[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:RAD.SCHL:sch01129View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
RG VIII

Radcliffe College Houses records, 1954-1973: A Finding Aid

Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University

[link]


Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: RG VIII
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Title: Radcliffe College Houses records, 1954-1973
Date(s): 1954-1973
Quantity: 3.34 linear feet (8 file boxes)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Records of Radcliffe College's dormitories and off-campus houses.

Access Restrictions:

Access. Unrestricted.

Conditions Governing Use:

Copyright. Copyright in records created by Radcliffe College Houses is held by the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.

Preferred Citation:

Radcliffe College Houses records, 1954-1973; item description, dates. RG VIII, Series #. Radcliffe College Archives, Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.

History

The House system at Radcliffe, consisting of North, Cabot, and Currier Houses, began in 1962, as an experimental reorganization of the College's nine dormitories and sixteen off-campus houses into three centers: North, South, and East. In 1970, when Currier House was opened, East and South Houses were combined. In 1984 South was renamed Cabot House in honor of Thomas Dudley Cabot '19 and Virginia Wellington Cabot. As a result of the Harvard/Radcliffe merger agreement of 1971, Harvard assumed management of the Radcliffe Houses and integrated them into the Harvard House System.

East House: Masters

South House/now Cabot: Masters

North House (now Pforzheimer): Masters

Currier House: Masters

SCOPE AND CONTENT

Collection contains records of Cabot House (formerly South and East), 1965-1971, including correspondence with house affiliates, lists of students, financial records, and publicity information; minutes of the Committee on House and Undergraduate Living; and student papers from the seminar: The Changing Face of Eve. North House records include Holmes Hall Concert Series, 1957-1962.

Container List

Additional Index Terms

Allen, Annie Winsor, 1865-1955
Barnard, Augusta Allen
Barnard Hall (Cambridge, Mass.)
Bertram Hall (Cambridge, Mass.)
Briggs, Elizabeth, 1863-1937
Briggs Hall (Cambridge, Mass.)
Cabot House (Cambridge, Mass.)
Coes, Mary, 1861-1913
East House (Cambridge, Mass.)
Forbes, Edith Emerson, 1841-1929
Holmes Hall (Cambridge, Mass.)
Hopkinson, Leslie White 1867-1945
Kimball, Clara Bertram
North House (Cambridge, Mass.)
Radcliffe College--Buildings
Radcliffe College. Committee on House and Undergraduate Life
Radcliffe College--Student housing
South House (Cambridge, Mass.)
Whitman Hall (Cambridge, Mass.)

sch01129