DVD-105, T-128, Vt-92
NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts (Organization). Audiovisual collection of NARAL Pro-Choice
Massachusetts, ca.1980-2004: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: DVD-105, T-128, Vt-92
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts (Organization)
Title: Audiovisual collection of NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts, ca.1980-2004
Quantity: 11 videotapes
Quantity: 1 DVDs
Quantity: 3 audiotapes
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Audiovisual material from annual meetings, rallies, workshops and other events of
NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts, the Massachusetts affiliate of the National Abortion
Rights Action League (NARAL).
Accession numbers: 82-M192, 97-M157, 2008-M109
These videotapes, audiotapes, and DVD were given to the Schlesinger Library between
September 1982 and July 2008 by NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts.
Processed: December 1997
By: Kelley Gove
Updated July 2014
By Cat Lea Holbrook
Access. The records are restricted under an agreement between the Schlesinger Library
and NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts. An appointment is necessary to use any audiovisual
Copyright. Copyright in the recordings created by NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts is
held by NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts. Copyright in other audiovisual material in
the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. A may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts Audiovisual collection, ca.1980-2004; item description,
dates. Vt-92, DVD-105, T-128, reel or disc #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute,
Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
There is related material at the Schlesinger Library; see NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts
Records, 1972-2008 (MC 659
The Massachusetts Organization for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (MORAL) was incorporated
on September 11, 1972, as the Massachusetts state affiliate for National Association
for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL). MORAL was a non-profit, political organization
whose purpose was to develop and sustain a constituency which utilized the political
process to protect a woman's right to a legal abortion. MORAL changed its name to
Mass Choice in 1984, highlighting its commitment to the concept of choice, not just
abortion rights. Mass Choice changed its name again in 1996 to Mass NARAL, as did
many other state affiliates, to clarify its relationship to NARAL. When NARAL became
NARAL Pro-Choice America in 2003, Mass NARAL followed, becoming NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts.
This collection includes videotapes highlighting the responses of NARAL and other
pro-choice organizations to the Webster v. Reproductive Health Services court decision
and to the attempt in Congress to ban late-term abortions; a five-part series on abortion
featuring pro-choice and pro-life speakers in Massachusetts; and a NARAL instructional
video. Other videotapes include annual meeting workshops, the annual Chocolate Madness
fund raiser, and footage from the "March for Women's Lives" in 2004. Audiotapes include
an interview with Jane Toussaint of NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts and chef Lee Napoli
on the radio program Table Talk discussing Chocolate Madness, NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts's annual fund raiser.
Additional audiovisual material received with the records of NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts
were added to the collection in July 2014. These materials are housed by format. All
other files remain in the same order. Folders are listed in intellectual, not numerical,
order. This collection is arranged by format, then chronologically.
- T-128.1. Massachusetts Organization for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (MORAL) meeting re: Impact
80, ca.1980. Audiocassette. 120 minutes.
- T-128.2. Audio from Massachusetts Organization for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (MORAL) meeting
with Planned Parenthood, Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, NOW, and League of
Women Voters re: campaign and committee building, August 21, 1983. Audiocassette.
- T-128.3. WTKK's Table Talk with Annie Copps. Interview with Jane Toussaint and Lee Napoli re: Chocolate Madness,
April 7, 2001. Audiocassette. 60 minutes.
- DVD-105.1. Packing the Courts: The Battle Over President Bush's Judicial Appointments, 2003. Produced by Alliance for Justice. Includes film guide. DVD. 28 minutes.
- Vt-92.1. "Your Politics" series on abortion. Five parts feature questions asked of Joyce Cunha
of Mass Choice and Ruth Pakaluk of Mass Citizens for Life, on topics including legalization
of abortion; minors' access to abortion; nomination of Robert H. Bork to Supreme Court;
federal funding for abortions; and abortion in cases of rape. September 1987. Produced
by TV66, WNSH, Framingham, Massachusetts. VHS. 20 minutes.
- Vt-92.2. "Phone Banking." NARAL instructional video explaining why phone banking is necessary
and how to set up a phone bank; includes actual training sessions. November 20, 1989.
VHS. 24 minutes.
- Vt-92.3. "One Year Later." NARAL overview of effects of July 3, 1989, Webster v. Reproductive
Health Services Supreme Court decision giving states the right to restrict abortion
services. Highlights mobilization efforts of NARAL in reaction to this decision. 1990(?)
VHS. 12 minutes.
- Vt-92.5. Mass Choice annual meeting. Footage from workshop, "The Politics of Reproduction:
Ruth Hubbard, Joan Furlong, Judy Norsigian, Melinda Fine," March 16, 1991. VHS. 90
- Vt-92.6. Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania, v. Robert P. Casey, June 30, 1992.
Footage from day after rally on Boston Common. VHS. 18 minutes.
- Vt-92.7. Mass Choice annual meeting, 1993. Footage from keynote speech by Kate Michelman. VHS. 120
- Vt-92.8. Mass Choice annual meeting, 1993. Footage from speech by Dr. Kenneth Edelin. VHS. 27
- Vt-92.4. "Legislating a Tragedy." Features two women telling of complications that arose in
their wanted pregnancies that led to need for late-term abortions. Created in response
to a bill in Congress to ban late-term abortions, by Center for Reproductive Law and
Policy and National Abortion Federation. 1995. VHS. 11 minutes.
- Vt-92.9. Chocolate Madness, May 21, 1997. Footage from annual fund raiser. VHS. 34 minutes.
- Vt-92.10. WHDH-TV, Boston Massachusetts. "Politics of the Pill," January 19, 2002. Footage of
newscast on emergency contraceptives. VHS. 6 minutes.
- Vt-92.11. March for Women's Lives: March for Freedom of Choice, April 25, 2004. Footage of NARAL
Pro-Choice Massachusetts members marching. VHS. 11 minutes.
Abortion--Law and legislation--Massachusetts
Abortion--Law and legislation--United States
Abortion--Political aspects--United States
Center for Reproductive Law & Policy
Edelin, Kenneth, 1939-2013
National Abortion Rights Action League