Kane-DeMaios, J. Ari. Videotape collection of J. Ari Kane-DeMaios, 1976-2000: A Finding
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Vt-132
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Kane-DeMaios, J. Ari
Title: Videotape collection of J. Ari Kane-DeMaios, 1976-2000
Quantity: 44 videocassettes
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Videotape recordings of Fantasia Fair activities, and interviews with or lectures
by created by J. Ari Kane-DeMaios, transgender activist, counselor, and executive
director of the Outreach Institute of Gender Studies.
Accession numbers: 2004-M34 and 2005-M156
The Schlesinger Library acquired the videotapes of J. Ari Kane-DeMaios from the Educational Institute for Sex and Gender Diversity (via J. Ari Kane-DeMaios) between 2004 and 2005.
Processed: February 2010
By: Melissa Dollman
Access. An appointment is necessary to use any audiovisual material.
Copyright. Copyright in visual material created by J. Ari Kane-DeMaios is held by
the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright
in other material in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors'
heirs or assigns.
Copying. Audiovisual materials may be copied in accordance with the library's usual
J. Ari Kane-DeMaios Videotape collection, 1976-2000; item description, dates. Vt-132,
reel #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
There is related material at the Schlesinger Library; see Papers of J. Ari Kane-DeMaios,
1970-2005 (MC 614
Sexologist and gerontologist, Ari Kane has worked in the transgendered community since
the early 1970s. As an administrator and counselor (B.S. City College of New York;
M.Ed.; Ed.D. Institute for Advanced Study of Sexuality), Kane's primary focus was
outreach: educating mental health professionals, the public, and individual members
of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered communities. In 1975 he founded the
Outreach Institute of Gender Studies, an organization devoted to advancing the understanding
of gender identity and role development, and to fostering education and research in
all aspects related to the phenomenon of gender and human sexuality. The OIGS sponsored
Fantasia Fair, an annual event in Provincetown, Massachusetts, offering practical,
social, and educational programming for transgendered individuals; contributing to
the development of a "standards of care" document for professionals treating gender
dysphoria; and offering newsletters and other publications about gender issues. OIGS
also developed GARP (Gender Attitude Reassessment Program), a workshop exploring gender
diversity and gender identity issues.
Ari Kane lectured widely and has appeared on many radio and television programs.
He organized conferences in 1978, 1979, and 1980, focusing on the social, medical,
and legal aspects of transgendered behavior, has given numerous presentations in classrooms
and at professional conferences, and continues to offer counseling to gender-conflicted
people through Theseus Counseling Service. He is a member of the American Association
of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists, the Association for Humanist Psychology,
and the Society for the Scientific Study of Sex.
The collection is arranged in two series:
- Series I. Interviews and lectures, 1976-1997 (#1-15)
- Series II. Fantasia Fair, 1980-2000 (#16-44)
This collection consists of videotapes of J. Ari Kane-DeMaios' television appearances
and lectures as an expert sexologist and crossdresser, as well as recordings of annual
Fantasia Fair activities including fashion shows and follies performed by attendees;
award banquets to honor both attendees and local Provincetown, Massachusetts business
owners and others who are active with the crossdressing community; and workshops on
fashion and poise. Titles in quotation marks are those of the donor. Videotapes are
in VHS format, except where noted.
Series I, INTERVIEWS AND LECTURES, 1976-1997 (#1-15), contains television interviews
with and lectures by Kane.
Series II, FANTASIA FAIR, 1980-2000 (#16-44), contains recordings of fair activities
such as awards banquets, fashion shows, follies, as well as footage of surrounding
Subseries A, Fantasia Fair activities including Kane, 1980-1996 (#16-25).
Subseries B, General Fantasia Fair activities, 1980-2000 (#26-44).
- Series I. INTERVIEWS AND LECTURES, 1976-1997 (#1-15)
- 5. Morning Exchange/Afternoon Exchange. WEWS, Cleveland, Ohio. November 12, 1981. 30 minutes. 3/4 U-matic videotape.
Scope and Contents: Kane discusses personal changes since his appearance on Morning Exchange the previous year, integrating his masculine and feminine sides, his married life,
crossdressing, and answers questions.
- 6. Morning Exchange/Afternoon Exchange. WEWS, Cleveland, Ohio. March 29, 1993. 30 minutes.
Scope and Contents: Kane discusses the film, The Crying Game, androgyny, crossdressing, gender, and other topics.
- 8. Excerpts from television interviews with Kane. 1981-1982. 85 minutes.
Scope and Contents: Segment one: Five All Night Live. WCVB, Boston, Massachusetts. Kane discusses crossdressing and his married life.
Segment two: People Are Talking. WBZ, Boston, Massachusetts. Kane discusses crossdressing, his married life and sexuality,
and other topics. Segment three: People Are Talking. WBZ, Boston, Massachusetts. Transsexual Joanna Clark discusses having served in
the military as both a woman and a man, his marriages, and the process of changing
sexes. Kane speaks from the audience.
- 12. "Ari Kane Lecture on Gender Issues." Barry University, Miami, Florida. 1991. 110 minutes.
- Series II. FANTASIA FAIR, 1980-2000 (#16-44)
- Subseries A. Fantasia Fair activities including Kane, 1980-1996 (#16-25)
- 16. "Fantasia Fair: An Experience to Remember." 1980. 26 minutes. 3/4 U-matic videotape.
Scope and Contents: Includes a discussion, co-led by Kane, on how crossdressers can better blend in, interviews
with crossdressers, and fair activities.
- 17. Fantasia Fair, 1981. 48 minutes.
Scope and Contents: Includes workshop footage, commentary by Kane on the workshop and the fair, interviews
with Provincetown locals, auctions and fashion shows, the Follies, fashion tips, parties,
Miss Fantasia Award, etc.
- 18. "Panel Presentation on Crossdressing/Cross-gender Issues in the 90s." 1991. 51 minutes.
Scope and Contents: Provincetown, Massachusetts. Kane speaks on a panel with Jennie Livingston, director
of Paris is Burning, official Fantasia Fair photographer Mariette Pathy Allen, and others.
- 20. "Fantasia Fair, 1993/Berta Walker [Gallery] Show of Helen Strong." 1993. 30 minutes.
Scope and Contents: Provincetown, Massachusetts. Footage from the opening of Strong's photography exhibit
that features the fair's crossdressing community. Kane interviews Strong, her models,
and gallery visitors.
- 25. "Mariette [Pathy Allen] Slide Show." March 7, 1996. 120 minutes.
Scope and Contents: Includes a slide show by official Fantasia Fair photographer Allen, conversation between
Kane and Allen, and a panel discussion (including Allen) with people who work with
the crossdressing community.
- Subseries B. General Fantasia Fair activities, 1980-2000 (#26-44)
- 27. Fantasia Fair Follies, 1988. 90 minutes.
- 28. Fantasia Fair Fashion Show/Follies, 1991. 205 minutes.
- 29. Fantasia Fair Fashion Show/Follies, 1992. 205 minutes.
- 30. Fantasia Fair Fashion Show, 1993. 60 minutes.
- 31. Fantasia Fair Follies, 1993. 90 minutes.
- 32. Fantasia Fair Fashion Show, 1994. 60 minutes.
- 33. Fantasia Fair Follies, 1994. 60 minutes.
- 34. "Fantasia Fair Overview." 1994. 60 minutes.
- 35. Fantasia Fair Fashion Show, 1995. 60 minutes.
- 36. Fantasia Fair Follies, 1995. 90 minutes.
- 37. Fantasia Fair Follies and Fashion Show, 1996. Tape 1 of 2.
- 38. Fantasia Fair Follies and Fashion Show, 1996. Tape 2 of 2.
- 40. Fantasia Fair Fashion Show, 1997. 60 minutes. BetaSP.
- 41. Fantasia Fair Follies, 1997. 90 minutes.
- 42. Fantasia Fair Fashion Show, 1998. 60 minutes.
- 43. Fantasia Fair Fashion Show, 1999. 60 minutes.
Gender identity--United States
Provincetown (Mass.)--Social life and customs--20th century
Sex customs--United States
Transgender people--United States
Allen, Mariette Pathy
Outreach Institute of Gender Studies