Berry, Betty Blaisdell. Papers of NOW officer Betty Blaisdell Berry, 1940-2006 (inclusive),
1967-1977 (bulk): A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Processing of this collection was made possible by a gift from the Radcliffe College
Class of 1968.
Location: Collection stored off site: researchers must request access 36 hours before use.
Call No.: MC 506
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Berry, Betty Blaisdell
Title: Papers of NOW officer Betty Blaisdell Berry, 1940-2006 (inclusive), 1967-1977 (bulk)
Quantity: 6.46 linear feet (15 + 1/2 file boxes) plus 1 folio folder, 1 folio+ folder, 1 oversize folder, 4
photograph folders, and 1 object)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Papers of Betty Blaisdell Berry, coordinator of the National Organization for Women's
Marriage, Divorce, and Family Relations Task Force and founder of The Marriage and
Divorce Press, Inc.
Accession numbers: 88-M206, 2010-M29
These papers were given to the library by Betty Blaisdell Berry in 1988. Additional
material was given to the library by Florida Atlantic University in 2010.
Processed: October 2004
By: Paula K. Aloisio
Updated: March 2014
By: Anne Engelhart
Access. Unrestricted with the exception of folder #1.11, which is closed until January
1, 2025, folders #3.3 and #6.6, which are closed until January 1, 2028, and folders
#16.1-16.4, which are closed until names are redacted or until January 1, 2033.
As of November 2015, written permission of the National Organization for Women (NOW)
is no longer required for access to folders #1.1-1.4, 1.6-8.2, or 9.4-13.10.
As of June 2017, written permission of NOW-NYC is no longer requires for access to
folders #1.6-8.2, or #9.4-13.10.
Copyright. Copyright in papers created by Betty Berry while an officer of NOW is held
by NOW. Berry retains copyright in the Marriage, Divorce, and the Family Newsletter. Copyright for other work by Berry is held by the President and Fellows of Harvard
College for the Schlesinger Library. Copyright in other papers in the collection may
be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Betty Blaisdell Berry. Papers of NOW officer Betty Blaisdell Berry, 1940-2006; item
description, dates. MC 506, folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard
University, Cambridge, Mass.
Donor: Betty Blaisdell Berry
Accession numbers: 88-M206, 2010-M29
Processed by: Paula K. Aloisio and Anne Engelhart
The following items have been removed from the collection:
- 2 linear feet of NOW Acts, New York NOW newsletters, the NOW York Times, feministperiodicals,
published reports, and other printed material, mostly relatedto the topics of marriage
and divorce. Transferred to the Tamiment Library, New York University, December 2004.
- The New Feminism by Lucy Komisar, 1971
Eleanor Betty (Blaisdell) Berry was born in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1922. She
received her B.A. in economics and government from Smith College in 1944. In 1947,
she married Robert G. Berry; they later divorced. She worked as an administrative
assistant for the American Museum of Immigration (1955-1957) and as the business manager
and director of Goertz Industrial Design (1958-1960). Berry received her M.A. in Education
from New York University in 1968, and served as the executive director of the Industrial
Designers Society of America (1971-1973).
Berry became involved in the National Organization for Women in 1967, and was national
coordinator of the Marriage, Divorce, and Family Relations Task Force from 1968 to
1973. As coordinator, she founded and edited the task force newsletter and developed
and conducted numerous workshops on marriage and divorce. She later served as an advisor
to the task force. Berry was also active in the New York chapter of NOW as recording
secretary (1967-1968) and chair of the chapter's Marriage and the Family Committee
(1967-1971). In 1974 she received a grant from the NOW Legal Defense and Education
Fund to compile and edit "A Woman's Guide to Florida Laws."
In 1974, Berry founded The Marriage and Divorce Press, Inc., to publish educational
material about marriage, family life, and divorce. She also served as a consultant
on marriage and divorce education for the United Presbyterian Church, and as a member
of the Homemaker Committee of the National Commission on the Observance of International
Women's Year of the United States State Department (1975-1976). She became a member
of the steering committee of the Divorce Task Force of the National Council of Family
Relations in 1974 and a member of the Task Force on Economic Power for the Women's
Action Alliance in 1976.
After selling The Marriage and Divorce Press in 1977, Berry worked as public relations
director for the American Arbitration Association (1977-1987). Berry died in Pompano
Beach, Florida, in 2007.
The collection is arranged in six series:
- Series I. Personal
- Series II. National Organization for Women
- Series III. Marriage and Divorce Press, Inc.
- Series IV. National Commission on the Observance of International Women's Year
- Series V. General Subject Files
- Series VI. Photographs
The collection contains correspondence, notes, printed material, and photographs,
as well as speeches, testimonies and writings by Berry. Folder headings were created
by Berry; the archivist's notes are in square brackets. Berry's basic arrangement
has been retained. Material received in 2010 was added to the collection in March
2014. This material is housed in #14.1-16.4, F+D.1, and PD.4. All other files remain
in the same order. Folders are listed in intellectual, not numerical, order.
Photographs have been transferred to a separate series. Most of the photographs in
this collection are or will be cataloged in VIA, Harvard University's Visual Information
Access database. Others, referred to as "uncataloged" photographs, are not of sufficient
research interest to warrant cataloging and are simply treated as parts of the documents
they accompany; they are marked on the back by an asterisk in square brackets [*].
References to the "New York chapter of NOW," or "New York NOW," are to the New York
City chapter of NOW; the state chapter is New York State NOW.
Series I, Personal (#1.1-1.5, 14.1-15.3, F+D.1, Mem.1), includes resumes, correspondence,
writings and speeches by Berry, letters of appointment and resignation from the National
Organization for Women, clippings about Berry and her work, correspondence, etc.,
concerning Veteran Feminists of America, and a bride's book detailing her wedding.
The series is arranged chronologically except for the addenda.
Series II, National Organization for Women (#1.6-8.2, 15.4, 16.1-16.4), is divided
into eight subseries, with significant overlap between the subseries; for example,
information relating to the activities of the New York chapter of NOW is present in
most of the other subseries. In addition, some material related to Berry's work for
NOW can be found in Series I, Personal, and Series V, Subject Files.
Subseries A, General (#1.6-1.20), contains correspondence with NOW officers, NOW publications
with drafts of articles by Berry, and Berry's "archives" (1967-1972), which consist
of mailings, board meeting agendas, press releases, reports, correspondence, and Berry's
notes. The papers are arranged chronologically, followed by an alphabetical sequence
Subseries B, Board Meetings and Conferences (#1.21-2.12), contains correspondence,
printed material, agendas and minutes, budgets, bylaws, reports, and notes from NOW
board meetings and conferences. Also included are speech notes from workshops on marriage
and divorce given by Berry. The papers are arranged chronologically; a folder pertaining
to more than one meeting is listed at the end of the subseries. Material pertaining
to NOW conferences relating to the topic of marriage and divorce are included in Subseries
Subseries C, Marriage, Divorce, and Family Relations Task Force and New York NOW Marriage
and Family Committee (#2.13-3.11, 15.4, 16.1-16.4), contains correspondence, printed
material, and newsletters relating to both the national and New York chapter task
forces, which Berry chaired simultaneously. Also included is the NOW Marriage Insurance
Proposal, fact sheets written by Berry, as well as planning material, lecture notes,
and workshop reports from two NOW-sponsored conferences on marriage and divorce. The
papers are arranged chronologically, except for the addenda. For various task force
projects and actions, see also Subseries E and Subseries H. In addition, some task
force-related correspondence is in Subseries A.
Subseries D, Legislation (#3.12-5.6), consists of material related to NOW's legislative
efforts on both national and state levels regarding marriage and divorce, such as
child care tax deductions and Social Security. The subseries contains correspondence
with federal and state legislators and others (including Ruth Bader Ginsburg); testimonies
by Berry; NOW legislative goals; drafts of bills; printed material; press releases;
a transcript of a Berry radio interview; and material relating to the New York NOW
Equal Rights Divorce Reform Bill. The papers are arranged alphabetically. Some material
relating to Berry's legislative efforts on behalf of NOW is included in Series V,
Subseries E, Actions (#5.7-5.17), contains correspondence, printed material, press
releases, clippings, and reports relating to protests, boycotts, and the August 26,
1970 strike. Included are Berry's speech notes and action plans relating to a series
of action nights sponsored by the Marriage and Family Committee of the New York chapter
of NOW. The papers are arranged alphabetically; folders pertaining to more than one
action are listed at the end of the subseries.
Subseries F, New York Chapter of NOW (#5.18-6.8), consists of ballots for two 1968
elections, membership lists, Berry's notes from Executive Committee and Board meetings
(for minutes), NOW proposals for amendments to the New York state constitution, correspondence,
and printed material. The papers are arranged alphabetically. Some information pertaining
to the New York chapter of NOW is also included in Subseries H.
Subseries G, Chapter Marriage and Divorce Committees (#6.9-6.20), consists of correspondence,
printed material, drafts of bills, and testimonies from states other than New York.
The papers are arranged alphabetically by chapter location. A folder pertaining to
more than one chapter is listed at the end of the subseries.
Subseries H, NOW Subject Files (#6.21-8.2), contains printed material, correspondence,
notes, and reports. Also included are position papers by Berry on topics such as the
uniform divorce act and no fault divorce, as well as material related to her work
on "A Woman's Guide to Florida Laws," a pamphlet written under a NOW LDEF grant. The
papers are arranged alphabetically by topic.
Series III, Marriage and Divorce Press, Inc. (#8.3-8.14, 15.5-15.7), contains correspondence,
drafts of articles, clippings, mostly related to the Marriage, Divorce, and the Family Newsletter edited by Berry. Also included are consumer education booklets published by the press.
The papers are arranged chronologically except for the addenda.
Series IV, National Commission on the Observance of International Women's Year (#8.15-9.3),
contains correspondence, printed material, memos, fact sheets, and Berry's meeting
notes from her work on the Homemaker Committee. The papers are arranged chronologically.
Series V, General Subject Files (#9.4-13.10), contains printed material, correspondence,
notes, buttons, and reports pertaining to topics and organizations of interest to
Berry, primarily related to marriage and divorce. This subseries includes material
from conferences and workshops in which Berry participated, as well as notes from
her speeches and lectures. It also contains writings by Berry and papers relating
to a series of booklets on marriage, divorce, and the law that she edited for the
Presbyterian Church. The papers are arranged alphabetically by topic. A folder pertaining
to more than one conference is listed at the end of the conferences and workshops.
Series VI, Photographs (#PD.1-PD.4), contains three folders of photographs of Berry
and others from NOW events, primarily meetings and demonstrations.
- Series I. PERSONAL
- 1.1. NOW appointments and resignations [notes and correspondence, including Jacqueline
Ceballos and Betty Friedan], 1967-1972.
- 1.2. Publicity [clippings, correspondence], 1968-1976
- 1.3. Miscellaneous writings, 1970, 1975-1977, n.d.
- 1.4. Speeches [speech notes], 1971, 1975-1976, n.d.
- 14.1. [Resumes, 1959-2003.]
- F+D.1. [Diplomas, 1944, 1968.]
- 14.2. [Clippings re: Berry, 1940-2001.]
- 14.3. [Bride's Notebook, 1947.]
- 14.4. [Datebooks, 1968-1973.]
- 14.5. [Letters of reference, 1947-1974.]
- 14.6. [YMCA interview with Berry, 1971-1972.]
- 14.7. [Speeches and correspondence re: speaking, 1970-1977.]
- 14.8. [Speeches: fragments, n.d.]
- 14.9. [Correspondence, 1964-1989.]
- 14.10. [Correspondence with Schlesinger Library, 1980-1989.]
- 14.11. [Correspondence with Schlesinger Library: Tully-Crenshaw Oral History Project, 1990-2006.]
- 15.1. [Veteran Feminists of America: correspondence, invitations, clippings, etc., 1990s;
includes autobiographical account.]
- 15.2. [Veteran Feminists of America: conference brochures, mailing list, announcements,
- Mem.1. [Veteran Feminists Medal of Honor/Betty Berry, June 3, 1995 (verso).]
FILED WITH MEMORABILIA.
- 15.3. [Correspondence with Margaret Chase Smith, also re: Margaret Chase Smith Library,
- Series II. NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR WOMEN
- Subseries A. General
- 1.6. 1967 [mailings, national and chapter bylaws, contact list, interim reports, task force
- 1.7. Membership, personal [Berry membership cards, mailings], 1967-1975.
- 1.8. 1968 [letters, reports, press release, notes, board meeting agenda], 1968, n.d.
- 1.9. NOW Acts [draft of article by Berry, memo], 1968, 1988.
- 1.10. 1969 [board meeting agenda, memos, press release, ERA], 1969, n.d.
Includes reference copies of photographs from Washington, D.C. ERA demonstration;
originals in #PD.2.
- 1.11. Names and addresses [membership lists, lists of officers], 1969-1975, n.d.
CLOSED UNTIL JANUARY 1, 2025.
- 1.12. NOW York Times, 1st issue [memo, letter, draft of article by Berry], 1970.
- 1.13. 1971 [memos, printed material, correspondence, reports].
- 1.14. 1972 [task force reports, memos, budgets, bylaws, correspondence, Berry's notes, etc.],
- 1.15. Correspondence [mostly re: Marriage, Divorce, and the Family Task Force], 1972-1976.
- 1.16. Boyer, Gene [correspondence, expense report], 1970-1976.
Reference copy of photograph; original in #PD.2.
- 1.17. DeCrow, Karen [letters], 1975-1976.
- 1.18. Friedan, Betty [correspondence, memo], 1968-1979.
- 1.19. Heide, Wilma Scott [correspondence], 1971-1978, n.d.
- 1.20. Seidenberg, Faith [correspondence], 1970-1971.
- Subseries B. Board Meetings and Conferences
- 1.21. Third National Conference, Atlanta 1968 [Berry's panel notes, reports], 1968-1969,
- 1.22. Washington, D.C. board meeting, March 1969 [minutes].
- 1.23. California board meeting, June 1969 [memos, agenda, Marriage, Divorce, and Family
Relations Task Force notes].
- 1.24. National Conference, Chicago, March 1970 and Nominating [Committee] report [memos,
reports, correspondence, including letters from Eliza Paschall and Barbara Ireton],
- 2.1. National Conference, Los Angeles, September 1971 [national board minutes, press releases,
reports and recommendations by Berry], 1971, n.d.
- 2.2. Southern Regional Conference, New Orleans, October 31, 1971 [Southern Region NOW bylaws
and resolutions, correspondence with Sylvia Roberts], 1970-1971, n.d.
- 2.3. Atlanta board meeting, November 1, 1971 [memo, agenda, report by Berry, minutes],
- 2.4. Eastern Regional Conference, New York, February 1972 [memos; mailings; printed material;
workshop notes and draft of report by Berry, etc.], 1971-1972.
- 2.5. Midwest Regional Conference, Minneapolis, March 1972 [printed material; correspondence;
notes and report from marriage and divorce workshop given by Berry; list of workshop
attendees], 1970-1972, n.d.
- 2.6. Marriage and Divorce Task Force, Chicago 1972, All Task Force Retreat [memos; printed
material; task force lobbying kit; Marriage, Divorce, and Family Relations Task Force
statement], 1972, n.d.
- 2.7. New York State Conference, Syracuse 1972; Binghamton 1973 [printed material, Berry
background paper for workshop (1972)].
- 2.8. Washington, D.C., Conference February 15-17, 1973, 6th Annual [printed material, drafts
of chapter and workshop resolutions, including Marriage, Divorce, and Family Relations
Task Force workshop, Berry's notes], 1972-1973.
Includes reference copies of photographs; originals in #PD.2.
- 2.9. Eastern Regional Conference, Pittsburgh, May 1973 [printed material, bylaws].
- 2.10. New York State Conference, Albany 1974 [printed material; proposed bylaws; reports;
Berry's notes from marriage, divorce, and family workshop].
- 2.11. National Conference, Philadelphia, 1975 [printed material, Berry's notes re: Divorce
- 2.12. [Other board meetings and conferences: printed material, budgets, reports, etc.; for
Eastern Regional Conference (1970), National Conference (1978), including ERA YES
balloon; and Syracuse (1970) and Houston (1971) board meetings].
- Subseries C. Marriage, Divorce, and Family Relations Task Force and New York NOW Marriage
and Family Committee
- 2.13-2.14. Marriage insurance [memos; correspondence with Jacob Javits, Faith Seidenberg, and
others; notes, etc.], 1968-1975.
- 2.15-2.16. Task Force reports [position papers, workshop reports, printed material, correspondence,
notes, mailing list], 1968-1974.
- 2.17. Task Force coordinators correspondence, internal [includes memos; questionnaire; correspondence
with members of NOW, including Cynthia Morse, Alice Rossi, Elizabeth Spalding, and
others], 1968-1977, n.d.
- 2.18. Committee [correspondence with Elaine Livingston and others; press releases; minutes,
- 3.1. Marriage Insurance copyright [copyright certificate for "Proposal for a Marriage Insurance
Plan," by Berry for New York NOW; minutes from New York NOW executive board meetings,
- 3.2. Task Force resolutions [includes letter], 1970-1977.
- 3.3. [Committee membership lists], 1971, n.d.
CLOSED UNTIL JANUARY 1, 2028.
- 3.4. Task Force Child Custody Subcommittee [correspondence, printed material, notes, etc.],
- 3.5. Task Force fact sheets [written by Berry], 1972-1974.
- 3.6. Task Force newsletter (one set), 1972-1975.
- 3.7. Task Force newsletter: correspondence [includes Elizabeth Spalding], 1973-1978.
- 3.8-3.9. Marriage and Divorce Conference, January 19 and 20, 1974 [planning material; correspondence
with New York state legislators and others; drafts of workshop reports; typed transcript
(partial) of workshops; Berry notes from speech, etc.], 1973-1974
- 3.10. Marriage and Divorce Conference, May 18, 1974 [conference packet].
- 3.11. Spalding, Betty [Elizabeth]: writings, 1975, n.d.
- 15.4. [Statements of appreciation..., 1973-1974, n.d.; "A NOW Look at Marriage" signed by
Betty Friedan; Berry's recollections, n.d.]
- Subseries D. Legislation
- 3.12. Abzug, Bella [letters, printed material], 1971-1974.
Reference copy of photograph of Abzug and Berry; originals in #PD.2.
- 3.13. Child care tax deduction: Elizabeth Barrett [Nammack] [correspondence, printed material,
trial brief, etc., re: Barrett tax case and NOW demonstration; includes city permit
(button) for demonstration], 1971.
Reference copies of photographs from demonstration; originals in #PD.3.
- 3.14. Child care tax deduction: NOW legislation [correspondence, reports, drafts of legislation,
etc.], 1971, n.d.
- 3.15. Child support enforcement legislation and hearings [printed material, NOW memos, paper
by Elizabeth Spalding, etc.], 1971-1975.
- 3.16. [Child] support enforcement testimony before Senate Finance Committee [testimony by
Berry, correspondence, statements, etc.], 1973.
- 4.1. Connecticut State Judiciary, testimony, 1971 [testimony by Berry, correspondence with
Ann Bandazian, clippings, notes, etc.].
- 4.2. Federal legislative efforts [Betty] Berry/[Ann] Scott [printed material, letters],
- 4.3. Federal legislators correspondence, assorted [includes Shirley Chisholm], 1967-1976.
- 4.4. Ginsburg, Ruth [correspondence], 1971.
- 4.5. Governor [Nelson] Rockefeller's Conference, 1971: Women's Unit [conference materials,
Berry's marriage and divorce background papers, notes, etc.], 1971.
- 4.6. Health insurance, New York State [correspondence with New York state legislators,
notes, bills, etc.], 1968-1971.
- 4.7. Koch, Ed, Congressman [correspondence], 1973-1977.
- 4.8. Senator Javits, [Jacob K.] [correspondence, printed material], 1968-1971, n.d.
- 4.9. Medicare discrimination [correspondence with United States senators], 1970.
- 4.10. New York county lawyers: Julia Perles [correspondence, notes, draft of domestic relations
- 4.11. New York NOW Responsible Divorce Bill or Equal Rights Divorce Bill [bills, printed
material, press releases, correspondence], 1972-1975.
- 4.12. New York State legislative action, 1970-1974 [correspondence with New York state legislators:
NOW legislative goals and recommendations, printed material, etc.].
- 4.13-4.14. New York State legislative action, 1975-1976 [drafts of New York State NOW proposals
for matrimonial legislation, correspondence with New York state legislators, printed
material, bills, etc.], 1975-1977.
- 4.15. New York State legislative hearings [testimonies by Berry, statements, correspondence,
press release, etc.], 1970-1977.
- 4.16. New York State Legislature: Roy Goodman [correspondence, printed material, NOW legislative
goals, bills, etc.; includes uncataloged photographs], 1968-1975.
- 5.1. New York State Legislature: Rosemary Gunning [correspondence; bills and drafts of
bills; reports, transcript of radio interview with Gunning and Berry], 1972-1976.
- 5.2. New York State NOW family law positions, ca.1975
- 5.3. [Other federal efforts: printed material, law re: rape prevention, civil service retirement
law, and federal income tax discrimination], 1975, n.d.
- 5.4. Seattle, Washington NOW marriage and divorce testimony [drafts of bills, correspondence,
statements, etc.], 1971-1973.
- 5.5. Social Security efforts by Anni Landauer: NOW member [correspondence, notes, questionnaire],
- 5.6. Social Security legislation [notes, bills, correspondence with Jacob K. Javits and
legislators, Anni Landauer and others], 1970-1976.
- Subseries E. Actions
- 5.7. Family court: New York NOW [notes, printed material, reports, memos, etc.; includes
Brooklyn chapter of NOW and Brooklyn Women's Political Caucus], 1971-1977, n.d.
- 5.8. Judges' attitudes: New York [correspondence about family court], 1972.
- 5.9. New York NOW Marriage and Divorce Committee Action Night, June 1971 [notes, letters,
drafts of Berry speech, press release, etc.].
- 5.10. New York NOW Marriage and Divorce [Committee] Action Night, July 7, 1971 [draft of
Berry's speech, letters, notes, etc.].
- 5.11. New York NOW Marriage and Divorce Committee Action Plan, 1971.
- 5.12. New York NOW [Marriage and Divorce Committee] Single Mother Action Night, May 4, 1971
[printed material, recommendations, notes, letters, etc.]
- 5.13. Strike, August 26, 1970: action [plans for New York NOW Marriage and Family Committee,
statement, correspondence, printed material, reports, etc.], 1970, n.d.
- 5.14. Strike: August 26, 1970: publicity [clippings re: Berry's involvement in the strike],
- 5.15. Strike, [August 25], 1972 [press release, printed material; includes letter re: August
26, 1971 march], 1971-1972.
Reference copies of photographs from demonstration; originals in #PD.3.
- 5.16. [Other actions: Colgate-Palmolive boycott and Oak Room protest] 1968-1969, n.d.
- 5.17. Assorted actions: other committees, New York NOW [memos, printed material, text of
telegram; includes protest at Statue of Liberty], 1970, 1988.
- Subseries F. New York Chapter of NOW
- 5.18. Archives, 1967-1968 [list of executive committee members, correspondence, including
Jean Faust], 1967-1969.
- 5.19-5.20. Archives, 1967-1968, [notes from executive committee and board meetings, printed material,
- 6.1. Atkinson, Ti-Grace [memos, letters, Berry position paper for NOW on marriage and divorce
with comments by Atkinson, etc.] 1967-1968.
- 6.2. Ballots, October 17 and December 19, 1968].
- 6.3. Education Committee: "Token Learning," by Kate Millett [memo, comments], 1968-1969.
- 6.4. Invitation to join [New York] NOW [includes Queens chapter mailing], n.d.
- 6.5. Membership, personal [Berry's membership cards, mailings for New York NOW], 1969-1975.
- 6.6. Names and addresses [membership lists], 1967-1968, n.d.
CLOSED UNTIL JANUARY 1, 2028.
- 6.7. New York State 1967 Constitutional Convention [correspondence, press release, New
York NOW proposals for amendments to NY State constitution].
- 6.8. Newsletters [correspondence, fragments of newsletters], 1968-1972, n.d.
- Subseries G. Chapter Marriage and Divorce Committees
- 6.9. Atlanta: Eliza Paschall [letter, position paper, drafts of partnership contract, etc.],
- 6.10. Connecticut [letters, reports, printed material, draft of testimony by Elizabeth Spalding
before Connecticut Human Rights and Opportunities Committee], 1971-1974, n.d.
- 6.11. Delaware [letters, draft of statement by divorce committee], 1972, n.d.
- 6.12. Illinois [letters and copies of outgoing letters by Betty Dwyer], 1972, n.d.
- 6.13. Maryland [letter, Katherine McElroy statement before Judicial Matters Committee for
Maryland on behalf of Montgomery County], 1971.
- 6.14. [Nassau County, New York: letters, notes], 1974, n.d.
- 6.15. Nebraska [correspondence with Ellen Sim Dewey and others, statements, printed material,
drafts of bills, etc.], 1972-1975, n.d.
- 6.16. New Jersey [notes, draft of bill, letter], 1971-1973, n.d.
- 6.17. Pennsylvania, including Pittsburgh [printed material, correspondence, etc.], 1973-1974,
- 6.18. [Suffolk County, New York: divorce handbook, case study, letter], 1974, n.d.
- 6.19. Wisconsin [letters, testimony by Gene Boyer before Assembly Judiciary Committee of
the Wisconsin State Legislature, drafts of bills], 1975.
- 6.20. [Other chapters: newsletter, printed material, and notes], 1974-1976, n.d.
- Subseries H. NOW Subject Files
- 6.21. Abortion law repeal [printed material, copies of letters], 1967-1969.
- 6.22. Button: Equal Partnership in Marriage [correspondence, article in Ms. Magazine re: New York NOW button], 1972-1974.
- 6.23. Compulsory financial disclosure [correspondence with Robert Blumberg, NOW LDEF], 1975-1976.
- 6.24. Constitutionality of divorce law [printed material, correspondence, notes], 1968-1974,
- 6.25. Democratic National Committee [notes, letter, recommendations by Marriage, Divorce,
and Family Relations Task Force], 1972.
- 6.26. Demographic reports/divorce certificate records [printed material, correspondence,
notes, etc., re: centralized divorce data and U.S. standard certificate of divorce],
- 7.1. Divorce Collective [correspondence with Faith Seidenberg and others, notes, collective
membership lists, writings by Berry, Emily Goodman and Corrine Coleman, probably for
divorce pamphlet], 1970-1972, n.d.
- 7.2. Employment [memos, printed material, etc., re: employment discrimination], 1967-1968.
- 7.3. Foster, Henry [letters, notes, etc.], 1968-1972, n.d.
- 7.4. Housewives pension [correspondence, draft of bill, printed material], 1970, 1975.
- 7.5. Illegitimate children [letters], 1971-1972, n.d.
- 7.6. Legal experience file [memo, letters from Elaine Livingston and Marilyn Patel], 1972.
- 7.7-7.8. Marriage education [writings; notes; correspondence with Harriet Pilpel and others;
2 annotated copies of "Family Living Including Sex Education," a New York City Board
of Education curriculum bulletin], 1967-1970, 1973.
- 7.9. Divorce counseling [printed material, notes, draft of report by Nanette Scofield re:
work training and divorce], 1974, n.d.
- 7.10-7.12. [National Organization for Women Legal Defense and Education Fund] LDEF grant: Florida
[correspondence; notes; drafts of "A Woman's Guide to Florida Laws" written by Berry;
includes correspondence with Barbara Cox, Mary Jean Tully, Leonore Weitzman, and others],
- 7.13. [National Organization for Women Legal Defense and Education Fund] LDEF: general [correspondence
with Barbara Cox and Leonore Weitzman, grant application by Berry to LDEF], 1976.
- 7.14. Task Force on Older Women [letters from Tish Somers, printed material re: task force
and Alliance for Displaced Homemakers], 1973-1978, n.d.
- 7.15. No fault divorce [letter, testimony, printed material, position paper by Berry for
NOW Marriage, Divorce, and Family Relations Task Force], 1972-1973, n.d.
- 8.1. Uniform Divorce Act: NOW guidelines [drafts of position by Berry for Marriage, Divorce,
and Family Relations Task Force], 1971, 1973.
- 8.2. Wood, Nan [correspondence with Nancy F. Wood, drafts of resolutions for 1975 National
Conference, and writings re: marriage contracts, etc.], 1974-1977.
- Series III. MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE PRESS, INC.
- 8.3. Marriage, Divorce, and the Family Newsletter, 1974-1977.
- 8.4. Consumer education [five consumer education booklets published by Marriage and Divorce
- 8.5. Correspondence [correspondence, printed material, notes re: Betty Friedan], 1974-1977,
- 8.6. Business Week chart and Doris [Freed] [state divorce chart, correspondence], 1975-1976.
- 8.7. Marriage contracts [drafts of articles, correspondence with Karl Fleischmann and Lenore
- 8.8. Publicity [clippings, writings by Berry, etc.], 1975-1976, n.d.
- 8.9-8.10. Source material [notes, correspondence, writings, etc.], 1975-1976.
- 8.11. Farrell, Warren [letter, drafts of newsletter article, printed material], 1976, n.d.
- 8.12. Promotional material, 1976-1977, n.d.
- 8.13. Separation agreement guides [NOW pamphlet, sample contract, letter and draft of newsletter
article], 1976, n.d.
- 8.14. Model laws [drafts of "Model Divorce Legislation," pamphlet written by Berry], 1977.
- 15.5. [Incorporation documents, certificates, 1974.]
- 15.6. ["Creative Living by Ed Dexter," excerpts from Marriage, Divorce, and the Family Newsletter, 1975-1977.]
- 15.7. [Publicity, etc., re: newsletter, 1970s.]
- Series IV. NATIONAL COMMISSION ON THE OBSERVANCE OF INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S YEAR
- 8.15-9.2. International Women's Year [Homemaker Committee: printed material, correspondence,
press releases, memos, fact sheets, Berry's meeting notes, etc.], 1973-1977. (3 folders)
- 9.3. International Women's Year [reports, press releases, printed material, letters, Proposed
National Plan of Action, etc.], 1975-1977.
- Series V. GENERAL SUBJECT FILES
- 9.4. Age discrimination [letter, printed material], 1968-1971, n.d.
- 9.5. Battered wives [printed material, New York NOW press release; includes a "Report by
the Task Force to Study a Haven for Physically Abused Persons," Montgomery County,
MD], 1975, n.d.
- 9.6. Bibliographies, general: women, marriage, sexuality, divorce [letters, notes, bibliographies;
includes bibliography prepared by Berry for YWCA class], 1971-1977, n.d.
- 9.7. Brown, Emily: Divorce Counseling Service [letter, printed material], 1975-1976, n.d.
- 9.8. Child support bills: Senator [Russell] Long and staff and Congressman Ed Koch [includes
notes, some correspondence on behalf of NOW], 1973-1975.
- 9.9. Child support/alimony: formula for Isabel Sawhill: Urban Institute [letters, chart,
report by Sawhill], 1975, 1977, 1981-1982.
- 9.10. Child support/alimony: opinions of NOW members and others [letters, printed material,
notes; includes papers by Elizabeth Spalding, Ann Hausman, Barbara Settle, Leonore
Weitzman and Ruth Dixon], 1965, 1973-1976.
- 9.11. Government child support laws/program, results [letter, report, etc.], 1971-1976.
- 10.1. [Conferences and workshops] American Bar Association [drafts of Berry's talk at 1976
ABA annual meeting; questionnaires re: national divorce center completed by session
attendees; correspondence; notes, etc.]
- 10.2. [Conferences and workshops] Barnard Seminar [notes, conference materials, draft of
a talk by Berry], 1975.
- 10.3. Citizen's Advisory Council [on the Status of Women: notes, letters to Catherine East,
reports, including a draft of the Report of the Task Force on Family Law and Policy
- 10.4-10.6. [Conferences and workshops] Florida State Governors Task Force on the Family [correspondence,
notes, reports, book of background material, etc.], 1974-1975.
- 10.7. [Conferences and workshops] Homemaking Conference, Betty Ford, 1975 [printed material,
press release, notes].
- 10.8. [Conferences and workshops] The Military Family [printed material, conference proceedings],
- 10.9. [Conferences and workshops] National Council on Family Relations [letter, printed
material from conferences, talks given by Berry], 1970, 1974, 1976.
- 10.10. [Conferences and workshops] Ripon Society [letter, printed material, summary of talk
by Berry with fact sheet], 1974.
- 10.11. [Conferences and workshops] Today's Family, October 26, 1976 [correspondence, reports,
printed material, notes], 1976-1977.
- 11.1. [Conferences and workshops] Women's Bureau, U.S. Government [conference material from
50th anniversary conference, list of participants, reports, etc.], 1970, 1975.
- 11.2. [Conferences and workshops] YWCA divorce course [taught by Berry; workshop materials
and kits, Berry's lecture notes, etc.], 1976-1977, n.d.
- 11.3. [Conferences and workshops] YWCA divorce course: publicity [clippings, printed material,
correspondence, press releases], 1976-1977, 1980.
- 11.4. [Conferences and workshops] [Other workshops and forums: letter, printed material],
- 11.5. Divorce counseling [printed material, brochures, etc.], 1974-1976.
- 11.6. Divorce lawyer questionnaire [printed material; correspondence; divorce questionnaires
and surveys from NOW, including New York NOW; includes correspondence and drafts of
questionnaire for McCall's Magazine], 1971, 1976, n.d.
- 11.7. Divorced Catholics [newsletter of North American Conference of Separated and Divorced Catholics], 1975.
- 11.8. Equal Rights Amendment [writings by Berry, letters, printed material by NOW and other
organizations, etc.; includes New York State efforts], 1970-1976.
- 11.9. Evangelical women and feminism [letter, speeches, printed material, etc., re: Evangelical
Women's Caucus], 1975, n.d.
- 11.10. Feminist buttons [National Organization for Women, Susan B. Anthony, Eastern Regional
Conference, Feb. 12-13, 1972; Support the Women's Lobby, Aug. 26; August 26, Women's
March for Equality; August 26, Women's Strike for Equality; Women mean business, State
National Bank, Bethesda HQ; Women hold up the sky; Freedom for women] 1972, n.d.
- 11.11. FOCUS [letters, newsletters, printed material of For Our Children and Us], 1973, 1980-1982.
- 11.12. Foreign divorce laws [printed material, letters, notes], 1970-1976.
- 11.13. Housewife, value of the [letter, pamphlets, printed material], 1974-1977, n.d.
- 11.14. Lawyer-client agreement [letter, printed material, sample agreement], 1967, 1976-1977,
- 12.1. League for Women's Rights [printed material, notes], n.d.
- 12.2. Marriage contracts: examples [sample contracts; writings; correspondence with Leonore
Weitzman, Jane Everhart, Maryjean Suelzle, and others; includes work on behalf of
- 12.3. Marriage education: Catholics [drafts of pre-cana course outline, letter], n.d.
- 12.4. Men's divorce groups [printed material and notes], 1976-1977.
- 12.5. National divorce center [drafts of Berry position paper, correspondence, notes, etc.],
- 12.6. N.O.I.S.E. [pamphlets and notes re: National Organization to Insure Support Enforcement],
- 12.7. New York State Department of Social Services [notes, letter, printed material, etc.],
- 12.8. New York Times [correspondence, some by Berry on behalf of NOW; includes copy of letter by Jacqueline
- 12.9. Older Women's League (OWL) [testimony of Miriam King before the Federal Council on
the Aging, recommendations], 1975, n.d.
- 12.10. Presbyterian correspondence, including copyrights [correspondence with Priscilla MacDougall,
Gene Boyer, and others; printed material; press releases; copyright application; booklets
edited by Berry on marriage and the law for the Presbyterian church], 1973-1978.
- 12.11. Quotations/plays [includes play by member of NOW], 1970, 1973, n.d.
- OD.1. [Poster: "Mod Donna Art," removed from #12.11], 1970.
- 12.13. Radical Feminists [first and third drafts of New York Radical Feminists state legislative
- 12.14. Statistical data [on marriage and divorce: notes, letters, printed material], 1969-1975.
- 12.15. United States Divorce Reform, Inc. [mailings, printed material, letters, etc.], 1969-1973,
- FD.1. [United States Divorce Reform, Inc.: bumper sticker removed from #12.15], n.d.
- 12.16-13.1. Use of name: Priscilla MacDougall [correspondence, printed material re: The Center
for a Woman's Own Name; writings by MacDougall for Berry's Marriage, Divorce & Family Newsletter; includes some work on behalf of NOW], 1970-1977, n.d. (3 folders)
- 13.2-13.3. Women's Action Alliance [National Women's Agenda: memos, objectives, conference materials,
plans of actions, correspondence, etc.], 1976-1977.
- 13.4. Women's Action Alliance: National Women's Agenda ["United States National Women's
Agenda Task Force Plans of Action: Summary of Drafts;" includes memos], 1976.
- 13.5. Women's legal rights: booklets [printed material], 1967-1969.
- 13.6. Women's legal rights: booklets by states, California-Louisiana [letter, printed material,
etc.], 1972-1976, n.d.
- 13.7. Women's legal rights: booklets by state, Massachusetts-Tennessee [letters, printed
material, drafts, etc.], 1972-1975, n.d.
- 13.8. Women's legal rights: booklets by state, Vermont-Wisconsin [correspondence, printed
material; includes "Know Your Rights: What a Working Wife Should Know about her Legal
Rights," a leaflet by the United States Department of Labor], 1968, 1973, n.d.
- 13.9. Women's Lobby and Political Caucus [newsletters (The Women Lobbyist); matrimonial legislation recommendations by Berry on behalf of New York State NOW;
legislative priorities of groups including the Manhattan Women's Political Caucus,
The Women's Political Caucus of New York County, and the New York Women's Lobby],
- 13.10. YMCA [letters, "Perspectives for Social Relevance in Long-Range Planning, National
Board's Operating Goals (1973-1978)"], 1973-1975.
- Series VI. PHOTOGRAPHS. FILED WITH PHOTOGRAPHS
- PD.1. NOW board meeting, January, 1973, New York City
- PD.2. Removed from #1.10, 1.16, 2.8, 3.12
- PD.3. Removed from #3.13, 5.15
- PD.4. Photographs of Berry and others, 1947?, 1968-2006, n.d.
Child support--United States
Divorce--Law and legislation--New York (State)
Divorce--Law and legislation--United States
Divorced women--United States
International Women's Year, 1975--United States
Married women--United States
Sex discrimination against women--Law and legislation
Women--Legal status, laws, etc.--United States
Women--United States--Social conditions
Women's rights--United States
Ginsburg, Ruth Bader
National Organization for Women
National Organization for Women. New York Chapter
NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund
Rossi, Alice S., 1922-2009
Spalding, Elizabeth Coxe
United States. National Commission on the Observance of International Women's Year
Veteran Feminists of America
Weitzman, Lenore J.