Powell, Kristin. Kristin Powell collection on the Radcliffe College Department of
Physical Education, 1985-1987: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: SC 118
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Kristin Powell
Title: Kristin Powell collection on the Radcliffe College Department of Physical Education,
Quantity: 1 linear feet (1 carton)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Athletics department reports, clippings, oral history interviews, etc., compiled by
Accession number: R87-28
This collection was compiled by Kristin Powell and given to the Radcliffe College
Archives in October 1987.
Processed: November 1992
By: Vicky Clisham '95
Access. Collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in the papers created by Kristin Powell as well as copyright
in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Kristin Powell collection on the Radcliffe College Department of Physical Education,
1985-1987; item description, dates. SC 118, folder #. Radcliffe College Archives,
Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
Kristin Powell worked for the Harvard Athletics Department.
This collection consists of materials compiled by Kristin Powell on the history of
Racliffe College Athletics. It includes clippings from the Radcliffe Quarterly, the Radcliffe News, yearbooks, and interviews with alumnae athletes. Also included are reports from
athletic departments, and oral history interviews with athletes. The material is arranged
by decade, and includes separate folders on the more significant athletes. All material
is arranged chronologically.
- 1. Radcliffe athletic history: incomplete drafts, 1879-1900
- 2. Chronology: the development of athletics at Radcliffe, including notes and clippings,
- 3. Notes, articles and clippings re: Dudley Sargent, the Sargent school, fencing. Articles
include: Sullivan and Rosenblatt, "Dr. Dudley Sargent: The Man: His Personality and
Accomplishments," Bruce L. Bennett, "Contributions of Dr. Sargent to physical education,"
Van Wyck, "Harvard Summer School of Physical Education, 1887-1932," Dudley A. Sargent,
"Handbook of Developing Exercises"
- 4. 1879-1899. Notes on physical education at Radcliffe, 1890-1899, clippings re: new
gym, tennis club, trousers for women, sports and athletics by members of the classes
1890-1899, Harvard-Yale track program
- 5. 1900s. Photocopies of teams and sporting events, commencement address, 1901, biography
of Eva A. Mooar '08, clippings and notes
- 6. 1900s. Marjorie Hurd '08: "My Ascent of the Matterhorn on July 28, 1925", Radcliffe Quarterly
- 7. 1910s. Articles include: Dean Briggs, "An Idealist in Athletics," and, "School, College
and Character," Adelaide H. Thierry, "When Radcliffe Was Teen-Age", clippings re:
sport and women's health, various athletic diagrams and photocopied photographs, report
of the director of the gymnasium, information on Harriet Chenery (Bonney) Ryan, and
Bessie Huntting Rudd
- 8. 1920s. Teams, reports, biography of Bessie Huntting Rudd '17, Elizabeth A. Wright
et al, director of the gymnasium, reports by Presidents and Directors of physical
education, and notes
- 9. 1920s. Frances Jennings '23: clippings and photocopied photographs, transcript of
interview, 1987, letter written by Frances Jennings, "1980 Women's Ivy Tennis Championship"
- 10. 1920s. Elizabeth Plimpton "29: magazine clippings re: roller skating, transcript of
interview with Elizabeth Plimpton
- 11. 1920s. Delia Hodson, scrapbook, 1929: clippings and photocopied photographs
- 12. 1930s. Clippings and photocopied photographs, physical education and health reports,
"The American College Girl....by Ten American College Girls", (excerpts)
- 13. 1930s. Marjorie (Sachs) Wilson ex '32, '28-30 re: career as a tennis player, "Boston
Transcript", 1932, articles written by Marjorie (Sachs) Wilson, re: tennis, Radcliffe,
Bermuda and Wimbledon
- 14. 1930s. Photocopies from alumnae special collections, clippings, correspondence, and
interview transcripts re: Maribel Vinson Owen and Emma Knowlton Lythe '32
- 15. 1940s. Reports to trustees and health reports, various interview transcripts, clippings,
Cabot Crew poster, 1945
- 16. 1940s. Dolly Driscoll '47: photocopied sport photographs, clippings re: crew
- 17. 1950s. Letter from Denise Scheinberg, interview transcripts with Ann Karnovsky, Ann
Gordon Bain, clippings, health service reports, notes re: archery
- 18. 1960s. Clippings, photocopied photographs, transcripts, health reports and President's
- 19. 1970s. Clippings and photocopied photographs, athletic memos and reports, reports
of trustees and Presidents and "Standing committee on athletic sports", "Elimination
of Sex Discrimination in Athletic Programs", 1975, excerpt from Federal Register,
- 20. 1980s. New York Times magazine, 1987, clippings and photocopied photographs, hockey
skills test, "interview subjects" for sailing, lacrosse pamphlet, HRFWA articles and
notes, athletic reports 1985-1986
- 21. Radcliffe sports clippings: newspaper clippings, letter from Kristin Powell to the
"Christian Science Monitor"
- 22. Sport overview-Linda Jean Carpenter and R. Vivian Acosta: magazine clippings, re:
"Sport and higher education", Carpenter, "The impact of Title IX on women's intercollegiate
sports", "Women in intercollegiate sport", 1977-1986
- 23. Rose Frisch studies on athletes/non-athletes: articles re: cancer, menarche, amenorrhea,
- 24. Oral interview form and copies
- 25. Library source lists: "Records of Physical Education", 1901-1973, notes
- 26. Lists of names: returned interview/alumni forms
- 27. Interview transcripts: Radcliffe crew coach, Jack Reardon, Leslie Greis, Pippy Rooney
- 28. Annual reports 1963-1970
- 29. Annual reports 1970-1973: scores, newsletters, coaches' reports, calendars, T.A. Nash,
"Address to USA women's Olympic Rowing Committee", letters from Mary Paget, photocopies
- 30. Annual swimming report 1971-1972: clippings and photocopies, schedules, results, attendance
sheets, reports and letters, "Criteria and Awards" for various sports, including swimming,
article re: Special Olympics
- 31. Annual swimming report 1972-1973: clippings, reports, schedules, results, attendance
- 32. Harvard Department of Athletics, "Handbook for Coaches" 1985-1986: fliers on Harvard
recreation 1985-1986, schedules, coaches guide to NCAA manual, freshman athletic brochure
- 33. Nine tapes of interviews on Radcliffe athletics. Interviews include: John Baker (crew
coach), Winthrop House brunch on athletics at Harvard, Pat Miller (Associate Director
of Harvard Athletics), Joe Bertagna (Varsity Club Director), Jack Reardon, (Harvard
Director of Athletics), Pippy Rooney O'Conner (field hockey coach), Nikki Janus (administrator),
Leslie Greis (professional golfer), and Alice McCabe (swim coach).
Shelved as 92-T8.
Physical education for women--Massachusetts
Mooar, Eva Alberta
Radcliffe College. Athletic Association
Radcliffe College. Department of Physical Education
Rudd, Bessie Huntting
Wright, Elizabeth A.