[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:RAD.SCHL:sch01137View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
RG IIIA

Radcliffe College. Office of Development. Records of the Radcliffe College Office of Development, 1968-2001: A Finding Aid

Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University

[link]


Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: RG IIIA
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Radcliffe College. Office of Development
Title: Records of the Radcliffe College Office of Development, 1968-2001
Date(s): 1968-2001
Quantity: 18.5 linear feet (16 cartons, 6 file boxes)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Records of Radcliffe College's Office of Development, which was responsible for alumnae gifts, fundraising, and foundation and government grant funding.

Immediate Source of Acquisition:

Records from this office were received in May 1966, and have been sent annually since 1983.

Processing Information:

Processed: August 1984
By: Jane S. Knowles

Access Restrictions:

Access. Records are closed for 50 years from the date of creation except with permission of the Dean of the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. Appointment may be required. Contact public services.

Conditions Governing Use:

Copyright. Copyright in the records created by the Radcliffe College Office of Development is held by the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Records may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.

Preferred Citation:

Radcliffe College Office of Development Records, 1968-2001; item description, dates. RG IIIA, Series #. Radcliffe College Archives, Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.

HISTORY

Fund-raising at every college is a continual necessity and Radcliffe has been no exception. This record group contains the records of appeals since 1929. For earlier records see the papers of Council (RG I, ser. 2), President Comstock's papers (RG II, ser. 2), the Comptroller's records (RG III, ser. 5), and the Dean of College Relations (RG VI, ser. 1-3).
"A Ten Year Plan for Radcliffe" was launched under President Jordan on July 1, 1956, designed to raise $10 million: 4 million for new construction and for the joint Harvard/Radcliffe Health Center and Loeb Theater, $2 million for student financial aid, $1.5 million for the Women's Archives and $3.5 million for capital funds. By 1960, $6 million had been raised and largely absorbed by the joint H/R ventures, The Cronkhite Graduate Center and the three Jordan cooperatives. With the appointment of Mrs. Bunting as President of Radcliffe, the Ten Year Plan expanded beyond its original goal. From 1961-1964, $3 million was raised for capital, $1.5 million for current use and $1.2 million by the sale Longfellow Hall. In 1967, the college launched a new appeal: "A Program for Radcliffe" which sought $15 million for buildings and $15 million for scholarship aid including endowment for the Radcliffe Institute. Amongst other things, the new House Centers, Hilles Library, and Currier House were funded by this.
The Century Fund was luanched in 1978 with three objectives: 1) to raise Alumnae Annual Giving to sustained $1 million by 1981 so as to enable Radcliffe to fulfill its promise to contribute $1.4 million in financial aid to Harvard by 1985; 2) to increase foundation grants to $3.5 million by 1985; 3) to raise $10 million in new endowment to develop Radcliffe's own programs and facilities.
Early appeals were managed by the Committee on Resources, 1915-1930, 1930-1936, The Fund for Endowment and Equipment, 1937-49 and other specially appointed committees. From 1950-61, Mildred Sherman, Dean of College Relations, was responsible for alumnae gifts, fund drives and special projects. The College Fund Office was established after her death in 1961. Directors of the Office have been: Robert Gabriel, 1961-1963, Dorotha (MacMillan) Hanna, 1963-70, Susan (Storey) Lyman, 1970-1972, Hope (Williams) Wigglesworth, 1972-1979, Mary (Jordan) Cox, 1979-1983, and Cecily (Orenstein) Morse, 1983-. In 1972 the office changed its title to Alumnae Affairs and Development. However the records of the Development Office and the Alumnae Association have been kept in separate record groups to simplify records management.

ARRANGEMENT

The collection is arranged in four series:

SCOPE AND CONTENT

These records consist of gift accounts, correspondence with donors, grant proposals, accounts, reports and correspondence with foundations; also memos and reports of appeals. They contain individual gift records (pre and post computer conversion in 1977.) The records have been filed as they were received with no attempt to separate overlapping appeals.

Container List

Additional Index Terms

Notable american women
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
Bunting-Smith, Mary Ingraham, 1910-1998
Fuller, Martha Ann
Horner, Matina
McGhee, Charlotte
Radcliffe College--Alumni and alumnae
Radcliffe College--Buildings
Radcliffe College. Crew
Radcliffe College--Endowments
Radcliffe College--Funds and scholarships
Radcliffe College--History
Stevens, E. (Ellen)
Touborg, Margaret Earley
Women's Trade Union League

sch01137