Agassiz, Elizabeth Cabot Cary, 1822-1907. Papers, 1838-1920: A Finding AidArthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: A-3
Repository: Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute
Creator: ELIZABETH CARY AGASSIZ, 1822-1907
Title: Papers, 1838-1907, 1918-1920
Quantity: 3 boxes, 1 supersize folder
Abstract: Diaries, correspondence, etc., of Elizabeth Cary Agassiz, educator and researcher.
Accession number: 51-79
Gift of the estate of Lucy Paton. Received: November, 1951.
Letters, diaries, 1877-1906, and other
personal papers of Elizabeth Cary Agassiz, wife of Louis Agassiz, President of Radcliffe College,
including family letters of other Cary relatives. These papers were used by Miss Lucy Paton, official
biographer of Mrs. Agassiz, and include additional material acquired about Mrs. Agassiz and
relatives, reviews of the biography, and letters of commendation.
There is related material at the Schlesinger Library; see Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz Papers, 1884-1959 (SC 4)
and and Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz Papers, 1879-1978 (SC 99)
Agassiz, Louis, 1807-1873
Anderson School of Natural History
Education of women
Jewett, Sarah Orne
Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth
Perkins Institute for the Blind
Ravenel Harriot H
Stowe, Harriet Beecher
Voyages and Travels
- Box 1: Diaries, 1877-1880, 1892-1906
- Boxes 2-3: Papers, 1838-1920
1 vol.-18 vol. Diaries, January 1, 1877-February 14,
1880. 1892-December 30, 1906.
1-39. Papers: 1838-1920.
1. Family letters, 1838-1870. 23 items.
2. Family letters, undated. 15 items.
3. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary. Miscellaneous letters, undated.
4. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary. "Beauty and the Beast" a play.
5. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary. Notebook of poems. n.d. MSS.
6. 1840 Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
ALS to Doctor S[amuel] Cabot.
7. 1842 Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Translation of ? with Ellen in 1842.
8. 1847Cary, Thomas
G. Jr. T.c. Diary 1847 about the Theatricals.
9. 1849-1850 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. ALS to Louis Agassiz. 10 items.
10. 1851-1852 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. ALS ...Letters from South Carolina, Washington, New Orleans, etc. 1851/1852. 13 items. See digital image.
Pauline Agassiz. ALS to Sarah Cary. 9 items.
12. 1857ca. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
ALS to Mrs. Cary, Sally and Emma. 8 items.
15. 1865/1867 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. ALS ...Letters from Brazil. 21 items. See digital image.
17. 1867/1868 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. ALS ...Letters to Mrs. Cary, Sally and Emma while they were in Europe. See digital image.
18. 1870ca. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
ALS ...Letters from Deerfield, Massachusetts and the White
Mountains, New Hampshire. 6 items. See digital image.
19. 1871-1872 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. ALS ..."Hassler" letters. 27 items.
20. 1873-1876 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. ALS. 4 items.
21. 1873-1875 Papers relating to the
Anderson School of Natural Science at Penikese Island, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts.
22. 1893Eliot, Charles
W. TL to E.C.A.
23. 1894-1895 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. ALS ...Letters from Europe. 50 items.
24.  Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Notebook, draft letters and addresses: Re. Radcliffe College.
25. n.d. Miscellaneous letters to E.C.A. [1890-?] 9 items.
27. 1899-1904 Laporte, M. ALS to
E.C.A. 7 items.
28. 1903 ALS to E.C.A. from the
Swiss relatives of Louis Agassiz. 4 items.
Cecile ALS to E.C.A. 3 items.
30. 1892-1907 ALS from grand
31. 1893-1904 Papers relating to the
Perkins Institute - Kindergarten for the Blind.
32. n.d. Papers relating to Louis Agassiz.
33. 1907 Papers relating to Louis
Agassiz's centennial appreciation of his life and work.
35. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary. MSS on the Cary family; also
miscellaneous letters connected with the Cary and Perkins families.
36. P1 Miscellaneous material acquired by Miss Paton. 1907-1921.
37. P2 Letters of appreciation to Miss Paton for her
38. P3 Book reviews of Biography of Mrs. Agassiz.
39. S1 Sand, George. Letters to Mme. Th. Blanc. p.79-94.
Supersize piece filed in mapcase: A tribute to Mrs. Louis
Agassiz for her exhibit "Lessons in Natural History" at the World's Columbian