt. Lettering in Cyrillic, ca.1980s
- 4F+B.5m. Radcliffe Board of Trustees blue t-shirt, n.d.
- 4F+B.6m. Radcliffe towel. Off-white towel with Radcliffe shield in red, n.d.
- 4F+B.7m. Radcliffe tie. Red tie with Radcliffe tree pattern, ca.1968
- 4F+B.8m. Harvard tie. Crimson with diagonal stipes and Harvard shield with 68, 1968
- 4F+B.9m. Tote bag. Class of 1968 canvas tote bag, ca.1968
- 4F+B.10m. Pennants. Six red felt pennants with Radcliffe in white lettering, n.d.
- 5.1m. Radcliffe hat. Red baseball cap with "H 68 R," possibly for Harvard's 350th celebration,
- 5.2m. Radcliffe hat. Straw hat with red ribbon with "Radcliffe Reunions," ca.1968
- 5.3m. Radcliffe hat. Straw hat with red ribbon with Harvard 350 shield and Radcliffe College
seal with Radcliffe tree, ca.1968
- 5.4m. Radcliffe hat. Straw hat with red ribbon tied in bow, ca.1968
- 6CB.1m. President Jordan's slippers with needlepoint of Radcliffe shield, ca.1943-1960
- 7.1m. Trophy. Radcliffe Tennis Tournament, May 1900
- 7.2m. Trophy. Swimming Cup, 1922
- 7.3m. Trophy. Radcliffe Athletic Association Tennis cup, 1922-1936
- 7.4m. Trophy. Radcliffe Athletic Association Intramural Championship and Field Day cup,
- 7.5m. Award. RAA House Champions: North Holmes, 1961-1962
- 7.6m. Award. RAA House Champions: North Comstock, 1961-1962
- 7.7m. Trophy. Radcliffe Athletic Association Intramural Cup, 1961-1969
- 7.8m. Trophy. New England School of Equitation Inter Collegiate Horse Show, 1962-1968
- 7.9m. Trophy. Radcliffe Championship Swimming, 1963-1971
- 7.10m. Trophy. Alden Trophy, second place, 1967
- 7.11m. Trophy. The Tiger Bowl, 1967
- 8.1m. Trophy. Harvard - Radcliffe Volleyball League Championship, 1968-1970
- 8.2m. Trophy. New England Women's Intercollegiate Swimming Championships, 1969
- 8.3m. Trophy. Silver bowl, Kathy Fletcher, Radcliffe Swim Team Captain, 1969-1970
- 8.4m. Trophy. Women's National Sailing Championship, 1969
- 8.5m. Trophy. WISC 1st place, 1974
- 8.6m. Trophy. Radcliffe Invitational Champion, 1994
- 8.7m. Trophy. Radcliffe Athletic Association, Swimming Cup, n.d.
- 8.8m. Trophy. Radcliffe Invitational Swim Meet bowl, n.d.
- 8.9m. Trophy. Lid to swimming trophy, n.d.
- 9SB.1m. Silver platter engraved with Radcliffe College shield, ca.1897
- 9SB.2m. Large silver platter with floral motif, gift of the North Shore Radcliffe Club, 1952
- 9aSB.1m. Large silver platter, in memory of Mabel MacLeod Hammond '94, n.d.
- 10.1m. Oval silver platter in memory of Louise Endicott Strongman from the class of 1896,
- 10.2m. Silver plate with scalloped edges. Engraved with Radcliffe shield and "Mabel Wheeler
Daniels Founders award, Radcliffe College, June 16, 1965"
- 10.3m. Silver pitcher with floral motif. Gift of Mary Huntington Cooke, 1910
- 10.4m. Silver sugar bowl and creamer with Radcliffe shield, ca.1950s
- 10.5m. Silver creamer, ca.1960s
- 10.6m. Silver bowl engraved with "Briggs Hall," n.d.
- 10.7m. Silver oil burning lamp, n.d.
- 10.8m. Silver spoon engraved with gymnasium building, n.d.
- 10.9m. Silver spoon engraved with Fay House building, n.d.
- 11.1m. Silver key ring. Engraved with "Librarian, Harvard Annex, 10 Garden St., Cambridge,"
- 11.2m. President Comstock name pin for Institute of Pacific Relations, Honolulu, Hawaii,
- 11.3m. Dean Cronkhite's pin with Radcliffe College shield, ca.1959
- 11.4m. Kobe College (Radcliffe's sister college) pin. Silver pin with Kobe College badge
and wooden case, n.d.
- 11.5m. Ring. Radcliffe College Class of 1935 ring from Sister Clara Mahoney, 1935
- 11.6m. Class of 1968 wristwatch with red Radcliffe crab apple tree on the face, 1968
- 11.7m. Button reading Harvard in Hebrew, ca.1968
- 11.8m. Radcliffe College key ring, round silver with shield motif, n.d.
- 11.9m. Radcliffe College key ring, round gold with shield motif, n.d.
- 11.10m. Relief of Radcliffe College shield, n.d.
- 11.11m. Radcliffe Association medallion, n.d.
- 11.12m. Radcliffe College Alumnae Association medallion, n.d.
- 11.13m. The Campaign for Radcliffe paperweight[?], May 4, 1996
- 11.14m. Pen used to sign merger of Radcliffe and Harvard, September 14, 1999
- 12.1m. Leather case with brown lining and filigree snaps. Was used for the Elizabeth Cary
Agassiz scholarship, 1895
- 12.2m. Paper napkins celebrating 40th anniversary of votes for women, November 10, 1960
- 12.3m. Book cover removed from unknown book, inscribed with dedication to Dean Cronkhite,
- 12.4m. Yale University Bicentennial medal, 1901
- 12.5m. Woodrow Wilson memorial medal, ca.1924
- 12.6m. Charles University, Prague, 600th anniversary medal, 1948
- 13.1m. Wooden book "In memory of the Royal George, sunk August 19, 1782," n.d.
- 13.2m. Die. Radcliffe College seal, ca.1900
- 13.3m. Die. Small Radcliffe College seal, ca.1900
- 13.4m. Die. Harvard College President Eliot's signature, ca.1900
- 13.5m. Die. Radcliffe College seal, ca.1936
- 13.6m. Die. Radcliffe College seal with motto, ca.1936
- 13.7m. Die. Radcliffe College shield, n.d.
- 13.8m. Marble paperweight with Radcliffe shield, n.d.
- 13.9m. Radcliffe College Camel cigarette case, ca.1948
- 13.10m. Pin/tie tack. Radcliffe College Fay House Associate, n.d.
- 13.11m. Pin. Society for the Collegiate Instruction for Women (SCIW), 1892
- 13.12m. Pin. Harvard Annex, 1894
- 13.13m. Pin. Harvard Annex in shape of fleur de lis, 1896
- 13.14m. Pin. Round gold[?] pin with red, white, and gold Radcliffe shield, 1904
- 13.15m. Pin. Round gold[?] pin with red, white, and gold Radcliffe shield, 1913
- 13.16m. Six plaster? medallions sent from the Agnes Irwin School to Radcliffe College. Reproductions
of 15th century medals by Pisanello, n.d.
- 13.17m. Section of the Washington elm tree from Cambridge Common, presented by the City of
- 13.18m. Trowel. Mary Buckminster Moors Hall, May 12, 1948
- 13.19m. Trowel. Bernice Brown Cronkhite Hall, May 11, 1959
- 14CB.1m. Radcliffe College Alumnae Association seal press/embosser, 1925
- 15.1m. Baton in case, tip engraved with "WDG 4-23-06," 1906
- 16FB.1m. Wooden flute in case, gift of Mrs. J.C. Joseph Flamand, 1936
- 17.1m. Cast iron doorstop of Anne Radcliffe by Watson, 1921
- 19.1m. Engraved printing plate. Mounted on wood block, view of Buckingham House, n.d.
- 19.2m. Engraved printing plate. Mounted on wood block, view of Founders' House, n.d.
- 19.3m. Engraved printing plate. Mounted on wood block, view of Radcliffe Yard, n.d.
- 19.4m. Engraved printing plate. Mounted on wood block, view of Widener Library, n.d.
- 19.5m. Printing plate. "The Associates" with the Radcliffe crab apple tree, n.d.
- 20.1m. Diploma plate. Ph.D., 1900-
- 21.1m. Diploma plate. B.A., n.d.
- 22.1m. Diploma plate. B.A., n.d.
- 23.1m. Diploma plate. Ph.D. with A. L. Lowell signature, ca.1909?
- 24.1m. Diploma plate. B.A., n.d.
- 25.1m. Diploma plate. A.A. (Associate of Arts), ca.1900-
- 26.1m. Plaques. 18 named plaques removed from Schlesinger Library chairs, n.d.
- 26.2m. Plaques. Seven named plaques removed from Schlesinger Library stacks, n.d.
- 26.3m. Plaques. 25 named plaques removed from Schlesinger Library carrels, n.d.
- 26.4m. Plaques. Two named plaques removed from the Schlesinger Library Tympanum Fan Window,
- 26.5m. Plaque. Radcliffe Class of 1963 plaque removed from Schlesinger Library elevator,
- 26.6m. Plaque. Named plaque removed from Schlesinger Library exhibit area, n.d.
- 26.7m. Plaque. "The Woman's Rights Collection Gift of Maud Wood Park," n.d.
- 26.8m. Plaque. "Dudley Meek, Director - H.R.P.B.A. 1955-1958," n.d.
- 26.9m. Plaque. "Bernice Brown Cronkhite, Dean, 1923-1959," n.d.
- 26.10m. Plaque. "In memory of Mary Anderson, 1872-1964, First Director of the Woman's Bureau.
U.S. Department of Labor. The gift of members of her staff, 1967"
- 26.11m. Plaque. "In memory of Sarah Wyman Whitman, Constant in Faith and in Works to the Ideals
of American Womanhood. This Bust by Richard Greenough representing 'Death the Deliverer'
is given to Radcliffe College by Edith Greenough Wendell. 1905"
- 26.12m. Plaque. "This room was furnished by the class of 1921, in memory of Marian Harris
- 26.13m. Plaque. "The Mary Ingraham Bunting President's Office at Radcliffe College named in
recognition of a gift from Susan Morse Hilles, Radcliffe Trustee 1962-74. Friend and
supporter of four Radcliffe Presidents," n.d.
- 26.14m. Plaques. Two plaques for "Matina S. Horner Room," n.d.
- 26.15m. Plaques. Two plaques for "Judith Thurman Seltzer '33 Reception Room," n.d.
- 26.16m. Plaque. "Robert H. Gardiner Conference Room," n.d.
- 26.17m. Plaque. "The Atkinson Room, Sarah Cabot Parkman Atkinson, William Parsons Atkinson,
Charles Follen Atkinson," n.d.
- 27FB.1m. Plaque, mounted on wood. "This room is given by the class of 1923 in memory of Ruth
Barrett Dow, 1902-1966," n.d.
- 27FB.2m. Plaque. "Fiske Room, given by Martha T. Fiske Collord," n.d.
- 27FB.3m. Plaque. "Directors of the Library," 1950-1995
- 27FB.4m. Plaque, mounted on wood. "This room is named in honor of Nancy-Beth Gordon Sheerr,
Chairman of the Radcliffe College Board of Trustees 1990-1999, In gratitude of her
- 28F+B.1m. Plaque, mounted on wood. "Distinguished service award recipients," 1982-1992
- 28F+B.2m. Plaque, mounted on wood. "Radcliffe College Alumnae Association Presidents," 1925-1993
- 29OB.1m. Plaques, mounted on wood. "Radcliffe College Alumnae Association Alumnae Recognition
- 29OB.2m. Plaque. "Renovation Project Benefactors and Foundations," 1987-1988
- 29OB.3m. Radcliffe College shield painted on wood panels, n.d.
- 30.1m. Plaque. United States of America Navy Department award to Radcliffe College for hosting
Navy Supply Corps School during World War II, ca.1946
- 31.1m. Plaque. United States of America Navy Department award to Radcliffe College for hosting
Navy Supply Corps School during World War II, ca.1946
- 32.1m. Needlepoint. Radcliffe College shield motif in red, black, and gold thread in gold
- 33.1m. Round Radcliffe shield. Relief sculpture of shield surrounded with "Radcliffe" in
banner and laurel leaf, n.d.
- 34.1m. Framed round Radcliffe shield, with motto "Sigillum Academiae Radclivianae In Nov
- 35.1m. Round wooden panel with Radcliffe College shield motif in red, white, black, and gold.
Old style, with motto "Sigillum Academiae Radclivianae In Nov Ang," n.d.
- 36.1m. Framed silhouette of President Comstock by Eveline V. Maydell, 1938
- 37.1m. China. Eight Radcliffe College Wedgwood tea plates with Fay House pattern in blue,
- 37.2m. China. Five Radcliffe College Wedgwood tea cups and eight saucers with the Library,
Agassiz House, and Gymnasium[Knafel Center] pattern in blue, 1934
- 38.1m. Diorama. Diorama of the first graduating class of the Harvard Annex in Mrs. E.W. Gurney's
library in 1883. Mrs. Aggasiz is handing out diplomas, Mr. Arthur Gilman is looking
on. Made by Theodore B. Pitman for exhibit for Harvard's Tercentenary celebration,
- 39.1m. Diorama. Harvard Annex Greek class taught by Professor LeBaron Russell Briggs ca.1879.
Made for Harvard's Tercentenary celebration, 1936
- 40.1m. Diorama. Contemporary scene made for Harvard's Tercentenary celebration. Harvard Annex,
view of interior office with male professor at desk and female student in chair, 1936
- 41.1m. Diorama. Contemporary scene made for Harvard's tercentenary celebration. Harvard Annex,
outdoor balcony scence, 1936
- 42.1m. Diorama. Diorama of Radcliffe Yard ca. 1879, made for Radcliffe centennial celebration,
- 43.1m. Diploma plate. Ph.D., n.d.
- 44.1m. Diploma plate. A.M., n.d.
- 45.1m. Diploma plate. A.B., n.d.
- 46.1m. Diploma plate. A.B. Honors, n.d.
- 47FB.1m. Radcliffe shirt. Radcliffe crew team sleeveless shirt, black with white printed "R",
- 47FB.2m. T-shirt. Radcliffe crew t-shirt, white with black trim at collar and sleeves, black
"R" stitched on. Belonged to Connie Cervilla, Class of 1973, captain of 1973 European
Championship Crew, 1973
- 47FB.3m. T-shirt. Radcliffe crew t-shirt. Yellow with "'Cliffe Crew, Eat 'em" on front and
"Moscow oar bust" on back printed in black. Belonged to Connie Cervilla, Class of
1973, captain of 1973 European Championship Crew, 1973
- 47FB.4m. T-shirt. Radcliffe crew t-shirt. Black with white trim at collar and sleeves, white
"R" printed on front, n.d.
- 48.1m. Printing plate. Book plate with old style Radcliffe College shield and text "Radcliffe
College Library, from the bequest of Charles Follen Atkinson, in memory of Susan Parkman
Atkinson, MDCCCCXVIII" with sample printed plate, 1898?
- 48.2m. Printing plate. Book plate with old Radcliffe College shield with text "Radcliffe
College Library, The gift of the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association in the name
of James Bradstreet Greenough, November 1902, Vivit qua Vloluit vivere Parte Magis"
with sample printed plate, 1902
- 48.3m. Printing plate. Radcliffe College Library book plate with text "[top:] From Harriet
Lee Morse in Grateful Memory of Sarah Alden Ripley, 1793-1867 [bottom:] In memory
of Bessie Hincks, born April 11 1865 died July 5 1885" with sample printed plate,
- 48.4m. Printing plate. Book plate with old style Radcliffe College shield and text "Radcliffe
College Library - Bequest of George Vasmer Leverett - 1918 - " with sample printed
- 48.5m. Printing plate. Radcliffe College shield book plate, "Radcliffe College Library, The
Gift of" with sample printed plate, n.d.
- 48.6m. Printing plate. Radcliffe College Library book plate with text "The Gift of Lilian
Horsford Farlow" with sample printed plate, n.d.
- 48.7m. Printing plate. Radcliffe College Library book plate with text "From students and
friends of Radcliffe College in grateful appreciation of the services of Arthur Gilman
MDCCCLXXVII - MDCCCXCVI" with sample printed plate, n.d.
- 48.8m. Printing plate. Old style Radcliffe shield with text "Radcliffe College Library -
Given in memory of Annette Perkins Rogers, Annie E. Fisher, Sarah W. Whitman, Isa
E. Gray, by L.S.W. Perkins" with sample printed plate, n.d.
- 48.9m. Printing plate. Book plate with old Radcliffe College shield and text "'Radcliffe
College, Agassiz House Library, The gift of Amy Lowell" with sample printed plate,
- 48.10m. Printing plate. Book plate with old Radcliffe College shield and text "Radcliffe College
Library - Given in memory of Martha Carter Cutler, Class of 1897, by her husband"
with sample printed plate, n.d.
- 48.11m. Printing plate. Book plate with image of female figure with flowers and text "Radcliffe
College, In memoriam, Elizabeth Spencer Bouton - Class of 1929" with sample printed
- 48.12m. Printing plate. Book plate with old style Radcliffe College shield, with text "Radcliffe
College Library" with sample printed plate, n.d.
- 48.13m. Printing plate. Book plate with old style Radcliffe College shield and text "Radcliffe
College Library, given in memory of Harriet Minot Pitman" with sample printed plate,
Clothing and dress
Radcliffe College--Alumni and alumnae
Universities and colleges--Massachusetts--Cambridge