OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:RAD.SCHL:sch00418View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: B-29
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Advertising Women of New York
Title: Records of the Advertising Women of New York, 1912-1970
Quantity: .42 linear feet (1 file box) plus electronic records)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Chronologies, speeches, articles, etc., of the Advertising Women of New York, Inc., the first club for women in advertising in the United States.
There is related material at the Schlesinger Library; see Advertising Women of New York Additional records, 1912-1983 (inclusive), 1962-1982 (bulk) 86-M216, Advertising Women of New York Additional records, 1935-1987 87-M31--87-M158, and Advertising Women of New York Additional records, 1917-1988 (inclusive), 1975-1985 (bulk) 90-M90.
The Advertising Women of New York, Inc., founded in 1912, by Mr. and Mrs. J. George Frederick as the League of Advertising Women of New York, was the first club for women in advertising in America and one of the first in the world. Organized as an answer to discriminating men's clubs, the League had as its objectives the further education in advertising of its members, and the encouragement towards the greater involvement of women in advertising. From the 1930's on, classes were given by the club and scholarships awarded to girls to enable them to pursue a degree in advertising. Annual dinners and dances had speakers on good advertising practices and the future of the business.The club has a long history of social consciousness. It helped on the economizing campaign of World War II, and has always been concerned with consumer work.
The Advertising Women of New York, Inc. Collection covers the period from 1912 to 1970. The Advertising Women of New York web site is being captured periodically as part of Harvard University Library's Web Archive Collection service (WAX); searchable archived versions of the web site will be available through this finding aid in 2010.