Bucklee, Sally M.. Sally M. Bucklee Collection on Board of Presenters v. the Reverend
William A. Wendt, 1974-1976: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: 95-M24
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Sally M. Bucklee
Title: Sally M. Bucklee Collection on Board of Presenters v. the Reverend William A. Wendt,
Quantity: 20 microfiche
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Transcripts, court documents, speeches, etc., of Sally M. Bucklee, president of the
Episcopal Women's Caucus and church activist.
Accession number: 95-M24
These microfiches were given to the Schlesinger Library by Sally M. Bucklee in March 1995. The original material was collected by Sally M. Bucklee and microfilmed
at her request. The originals are in the possession of Bucklee.
Processed: November 1995
By: Anne Engelhart
Access. Collection is open for research. An appointment is necessary to use any audiovisual
Copyright. Copyright in the papers created by Sally M. Bucklee is held by the President
and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in other papers
in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Sally M. Bucklee Collection, 1974-1976; item description, dates. 95-M24, folder #.
Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University.
Sally Mitchell Bucklee was elected to the Standing Committee of the Episcopal Diocese
of Washington, D.C., in January 1972, the second woman to serve on the committee that
must approve every person seeking ordination. She was also a voting member of the
General Convention of the Episcopal Church in 1976, when it approved the ordination
In 1975, as a member of the Standing Committee, she served as a judge on the Appellate
Court of the Diocese of Washington, D.C., when it heard a case entitled Board of Presenters v. the Reverend William A. Wendt. This case concerned a priest who had permitted Alison Cheek, who had been ordained
in 1974, to celebrate the Eucharist in his church. In a 4-3 decision (with an all-male
majority and all-female dissent), the Appellate Court upheld Rev. Wendt's conviction
on the charge of disobeying a godly admonition of his bishop.
This collection consists of transcripts, opinions, and other court documents concerning
Board of Presenters v. the Reverend William A. Wendt. Some documents are annotated, presumably by Sally M. Bucklee. Also included are
speeches, clippings, and other papers about the trial.
Copies of these microfiches are at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific (Berkeley,
California), Episcopal Divinity School (Cambridge, Massachusetts), General Theological
Seminary (New York, New York), Virginia Theological Seminary (Alexandria, Virginia),
and the Center for Women at Douglass College, Rutgers University (New Brunswick, New
The inventory represents a table of contents that appears on the first microfiche.
The numbers in parentheses refer to the number of the fiche on which the section begins.
- The original transcript of the Ecclesiastical Court of the Diocese of Washington,
April 30, 1975 (1)
- The Opinion of the Ecclesiastical Court of the Diocese of Washington, June 5, 1975
- The Opinion of the Ecclesiastical Court of the Diocese of Ohio, June 20, 1975 (9)
- The Opinion of the Court of Review of the Fifth Province of PECUSA [Protestant Episcopal
Church in the United States of America], April 3, 1976 (10)
- Letter from the President of the Fifth Province Court of Review, April 10, 1976 (10)
- The Statement to the Appellate Court of the Diocese of Washington by William Stringfellow,
Esq., and Edward C. Bou, Esq., attorneys for the Reverend William A. Wendt (10)
- The Statement to the Appellate Court of the Diocese of Washington by E. William Stirling,
Esq., attorney for the Presenters (11)
- Documents to the Appellate Court/Standing Committee, Summer 1975 (11)
- The original transcript of the Court of Appeals, October 1, 1975 (11)
- Opinion of the Appellate Court, December 9, 1975 (14)
- Motion for Show of Cause, Summary Reversal, and other Relief, January 1976 (15)
- 1974 Documents, clippings: July 29 ordinations, House of Bishops, etc. (15)
- 1975 Spring-summer: speech of Presiding Bishop; Executive Council position (16)
- 1975 Fall clippings: Appellate Court trial. First draft opinions (19)
Ecclesiastical courts--United States
Ordination of women--Episcopal Church
Ordination of women--United States
Women and religion--United States
Wendt, William A.