Eastman, Crystal, 1881-1928. Papers, 1889-1931: A Finding AidArthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
© 1982 Radcliffe College
Call No.: 82-M4
Repository: Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute
Creator: Catherine Crystal Eastman, 1881-1928
Title: Papers, 1889-1931
Quantity: 6 cartons, 1/2 file box, 1 folio folder
Abstract: Annis (Ford) Eastman's sermons, talks, and other writings, correspondence, photographs,
etc., of Crystal Eastman, social investigator, peace worker, and feminist.
Preliminary inventory: March 1982
By: Pat King and Jane S. Knowles
Accession number: 82-M4
This collection was purchased by the Schlesinger Library from Yvette Eastman in January 1982
Crystal Eastman. Papers, 1889-1931; item description, dates. 82-M4, folder #. Schlesinger
Library, Radcliffe Institute,
Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
For biographical information re: Crystal Eastman and her mother Annis (Ford) Eastman,
see Notable American Women, 1607-1950, Vol I.
This collection consists of Annis Ford Eastman's sermons, talks and travel diary;
also family correspondence to and from Crystal Eastman, including both typescripts
and originals of CCE's letters to AFE, her father, Samuel Elijah Eastman, and her
brother, Max Eastman. There are also letters from CCE's friends and from her husband
Walter Fuller, articles by CCE and papers relating to her estate.
The collection is arranged in two series:
Series I. Sermons etc. Annis (Ford) Eastman's sermons, talks and other writings,
1893-1910 and n.d.; see #124 for travel diary.
Series II. Correspondence. Letters written by AFE and other family members to Crystal
and from CCE to AFE, her father and brother, 1889-1928; also photographs and other
papers of CCE.
- Box 1: 1-25
- Box 2: 26-42
- Box 3: 43-72
- Box 4: 73-114
- Box 5: 115-162
- Box 6: 163-199
- Box 7: 200-202
- Series I, 1-96: Sermons, etc., by AFE
- 1-48: Dated sermons, 1893-1910
- 2. November-December, 1893
- 33. January-March, September, 1904
- 49-80: Undated Sermons. (Titles are AFE's)
- 51. Ye are Christ's, Christ is God's. For Children. March
- 52. First Christian Church; Happy Yet Troubled; Children's sermons.
- 53. The Child's Share. Readings.
- 54. Lenten Talk. Tannhauser the Ministrel.
- 55. Funeral of Willie Sampson. "Come unto me all ye that labor."
- 56. Rebekah; West Bromfield Centennial.
- 58. The Teaching of the Hill
- 60. Shadow of Peter. Ask and Ye shall receive.
- 62. Our Religion. What is it? The Church and the Unchurched, printed.
- 63. The Greatest Word of Religion
- 64. The Freedom of Service
- 65. The Religion of Jesus
- 67. Duty at Home, Duty in Society
- 74. Missionary Addresses, Tent and Temple
- 75. Prayer Meeting Talks, etc.
- 76. Psychical Research; Religions of India.
- 77. GAR Address: The Flower of War
- 78. Power of Habit, GAR at West Bromfield centennial
- 79. The Fruit Tree and the Chaff
- 81-82: Talks, 1893-1910
- 81. 1893-1906: World's Fair, 1893; "What is a College Education for women worth,?" 1905;
Trip to Chicago, 1905; Sordello, 1906.
- 82. 1907-1910: The Home Today, 1907; Whittier, 1907; Woman's Right, 1909-1910.
- 83-94: Talks, n.d.
- 83. Man's Place in Nature
- 84. Mary Lyon and the Education of Women
- 85. Temperance, Spirits or the Spirit?
- 87. Mrs. Browning/The Idylls of the King
- 88. Literature for Children
- 89. Gleason Sanatorium 50th Anniversary; Poem
- 92. The Home and the School
- 93. Lecture before Mother's Club; Culture
- 94. Our Unrealized Powers
- 95-96: Other writings by AFE
- 95. Account of the death of Morgan (AFE's son), ts.
- 96. John Francis Lonely/prayer/1907 (includes poem by Max Eastman, n.d.)
- Series II, 97-202: Correspondence
- 97-162: AFE and other family members to CCE, 1889-1909, n.d.
- 97. SE and ME to CCE, 1889, 1891-1892, 1897, 1898
- 98-113: AFE to CCE, 1892-1899
- 114. Other family members to CCE, 1899
- 115-118: AFE to CCE, 1900:
- 119. Other family members to CCE
- 124. AFE to SE, ME and CCE; AFE's diary re: trip to Europe, 1901-1902
- 125-127: AFE to CCE, 1902:
- 128. SE to CCE, 1902-1903
- 146. ME to CCE, 1905-1906
- 161. Other family members to CCE, 1909
- 164-171: CCE's letters in typescript
- 172-192: CCE to AFE, SE, ME
- 180. October-December, 1906, with enclosure from Paul Kellogg
- 184. Postcards and address book, 1907-1908
- 185. January-February, 1908
- 192. 1913-1928, scattered dates
- 193-196: "Letters saved by Crystal," Includes poems and letters written to CCE.
- 193. Marie H. Tenney to CCE, 1895-1897
- 194. Ida Langdon et al, to CCE, 1901-1907 and n.d.
- 196. Vladimir Simkhovitch to CCE, 1907 and n.d.
- 197. Walter Fuller to Fuller family re: Walter and Crystal, 1911-1916
- 198. Walter Fuller to CCE, 1924 and n.d.
- 199. "Letters to Crystal mainly in connection with her looking for work," 1925-1927
- 200. "Papers involved in the settlement of Crystal's estate," 1928-1929
- 201. "Papers involved in the settlement of Crystal's estate," 1929-1931
- 202. "Some articles by Crystal", ms. and ts., 1923-1924, 1928. Includes ts. article by
CCE re: AFE
Eastman, Annis (Ford), 1852-1910
Eastman, Max Forrester, 1883-1969
Eastman, Samuel Elijah
Fuller, Walter, -1927
Kellogg, Paul Underwood, 1879-1958
Simkhovitch, Vladimir Gregorievitch, 1879-1958
Mother and daughter