Shaver, Dorothy, 1897-1959. Papers of Dorothy Shaver, 1947-1956: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: A-48
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Shaver, Dorothy, 1897-1959
Title: Papers of Dorothy Shaver, 1947-1956
Quantity: .42 linear feet (1 file box)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Speeches, articles, clippings, etc., of Dorothy Shaver, president of Lord & Taylor,
a New York City department store.
Accession numbers: 54-85, 55-34, 55-42, 56-9
Gift of Miss Dorothy Shaver, Lord & Taylor, Inc., Fifth Ave., New York, N.Y. Received December 1954. Additional
materials were received April 1955 (55-34), May 1955 (55-42), November 1955 (56-9),
and January 1956.
Access. Collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in the papers created by Dorothy Shaver as well as copyright
in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Dorothy Shaver Papers, 1947-1956; item description, dates. A-48, folder #. Schlesinger
Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
Dorothy Shaver was President of Lord & Taylor, a New York City department store. For
further information, see Notable American Women, the Modern Period.
Articles and addresses by Dorothy Shaver, President of Lord & Taylor, Inc. The speeches
for the American Design Awards Luncheons show her broad interest in world affairs;
others show her interest in fashion and the field of design.
- 2. Speech: "Italian fashion thru the ages" and press release for the American Chamber
of Commerce for trade with Italy. Star of Solidarity presented to Miss Shaver, November
- 3. "No. 1 Career woman: Dorothy Shaver." by Jeanne Perkins. Life magazine, May 12, 1947.
- 4. National Conference of Christians and Jews. Program of dinner in honor of Dorothy
Shaver, April 3, 1954.
- 5. Welcome to a new member of Lord & Taylor. 9 page booklet.
- 6. Lord and Taylor's American Design Awards luncheon, 1948. booklet.
- 7. Address at 11th Annual American Design Awards presentation, April 23, 1948.
- 8. "Your career in the retail world." article for the Book of Knowledge, Supplement.
- 9. Lord & Taylor American Design Awards booklet, 1949
- 10. Address at 12th annual American Design Awards luncheon, May 4, 1949.
- 11. Lord & Taylor American Design Awards booklet, 1950.
- 12. Address at 13th American Design Awards presentation, April 19, 1950
- 13. Speech - Museum of modern art, November 21, 1950.
- 14. Address - before the Fashion Group, February 13, 1951
- 15. Address at Lord & Taylor awards, April 18, 1951. (American Design awards)
- 16. Address - at 34th commencement exercises of Russell Sage College, Troy, New York,
June 2, 1951.
- 17. Article for Better Design magazine.
- 18. Article for This Week Magazine, March 2, 1952. (reprint)
- 19. Lord & Taylor awards booklet, 1952.
- 20. Address - at Lord & Taylor 15th award luncheon, April 16, 1952.
- 21. Address - at Trail Blazer luncheon of Home Fashions League, October 1, 1952.
- 22. Address - before the Fashion Group, Nov. 13, 1952
- 23. Telegram answer to ABC on qualifications for business success. n.d. 1952-1953?
- 24. Lord & Taylor awards booklet, 1953.
- 25. Address - at Lord & Taylor awards luncheon, May 4, 1953.
- 26. "The new American look in living" for House Beautiful, June 1953.
- 27. Lord & Taylor awards booklet, 1954.
- 28. Address - 17th annual Lord & Taylor awards luncheon, May 3, 1954.
- 29. "The strength of freedom" Address on receiving Gold Medal award at dinner sponsored
by the National Conference of Christian and Jews, April 13, 1954.
- 30. "Party of the Year," Dorothy Shaver, chairman. November 24, 1954. Program and news
- 31. "The best advice I ever had." article for the Reader's Digest.
- 32. "In elegant battle." article for Town and Country
- 33. "This I believe" Speech for Ed. Murrow's radio series, 1954-1955.
- 34. Address - before the Philadelphia Fashion Group, February 7, 1955
- 35. Article for Civil Defense in C.D. Topics, volume 2, number 2, February 1955
- 36. "Let's talk" -house organ on Philadelphia store opening, March 1955.
- 37. Newspapers clippings re opening of Philadelphia store, February 22, 1955.
- 38. Remarks before the Society of Industrial Designers at the Museum of Modern Art, April
- 39. Address - at annual dinner - The Greater New York Fund, April 25, 1955.
- 40. "The story of New York - an island fantasy." Address at 18th annual Lord & Taylor
award luncheon, May 16, 1955. booklet.
- 41. Letter to Miss Josephine K. Piercy, Indiana University, December 1, 1955.
- 42. Remarks - at luncheon of J.W. Robinson Co., Los Angeles, January 4,1956
- 43. Address - before the Fashion Group, Los Angeles, January 6, 1956.
American design awards
Lord & Taylor