MC 515; Vt-137; T-329; Phon-32
Boston Association for Childbirth Education. Records of the Boston Association for
Childbirth Education, 1934-1993 (inclusive), 1953-1993 (bulk): A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MC 515; Vt-137; T-329; Phon-32
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Boston Association for Childbirth Education
Title: Records of the Boston Association for Childbirth Education, 1934-1993 (inclusive),
Quantity: 11.7 linear feet (20 file boxes, 1 folio box, 1 oversize box, 1 card file box) plus 1 folio+ folder,
3 oversize folders, 1 photograph folder, 68 slides, 2 videotapes, 2 phonograph records,
and electronic records)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Correspondence, minutes, questionnaires, photographs, etc., of the Boston Association
for Childbirth Association, one of the oldest natural childbirth organizations in
the United States.
Accession numbers: 2000-M57, 2003-M34, 2012-M168
These records of the Boston Association for Childbirth Education were given to the
Schlesinger Library by the Boston Association for Childbirth Education in April 2000 and September 2012, and by Sylvia D. Sawin in March 2003.
Processed: February 2006
By: Deborah A. Richards
Updated and additional material added: May 2017
By: Jenny Gotwals
Access. All researchers must sign a special permission form. Folders #3.6, 3.8, 4.9
are closed until January 1, 2050. Class questionnaires, birth reports, registration
forms, and student correspondence have been redacted and the originals are closed
until January 1, 2050. Individual items (#3.6, 3.8, 4.9), particularly those containing
personal information, are closed as noted to protect personal privacy.
Copyright. Copyright in the records of the Boston Association for Childbirth Education
is held by the President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Schlesinger Library.
Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors'
heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Boston Association for Childbirth Education Records, 1934-1993; item description,
dates. MC 515, folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University.
In 1953, a group of Boston-area mothers interested in reforming obstetrical and maternity
care and in disseminating information about natural childbirth began to meet. In seeking
to encourage family-centered maternity care and breastfeeding, Boston Association
for Childbirth Education's first initiative was to provide classes for expectant parents
which covered anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, labor, and delivery, instruction
on breastfeeding, and daily exercises to aid mothers during pregnancy and labor. The
classes were small, informal, and usually held in private homes; the first class was
held in 1953. BACE also held general meetings with speakers, including doctors and
nurses, discussing pregnancy and breast feeding, and child psychologists discussing
child development; in addition, movies were shown. BACE also offered a library of
books, movies, and pamphlets on childbirth and related issues. As interest in natural
childbirth grew, BACE's membership expanded and its organizational structure came
to include committees on class study, education, program, and training. The group
incorporated as Boston Association for Childbirth Education in 1958. In 1962, the
Nursing Mothers' Council was formed. Its purpose was to provide lay counselors who
offered advice and counseling on breastfeeding to mothers.
One of the founders of BACE and its first instructor was Justine Kelliher, nurse and
natural childbirth educator. Justine Oren (Woollett) Kelliher was born in Boston,
Massachusetts, on October 22, 1920, to Ralph Sidney Woollett and Margaret Elizabeth
(Smith) Woollett. She graduated from the Academy of the Sacred Heart in Albany, New
York in 1938, attended summer courses on typing and shorthand at the Bryant and Stratton
Business School (1938), received her B.A. from Manhattanville College of the Sacred
Heart (1942), an M.A. in biology from Brown University (1943), and an M.N. from Yale
School of Nursing (1946), and participated in the Cadet Nurse Program at Yale. She
married Giles Clement Kelliher in 1948; they had six children. She was a staff nurse
at the Boston Lying-in Hospital (1946-1947) and the Boston Visiting Nurse Association
(1947-1948); parent educator at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Boston (1967); staff nurse
at Beth Israel Hospital, Boston (1968); Newton-Wellesley Hospital, Newton, Massachusetts
(1970-1971); Chetwynde Nursing Home, Newton (1980-1982). Kelliher began coaching mothers
in natural childbirth in 1949; she retired as a nurse in 1982.
The collection is arranged into six series:
- Series I. Leadership, 1934-1993 (#1.1-2.13, OD.1, E.1)
- Series II. Committees, 1948-1993 (#2.14-6.8, 21FB.1-22OB.3, F+D.1, OD.2-OD.3, 1sl-2sl,
Vt-137.1 - Vt-137.2, Phon-32.1 - Phon-32.2)
- Series III. Nursing Mothers' Council, 1964-1981, n.d. (#6.9-6.16)
- Series IV. Students, 1949-1979 (#6.17-15.6, 23CB, PD.1)
- Series V. International Childbirth Education Association, 1955-1991 (#15.7-17.5, 17.20m)
- Series VI. Other Organizations and Publications, 1939-1993 (#17.6-20.13)
Because BACE is an on-going, active organization, these records currently held by
the Schlesinger Library represent only a portion of all records created to date. The
bulk of the collection was compiled by Justine Kelliher, a founder and BACE's first
instructor; Abigail Avery, BACE's second instructor; and Sylvia D. Sawin, treasurer
and training coordinator for instructors. The records include bylaws, correspondence,
minutes, teaching aids, newsletters and other printed material, conference reports,
slides, phonograph records, videotapes, posters, and questionnaires filled out by
BACE class members regarding their birth experience. Folder headings were supplied
by the processor.
A set of archival masters for BACE Line, BACE Newsletter, and ICEA publications including Actionletter, Bookmarks, ICEA News, and ICEA Sharing is closed to research. Consult Schlesinger Library periodicals for reference copies.
Throughout the collection, individual items, particularly those containing personal
information, are closed as noted to protect personal privacy.
Additional material received in 2012 (accession number 2012-M168) was added to the
collection in May 2017. These materials are housed in #1.21, 2.20, and 4.9.
Series I, LEADERSHIP, 1934-1993 (#1.1-2.13, OD.1, E.1), contains board material such
as annual reports, minutes, correspondence, and membership lists. The board notebook
of Sylvia D. Sawin, correspondence and clippings from Abigail Avery, and biographical
material and correspondence with Justine Kelliher are also included. BACE's web site
is being captured periodically as part of Harvard University Library's Web Archive
Collection service (WAX); searchable archived versions of the web site will be available
through this finding aid in 2010.
Series II, COMMITTEES, 1948-1993 (#2.14-6.8, 21FB.1-22OB.3, F+D.1, OD.2, OD.3,1sl-2sl,
Vt-137.1 - Vt-137.2, Phon-32.1 - Phon-32.2), contains material from five of BACE's
committees: Class Study, Education, Policy and Steering, Program, and Training. The
series includes reports, correspondence, agendas and minutes, event fliers, course
announcements, class packets including syllabi, instructor applications, notes regarding
class instruction, handbooks related to prepared childbirth, bibliographies, and filmographies,
posters, videotapes, and record albums. There are also teaching aids such as the Forecaster
(#6.5) a kind of slide ruler used for tracking a woman's cycle, Your Pregnancy Calculator
(#6.6), and the Visible Woman (#21FB.1-21FB.3). In 2017, oversize teaching aids (formerly
numbered as #21OB.1-21OB.4) were rehoused and renumbered.
Series III, NURSING MOTHERS' COUNCIL, 1964-1981, n.d. (#6.9-6.16), contains agendas
and minutes, notes, correspondence, membership requirements, and materials for the
postpartum project including proposals, agendas, memos, session reports, and notes.
Series IV, STUDENTS, 1949-1979 (#6.17-15.6, 23 CB, PD.1), contains correspondence,
registration forms, class questionnaires, and birth reports. Correspondence from students
covers their experiences with the classes, pregnancy, and labor. The class questionnaires
and birth reports provide detailed information on the students' experiences giving
Photocopies of class questionnaires, birth reports, registration forms, and student
correspondence have been redacted; the originals are closed until January 1, 2050.
They are filed numerically by the number BACE gave each student. Fragile questionnaires
were photocopied and the copies were used for redacting.
Series V, INTERNATIONAL CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION ASSOCIATION (ICEA), 1955-1991 (#15.7-17.5,
17.20m), contains correspondence, childbirth preparation kits, instructors' kits,
brochures, booklets, membership directories, conference materials, and handbooks.
ICEA was the international professional organization for childbirth educators with
which BACE was actively involved.
Series VI, OTHER ORGANIZATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS, 1939-1993 (#17.6-20.13), contains
material from other childbirth and health care organizations, such as publishers,
hospitals, and insurance companies. The section includes correspondence, booklets,
newsletters, conference reports, teaching aids, and syllabi.
The following items have been removed from the collection and transferred to the Schlesinger
Library Book Department, January 2006:
- Briefs, vol. 29, no.7-vol. 47, no. 5.
- Birth and Family Journal, vol. 1, no. 1-vol. 7, no. 4.
- La Leche League News, vol. 12, no. 1-vol. 19, no. 3.
- Series I. LEADERSHIP, 1934-1993 (#1.1-2.13, OD.1, E.1)
- 1.1. History, 1956-1965, n.d.
- 1.2. Annual reports, 1953-1979
- 1.4-1.6. Minutes, 1965-1975, n.d.
- 1.7. Members' notes, 1967-1968, n.d.
- 1.8-1.9. Correspondence: board, 1960-1980, n.d.
- 1.10. Correspondence: Grantly Dick-Read, 1934-1959, n.d.
- 1.11. Correspondence: doctors and nurses, 1953-1978, n.d.
- 1.12. Board members who spoke at classes: list, 1967, n.d.
- 1.13-1.14. Membership directory: lists, 1959-1979, n.d.
- 1.15. Consultants: list, questionnaire, n.d.
- 1.16. Volunteer questionnaires, n.d.
- OD.1. Member survey, n.d.
- 1.21. Board members, consultant, and committee lists, 1968-1972
- 1.17. Avery, Abigail: biography, obituary, 1983, 1993
- 1.18. Avery, Abigail: correspondence, 1964-1973, n.d.
- 1.19. Avery, Abigail: "What Nursing Means to Me," 1962
- 1.20. Avery, Abigail: clippings, talk, class handouts, brochures, 1966-1978, n.d.
- 2.1. Kelliher, Justine: biography, report cards, 1964, 1970, n.d.
- 2.2. Kelliher, Justine: letters from Betty Laning, 1955-1964
- 2.3-2.5. Kelliher, Justine: correspondence: doctors and nurses, 1953-1979, n.d.
- 2.6. Kelliher, Justine: correspondence: teaching and training, 1964-1969
- 2.7. Kelliher, Justine: professional childbirth educator certificate, 1954
- 2.8. Kelliher, Justine: "An Exploratory Study to Determine Some of the Expressed Feelings
of a Group of Clinic Patients in Regard to the Desirability for Them of a Family-Centered
Maternity Care Program": prospectus, 1970
- 2.9. Kelliher, Justine: "An Exploratory Study to Determine Some of the Expressed Feelings
of a Group of Clinic Patients in Regard to the Desirability for Them of a Family-Centered
Maternity Care Program": thesis, 1970
- 2.10. Kelliher, Justine: "Psychology of the Young Adult": interview, 1970
- 2.11-2.12. Sawin, Sylvia D.: board notebook, agendas, minutes, notes, proposals, correspondence,
- 2.13. Oldtimers BACE reunion: correspondence, writings, transcripts of event, 1962-1985,
- 2.20. Transcript of tapes remembering early BACE activists, made at June 1984 BACE reunion,
- Series II. COMMITTEES, 1948-1993 (#2.14-6.8, 21OB.1-21OB.4, F+D.1, OD.2, OD.3, 1sl-2sl,
Vt-137.1 - Vt-137.2, Phon-32.1 - Phon-32.2)
- 2.14. Class Study committee: reports, letters, statement of purpose, 1967, n.d.
- 2.15. Class Study committee: class studies, 1965-1967
- 2.16. Class Study committee: doctors and hospital statistics, 1964-1966, n.d.
- 2.17. Education committee: agendas and minutes, 1965-1966
- 2.18. Policy and Steering committee: notes, proposals, 1973
- 2.19. Program committee. Program reports and notes, 1959-1967, n.d.
- 3.1-3.5. Program committee. Correspondence, 1959-1968, n.d.
- 3.7. Program committee. Meeting places: lists, correspondence, notes, 1958-1965, n.d.
- 3.9. Program committee. Calendar of events, 1966-1978, n.d.
- 3.10. Program committee. Events fliers, 1959-1981, n.d.
- 3.11. Program committee. Films: lists, notes, letters, 1958-1962, n.d.
- 3.12. Program committee. Clippings, 1961-1965, n.d.
- 3.13. Program committee. Family-centered maternity care: proposals, course announcement,
1968, 1973, n.d.
- 3.14. Program committee. "An Institute for the Teaching of Comprehensive Prepared Childbirth,"
- 3.15. Program committee. "Rooming-In:" draft articles, n.d.
- 3.16. Program committee. Non-BACE research projects re: pregnancy and newborns, 1979, n.d.
- 3.17. Training committee. Agendas, minutes, annual reports, notes, 1965-1978, n.d.
- 3.18. Training committee. Correspondence, 1961-1977, n.d.
- 3.19-3.20. Training committee. Class outlines, syllabi, proposals, 1967-1974, n.d.
- 4.1-4.3. Training committee. Class package: exercises, instructions, booklets, 1969-1971, n.d.
- 4.4-4.6. Training committee. Class handouts, 1968, n.d.
- 4.7. Training committee. Class readings, 1959, 1966, 1972, n.d.
- 4.8. Training committee. Sample of printed materials given to classes, 1955-1965, n.d.
- 4.10. Training committee. Labor summaries, 1973, n.d.
- 4.11. Training committee. Instructor and class assistant requirements, n.d.
- 4.12. Training committee. Instructor applications, 1966-1971, n.d.
- 4.13. Training committee. Instructor applications, 1972-1974, n.d.
- 4.14. Training committee. Training exam, 1972
- 4.15-4.16. Training committee. Training exams, 1973
- 5.1-5.2. Training committee. Training exams, n.d.
- 5.3. Training committee. Training exam (non-BACE), 1972
- F+D.1. Training committee. Training materials?: x-rays of pregnant woman, 1954
- 5.4. Training committee. Instructors' agreements, 1974, n.d.
- 5.5. Training committee. Instructors' policy, 1977, n.d.
- 5.6. Training committee. Notes, n.d.
- 5.7. Training committee. Workshop for Boston Hospital for Women Lying-in personnel: student
resumes, 1971, 1974, n.d.
- 5.8. Training committee. Workshop materials and fliers, 1971-1979
- 5.9. Training committee. "Parents' Handbook" (2nd draft), 1975
- 5.10. Training committee. "Handbook in Prepared Childbirth" (draft), 1975
- 5.11. Training committee. "Handbook in Prepared Childbirth," 1975?
- 5.12. Training committee. "Handbook in Prepared Childbirth," 1976
- 5.13. Training committee. "Handbook in Prepared Childbirth," 1977
- 5.14. Training committee. Brochures, 1971, n.d.
- 5.15-5.17. Training committee. Childbirth brochure draft with board members' comments, 1967,
- 6.1-6.2. Training committee. BACE library: books and reprints catalog, bibliographies, filmographies,
book reviews, 1958-1977, n.d.
- 6.3. Training committee. Articles, 1956-1980, n.d.
- 6.4. Training committee. Cartoons re: childbirth, n.d.
- 6.5. Training committee. The Forecaster: cycle slide, 1948
- 6.6. Training committee. Your Pregnancy Calculator, 1988
- 6.7. Training committee. Baby carriers and slings: letter, information sheets, 1952, 1962,
- 21FB.1. Training committee. The Visible Woman model. Plastic replica of adult woman, with
see-through exterior and removable bones and internal organs. Assembled with extended
abdomen and intestinal organs to show a pregnant female body. 1960
- 21FB.2. Training committee. The Visible Woman extra parts. Paper box labeled "optional feature,"
containing pregnancy abdomen to show "The Miracle of Creation." Box currently contains
the standard abdomen and intestinal tract organs (pre-pregnancy) originally included
on model. 1960
- 21FB.3. Training committee. The Visible Woman base. Round beige plastic stand with two slits
to secure Visible Woman's feet. Raised lettering along top, "The Visible Woman by
- 6.8. Training committee. "The Visible Woman: an illustrated guide," 1960.
- 22OB.1. Training committee. Woolwich breast shield. Beige, crimson, and black cardboard box
with white text, "The Woolwich Breast Shield." Contains two clear plastic round breast
shields and one black rubber nipple. Made in England by Allen & Hanbury's Ltd., n.d.
- 22OB.2. Training committee. Cell to embryo diagram. Light blue plastic poster with 3D raised
models showing 9 different stages of embyronic development. "Cell to embryo" across
bottom in black text. Created by Hubbard Scientific Company. n.d.
- 22OB.3. Training committee. Cervical dilatation model. Rectangular white and green plastic
diagram showing 8 sizes of the cervix diameter as it dilates during labor. "Cervical
dilatation" in white text along green border. Created by Ross Laboratories. 1982
- OD.2. Training committee. Posters, 1976, 1988, n.d.
- OD.3. Training committee. Posters, visual aids for childbirth class?, 1958, n.d.
- 1sl.-2sl. Training committee. Labor, babies, and nursing, 1972, 1974, n.d. (68 slides)
- Vt-137.1. Training committee. Videotape. "Choosing a Birth Control Method: A Video for Patients,"
Association of Reproductive Health Professionals, 1993. 15 minutes.
- Vt-137.2. Training committee. Videotape. "DMPA: A New Contraceptive Option: A Video for Clinicians,"
Association of Reproductive Health Professionals, 1993. 18 minutes.
- Phon-32.1. Training committee. "Baby Cries" by Samuel Karelitz, M.D., n.d. 45 rpm.
- Phon-32.2. Training committee. "Natural Childbirth: a Documentary Record of the Birth of a Baby.
Supervised by Dr. Grantly Dick-Read." Westminster Recording Sales Corp., 1957. 33 rpm.
- Series III. NURSING MOTHERS' COUNCIL, 1964-1981, n.d. (#6.9-6.16)
- 6.9. Agendas, minutes, notes, 1964-1973, n.d.
- 6.10. Correspondence, 1965, 1969
- 6.11. Contact lists, 1973, n.d.
- 6.12. Membership requirements, 1974, n.d.
- 6.13. Postpartum project: agendas, memos, evaluations, session reports, and notes, 1973-1974,
- 6.14. Postpartum project: proposals, n.d.
- 6.15. Breastfeeding booklets, 1978, 1981
- 6.16. Electric breast pump project: flier, n.d.
- Series IV. STUDENTS, 1949-1979 (#6.17-15.6, 23CB, PD.1)
- 7.1-7.10. Redacted copies of registration cards and comments regarding doctors and hospitals,
- 7.12. Permission forms, n.d.
- 7.13. Pre-natal forms for wife and husband, n.d.
- 15.5. Doctor's questionnaire: draft, 1968
- 15.6. Hospital questionnaires, 1960, n.d.
- PD.1. Removed from #6.19 and 8.1. (16 photographs)
- Series V. INTERNATIONAL CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION ASSOCIATION (ICEA), 1955-1991 (#15.7-17.5,
- 15.7. Correspondence: Mildred Hatch, 1957-1967, n.d.
- 15.8-15.11. Correspondence: ICEA groups and consultants, 1955-1976.
See also #17.20m.
- 15.12. Membership directories, 1965-1991
- 15.13. Membership bulletin, 1964
- 15.14. Class kit, 1955-1962, n.d.
- 15.15. Childbirth preparation kit, 1967
- 15.16. How to organize kit, 1961
- 15.17. Instructors' kit, 1962
- 16.1. Brochures, pamphlets, n.d.
- 16.2. Booklets, 1978-1980, n.d.
- 16.3. Supplies center book lists, 1965-1971
- 16.4. Film and record directory, 1972
- 16.5. Conferences: programs, paper, 1963-1981
- 16.6. Convention report 3rd biennial, 1964
- 16.7. Convention abstract 3rd biennial, 1964
- 16.8. Regional conference reports, 1965
- 16.9. Regional ICEA handbooks, brochures, 1970-1980, n.d.
- 16.10. "Husbands in the Delivery Room," 1965
- 16.11. "Husbands in the Delivery Room," 1968
- 17.1-17.2. "Implementing Family-Centered Maternity Care with a Central Nursery,"1968
- 17.3-17.5. "Implementing Family-Centered Maternity Care with a Central Nursery," 1971
- 17.20m. Dy-Dee Service Inc. baby pin puzzle. White paper card with blue lettering, "Dy-Dee
Service Baby pin puzzle," two blue strings attached to back of card with metal baby
diaper pins attached. 1972.
See #15.11 for related correspondence.
- Series VI. OTHER ORGANIZATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS, 1939-1993 (#17.6-20.13)
- 17.6. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists: newsletter, conference program,
- 17.7. American Society for Psychoprophylaxis in Obstetrics: newsletter, conference programs,
notes, 1965-1980, n.d.
- 17.8. Association for Childbirth at Home: brochures, conference material, newsletters, catalogs,
- 17.9. Booklets. Auerbach, Aline B. and Helene S. Arnstein, Pregnancy and You, 1965
- 17.10. Booklets. Behn, Gertrude, Exercises After Childbirth, 1951
- 17.11. Booklets. Bing, Elizabeth D., Marjorie Karmel, and Alfred Tanz, A Practical Training Course for the Psychoprophylactic Method of Childbirth (Lamaze
- 17.12. Booklets. Edwards, Margot, Communications: Dimensions in Childbirth Education, 1973
- 17.13. Booklets. Fitzhugh, Mabel Lum, Preparation for Childbirth, n.d.
- 17.14. Booklets. Garran, Gertrude, Obstetrical Nursing Procedures, 1945
- 17.15. Booklets. Gayzagian, Doris Kingsbury, Formulas for Fun!, 1951
- 17.16. Booklets. Gray, Marian Johnson and Roger W. Gray, How to Take the Worry Out of Being Close, 1971
- 17.17. Booklets. Kitzinger, Sheila, An Approach to Antenated Teaching, 1968
- 17.18. Booklets. Moore, Ann Leslie, When a Child Goes to the Hospital, 1971
- 17.19. Booklets. Phillipp, Elliot and Ruth Forbes, Easier Childbirth, n.d. (3 copies)
- 18.1. Booklets. Rozdilsky, Mary Lou and Barbara Banet, What Now?! A Handbook for Parents (Especially Women) Postpartum, 1972
- 18.2. Booklets. Sever, Josephine Abbott, Johnny Visits the Doctor, 1955 (2 copies)
- 18.3. Booklets. Smith, Beverly Bush, The Wonder of Watching My Baby Grow, 1964
- 18.4. Booklets. Stewart, Bernice C., Best-Fed Babies, 1960
- 18.5. Booklets. Wales, Ruth and Helen Wiley, Tell-Tales, 1953
- 18.6. Cascade Birthing Supplies Center: catalog, 1979-1980, n.d.
- 18.7. Cesareans/Support Education and Concern: brochure, press releases, 1976, 1980, n.d.
- 18.8. Childbirth Without Pain Education Association: newsletters, 1965-1976, n.d.
- 18.9. Homebirth, Inc.: monthly updates, newsletters, 1975-1978, n.d.
- 18.10. Improving the Beautiful Machine: newsletter, 1970-1971
- 18.11. La Leche League: brochures, pamphlets, newsletters, 1964-1969, n.d.
- 18.12. La Leche League: "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding," booklet, 1958
- 18.13. Lamaze: newsletters, syllabi, 1972-1973, n.d.
- 18.14-18.16. Maternity Center Association: brochures, booklets, teaching aids, correspondence,
- 19.1. National Association of Parents and Professionals for Safe Alternatives in Childbirth:
publications catalog, conference programs, brochures, 1976-1979, n.d.
- 19.2. Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts: brochures, bulletins, 1970-1975
- 19.3. Society for the Protection of the Unborn thru Nutrition: newsletters, 1976-1977, n.d.
- 19.4-19.11. Corporations: pregnancy, childbirth, and family booklets, 1958-1982, n.d.
- 20.1. Hospitals: pregnancy, childbirth and family booklets, 1967-1980, n.d.
- 20.2. Insurance companies: pregnancy, childbirth and family booklets, 1967, n.d.
- 20.3. Magazines and publishers. "American Baby an educational program for prenatal and baby care classes," 1979-1981
- 20.4. Magazines and publishers. Child-Family Digest, Aiken, Charlotte: correspondence, 1956-1963
- 20.5-20.6. Magazines and publishers. Growing Child: newsletters, 1978-1980, n.d.
- 20.7. Magazines and publishers. Growing Parent: newsletters, 1978-1980, n.d.
- 20.8. Magazines and publishers. Natural Childbirth Before Your Eyes! The Complete Story Told in Photographs, 1958
- 20.9. Magazines and publishers. Correspondence, 1951-1967
- 20.10-20.13. Other organizations: brochures, booklets, catalogs, fliers, 1939, 1958-1993, n.d.
Maternal and infant welfare--Massachusetts
Maternal health services--Massachusetts
Teaching--Aids and devices
Avery, Abigail D., 1912-1993
Bean, Constance A.
Dick-Read, Grantly, 1890-1959
International Childbirth Education Association, Inc.
Kelliher, Justine Oren Woollett, 1920-2014
Maternity Center Association (New York, N.Y.)
Sawin, Sylvia D.