Mothers' Discussion Club (Cambridge, Mass.). Records of the Mothers' Discussion Club,
1899-2016: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: B-13
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Mothers' Discussion Club (Cambridge, Mass.)
Title: Records of the Mothers' Discussion Club, 1899-2016
Quantity: 1.25 linear feet (3 file boxes), 3 photograph folders)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Constitutions, financial records, minutes, etc., of the Mothers' Discussion Club of
Cambridge (Mass.), an organization originally established to discuss problems relating
to children and child rearing.
Accession numbers: 55-38, 549, 76-149, 87-M197, 88-M139, 89-M216, 93-M28, 95-M50, 96-M90, 97-M63, 98-M76,
99-M67, 99-M144, 99-M157, 2000-M42, 2000-M48, 2000-M177, 2001-M70, 2003-M21, 2003-M65,
2004-M21, 2006-M79, 2012-M206, 2016-M143. Accession numbers 87-M197--2016-M143 were added in January 2017.
The records of the Mothers' Discussion Club were given to the Schlesinger Library
by the Mothers' Discussion Club between 1955 and 2016.
Processed: March 1977
By: Louise Schlepark
Updated and additional materials added: January 2017
Access. Collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in the records created by the Mothers' Discussion Club as well
as copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the
authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Records may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Mothers' Discussion Club Records, 1899-2016; item description, dates. B-13, folder
#. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University.
The Mothers' Discussion Club of Cambridge, Mass. was founded in 1899 to discuss problems
relating to children: appropriate reading material, obedience, physical training,
clothing, manners, hygiene, public schools, feeding, punishment, and so on. Later,
topics of discussion were broadened to include: art, literature, other clubs and organizations,
international affairs, travel and community affairs.
The collection includes minutes of meetings, most of which report on talks by speakers;
lists of officers and members; some essays by members; and constitutions and by-laws.
Additional material received between 1987 and 2016 (accession numbers 87-M197 through
2016-M143) were added to the collection in January 2017. These materials are housed
in #2.7-3.12, PD.1-PD.3; all other files remain in the same order. Folders formerly
numbered #1-17 are now numbered #1.1-2.6.
- 1.1. Constitutions, 1914-1948.
See also folders 2.4-2.5.
- 1.2v. Minutes of meetings, 1899-1906.
- 1.3. Typed transcript of 1.2v, copied by Club member, 1976.
- 1.4v. Minutes of meetings, 1906/1907-1916/1917.
- 1.5. Minutes of meetings, 1917/1918-1934/1935.
- 1.6. Minutes of meetings, 1935/1936-1947/1948.
- 1.7. Minutes of meetings, 1948/1949-1956/1957.
- 1.8. Lists of officers and committees, 1899/1900-1972/1973.
- 1.9. Membership lists, attendance records, dues paid, etc., 1917-1934, 1936, 1940-1942.
- 1.10. Membership lists and attendance records, 1948/1949-1957/1958.
- 1.11. World War I: essays by members about their war work and war service by relatives,
- 2.1. Tribute to Faith Fenn, by Mrs. Samuel Eliot, 1944.
- 2.2. 50th anniversary party: essay on the Club and Cambridge in 1899, invitations, lyrics
of songs sung.
- 2.3. Correspondence, 1950.
- 2.4. Minutes of meetings, membership lists, attendance records, and constitutions, 1958/1959-1962/1963.
- 2.5. Minutes of meetings, membership lists, attendance records, and constitutions, 1963/1964-1967/1968.
- 2.6. Minutes of meetings, membership lists, attendance records, and constitutions, 1968/1969-1972/1973.
- 2.7. Minutes of meetings, etc., 1972/1973-1978/1979
- 2.8. Minutes of meetings, etc., 1979-1981/1982
- 2.9. Minutes of meetings, etc., 1982/1983-1983/1984, n.d.
- 2.10. Minutes of meetings, etc., 1985/1986-1989/1990
- 2.11. Minutes of meetings, etc., 1990/1991-1992/1993
- 3.1. Minutes of meetings, etc., 1993/1994-1995/1996
- 3.2. Minutes of meetings, etc., 1996/1997-1997/1998
- 3.3. Minutes of meetings, etc., 1998/1999-1999/2000; includes centennial volume, April
- 3.4. History of Mothers' Thursday Club, 1920-1995 (used for Mothers' Discussion Club centennial
- 3.5. Minutes of meetings, etc., 2000/2001-2002/2003
- 3.6. Minutes of meetings, etc., 2005/2006, 2008/2009-2009/2010
- 3.7. Minutes of meetings, etc., 2010/2011
- 3.8. Minutes of meetings, etc., 2011/2012
- 3.9. Minutes of meetings, etc., 2012/2013-2013/2014
- 3.10. Minutes of meetings, etc., 2014/2015-2015/2016; includes transmit book (duties of
officers, etc.), May 2015
- 3.11. Nominations and new members, 2000s
- 3.12. Poems, etc. re: winter (read at Mothers' Discussion Club meeting?), n.d.
- PD.1. Photographs of three play performances, 1974, 1975, 1980
- PD.2. Photographs of centennial dinner, Harvard Faculty Club, April 2000
- PD.3. Photographs of annual meeting, May 2000
Cambridge (Mass.)--Social life and customs
Minutes (administrative records)
Women--Societies and clubs
World War, 1914-1918--Women