Darcy, Lynne. Papers of NOW officer Lynne Darcy, 1971-1976: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
These papers were processed under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Call No.: MC 494
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Lynne Darcy
Title: Papers of NOW officer Lynne Darcy, 1971-1976
Quantity: 1.25 linear feet (3 file boxes) plus 1 folio+ folder)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Papers of National Organization for Women officer Lynne Darcy, coordinator of NOW's
Task Force on Compliance and Enforcement.
Accession number: 94-M78
These papers were given to the Schlesinger Library by Lynne Darcy in June 1994.
Processed: November 2002
By: Johanna Carll
As of November 2015, written permission from the National Organization for Women (NOW)
is no longer required for access to folders #1.1-3.13.
Copyright. Copyright in papers created by Lynne Darcy while an officer of the National
Organization for Women (NOW) is held by NOW. Copyright in other papers in the collection
may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Lynn Darcy. Papers of NOW officer Lynn Darcy, 1971-1976; item description, dates.
MC 494, folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge,
Lynne Darcy, a lawyer and National Organization for Women (NOW) activist, was born
May 15, 1941, in New York City. She received her B.A. in chemistry from Case Western
Reserve University (1962), and her J.D. from the University of Michigan (1978). Darcy
was employed by RCA Laboratories (1962-1978), the law firm of Kenyon & Kenyon (1979-1984),
Lever Brothers Company (1984-1988), and Darcy, Donovan & Coleman (1988-1990). She
rejoined Kenyon & Kenyon in 1990.
Darcy was treasurer of Central New Jersey NOW (ca.1970-1971), coordinator of the Central
New Jersey NOW Employment Task Force (ca.1970-1973), coordinator of New Jersey Women
on Employment, a statewide coalition of New Jersey women's groups, including NOW (ca.1971-1973),
and coordinator of the National Organization for Women's Task Force on Compliance
and Enforcement (1973-1976), as well as the Task Force on Task Forces (ca.1974-1976).
The collection is arranged in three series:
- Series I. National Organization for Women (NOW) Task Force on Compliance and Enforcement
- Series II. National Organization for Women (NOW) Task Force on Task Forces (#3.4-3.13)
- Series III. Other Organizations (#3.14-3.15)
This collection contains mostly correspondence. There are also printed material, reports,
clippings, press releases, minutes, notes by Darcy, etc. The collection is arranged
in three series.
Series I, National Organization for Women (NOW) Task Force on Compliance and Enforcement
(#1.1-3.3), contains correspondence, printed material, clippings, minutes, notes,
etc., by Darcy, as well as by Mary Lynn Myers and Joan Hull, earlier task force coordinators.
Topics covered in this series include task force procedures and sex discrimination
actions taken by individual NOW members, NOW chapters, and the task force, particularly
actions against Xerox and General Mills. Records are arranged chronologically.
Series II, National Organization for Women (NOW) Task Force on Task Forces (#3.4-3.13),
contains correspondence with and surveys completed by leaders of various task forces.
Topics covered in this series include the arrangement of and agenda items for meetings.
Records are arranged chronologically.
Series III, Other Organizations (#3.14-3.15), contains correspondence, minutes, and
potential member lists of the Association of Feminist Consultants. There is also correspondence
and a proposal created by the NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund. Records are arranged
alphabetically by organization name.
Folder headings are those of Darcy unless otherwise noted; archivist's headings and
notes are in square brackets. All printed material by or about Darcy, as well as all
printed material with annotations, has been kept in the collection. Other NOW publications
and reports, except those created by Darcy, were transferred to the NOW records in
the Schlesinger Library. Non-NOW printed material produced by mainstream organizations
and publications was discarded; leaflets and other ephemera of small, transient organizations
- Series I. NOW TASK FORCE ON COMPLIANCE AND ENFORCEMENT
- 1.1. NOW Compliance Task Force actions [correspondence between Mary Lynn Myers, Gene Boyer,
and Ann Scott], 1971-1972
- 1.2-1.3. Chapter and individual compliance activities and charges [Mary Lynn Myers correspondence;
includes correspondence with Wilma Scott Heide.], 1972.
- 1.4. Chapter and individual compliance activities and charges [correspondence], 1972-1973
- 1.5. Chapter and individual compliance activities and charges [correspondence, some to
Joan Hull], 1973
- 1.6-1.9. Chapter and individual compliance activities and charges [correspondence, clippings,
printed material], 1974
- 1.10-1.11. NOW Compliance Task Force [Mary Lynn Myers coordinator]: general correspondence, 1972;
includes a letter from Representative Patsy T. Mink (#1.11).
- 1.12-1.14. General Mills [correspondence, press releases, printed material, clippings, etc.,
created by Joan Hull], 1972
- 1.15. [NOW meeting with] Equal Employment Opportunity Commission [Joan Hull correspondence,
minutes, notes], 1972
- 1.16. Sex discrimination cases filed [correspondence concerning cases filed by NOW and NOW
members; file created by Joan Hull], 1972-1973
- 2.1. [NOW Compliance Task Force: Joan Hull correspondence and mailing list], 1973
- 2.2. Manpower [Joan Hull correspondence, printed material], 1973
- 2.3f+. Poster removed from #2.2
- 2.4. Manpower [correspondence with Wilma Scott Heide, printed material], 1973-1975
- 2.5. [Letters from] Wilma Scott Heide, 1973-1975
- 2.6-2.9. Xerox [correspondence, printed material], 1973-1975
- 2.10. [Clippings with related correspondence re: compliance], 1973-1974
- 2.11. Armed Services [correspondence, clippings], 1974-1975
- 2.12. Armed Services [clippings], 1975
- 2.13. Darcy notes [on meetings and bills], 1974-1975
- 2.14. [Statements submitted on behalf of Darcy to Congressional subcommittees], 1974-1975
- 2.15. [Clippings mentioning Darcy in her role as NOW Compliance Task Force coordinator],
- 2.16. Full Employment Act Coalition [reports, minutes, supporting parties lists, etc.],
- 2.17. Full Employment Act hearings [reports, press releases], 1975
- 2.18. NOW testimony on Full Employment Act before US House of Representatives (draft), 1975
- 2.19. Full Employment Act correspondence, 1975-1976; includes a letter from Catherine East.
- 2.20. Equal employment [correspondence, reports], 1975-1976
- 2.21-3.3. [Women] construction workers [correspondence, printed material], 1975-1976 (4 folders)
- Series II. NOW TASK FORCE ON TASK FORCES
- 3.4-3.7. Task Force on Task Forces [correspondence, memos, budgets, task force coordinators
lists, etc.], 1974
- 3.8. Task Force on Task Forces [correspondence, memos, chapter codes, etc.], 1974-1975
- 3.9. Task Force on Task Forces [surveys, reports, correspondence], 1974-1976
- 3.10-3.12. Task Force on Task Forces [correspondence, memos], 1975
- 3.13. Task force coordinator questionnaire [completed questionnaires, correspondence, notes],
- Series III. OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
- 3.14. [Association of Feminist Consultants: potential members list, minutes, correspondence],
- 3.15. NOW LDEF [proposal re: sex discrimination in schools, correspondence], 1974
Sex discrimination against women--United States
Sex discrimination in employment--United States
United States--Armed Forces--Women
Women construction workers--United States
Women--Legal status, laws, etc.--United States
Women's rights--United States
Association of Feminist Consultants
East, Catherine, 1916-1996
General Mills, inc.
Heide, Wilma Scott, 1921-1985
Mink, Patsy T., 1927-2002
Myers, Mary Lynn
National Organization for Women
National Organization for Women--Employees
National Organization for Women. Task Force on Compliance and Enforcement
NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund
Scott, Ann London, 1929-1975
United States. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission