Pride, Anne, 1942-1990. Papers of NOW officer Anne Pride, 1975-1979: A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
These papers were processed under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Call No.: MC 484
Repository: Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Creator: Anne Pride, 1942-1990
Title: Papers of NOW officer Anne Pride, 1975-1979
Quantity: 1.04 linear feet (2+1/2 file boxes) plus 1 photograph folder)
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Papers of National Organization for Women board member and Do It NOW publications committee chair Anne Pride.
Accession numbers: 79-M279, 79-M294
These papers were given to the Schlesinger Library by Anne Pride in December 1979.
Processed: October 2002
By: Johanna Carll
As of December 2015, written permission of the National Organization for Women (NOW)
is no longer required for access to folders #1.1-3.13.
Copyright. Copyright in papers created by Anne Pride while an officer of the National
Organization for Women (NOW) is held by NOW. Copyright in other papers in the collection
may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Anne Pride. Papers of NOW officer Anne Pride, 1975-1979; item description, dates.
MC 484, folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge,
Anne Pride, National Organization for Women (NOW) activist and publisher, was born
July 29, 1942, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She was appointed president of the feminist
publishing company KNOW, Inc. (1969), and was on the board of directors of the Committee
of Small Magazines Editors and Publishers (1974-1976). She served as editor of Do It NOW, NOW's national newsletter, and later served as chair of the Do It NOW publications committee. From 1975-1978, she served on the NOW Board of Directors.
Pride was also active in the Pittsburgh Action Against Rape, and the National Women's
Political Caucus. She died April 24, 1990.
The collection is arranged in three series:
- Series I. Do It NOW (#1.1-2.9)
- Series II. NOW Board of Directors (#2.10-3.13)
- Series III. Photograph (#3.14)
This collection contains correspondence, printed material, budgets, mailing and subscription
materials, and a photograph. The papers are arranged into three series and are arranged
chronologically within the series.
Series I, Do It NOW (#1.1-2.9), contains correspondence dealing with subscriptions, advertisements, and
criticisms of the newsletter. There are also budgets and mailing permit forms that
contain circulation information, and a few advertisements that ran in the newsletter.
Do It NOW became the National NOW Times in December 1979.
Series II, NOW Board of Directors (#2.10-3.13), contains correspondence relating to
various issues facing the board, but the bulk is concerned with the controversy over
the distribution of power in NOW. In addition to correspondence, there are printed
materials from the Public Relations Committee and the Majority Caucus of NOW, a group
of NOW members who in 1975 advocated a reorganization of NOW and a focusing of attention
on issues such as lesbian rights, abortion, and rape.
Series III, Photograph (#3.14), contains one undated photograph of an anti-abortion
Folder headings are those of Pride unless otherwise noted; archivist's headings and
notes are in square brackets. All printed material by or about Pride, as well as all
printed material with annotations, has been kept in the collection. Other NOW publications
and reports, except those created by Pride, were transferred to the NOW records in
the Schlesinger Library. Non-NOW printed material produced by mainstream organizations
and publications was discarded; leaflets and other ephemera of small, transient organizations
- Series I. DO IT NOW
- 1.1. [Do It NOW] advertising, prospects contacted, 1975-1976
- 1.2. Do It NOW subscriptions, 1975-1976
- 1.3. [Do It NOW] correspondence/sales, 1975-1977
- 1.4. [Do It NOW requests for information], 1975-1977
- 1.6. [Do It NOW] advertising [correspondence, rate information, samples, etc.], 1976
- 1.7. [Do It NOW] artists, 1976
- 1.8. [Do It NOW] correspondence with Pate Anderson, 1976
- 1.9. [Do It NOW] correspondence with Esther Kaw, 1976
- 1.10. [Do It NOW correspondence] with office staff, 1976
- 1.11. [Do It NOW correspondence re:] specific issues, 1976
- 1.12. [Do It NOW] postal correspondence, 1976
- 1.13. [Do It NOW] monthly [postal] forms, 1976-1977
- 1.14. [Do It NOW] Publications Committee correspondence, 1976
- 1.15. [Do It NOW] publication committee reports, 1976
- 1.16. [Do It NOW], 1976-1977
- 1.17. [Do It NOW] advertising leads, 1976-1977
- 2.1-2.2. [Do It NOW] correspondence, 1976-1977
- 2.3. [Do It NOW advertisement] invoices paid, 1976-1977
- 2.4. [Do It NOW] requests for sales kits, 1976-1977
- 2.5. [Do It NOW] writers, 1976-1977
- 2.6. [Do It NOW advertisements], September 1977
- 2.7. [Do It NOW] photographers, 1977
- 2.8-2.9. National NOW Times advertisements, 1977-1978
- Series II. NOW BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- 2.10. Majority Caucus, 1974-1975
- 2.11. [NOW National Board] Alice Doesn't [strike], 1975
- 2.12. [NOW National] correspondence, 1975-1976
- 3.1. [NOW National Board meeting] Kansas City, July 1975
- 3.2. [NOW National] Board meeting, Philadelphia, October 1975
- 3.3. [NOW National] Board meeting, San Diego, December 1975
- 3.4. [NOW National] Board meeting, Phoenix, January 1976
- 3.5. [NOW National] Board meeting, Washington, D.C., April 1976
- 3.6. [NOW National] Board meeting, Cleveland, 1976 June
- 3.7. [NOW National] Board meeting, Minneapolis, August 1976
- 3.8. [NOW] National Board meeting, Kansas City, October 1976
- 3.9. [NOW] National Conference, Detroit, 1977
- 3.10. [NOW National] Board organization, 1976
- 3.11. NOW [National, AP] expenses, 1976
- 3.12. [NOW] memos and reports to the National Board, 1976
- 3.13. [NOW] Public Relations Committee [memos, AP member], 1976
- Series III. PHOTOGRAPH
- 3.14. Photograph of anti-abortion protestor, n.d.
FILED WITH PHOTOGRAPHS.
Do it NOW (Chicago, Ill.)
Sex discrimination against women--United States
Women--Legal status, laws, etc.--United States
Women's rights--United States
National Organization for Women
National Organization for Women--Employees
National Organization for Women--Periodicals
NOW Majority Caucus