Gardner family. Papers, 1826-1880: A Finding AidArthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© 2002 President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: A-70/M-59
Note: CLOSED. USE MICROFILM. REQUEST AS: M-59
Repository: Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute
Creator: GARDINER FAMILY
Title: Papers, 1826-1880
Quantity: 4 file boxes,
incl. 3 vol.
Abstract: Correspondence, travel journals, and scrapbooks of the William H. Gardiner family of
Accession numbers: 58-57, 59-59
Gift of Sister Geraldine Mary, O.S.A., Denver, Colorado. Received
Sept. 1958, May 1959
Notes: This gift was received from Sister Geraldine Mary [Cabot].
Mrs. William N. Davis was her great aunt. Mrs. Davis was also a cousin of Elizabeth Cary
Agassiz. Sister Geraldine is the daughter of Mrs. William Cabot, nee Mary Caroline
Gardiner. Mr. William Nye Davis, a graduate of Harvard College, came from Salem.
Access. Unrestricted. Originals are closed; use microfilm M-59.
The inter-relations and activities of a large and prominent Boston family are
well illustrated in the letters of the William H. Gardiner family. Included are letters from the Perkins, Cary, Agassiz and Cushing branches of the family. Most of the letters
written between 1850-1870 are full of family gossip and travel news.
There is a large body of letters from Mary Gardiner Davis to her parents, William H. and
Caroline Perkins Gardiner from 1853-1863; her travel journals and scrapbooks, also her unpublished writings, including a tale of New
England life in the 19th century.
1. Boston - Social life and customs
3. Agassiz, Louis
i. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary
ii. Cary, Emma F
iii. Cary family
iv. Davis, Mary Gardiner
v. Davis, William Nye
vi. Gardiner, Caroline Perkins
vii. Gardiner, William H.
viii. Gardiner, John S
ix. Gardiner, Louisa
x. Gardiner, Sophie
xi. Perkins, Sallie (Mrs.
1. Memo to the will
of Perkins 4p. nd.
2. Elizabeth Cary Agassiz: 12 letters to Uncle William
(William H. Gardiner) 1856, 1867-1880
3. Louis Agassiz: 1 letter to William H. Gardiner, 1867.
4. Anne M. C. : 1 letter to Mrs. William H. Gardiner. nd.
5. Emma F. Cary: 11 letters to Louisa Gardiner,
1852-1880, many no date.
6. Emma F. Cary: "Memories, Old Temple Place"
7. Mary Perkins (Mrs. T. G.) Cary: 3 Letters to Wm. H. Gardiner, 3 Letters to Mrs. Wm. H. Gardiner (Caroline) 1860,1870
8. Nancy Perkins (Mrs. William F.) Cary: 1 letter to Louisa Gardiner. nd.
9. Nancy Perkins (Mrs. William F.) Cary: 4 letters to
Caroline and 4 letters to Wm. Gardiner 1860's
10. Sarah P. Cary: 2 letters to
Uncle William (Wm. H. Gardiner) 1869.
11 Sarah P. Cary: 1 letter to Mary Gardiner (note
accompanying wedding present)? 1856 ?
12. Thomas G. Cary: 3 letters to William H. Gardiner, 1838-1839
13. Thomas G. Cary Jr.: 5
letters to Uncle William (Wm. H. Gardiner) 1872-1874 re Agassiz Museum, etc.
14. William F. Cary: 2 telegrams to Wm. H. Gardiner 1
telegram to C. G. Ripley. 1851
15. Tom F. Cushing: 1 letter to
Aunt Caroline (Mrs. Wm. H. Gardiner) 1860
16. H. T. Davis: 1 letter to Wm.
H. Gardiner, 1867 1 letter to Mary nd.
18. Caroline Perkins Gardiner (Mrs. Wm. H. Gardiner): 1
letter to Charlie, (Charles Perkins Gardiner) 1850's
19. Caroline Perkins Gardiner (Mrs. Wm.H.Gardiner): 6
letters to Mary, (Mary Gardiner Davis) 1862-1863.
20. To Caroline Perkins Gardiner (Mrs. Wm. H. Gardiner)
From: Elizabeth[Gardiner to Caroline, Sallie J. C. to Aunt Caroline, E. Dexter to Caroline 2 notes, E. M. Perkins to Caroline
L. Van De Wegen to Mrs. Gardiner, Madge to Caroline
21 TO Charles P. Gardiner from E F G. (Amy) 7 letters,
22 Edward Gardiner. 2 letters to
Charlie (Charles P. Gardiner). 1855, 1858.
23. John S. Gardiner: 2 letters to Carl Rufus (brother Charles) nd.
24. John S. Gardiner: 5 letters to Father and Mother.
(Wm. H. Gardiner), 1853-1854
25. John S. Gardiner: 21 letters to Mary (Mary Gardiner
26. John S. Gardiner: 1 letter to Louigi
(Louisa Gardiner) 1859.
27. John S. Gardiner: "Le Guide Diplomatique.." 33p.
MS Paris & Leipsig,1851
28. ?[John H. Gardiner] "Answer to W--- First principles
of government." incomplete. nd.
29. Louisa Gardiner: 1 letter to Mary (Mary Gardiner
30. Louisa Gardiner: 1 letter to Charley (Charles P.
31. TO Louisa Gardiner: 1 letter from Ruth
Vose nd. 1 Letter to Jennie Reynolds. nd.
32. Louisa Gardiner: School notes and literary extracts. 1850 - 1853, 1864. loose notes, also 2. v.
33. Minette de Lingneux (Mrs. John S.)
Gardiner) 3 letters to Wm. H. Gardiner, 1 letter to Mrs. Gardiner, 1 letter to Mary 1860
34. Sophie H. Gardiner: 2 letters to Mary Gardiner Davis.
35. Sophie H. Gardiner: (Mrs. Edward Gardiner): 14
letters to Mrs. Wm. H. Gardiner, 1859-1860
36. Sophie H. Gardiner: 3 letters to Wm. H. Gardiner. 1860
37. William H. Gardiner: To J. Cushing. 1851-1852 re Elizabeth Gardiner's estate
38. William H. Gardiner: 1 letter to William N. Davis. 1862.
39. William H. Gardiner: 1 letter to Charles P. Gardiner. 1864.
40. William H. Gardiner: 1 letter to Minette, after John's
41. William H. Gardiner - Henrietta
Thorndike. 1859. business correspondence.
42 Glidden family - 3 notes, nd, 1862, 1884.
43. M. Magee & M.M. Phillips: 6 letters to Sally Perkins, 1826-, 1 letter to Mrs. Thomas H. Perkins 1826-1843
44. Edward N. Perkins: 1 letter
to Wm. H. Gardiner, 1860.
45. Mary S[arah] P[erkins]: 1 letter to Louisa Gardiner.
46. William H. Prescott: 1 note
to Mary G. Davis, 1853?
47. Elizabeth Sewall & Ellen Mary Sewall: 2 letters to Louisa Gardiner 1 letter Louisa to Miss
48. Pauline Agassiz Shaw (Mrs. Qunicy
Shaw): 2 notes to Wm. H. Gardiner. 1870
49. E. A. Wadsworth: 2 letters
to Mary G. Davis. 1862, 1863.
50. - Vol. 2 MARY GARDINER DAVIS: (Mrs. William
50. MGD: 4 letters to Carl
Rufus ( brother Charles) nd.
51. MGD: 6 letters to Charles P. Gardiner. nd. (1860's)
52. MGD: 3 letter to John S. Gardiner. 1863?
53. MGD: 9 letters to Mother & Father (Mrs. & Mr. Wm.
H. Gardiner) 1853-1858.
54. MGD: 30 letters to Mother & Father (Mrs. & Mr.
Wm. H. Gardiner) 1859.
55. MGD: 34 letters to Mother & Father (Mrs. & Mr.
Wm. H. Gardiner) 1860.
56. TO MGD. Lucretia W. Revere 1 letter to MGD. 1862, Mimi (Mrs. T. Lyman) 3 letters to
MGD. 1862-1863, Mary Lyman 1 letter to MGD. nd., Fanny 1 letter from
57. Mrs. Davis: 1 letter to William N. Davis, signed
58. William N. Davis: 16 letters to Wm. H. Gardiner. 1860.
59. Letters of condolence to William Nye Davis on the
death of his wife, Mary Gardiner Davis, on Feb. 4 at Nice. 1863.
60. Bills, etc. re illness and death of Mary G. Davis. 1863.
61. MGD: Inventories, accounts,etc.: 1. Linen book.
1856; 2. List of Brookline articles, 1854; 3. Account books -Servants - 1845-1859; 4. Personal
63. MGD: Thoughts for life, 1850-1856
64. MGD: Common Place Book. 1858-
66. MGD: [Clifton Manor] an untitled story.
67. MGD: Eulalie de Pontoris; a historette without a
moral, or Half the life of a woman of impulse. 114 p. incomplete.
68. MGD: Long Meadow Farm; a tale of New England
life in the 19th century. 556 un'd p. in 30 sections.
69. MGD: Naples story nd.
70. MGD: Nathalie or the would-be actress. A
vaudeville in two acts. Written for Christmas Evening of 1854. (in notebook)
71. MGD: Volume of poems, 1852-1854. (in black lea. notebook.)
Vol. 1 MGD: Scrapbook, 1853. Mounted leaves collected on her travels. ? handwriting, is it Wm.
Vol. 2 MGD: Scrapbook, 1861-1862. Travels in Nassau 1861, and Europe1861-1862.
Includes 50 photographs.
72: Gardiner family PHOTOGRAPHS: Louisa Gardiner, Mr. & Mrs. William Nye Davis, Prof. Louis Agassiz (3),
Elizabeth Cary Agassiz, 3 unidentified.
73: Gardiner family: Miscellany - 12 items, incl.
unidentified letters, etc. and Farmer's Almanak, 1841
Vol. 3 Unidentified Commonplace book, also contains
french lessons of MGD.