MC 223; T-131
Family Planning Oral History Project. Records of the Family Planning Oral History
Project, 1909-1984: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: MC 223; T-131
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Family Planning Oral History Project
Title: Records of the Family Planning Oral History Project, 1909-1984
Quantity: .83 linear feet (2 file boxes) plus 1 audiotape)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Research materials collected by the interviewers of the Family Planning Oral History
Project, an oral history project of the Schlesinger Library.
Accession numbers: 77-M222, 83-M148, 84-M218
The research materials for the Family Planning Oral History Project were given to
the Schlesinger Library by Jeannette Bailey Cheek, Ellen Chesler, and James W. Reed, interviewers for the Project, between 1973 and 1983, and by the Population Council in 1984.
Processed: November 1980
By: Nancy Lattanzio
Access. Collection is open for research. An appointment is necessary to use any audiovisual
Copyright. Copyright in the records created by Family Planning Oral History Project
is held by the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library.
Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors'
heirs or assigns.
Copying. Records may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Family Planning Oral History Project. Records, 1909-1984; item description, dates.
MC 223, folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge,
There is related material at the Schlesinger Library; see Family Planning Oral History
Project Interviews (OH-1, T-25
From 1973 to 1977, the Schlesinger Library carried on an oral history project, funded
by two two-year grants from the Rockefeller Foundation, on the role of women in the
family planning movement. All but one of the interviewees were women, and many were
physicians or nurses. The project concentrated first on the birth control movement
and then on abortion law reform. For further information on the project, see Family
Planning Oral History Project Interviews (OH-1, T-25
This collection consists of research materials collected by the interviewers, some
of it given to them by the interviewees. A large proportion are photocopies, with
some printed items and a small amount of typescript and manuscript material and photographs.
Several of the interviewees have collections of papers in the Schlesinger Library.
- 1. Elizabeth Arnold, R.N. Curriculum vitae, photographs, etc.; Maternity Center Association:
report, 1963, pamphlet, 1970; Margaret Sanger Research Bureau: reports, lesson plans,
etc., 1959-1972, n.d.
- 2. Elizabeth Arnold, R.N. Maternity and Child Health Demonstration Project, Taipei, Taiwan;
R.O.C.: annual reports, 1969-1972; notes to James Reed, 1975; curriculum vitae and
photographs of Julia Lieo; Family Planning International Assistance: correspondence,
press release, 1973
- 2a. Elizabeth Arnold, R.N. Interview by James Reed with Elizabeth Arnold and Marjorie
Humphries, November 15, 1974.
REQUEST AS T-131.
- 3. Beatrice Blair. Curriculum vitae, personal statement re: joining the ministry, photocopies
of newspaper articles; Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Planned Parenthood
of New York City: correspondence, memos, newsletters re: NY State Abortion Education
- 4. Beatrice Blair. NARAL: correspondence, reports, voting charts, 1973-1974, newsletters,
- 5. Loraine Leeson Campbell. Planned Parenthood of Massachusetts: several versions of
edited transcripts of an interview with Martha Stuart, July 14, 1967; correspondence,
- 6. Loraine Leeson Campbell. Articles and reprint from Vassar friend; correspondence,
1973-1974; Nine photographs of Campbell
- 7. Arlene Carmen: National Clergy Consultation Service on Abortion: reports, clippings,
newsletters, February 1970 - October 1973
- 8. Florence Clothier, M.D. Curriculum vitae, bibliography; New England Home for Little
Wanderers: correspondence, memos, clippings, re: her not being appointed to Children's
Bureau position, November 1956 - April 1957
- 9. Florence Clothier, M.D. Fall River Mental Health Center: reports, 1970-1974; Euthanasia
Educational Council: pamphlet, 1973
- 10. Constance Cook. New York State Assembly: press releases, memos, reports, etc., 1968-1972;
transcripts of Senate Health Committee hearings, 1971
- 11. Constance Cook. New York State Council of Churches: statements, 1970; NARAL, NOW Committee
for Abortion Repeal: pamphlets, memos, 1970, n.d.; Association for Study of Abortion:
- 12. Martha May Eliot, M.D.: Article on Sheppard-Towner Act, report on luncheon meeting
with Eleanor Roosevelt
- 13. Estelle T. Griswold. Curriculum vitae, article re: Griswold, 1954
- 14. Estelle T. Griswold. Planned Parenthood League of Connecticut: correspondence, newsletters,
clippings; 2 glossy photographs of Griswold; articles on birth control, pamphlets,
flyers, 1954-1975, n.d.
- 15. Louise Hutchins, M.D.: Mountain Maternal Health League: pamphlet on history of Family
Planning in Kentucky, 1973; clippings, 1975; Rockcastle County Health Department:
reports, clippings, articles, 1966-1973
- 16. Sarah Marcus, M.D.: Woman's General Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio: correspondence, articles,
clippings, studies, newsletters, 1935, 1971-1974, n.d.; miscellaneous papers re: history
of the hospital, 1909-1973; United States Supreme Court: La Fleur vs. Cleveland Board
of Education, opinions, 1971
- 17. Emily Hartshorne Mudd, Ph.D.: American Association of Marriage Counselors: reviews,
pamphlets, 1941, 1967, 1975; Dr. Stuart Mudd: transcript of interview by James Reed,
- 18. Lonny Myers, M.D. Curriculum vitae, bibliography; Citizens for Extension of Birth
Control Services: memos, newsletters, testimonies, clippings, 1963-1965; NARAL: clippings,
- 19. Lonny Myers, M.D. Reports, correspondence, statements of Illinois Citizens for Medical
Control of Abortion, Midwest Population Center, Midwest Association for Study of Human
Sexuality, and National Organization for Non-Parents, 1969-1974
- 20. Lana Clarke Phelan and Patricia Maginnis: Society for Humane Abortion: statements,
reports, newsletters, clippings, etc. including a list of Mexican doctors available
to perform abortions, 1964, 1968, 1971; transcripts and documents from Supreme Court
cases: The State of Oklahoma vs. W.J. Bryan Henrie, D.O., 1962 (?) and 1970 appeal;
People of State of California vs. Rowena Gurner and Patricia Maginnis, 1967; and W.J.
Bryan Henrie, D.O. vs. Blankenship, May and Smith, 1970
- 21. Adeline Satterthwaite, M.D.: Chapters XX and XXI of manuscript biography of Clarence
J. Gamble, by Greer Williams.
- 22. Helen Brooke Taussig, M.D.: Draft of biographical section of interview; articles re:
Blalock-Taussig operation, 1971-1976; testimony re: House and Senate bills on abortion,
- 23. Tietze, Christopher, M.D.: Pamphlet: memorial service for Tietze, May 9, 1984
- 24. Julia Tsuei, M.D.: Curriculum vitae; Maternal and Child Health Demonstration Project,
Taipei, Taiwan: photographs, reports
See #1 for additional reports.
Abortion--New York (State)
Birth control--United States
Maternal and infant welfare
New York (State)--Politics and government
Women in medicine
Women in science--United States
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
Blair, Beatrice, 1929-1994
Campbell, Loraine Leeson, 1905-1982
Clothier, Florence, 1903-1987
Cook, Constance, 1919-2009
Eliot, Martha M. (Martha May), 1891-1978
Gamble, Clarence James, 1894-1966
Hutchins, Louise Gilman, 1911-1996
Maginnis, Patricia Therese
Marcus, Sarah, 1894-1985
Margaret Sanger Research Bureau
Maternal and Child Health Demonstration Project (Taipei, Taiwan)
Maternity Center Association (New York, N.Y.)
Mudd, Emily Hartshorne
Mudd, Stuart, 1893-1975
National Abortion Rights Action League
National Association for Repeal of Abortion Laws (U.S.)
Phelan, Lana Clarke
Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Planned Parenthood League of Connecticut
Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts
Reed, James, 1944-
Rockefeller, Nelson A. (Nelson Aldrich), 1908-1979
Satterthwaite, Adaline Pendleton
Taussig, Helen B. (Helen Brooke), 1898-1986
Tietze, Christopher, 1908-1984
United States. Children's Bureau.