Montgomery, Eleanor Gilbert, 1896-1996. Papers of Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery, 1919-1995
(inclusive), 1914-1938 (bulk): A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: SC 117
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Montgomery, Eleanor Gilbert, 1896-1996
Title: Papers of Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery, 1919-1995 (inclusive), 1914-1938 (bulk)
Quantity: 1.59 linear feet (1 + 1/2 file box, 1 folio box) plus 1 oversize folder)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Scrapbook, grade reports, correspondence, diaries, photographs, etc., of Eleanor Gilbert
Montgomery, Radcliffe College Class of 1918.
Accession numbers: R92-10, R92-13, R93-2, R94-10, R94-19, R94-24, R96-1, R2002-6, 2016-M137
This collection was given to the Radcliffe College Archives between July 1992 and
June 2002 by Jane Montgomery Brooks '47, daughter of Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery, and in July 2016 by Eleanor Gilbert
Montgomery's daughter, Sally Montgomery.
Reprocessed: August 1997
By: Isabelle Bland Dry '35
Reprocessed: August 2008
By: Johanna Carll
Updated and additional materials added: July 2016
By: Anne Engelhart
Access. Collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in the papers created by Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery as well as
copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors'
heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery Papers, 1914-1995; item description, dates. SC 117, box
#, folder #. Radcliffe College Archives, Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute,
Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery was born in Bloomfield, New Jersey in 1896, the daughter
of Carrie Cooper and Seymour Parker Gilbert. She was graduated from Bloomfield High
School and attended Jackson College, Tufts University, for two years, 1914-1916, and
then, at the insistence of her father, transferred to Radcliffe, graduating with the
class of 1918.
Montgomery taught school in New Rochelle, New York, was a bank analyst for one year,
and then married Spencer Bishop Montgomery in 1923, a graduate of Harvard Law School,
class of 1916. They had three daughters and one son. She was a volunteer in scouting
and in hospital work, and a member of Trinity Church, Copley Square. Her hobbies included
drawing, tray painting, wood carving, and crewel embroidery.
This collection consists of a scrapbook 1914-22 of Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery's college
years at Jackson, 1914-1916, and at Radcliffe, 1916-1919; grade reports 1916-1917,
1917-1918, photographs, and other school and college material. There is also biographical
information about Montgomery and her family, Montgomery's correspondence with her
family, 1914-1923, and her husband Spencer Bishop Montgomery's World War I correspondence
with his family, 1917-1919, and with Montgomery, 1922-1978. Also included are two
diaries documenting trips to Europe (1926 by Carrie Cooper Gilbert and 1927 by Montgomery),
a scrapbook compiled by Montgomery's sister Marion C. Gilbert, 1922, and compilations
of letters compiled and edited by Janet Montgomery Brooks documenting the lives of
Montgomery and Spencer Bishop Montgomery. The collection also contains explanatory
notes by her daughter Sally Montgomery. Additional material received in July 2016
(accession number 2016-M137) was added to the collection in July 2016 and is represented
by folders 17, 18, and 19; individual items were also added to folders 5 and 9. Folders
are listed in intellectual, not numerical order.
- Folio box 1, 1v. Scrapbook.
Index of subjects in 1v:
- Davison, Archibald T., 60, 61
- Football, newsclips, 50
- Gallison, Marie Reuter, 61
- Harvard Cosmopolitan Club, 59
- History Club, 60
- Idler, 58
- Radcliffe Choral Society programs, 58, 61, 67, 68
- Radcliffe Class Day, 63, 78
- Radcliffe College--Class of 1918, 1, 30
- Radcliffe Guild, 7, 29, 55
- Student Government--Chaperone rules for halls
of residence, 73
Index of photographs in 1v:
- Eliot Hall students, 84
- Gilbert, Carl J., 125
- Glee Club 1914-1915, 24, 42
- Glee Club and Mandolin Clubs 1915-1916, 76
- Jackson College--campus and students, 18
- Jackson College, theatre programs, "A Midsummer; Night's Dream," 14, 42
- Much Ado About; Nothing, 30
- The Japanese Girl, 15
- Lee, Eleanor '18, 86
- Memorial Hall and Cambridge Common in the snow, 76
- Montgomery, Eleanor Gilbert, 89
- Sports--Tufts, 46
- Start House students (Jackson) 1914-1915,10
- Students, 11, 18, 31, 42, 43, 48
- Tufts campus, 47
- Tufts Field, 54
- Tufts postcard views, 128, 129
- Tufts Preparedness Parade, 42
- Box 2, folder 2. Autograph book 1908-1914
- Box 2, folder 17. Biographical information re: Montgomery and her family; memoir re: youth of her brother
S. Parker Gilbert by Montgomery, 1950s
- Box 2, folder 3. Bloomfield High School Yearbook, 1914
- Box 2, folder 4. School and college (including reunions) 1910-1938
- Box 2, folder 5. Invitation and news clipping, Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery and Spencer Bishop Montgomery's
- Box 2, folder 6. Montgomery to family, 1914-1922
- Box 2, folder 7. Family to Montgomery, 1918-1923
- Box 2, folder 8. Spencer Bishop Montgomery to family, 1917-1919; others to Spencer Bishop Montgomery,
- Box 2, folder 9. Spencer Bishop Montgomery to Eleanor Gilbert Montgomery, 1922-1978; includes itinerary
of trip to Washington, D.C.
- Box 2, folder 10. An Epistolary Sampling: Eleanor Carrie Gilbert and Spencer Bishop Montgomery [transcriptions of family letters, 1914-1977], edited and transcribed by Jane Montgomery
- Folder 11o. The University of the State of New York (SUNY), teaching certificate, 1924, Bloomfield
Public School, 1914
- Folder 12. Photographs of Montgomery and family, 1918, 1991
FILED WITH PHOTOGRAPHS.
- Box 2, folder 13. Carrie Cooper Gilbert European trip diary re: visit with son S. Parker Gilbert, 1926;
includes typed transcript
- Box 2, folder 19. Scrapbook by sister Marion C. Gilbert given to Montgomery on the occasion of her trip
to Europe, 1927
- Box 3, folder 14. Montgomery European trip diary, 1927?; includes typed transcript
- Box 3, folder 15. Scrapbook re: trip to Europe on U.S.S. Leviathan, 1927; includes playbills from Europe,
ship menus, passenger list, etc.
- Box 3, folder 16. Spencer Bishop Montgomery, December 22, 1890 - February 6, 1979: A Portrait in Words, compiled and edited by Janet Montgomery Brooks, 1984
- Box 3, folder 18. Notecards from pencil drawings by Montgomery, 1950s-1960s; also color printouts of
artwork by Montgomery, 1940s-1960s
Tufts University. Jackson College
Voyages and travels
Davison, Archibald T. (Archibald Thompson), 1883-1961
Gallison, Marie (Reuter)
Gilbert, Carl J.
Radcliffe College. Class of 1918