Taylor, Katharine, 1888-1979. Papers of Katharine Taylor, 1912-1976: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: 79-M153
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Katharine Taylor, 1888-1979
Title: Papers of Katharine Taylor, 1912-1976
Quantity: 1.83 linear feet (1 carton, 2 file boxes)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Correspondence, manuscript and typescript drafts of articles and talks, articles,
etc., of Katharine Taylor, educator.
Accession number: 79-M153
These papers of Katharine Taylor were given to the Schlesinger Library by Katharine
Taylor's literary executor, Frank G. Jennings (via Edward Yeomans) in July 1979.
Preliminary inventory: June 1980
By: Sharon M. Vardamis
Access. Collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in the papers created by Katharine Taylor is held by the President
and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in other papers
in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Katharine Taylor Papers, 1912-1976; item description, dates. 79-M153, folder #. Schlesinger
Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
Katharine Taylor: Educator
Born in June 24, 1888 in Hartford, Connecticut. Attended local elementary schools;
secondary school at the Francis W. Parker School, Chicago; Vassar College, A.B., 1910;
University of Michigan, M.A., 1911. Instructor in English at Vassar College, 1913-1916;
member of the faculty of the Parker School, Chicago, from 1916-1921.
Director of the Shady Hill School, Cambridge, 1921-1949. Chairman of Education and
Child Care Project in Germany of Unitarian Service Committee, 1949-1953. Consultant
to New World Foundation, 1955-1976; consultant to International Schools Foundation,
Board Memberships: Vassar College, Francis W. Parker School, Children to Palestine,
New World Foundation.
Died March 12, 1979, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
The collection includes correspondence; manuscript and typescript drafts of articles
and talks; material on the Shady Hill School including information on teacher training,
curriculum and learning, and poetry, articles, and plays by students; and reports
on the International Schools Service and New World Foundation. Folder headings are
- Box 1: 1-59
- Box 2: 60-82
- Box 3: 83-96
- 2. [Katherine Taylor's Obituaries]
- 3. Obituaries/Memorials of Others
- 4. Excerpts and quotations to keep.
- 5. Correspondence. Amsden, Connie, [1957-1975]
- 6. Correspondence. Coles, Dr. Robert and Jane, [1961-1972]
- 7. Correspondence. Featherstone, Jay and Helen, 
- 8. Correspondence. Fogg Helen, [1957-1970]
- 9. Correspondence. Fogg, Helen, Manuscripts
- 10. Correspondence. Hocking, Agnes and Ernest, [1921-1957]
- 11. Correspondence. Jennings, Frank, [1970-1974]
- 12. Correspondence. Jennings, Frank, Katharine Tylor, [1962-1967]
- 13. Correspondence. Jennings, Frank, Memos, New World Foundation, [1962-1967]
- 14. Correspondence. Jennings, Frank, writings, manuscripts
- 15. Correspondence. Johnson, Mrs. Earle (Bloom), [1973-1975]
- 16. Correspondence. Sarton, May, [1964-1970]
- 17. Correspondence. Washburn, Ruth, friends and relatives, [1964-1975]
- 18. Correspondence. Welter, Marianne, [1974-1975]
- 19. Correspondence. Personal correspondences, Miscellaneous, School people, etc., [1971-1975]
- 20. Correspondence. Personal, Letters, tributes, etc., [1912-1975]
- 21. Correspondence. Regarding Persons, [1932-1958]
- 22. Correspondence. Letter to Shady Hill Friends, 
- 23. Correspondence. Chicago Commons Association, Seever, Bergan, Boneckman, 
- 24. [Correspondence. Coolidge Hill, 1924-1929]
- 25. Articles, Katharine Taylor, [1917-1965]
- 27. Vassar, articles and talks
- 28. Talks, Katharine Taylor-Shady Hill School, [1933-1947]
- 29. Talks, Katharine Taylor-Not Shady Hill School, [1937-1974]
- 30. [Talks to Colleges, 1935-1961]
- 31. [Talks to School Groups, 1935-1951]
- 32. [Talks to Educational Organizations and Professional Groups, 1938-1947]
- 33. [Talks to Civic Groups, 1935-1956]
- 35. Shady Hill School, Early Years
- 36. Shady Hill Growth Study
- 37. Shady Hill School 25th Anniversary
- 38. Shady Hill School 50th Anniversary, October 7, 1964, Katharine Taylor Talk
- 39. Shady Hill Banquets, [1923-1947]
- 40. Shady Hill Seminars, [1965-1966]
- 41. Shady Hill Fund, Finances, 1974
- 42. Shady Hill Staff Meetings, 1927-1930 Samples
- 43. Shady Hill Staff Meetings, 1938-1940
- 44. Shady Hill Staff Meetings, 1940-1942 (War Years)
- 45. Shady Hill Staff Meetings, 1947-1949
- 46. Shady Hill School Staff, Discussions, Correspondences, [1945-1949]
- 47. Shady Hill School. Katharine Taylor's Discussions and Notes on Brearley School and
Shady Hill, 
- 48. Shady Hill School, Articles and Correspondence - Hocking, Ernest, 1954-1957
- 49. Shady Hill Teachers Training, General, Outlines
- 50. Shady Hill School Assignments, Shady Hill Teachers Training
- 51. Shady Hill School Teacher Training, etc.
- 52. Shady Hill Teacher Training, General, Giles 1958 Evaluation
- 53. Shady Hill School, Samples of Special Events
- 54. Shady Hill. Learning Process, General
- 55. Shady Hill. Order, Routine, etc. Development of Student Responsibility and Student
- 56. Shady Hill. Education, General-Progressive Ed. Movement, F.W. Parker
- 57. Shady Hill. Education: Ideas and Principles - McCarthy
- 58. Shady Hill. Education: Ideas and Principles - Katharine Taylor
- 59. Shady Hill. Education: Ideas and Principles - Whitehead, Walles, etc.
- 60. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning; English, Caudill
- 61. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: Katharine Taylor English
- 62. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: English, Children's Writings
- 63. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: English, Ryerson Article, Children's Writings
- 64. Shady Hill. Study of History
- 65. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: Centrals Subject, History
- 66. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: Languages, Katharine Taylor, McCarthy
- 67. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: Math, Science, McCarthy, Putnam
- 68. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: Music (Crane), Art (Scott)
- 69. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: Division A, 5 year olds - Group I and II, 1935-1940
- 70. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: Division B, 1935 Group III
- 71. Shady Hill. Curriculum and Learning: Division C: 1936-1937, Group IV and V.
- 72. Shady Hill. Education General, Katharine Taylor Reading Notes-Early Thinkers
- 73. Shady Hill. Education General, Katharine Taylor Reading Notes - Later Thinkers
- 74. Shady Hill Children, Clinical Study, Ruth Washburn
- 75. Shady Hill. Personality Study: Case Studies, Special Themes.
Transferred from closed files in November 2009.
- 76. Shady Hill. Personality Study: Competition; Standards, Measure, Rewards, Penalties
- 77. Shady Hill. Personality Study: Washburn, Infancy and Maturing
- 78. Shady Hill. Personality Study: Adolescence, Katharine Taylor Talks to Division D parents
- 79. Shady Hill. Personality Study: Maturing
- 80. Shady Hill. Special Themes: Staff Membership, Staff and Parents, Professional Attitudes
- 81. Shady Hill. Special Themes: Education in Different Cultures
- 82. Shady Hill. Special Themes: Success and Failure
- 83. [Shady Hill Newsletters, Shady Hill Handbook, Articles, Speeches]
- 84. [Shady Hill Drama - Socrates, 1959]
- 85. [Shady Hill Children's Remarks, writings, etc.]
- 86. Shady Hill. Poems [by Children at Shady Hill]
- 87. History Reference Council, [1920s and 1930s]
- 88. Manhattan Schools, [1973-1975]
- 90. International Schools Services, Katharine Taylor's Reports, 1959-1960
- 91. Schools Abroad, Correspondence; [1960s]
- 92. New World Foundation, Experience in Education
- 93. New World Foundation - Education Project, Memos, Staff Board, 1959-1964.
- 94. Oral History, Correspondence - Colman, Jennings, [1960s-1970s]
- 95. Oral History, [1948-1968]
- 96. Oral History, [1960s]
Hocking, William Ernest, 1873-1966
International Schools Service
New World Foundation
Sarton, May, 1912-1995
Shady Hill School (Cambridge, Mass.)