Almy family. Papers, 1649-1967 (inclusive), 1835-1967 (bulk): A Finding Aid. Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
© 1976 Radcliffe College
Call No.: MC 235
Repository: Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute
Creator: ALMY FAMILY
Title: Papers, 1649-1967 (inclusive), 1835-1967 (bulk)
Quantity: 1.46 linear ft. (3-1/2
file boxes, folio+ folder folio folder)
Abstract: Correspondence of the Almy, Cabot, and Jackson families from New England.
Processed: November 1976 By: Linda J. Henry
Accession numbers: 69-2, 70-63, 72-60, 76-349
The papers of the Almy Family were deposited with the Schlesinger Library in 1969, 1970,
1972 and 1976 by Helen Jackson Almy, Elizabeth (Almy)
Cobb Hall and Anna Cabot (Almy) Bidwell.
Processed under NEH Grant Number RC 24669-76-987.
This collection centers on Helen Jackson (Cabot) Almy (1856-1938), her parents and her children,
and thus includes substantial material on the Cabot and Jackson families as well as the Almy
family (see genealogies on pp. 4-6, folder 1 and oversize folder). The papers
are mainly family correspondence between members of these three New England families and from other relatives and friends.
HJCA was the daughter of the physician, Samuel Cabot
(1815-1885), and Hannah Lowell (Jackson) Cabot (1820-1879). Correspondence between them,
and with their children, is included here, as well as Hannah's diaries and numerous letters
(1835-1839, 1844) from Hannah to her sister, Sarah (Jackson) Russell.
Dr. Samuel Cabot's letters are mainly about family matters, with some
references to the Civil War. His other papers include a typed essay (quoting
many letters to him) about admitting women to the Massachusetts Medical Society. Hannah's letters and diaries describe her daily activities and include references to Dr. William Ellery Channing and other well-known Bostonians of the
1830's and 1840's.
HJCA's papers include two diaries (1877-1878, 1880-1881) and
correspondence. The papers of mother and daughter thus document the social network and
activities of upper-class Boston families in two different time periods. The bulk of HJCA's
correspondence consists of letters to her from family and friends; letters by her are mainly to her
daughter, Mary. Her work for the establishment of playgrounds and vacation schools in Cambridge is documented in
the Helen Jackson (Cabot) Almy Papers in the Schlesinger Library (A-84). A few papers of
HJCA's sister, Lilla, and brothers--Samuel, Arthur Tracy, James Jackson, Guy Chilton, and
Godfrey Lowell--are included, most of them letters to HJCA.
HJCA's husband, Charles Almy (1851-1934), justice of the third district court of eastern Middlesex county for almost
thirty years, is represented here by letters, most of them to his daughter, Mary, and by a few
articles by him and many newsclippings about him.
Papers of HJCA's children include letters from them to her, but a larger part of their
correspondence consists of letters from other Almy children to the eldest, Mary
Almy (1883-1967), a Boston architect. Papers by Mary are
mainly her travel diaries(1909 and 1924).
Records of her architectural career are not included here, but are to be housed at the Historical Collections at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Helen Jackson Almy (1884-1976) was the first Chief of the Social Work
Section of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Although
that part of her career is not represented here, four folders of her letters (typescript carbon copies)
to her family do provide substantial information on her service with the Harvard Medical Unit in
France during World War I.
Papers of the other Almy children--Anna, Charles, Jr., Elizabeth and Samuel Cabot--include
letters to Mary, a few to their parents and some about the death of their parents. Most of
Samuel's letters were written from France during World War I..
The Almy family received letters from many well-known Bostonians of the later 19th
century, among them: Elizabeth Cary Agassiz, Charles W. Eliot, Ellen Tucker Emerson and
Ralph Waldo Emerson. (See index of correspondents, pp. 12-15, for a complete listing.)
The nine folders of photographs are mostly of Almy family members but also include photographs of Radcliffe classmates (1905)
of Helen and Mary Almy and many photographs related to the Harvard Medical Unit in World
There are additional Almy Family papers at the Schlesinger Library; see 86-M238--87-M16
. Related manuscript collections in the library include: Helen Jackson Cabot
, Hugh Cabot Family (A-99)
, Ella Lyman
, among others.
(a card for each of the following
appears in the card catalogue)
Agassiz, Elizabeth Cabot (Cary), 1822-1907
Almy, Helen Jackson (Cabot), 1856-1938
Almy, Helen Jackson,, 1884-1976
Almy, Mary, 1883-1967
Cabot, Hannah Lowell (Jackson),
Cabot, Samuel, 1815-1885
James Freeman, 1810-1888
Eliot, Charles William, 1834-1926
Emerson, Ellen Tucker, 1839-1909
Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882
Howells, William Dean, 1837-1920
Longfellow, Alice Mary,
Lowell, Josephine (Shaw), 1843-1905
Boston--Social life and customs
Channing, William Ellery, 1780-1842
European War, 1914-1918--Harvard Medical
European War, 1914-1918--Nurses and nursing
Jackson, Patrick Tracy, 1780-1847
Venezuela--Political activity--19th century
- Box 1: Folders 1-23v
- Box 2: Folders 24-49
- Box 3: Folders 50-72
- Box 4: Folders 73-82
1. Genealogical charts,
notes, etc. re Almy, Cabot and Jackson families; correspondence (3 letters) with Charles Almy,
1933, re: Indenture in folio+ folder.
2. PATRICK TRACY JACKSON 1780-1847: "Notes on the life and character of the late P. T. Jackson, Esq.," ms. essay, no author, n.d.
3. SAMUEL CABOT 1784-1863:
TL cc., Samuel Cabot to C. Bradford, April 3, 1854.
4-7: SAMUEL CABOT 1815-1885
4. 15 ALS to Hannah Lowell (Jackson) Cabot, 1846-1849.
5. 10 ALS to HLJC, 1851-1858, n.d.
6. 4 ALS to Helen Jackson Cabot (later Almy), 1869, 1871, n.d.; ALS to Arthur Tracy Cabot,1877.
7. Newsclipping with printed letter by SC, 1850; notes about SC (by daughters Lilla and Helen?), n.d.; ALS, Sarah P.
Cleveland to Elizabeth (Mason) Cabot re: SC death, 1885?; ts. essay, "Some Letters to Dr. Samuel Cabot concerning the
Question of Admitting Women to the Massachusetts Medical Society," no author, n.d.
8-17: HANNAH LOWELL (JACKSON) CABOT
8. Diary, ts. cc., by HLJC, 1839-1842, and ms. note (for diary?), 1840; Includes references to Dr. William Ellery Channing.
9. 7 ALS to Lydia (Cabot) Jackson,1836-1839, with transcriptions, ts. cc.
10. 25 ALS to Sarah (Jackson) Russell, 1835-1839. 2 letters include letters from Patrick Tracy
Jackson (brother) and "Cate" (Katherine Jackson)to SJR.
11. Transcriptions, ts. cc., of letters in folder 10.
13. 20 ALS to Samuel Cabot, 1862-1863, 1877, n.d. 2 letters also include letters from sons Arthur and James to SC.
14. ALS to "My dear children," 1875; ALS to Helen Jackson Cabot (later Almy), n.d.
15. Note to HLJC from "M.E.D." 1849; ALS to "Edie" from [Ellen T. Emerson] re HLJC, 1873; ALS
to Mary A. Bigelow,1862.
16. Booklet of newsclippings mainly re Civil War, some
dated 1861, most n.d. Collected by HLJC?
17. Sales bills for household furnishings for SC and HLJC, 1844.
Series: CHILDREN OF SAMUEL CABOT AND HANNAH LOWELL (JACKSON)
18. LILLA (CABOT)
PERRY1848-1933: 3 ALS to Helen Jackson (Cabot) Almy, 1899, 1916, n.d.; postcard of painting by LCP,
n.d.; article re LCP, 1923.
19. SAMUEL CABOT1850-1906: 2 ALS and 2 ms. poems to Helen
Jackson Cabot Almy, 1906, n.d.; ALS to SC from?, 1885; memorial re SC to Helen (Nichols) Cabot from People's Club of Lowell,1906; articles re SC, 1906?
20. ARTHUR TRACY CABOT
1852-1912: ALS to father, 1885; 13 ALS to HJCA, 1883-1911, n.d. (scattered); TL, cc, ? to Eleanor Bradley re ATC, n.d.;
ALS, Sarah Forbes to ATC, 1885; article by
ATC, 1912; article re ATC, 1912.
21. JAMES JACKSON CABOT
1854-1875; GUY CHILTON CABOT 1859-1927; GODFREY LOWELL CABOT, 1861-?: ALS, JJC to HJCA, n.d.; ALS, JJC to
"Dick," n.d.; article re JJC, 1877; postcard, GCC to HJCA, 1909; TLS, GLC to Charles Almy, 1921; TLS, GLC to HJCA, 1927; correspondence (2 photocopies) GLC and Dwight D.
HELEN JACKSON (CABOT) ALMY 1856-1938
22-29: papers by HJCA
22. Diary, 1877-1878; ALS to Charles Almy, 1879.
24. 13 ALS to Mary Almy, 1901-1908 (scattered).
25. 10 ALS to Mary Almy, 1909.
26. 7 ALS and poem (?) to Mary Almy, 1910-1920 (scattered).
27. 3 ALS to children, 1902, 1909, 1912; "Memoranda," 1926; ALS to Helen Jackson Almy, 1934?, with notes re Charles Almy.
28. Ts. cc. letters to the editor by HJCA re: philanthropy, with 2 letters from others and newsclipping, 1921;Rindge School,1932; discovery of ether, n.d.; Nahant sea serpent, with letter to HJCA and
29. Speeches by HJCA re:
training of children, c. 1905; beginnings of Cambridge School, n.d.; domestic service of ancestors, n.d.
30-45: correspondence to HJCA from relatives and friends.
30. Almys: ALS, Charles Almy
(father-in-law), 1882; ALS, author unclear, 1891; 2
ALS, grandmother, 1892, 1904; ALS, Helen Wayne Almy,1901; ALS, mother, 1903; ALS from
several, 1906; postcard, Francis Almy,1923. Folder also includes newsclippings re Mary A. Almy death, 1910, and Francis Almy
31. Cabots: ALS, Elizabeth (Perkins) Cabot, 1882; ALS, Edward Clarke Cabot,1882; ALS, Elizabeth (Cabot) Lee,1882; 3 ALS, Elizabeth (Mason) Cabot,1877, 1882,
1904; ALS, James Elliot Cabot,1885;
ALS, Richard Clarke Cabot, 1931.
32. Helen (Nichols) Cabot, 10
ALS, 1882-1917 (scattered).
33. Edith [Davidson?], 11 ALS, 1874-1876.
34. Edith (Emerson) Forbes, 3
ALS, 1882, 1902, n.d.
35. Nancy (Cunningham) Howe, 3 ALS, 1888, 1910, 1922.
36. Jacksons: ALS, Ellen Jackson, 1893; 2 ALS, Edward Jackson, n.d.; 3 ALS, Charles
L. Jackson, 1905, 1907, 1911; ALS, Ernest
37. Anna Jackson, 15 ALS, 1875, 1882, 1906-1921 (scattered).
38. James J. Putnam, 4 ALS, 1877, 1885, 1918, n.d.; Marian C. Putnam, 2
ALS, 1885, 1912.
39. Mary Wright, 8 ALS, 1892-1909 (scattered).
40. Nell R. de Ybarra, 21 ALS, 1874-1919 (scattered). Includes references to Venezueleanpolitics.
41. Other relatives and friends, 1878-1887 (scattered).
42. Other relatives and friends, 1895-1915 (scattered), 1925, 1930, n.d.
43. Correspondence re wedding and gifts, 1882-1883. Includes booklet with list of gifts and trousseau
44. Correspondence re Lowell Memorial, 1897-1898, 1905, n.d. Includes announcement of project,
45. Sympathy letters re Charles Almy death, 1934-1935.
46-48: HJCA miscellaneous.
46. Composition book by HJCA, 1870-1871; 2
letters to HJCA re examinations at Harvard,1874-1875 and printed exams, 1870-1874 (see oversize folder for Harvard
certificates); poem sent to HJCA, n.d.; list of drama cast, n.d.
47. Travel expense bill, 1878; dress
bills, 1882; poll tax bill, 1879; certificate, 1926; letter (about HJCA?), 1928; list of furniture,
48. Pamphlet re golden wedding anniversary,1932; newsclipping re both HJCA and Charles Almy, 1933.
49. HJCA obituaries and condolences, 1938.
50-58: CHARLES ALMY 1851-1934
50. TL, 22 ALS to Mary Almy, 1892-1912 (scattered), 1921; ALS to HJCA, 1921;
poem to MA, n.d.
51. 3 letters, CA to others, 1861, 1904, 1928.
52. ALS, Cynthia S. Cummings
to CA, 1882; ms. poem, Francis Almy and Frederic Almy to CA, 1931.
53. 9 letters to CA from others, 1874-1933 (scattered); commendation to CA, 1882.
54. 4 articles by CA, 1886, 1921-1923; 6 letters to CA re articles, 1921-1922; 2 speeches by CA, n.d.
55. Newsclippings re CA, 1872-1934
(scattered), 1941, 1958, n.d. (see also folder 48). Includes rally
announcement, sample ballot, etc. re CA candidacy to the General Court, 1891.
56. Excerpts from sympathy letters re CA, n.d.; program re
CA memorial service, 1935;Almy Memorialtrust declaration, 1935; mimeographed letter re CA
57v. CA book of birth dates (of Almys and Cabots), n.d.
58. CA miscellaneous: sales bill, poetry copied by CA, bookplate, etc., various dates.
Series: CHILDREN OF CHARLES ALMY AND HELEN JACKSON (CABOT)
59v-67: MARY ALMY 1883-1967
diary, May 25 - Aug. 30, 1909.
62. 5 ALS, MA to sisters Elizabeth (Almy)
Cobb and Ann (Almy) Bidwell,1921.
63. 3 ALS to MA from family: grandfather (Almy?), 1884, Stanley Cobb, 1931, and Richard
Clarke Cabot,1938; 6 letters to MA from friends, 1918-1941 (scattered), n.d.
64. ALS, Samuel McChord Crothers to MA, 1912; 2 ALS, Louise Crothers to MA, 1927, 1938; prayer (by SMC?), 1924; booklet of memorial service for SMC, 1927.
65. ALS, John Angel to MA, 1926;Christmas cards, JA to MA, 1952-1958, n.d.; article re JA, 1926.
66. ALS, Margaret [Perry?] to
MA, n.d., with enclosed article re Fort Lowell, Arizona,1963.
67. Newsclipping re MA, 1944;
obituaries, 1967; miscellaneous: passenger lists, certificate, identification
card, etc., various dates.
HELEN JACKSON ALMY 1884-1976
68. 2 ALS and fr. to MA, 1909?, n.d.
69-72: ts. cc. letters (3 originals) from HJA to family
(mainly mother, father and MA) from France.
73. 2 booklets of drawings, photographs, quotes, etc., 1917-1918. Given to HJA by soldiers?
74. Harvard Medical Unit: 3
letters to HJA, newsclipping, appointment form, postcards, etc., 1918-1922 (scattered), n.d.; roster of Harvard Unit B. E. F. Association,1951.
75. ALS, Hugh Cabot to HJA, 1938.
76-77: ANNA CABOT (ALMY) BIDWELL 1886-
76. 5 ALS to
HJCA, ALS to CA, 1909-1915 (scattered).
77. 9 ALS to MA, 1908-1928
78. CHARLES ALMY, JR.
1888-1954: Correspondence to CA re: death of his father, 1934-1935, and
death of mother, 1938; newsclipping re CA, c. 1928;
speech by CA, 1954; memorial and prayer re CA, 1954.
79. ELIZABETH (ALMY) COBB HALL 1892- : ALS to (MA?), 1902; 2 ALS to (MA and HJA?), 1909; ALS to HJCA, 1915.
80-82: SAMUEL CABOT ALMY 1895-?
80. 3 ALS to MA, 1902, 1916, n.d.; ALS to HJCA, 1916; 13 letters. ts.
cc., to family from SCA in France, 1916-1917.
81. 3 letters to several Almy children from Frederic Almy,1909, and others, 1889, 1890.
82. Cabot and Almy families miscellaneous: Ms. and ts.
report re Cherry Hill Tavern, 1928?; pamphlet re
George Lee (1856-1932), 1932?; miscellaneous
cards, quotes, etc., most n.d.
Folio folder: Genealogical chart for Perkins,Sturgis,Forbes,Abbott, and Carey families, c.1860.
Folio+ folder: Indenture from William Almy,1649. See correspondence in
folder 1. 2 certificates for HJCA from Harvard University, 1874, 1875. Appointment certificate as Judge for Charles Almy, 1891.
Passport for HJCA, 1906. Photostat letter to Woodrow
Wilson from British foreign office re Harvard Medical Unit, 1918.
- This index lists writers and
recipients of letters. Information about these individuals is not indexed; nor are subjects. The
numbers are folder numbers.
- Adams, William S. 53
- Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary42,44
- Allen, Mary N. 43
- Allen, T. Prentis51
- Almy, Charles (1819-1886) 30,63?
- Almy, Charles (1851-1934)1,21,22,30,50,51,52,53,54,69,70,71,72,76,80
- Almy, Charles Jr. (1888-1954) 78
- Almy, Francis30,52
- Almy, Frederic30,52,81
- Almy, Helen Jackson (Cabot) 6,14,18,19,20,21,22,24,25,26,27,28,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,50,69,70,71,72,74,76,79,80,81
- Almy, Helen Jackson27,68,69,70,71,72,74,75,79,80,81
- Almy, Helen Wayne30
- Almy, Mary24,25,26,27,50,62,63,64,65,66,68,69,70,71,72,77,79,80,81
- Almy, Mary Ann (Cummings) 30?
- Almy, Samuel Cabot80
- Angel, John65
- Bell, Gordon Knox54
- Bennett, J.41
- Bidwell, Anna Cabot (Almy) 27,62,76,77,79,81
- Bidwell, Percy Wells42
- Bigelow, Mary A. 15
- Bowditch, Alfred41
- Bowditch, Lillie41
- Bowditch, Mary Rice 41,42,43
- Bradford, C. 3
- Bradley, Eleanor20
- Brewster, William42
- Briggs, L.B.R. 58
- Brooks, Helen L. 45
- Cabot, Arthur Tracy6,13,14,20
- Cabot, Edward Clarke31
- Cabot, Elizabeth (Mason) 7,31
- Cabot, Elizabeth (Perkins) 31
- Cabot, Godfrey Lowell21
- Cabot, Guy Chilton21
- Cabot, Hannah Lowell (Jackson) 4,5,9,10,11,12,13,14,15
- Cabot, Helen (Nichols) 19,32
- Cabot, Hugh75
- Cabot, James Elliot31
- Cabot, James Jackson 13,14,21
- Cabot, Richard Clarke31,63
- Cabot, Samuel (1784-1863) 3
- Cabot, Samuel (1815-1885) 4,5,6,7,13,20
- Cabot, Samuel (1850-1906) 19
- Cabot, Samuel (1884-?) 78
- Clarke, James Freeman41,43
- Cleveland, Sarah P. 7
- Cobb, Elizabeth (Almy) 27,62,79,80
- Cobb, Stanley63
- Comstock, A. Barr78
- Coughlan, Jeremiah J. 45
- Cox, Channing H. 53
- Crothers, Louise42,45,64
- Crothers, Samuel McChord 42,64,(photograph, 89)
- Cummings, Cynthia S. 30?,52
- [Davidson?], Edith33
- Davis, Charles Thornton 78
- Dixwell, Eliza B. 43
- Doane, Ralph Harrington78
- Doane, Mrs. Ralph Harrington78
- Drinkwater, Arthur78
- Dunbar, Chris L. 46
- [Edsale?], David L.63
- Eisenhower, Hon. Dwight D. 21
- Eliot, Charles W.28,44,53
- Emerson, Ellen Tucker15,43
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo52,53
- Fiske, John44
- [Fitz, R.N.?] 41
- Forbes, Edith (Emerson)34
- Forbes, Sarah20
- Frankel, Morris B.78
- French, Daniel C. 43,44,53
- Gilder, R.W.44
- Gray, Russell54
- Hale, Ellen45
- Hall, Elizabeth (Almy) Cobb see: Cobb, Elizabeth (Almy)
- Harris, Jonathan N. 78
- Harrison, Constance Cary 44
- Hathaway, Alvan B. 78
- Higginson, George43
- Holmes, Edward Jackson41
- Holt, Robert58
- Howe, Mark Antony De Wolfe 28,45
- Howe, Nancy Cunningham35
- Howells, William Dean44
- Jackson, Anna37
- Jackson, Charles L.36
- Jackson, Edward36
- Jackson, Ellen36
- Jackson, Ernest36
- Jackson, Lydia (Cabot)9
- Jackson, Patrick Tracy (1818-?)10,11
- Jenks, Charles W.54
- Lee, Elizabeth Perkins (Cabot)31
- Lee, Elliot41
- Livingston, Elizabeth58
- Long, Hattie P.41
- Longfellow, Alice44
- Lowell, A. Lawrence45
- Lowell, Josephine Shaw41,43
- Macveagh, Franklin44
- Marsh, John B.45
- Merrill, John D.54
- Morse, Frances42,43
- Morse, Mary Lee43
- Newcomb, Caroline R.42
- Norton, Charles Eliot44
- Nutter, George Read78
- Palmer, Ruth63
- Park, Charles E.78
- Payson, Donald M.78
- Peabody, Francis G.45
- Pear, William H.45
- Pearson, J.C.1
- Perkins, Palfrey78
- Perry, Arthur B.53,78
- Perry, Lilla (Cabot)18
- [Perry?], Margaret66
- Perry, [Thomas Sargent?]42
- Piper, Elizabeth B.45
- Putnam, Augustus L.78
- Putnam, James J. and Marian C.38
- Russell, Helen M.45
- Russell, Richard M.78
- Russell, Sarah (Jackson)10,11,12
- Sanborn, Philip N.63
- Shattuck, Emily G.43
- Shattuck, George O.41
- Sherrill, Henry Knox45
- Sohier, William D.45,78
- Stone, Arthur P.53
- Stone, Katharine (Jackson)10,11
- Storey, Moorfield51
- Taylor, Katharine45
- Twitchell, Roger Thayer78
- Walcott, Hon. Robert58
- Ware, C.E., Jr.41
- Ware, L.K.41
- Warren, W. Bentley45
- Webster, [K.G.L.?]45
- [Wendell?], Lillie P.41
- Whitney, Winnifred45
- Wigglesworth, [Mary?] and George43
- Willard, Joseph53
- [Winson?], Justin81
- Wright, Mary39
- Wyman, Morrill42
- Ybarra, Nell R. de40