OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:RAD.SCHL:sch00814View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: SC 60
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Title: Radcliffe College Library collection relating to Ann Radcliffe, 1894-1977
Quantity: .21 linear feet (1/2 file box) plus 1 folio+ folder)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Correspondence, genealogical charts, clippings, etc., about Ann Radcliffe, the first woman donor to Harvard College.
The following item has been removed from the collection:
- Mowlson chapel and coat of armsPhotographs have been removed to the photograph collection.The following items have been removed to RGXX, Series 2:
- Radcliffe, Ann, coat of arms
Ann Radcliffe, or Lady Mowlson, established the first scholarship at Harvard College in 1643- the sum of one hundred pounds to aid "some poore Scholar". She was born in London in 1576, married Thomas Mowlson in 1600, and had two children, both of whom died young. Her husband died in 1658, leaving her half of his estate which she managed so well that its value was increased considerably. She was a shrewd, independent and active woman who lent money to Parliament and espoused the Puritan cause. She died in 1661. As Ann Radcliffe was the first woman donor to Harvard College, it was suggested by President Eliot that her name be taken by the as yet unnamed Harvard "Annex." In 1894, The Society for the Collegiate Instruction of Women became Radcliffe College, adopting her coat of arms as its official seal.
Articles on the life of Ann Radcliffe, clippings, genealogical charts, correspondence, photostats, information on the Lady Mowlson Scholarship, and information on the Radcliffe Seals.