Blanding, Sarah Gibson, 1898-1985. Papers of Sarah Gibson Blanding, 1936-1978: A Finding
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: 75-367--79-M227
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Sarah Gibson Blanding, 1898-1985
Title: Papers of Sarah Gibson Blanding, 1936-1978
Quantity: 2.05 linear feet (1 carton, 2 + 1/2 file boxes)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Correspondence, oral history transcript, speeches, etc., of Sarah Gibson Blanding,
Accession numbers: 75-367, 76-341, 78-M204, 79-M227
Preliminary Inventory: October 1979
By: Jane S. Knowles
Access. Collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in the papers created by Sarah Gibson Blanding is held by the
President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in
other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Sarah Gibson Blanding Papers, 1936-1978; item description, dates. 75-367--79-M227,
folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge,
Born in Lexington, Kentucky, Sarah Gibson Blanding earned an A.B. from the University
of Kentucky, 1923, and an M.A. from Columbia, 1926, and studied at the London School
of Economics, 1928-1929. She was instructor of physical education, professor of political
science, and dean of women at the University of Kentucky (1919-1941); director of
the New York State College of Home Economics, Cornell University (1941-1942); and
dean (1942-1946) and president (1946-1964) of Vassar College.
Correspondence, oral history interview transcript, speeches, family photos, scrapbook,
book reviews for The New Yorker, articles, and clippings concern Blanding's career as an educator and her retirement.
Correspondents include E. B. and Katharine White, Florence Clothier Wislocki, and
Rebecca Lawrence Lowrie. Folder labels are largely those of Blanding.
- Carton 1: 1-31v
- Box 2
- Box 3
- Box 4: 32-35
- 2. Cornell, Dean of School of Home Economics
- 3. Vassar material. Sarah Gibson Blanding's speeches and clippings, 1946-1962
- 4. Vassar material. Sarah Gibson Blanding's speeches, 1947, 1959-1969
- 5. Vassar material. Fellers case, 1952
- 6. Vassar material. Sex speech, 1962
- 7. Vassar material. Sex speech, background, college newspaper clippings, 1962
- 8. Vassar material. Correspondence, articles by Sarah Gibson Blanding, biographical information,
- 9. Vassar material. President's reports, 1957-1964
- 10. Vassar material. Newsclippings, alumnae magazines, tribute.
- 11. Vassar material. Sarah Gibson Blanding's retirement from Vassar.
- 12. Vassar material. Retirement parties, includes tape of tributes
- 13. Vassar material. Retirement parties ("some nonsense and some serious salutes to Sarah
- 14. Cornell Oral History, interview with Sarah Gibson Blanding, 1964.
- 15. Kentucky material. Newsclippings, award, 1968, 1975
- 16. Kentucky material. Commission as Kentucky Colonel, 1975
- 17. Correspondence from Henrietta Blanding Lehman to Sarah Gibson Blanding
- 18. Correspondence to Rebecca [Rebecca Lawrence Lowrie?] from Katherine and E.B. White.
- 19. Correspondence, 1965-1971
- 20. Letters and cards from Sarah Gibson Blanding to her sister Ellen Blanding from abroad.
- 21. Correspondence, 1965-1970.
- 22. Correspondence, 1967-1975
- 23. Clippings. Sarah Gibson Blanding's 70th
- 24. Clippings. Miscellaneous, during the war and re Sarah Gibson Blanding's educational
- 25. Clippings. Re honorary degrees.
- 26. PHOTOGRAPHS, miscellaneous
- 27v. PHOTOGRAPH album of Vassar College
- 28. PHOTOGRAPHS by Life Magazine, 1973
- 29v.o. Scrapbook of PHOTOGRAPHS and clippings re inauguration of Sarah Gibson Blanding as
- 30v. C. Irvine Walker's Life of Lieutenant General Heron Anderson. Richmond, Virginia, 1917.
- 31v. Thomas P. Robert's Memoirs of John Bannister Gibson. Pittsburgh, 1890
- Box 2:. Correspondence from Rebecca Lawrence Lowrie to Sarah Gibson Blanding, 1949-1969.
- Box 3:. Correspondence from Rebecca Lawrence Lowrie to Sarah Gibson Blanding, 1970-1975. Material
relating to 1) Sarah Gibson Blanding's correspondence with Sherman Baldwin re lawyer
in Chicago for Rebecca Lawrence Lowrie. 2) estate of Rebecca Lawrence Lowrie.
- 32. Rebecca Lawrence Lowrie's article for the Fortnightly Club, March 10, 1957
- 33. Rebecca Lawrence Lowrie's New Yorker Reviews
- 34. Graduate Faculty Award, Columbia University, presented to Sarah Gibson Blanding, 1978
- 35. Correspondence, tribute, clippings, 1936-1978 (scattered).
Universities and colleges--New York (State)
Clothier, Florence, 1903-1987
Cornell University. School of Home Economics
Lowrie, Rebecca Lawrence
White, E. B. (Elwyn Brooks), 1899-1985
White, Katharine Sergeant Angell