Drinker, Sophie Hutchinson, 1888-1967. Additional papers of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker,
1911-1983: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: 84-M96
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, 1888-1967
Title: Additional papers of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, 1911-1983
Quantity: 1.21 linear feet (1 carton, 1/2 file box)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Addenda to the papers (1351) of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, musician, civic volunteer,
historian, author, and feminist.
Accession number: 84-M96
These addenda were given to the Schlesinger Library by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker's
daughter, Ernesta Drinker Ballard via Amy Elsbree, in June 1984.
Preliminary inventory: June 1984
By: Jane S. Knowles
Access. Collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in the papers created by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker is held by
the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright
in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. Additional papers, 1911-1983; item description, dates.
84-M96, folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge,
There is related material at the Schlesinger Library; see Sophie Hutchinson Drinker
Papers, 1917-1967 (1351
Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, musician, civic volunteer, historian and feminist was born
on August 24, 1888 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was educated at St. Timothy's
School in Catonville, Maryland. A prominent leader in Philadelphian society, she served
on the board of directors of the Marriage Council of Philadelphia, was president of
the Pennsylvania Society of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America, was
chairman of the Colonial Dames Historical Research Committee, and was on the advisory
board of the Lucy Stone League. Among her books and articles were Music and Women: The Story of Women in Their Relation to Music (1948) and Hannah Penn and the Proprietorship of Pennsylvania (1958). She was awarded an honorary degree (Doctor of Music) by Smith College for
her services to women and to music in 1949 and received the Distinguished Daughter
of Pennsylvania Award (1965) and an honorary degree (1967) from the Woman's Medical
College of Pennsylvania. For additional biographical information, see Who's Who Among American Women and Who's Who in the East .
These addenda consist of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker's diaries, correspondence, awards,
speeches and articles on women's history and women's rights and the draft of her unpublished
book, "Women under Colonial Laws."
- Carton 1: 1-39
- Box 2: 40-47
- 1. PHOTOGRAPHS: Cecilia Beaux's double portrait of Henry and Sophie Drinker, 1911; Sophie
Hutchinson Drinker's mother, Amy (Lewis) Hutchinson ; Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, n.d.;
The Montgomery Singers (Sophie Hutchinson Drinker's woman's chorus), 1941.
- 2. Diaries of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, 1913
- 3. Diaries of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, February, 4, 1923 - February 25, 1925
- 4. Diaries of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, March 3, 1925 - December 10, 1927
- 5. Diaries of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, December 13, 1927 - May 4, 1930
- 6. Diaries of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, May 11, 1930 - January 8, 1934
- 7. Diaries of Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, July 1 - September 17, 1933; June 13 - July
- 8. Notebook of verse and address book
- 9. Colonial Dames papers and re: lineage
- 10. President of Colonial Dames: medal
- 11. Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania: medal, citation, program, 1965
- 12. Clippings, letters from Governor William W. Scranton, Sophia (Yarnall) Jacobs, Catherine
(Drinker) Bowen, Emily (Hartshorne) Mudd re: award, 1965
- 13. Honorary degree and diploma from Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, 1967
- 14. Correspondence with Katharine R. Sturgis re: honorary degree, 1967
- 15. Publicity re: Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, n.d.; tributes, obituaries, 1967-1968; typed
letter, signed from Catherine Drinker Bowen to Ernesta Ballard, 1971.
- 16. Autobiographical frgaments by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker
- 17. Condolence letters to Ernesta Ballard re: death of father, Henry S. Drinker, 1965
- 18. Sophie Hutchinson Drinker's memberships: National Advisory Committee for ERA (Chair),
Notable American Women, Women's Archives Advisory Board (R.C.)
- 19. Accademia dei Diletanti di Musici, 1930-1960; Singing Party, 1967
- 20. Miscellaneous (mainly correspondence): small pox vaccination certificate, 1951; Leonard
Carmichael to Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, 1952; Sophie Hutchinson Drinker to Mary MacDuffie,
1955; Doda Conrad to Sophie Hutchinson Drinker (with sketch), 1959; Edith M. Stern
to Sophie Hutchinson Drinker, 1962
- 21. Articles by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker (typescript). "Childbirth and the elusive sense
of security" (includes correspondence), 1949-1950
- 22. Articles by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker (typescript). "Some books and articles with
positive approach to women" (bibliography), and notes.
- 23. Articles by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker (typescript). References to Sophie Hutchinson
Drinker's goddesses article
- 24. Articles by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker (typescript). "Oedipus and Orestes," 2 versions;
"Why is there no Orestes complex?" by Josefine Schreier.
- 25. Articles by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker (typescript). "How language terms reinforce
patriarchally inspired images of womanhood" and letter from Esme Wynne-Tyson, 1962
- 26. Speeches by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. "Women and Religion" conference of Unitarian
- 27. Speeches by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. "Spiritual approach to modern woman's orientation
to marriage," 1957
- 28. Speeches by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. Speech to Lucy Stone League re: Hannah Penn,
- 29. Speeches by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. "The Dilemma of the Woman Artist," Moore Institute,
- 30. Speeches by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. "Womanhood affirmed in Symbols," Moore Institute,
1962 3 versions
- 31. Speeches by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. "Notes on ERA" (against ERA), 1963, and clippings
- 32. Speeches by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. Address to Marriage Council trainees, 1963;
"Women and the Arts" for the Pan Hellenic Association, 1963
- 33. Speeches by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker. Tulfehocken, Feast of Roses, June 1966
- 34. Ida Bobula: "Valiant Women" (article) and CV
- 35. Women and Music by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker: reviews and letters to Ernesta Ballard, 1975-1977
- 36. Article about Drinker family, 1964
- 37. "Colonial Women and the Law" (unpublished book). Ernesta Ballard's correspondence
with the Colonial Dames, 1972, 1981
- 38. "Colonial Women and the Law" (unpublished book). Typescript draft of three (of five)
sections of book
- 39. "Colonial Women and the Law" (unpublished book). Typescript draft of book
- 40. "Colonial Women and the Law" (unpublished book). Partial manuscript of book
- 41. "Colonial Women and the Law" (unpublished book). "Book outline, no sources"
- 42. "Colonial Women and the Law" (unpublished book). "Dalton's Justice"
- 43. "Colonial Women and the Law" (unpublished book). Women under the common law of England;"
"A voyce... and a vote"
- 44. Reprints by Sophie Hutchinson Drinker: Women Attorneys in Colonial Times, 1961; Patriarchal
Values in Women's Education, 1954; Women and the Ideal Democracy, April 1960; The
Two Elizabeth Carterets, 1961; Rome and Canterbury, n.d.; Womanhood Affirmed in Symbols,
1963; Votes for Women in 18th century New Jersey, 1961; Pennsylvania's Honoured Mistress:
Hannah Penn and the Proprietorship of Pennsylvania ; Hannah Callowell Penn (for Notable
- 46. Program for service of commemoration of the death of George Washington, 1965
- 47. Subject listing of items in the Sophie Hutchinson Drinker collection compiled by Amy
Elsbree, January 1983 (folder numbers no longer apply)
Equal rights amendments
Philadelphia (Pa.)--Social life and customs--20th century
Women and religion
Women--Legal status, laws, etc.
Ballard, Ernesta Drinker
Beaux, Cecilia, 1855-1942
Bowen, Catherine Drinker, 1897-1973
Drinker, Henry S. (Henry Sandwith), 1880-1965
Marriage Council of Philadelphia
Mudd, Emily Hartshorne
National Society of the Colonial Dames of America
Scranton, William Warren, 1917-2013
Sturgis, Katharine R. (Katharine Rosenbaum), 1903-1987