Pollock, Mordeca Jane, 1941- . Papers of NOW officer Mordeca Jane Pollock, 1969-1976:
A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
These papers were processed under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Call No.: MC 487
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Mordeca Jane Pollock, 1941-
Title: Papers of NOW officer Mordeca Jane Pollock, 1969-1976
Quantity: .63 linear feet (1+1/2 file boxes) plus 3 audiotapes)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Papers of National Organization for Women board member Mordeca Jane Pollock.
Accession numbers: 74-23, 80-M90
These papers were given to the Schlesinger Library by Mordeca Jane Pollock in February 1974 and May 1980.
Processed: October 2002
By: Johanna Carll
Access. Unrestricted except an appointment is necessary to use any audiovisual material.
As of December 2015, written permission of the National Organization for Women (NOW)
is no longer required for access to folders #1.11-2.6.
Copyright. Copyright in papers created by Mordeca Jane Pollock while an officer of
the National Organization for Women (NOW) is held by NOW. Copyright in other papers
in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Mordeca Jane Pollock. Papers of NOW officer Mordeca Jane Pollock, 1969-1976; item
description, dates. MC 487, folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard
University, Cambridge, Mass.
Mordeca Jane Pollock, professor of French and member of the board of the National
Organization for Women (NOW), was born in 1941. She was the founding chapter president
of Eastern Massachusetts NOW (1969-1970), chair of the Chapter Advisory Board (1971-1972),
member of the NOW National Conference Resolutions Committee (1971-1973, and chair,
1971), and served on the NOW National Board of Directors (1971-1973, 1975). She was
a member of the Massachusetts Governor's Commission on the Status of Women (1971-1972),
chairing the Health Task Force. Pollock was an assistant professor of French at Brandeis
University, was the chair of the Brandeis Affirmative Action Advisory Committee (1973-1974),
and was the Brandeis affirmative action coordinator (1973-1974).
The collection is arranged in two series:
- Series I. Personal Papers (#1.1-1.10)
- Series II. National Organization for Women (#1.11-2.6)
This collection contains mostly correspondence. There are also notes by Pollock, financial
records, an appointment calendar, and printed material. Papers are arranged into two
Series I, Personal Papers (#1.1-1.10), includes letters from Pauli Murray, who was
Pollock's colleague at Brandeis University.
Series II, National Organization for Women (#1.11-2.6), concerns Pollock's NOW activities
as a member of the Nominating Committee and the Board of Directors. Materials include
correspondence concerning the goals of NOW, particularly from 1975-1976, during the
Majority Caucus/Womansurge split.
The last grouping contains one folder of papers of Eliza Paschall, secretary of NOW's
Executive Committee, consisting of letters, mainly carbon and mimeograph copies, many
from Betty Friedan.
Folder headings are those of Pollock unless otherwise noted; archivist's headings
and notes are in square brackets. All printed material by or about Pollock, as well
as all printed material with annotations, has been kept in the collection. Other NOW
publications and reports, except those created by Pollock, were transferred to the
NOW records in the Schlesinger Library. Non-NOW printed material produced by mainstream
organizations and publications was discarded; leaflets and other ephemera of small,
transient organizations were retained.
- Series I. PERSONAL PAPERS
- 1.1. Abortion [includes Pollock notes], 1971-1972
- 1.2. Pauli Murray [correspondence], 1971, 1975
- 1.3at-1.5at. The New Feminism, written and read by Pollock, Behavioral Sciences Tape Library, 1972.
REQUEST AS T-89, reels 1-3.
- 1.6. Non-NOW correspondence, 1972-1973
- 1.7. [Notes from meeting to plan International Feminist Conference], April 1973
- 1.8. Consulting: Brandeis University Affirmative Action Plan, 1974
- 1.9. [Pollock appointment calendar], 1974
- 1.10. Political education [Pollock notes], 1974
- Series II. NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR WOMEN
- 1.11-1.13. [NOW] Nominating Committee, 1970-1971
- 1.14. [NOW Board] correspondence A-M, 1971-1973, 1975
- 1.15. [NOW Board] correspondence N-Z, 1972; includes letter from Gloria Steinem.
- 1.16. [NOW Board] correspondence: Gene Boyer, 1972
- 1.17. [NOW Board] correspondence: Sylvia Roberts, 1972
- 1.18. [NOW] Board correspondence, 1975-1976
- 1.19. [NOW] Resolutions Committee, 1971-1972
- 1.20. [NOW] Resolutions Committee: resolutions printed, 1972
- 1.21. [NOW] legislation, federal [correspondence], 1972
- 1.22. [Pollock reimbursement forms], 1974-1976
- 1.23. [Pollock notes on NOW] Board meetings, 1975
- 2.1. Candidacy [chair of the board], 1975
- 2.2. Notes on the Independent Caucus [Womansurge], 1975
- 2.3. Unpleasantness [Majority Caucus], 1975
- 2.4. Independent correspondence [Womansurge], 1975-1976
- 2.5. Correspondence: movement, 1975-1976
- 2.6. [Eliza Paschall, secretary of the Executive Committee, correspondence], 1969-1970
Office politics--United States
Sex discrimination against women--United States
Women--Legal status, laws, etc.--United States
Women's rights--United States
Murray, Pauli, 1910-1985
National Organization for Women
National Organization for Women--Employees
NOW Majority Caucus
Paschall, Eliza K.