OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:RAD.SCHL:sch00570View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© 1987 President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MC 380
Repository: Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute
Creator: Cynthia H. Enloe, 1938-
Title: Papers of Cynthia H. Enloe, 1977-1984
Quantity: .63 linear feet (1+1/2 file boxes) plus 1 folio folder
Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Reports, memoranda, and correspondence generated by the Clark University administration and the principal figures in a sexual harassment case during the early 1980s collected by Cynthia H. Enloe, professor of government.
Born in New York City on July 16, 1938, Cynthia H. Enloe received her doctorate from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1967. Since 1972 she has been professor of government at Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts; in 1980-1982 she served as the department chair. A member of the university's Sexual Harassment Task Force, 1980-1981, Enloe gathered these papers to document the issues and lawsuits arising from charges of sexual harassment directed by sociology professor Ximena Bunster, against a fellow faculty member, Sidney Peck. Enloe was also a member of the Committee for Fairness to Ximena Bunster. In time, the conflict came to divide the left, and there was a debate as to what role, if any, Peck was to play in organizing the march for a nuclear freeze held in New York City on June 12, 1982. A brief chronology follows:
- June 1980:
- Ximena Bunster, visiting associate professor of sociology, files complaint with Clark University, alleging sexual harassment by her department chair, Sidney Peck.
- ca. August 1980:
- Committee to Support Sid Peck is formed.
- November 1980:
- Bunster is joined by sociology professor Elizabeth (Betsy) Stanko in filing discrimination charges with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) against Clark University, protesting both sexual harassment and retaliation for complaining of sexual harassment.
- November 1980:
- Committee for Fairness to Ximena Bunster is formed.
- December 1980:
- Following recommendation of faculty Committee on Personnel, Clark University issues statement of charges against Peck.
- Early 1981:
- Peck files complaint with National Labor Relations Board, claiming Clark University investigation arises from his labor activities.
- March 24, 1981:
- Clark University and Peck drop all charges against one another and release one another from liability.
- March 25, 1981:
- Peck files suit against Bunster, Stanko, et al., charging defamation of character (Peck suit).
- October 1981:
- Stanko, Bunster, et al. file suit against Clark University et al., alleging Clark University policy violates federal and state civil rights laws (Stanko suit).
- March 1982:
- Enloe, among others, is subpoenaed by the defense to testify in the Stanko suit.
- April 1982:
- Out-of-court settlement in Peck suit.
- May 1982:
- Out-of-court settlement in Stanko suit.
This collection consists of reports, memoranda, and correspondence generated by the Clark University administration and the principal figures in this sequence of lawsuits. Court documents and clippings, and statements and publicity from the Boston peace movement provide further details concerning the widening of the initial dispute. Also included are correspondence, press releases, and financial records of the Committee for Fairness to Ximena Bunster, as well as letters and statements by the Committee to Support Sid Peck.A letter to Enloe from a former Clark University faculty member is closed until January 1, 2050 (see #13a).
- Box 1: 1-6, 9-13, 14-15, 17
- Box 2: 7-8, 13a
The following item has been removed from the collection and deposited in Schlesinger Library's serials collection, July 1987:
- Radical America, vol. 15, no. 4The following item has been removed from the collection and deposited in Schlesinger Library's books collection, July 1987:
- Fighting Sexual Harassment: An Advocacy Handbook (Boston: Alyson Publications and Alliance Against Sexual Coercion, 1981)