Fairservis, Walter A., Jr. (1921-1994) Papers, bulk, 1949-1993:
A Finding Aid
Peabody Museum Archives
Repository: Peabody Museum Archives,
Call No.: 2004.35
Location: Peabody Museum
Title: Fairservis, Walter A., Jr. (1921-1994) Papers,
Date(s): 1949-1993 (bulk)
Creator: Walter A. Fairservis, Jr.
Quantity: 40 linear feet
Abstract: Walter A. Fairservis Jr. was an authority on ancient civilizations, including
Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and China. The papers include expedition records, journals,
manuscript and research materials and correspondence spanning Fairservis' professional
Miller May 2005; edited by India Spartz, Associate Archivist, 2007 and Patricia H. Kervick, Associate Archivist; 2010.
These papers are a gift of Jan Bell Fairservis 2004.
Restrictions on use: None
Walter A. Fairservis Jr.
was an authority on the rise and fall of ancient civilizations, including Afghanistan,
India, and China. Born in Brooklyn in 1921, Fairservis traveled throughout the United
with his mother, an actress. He received B.A. and M.A. degrees in anthropology from
University and a second M.A. and a Ph.D. from Harvard University.
For many years
Fairservis was associated with the American Museum of Natural History in New York
first volunteered in 1941. In 1949 Fairservis led the first American archaeological
Afghanistan where he discovered a long forgotten imperial city. In 1960 Fairservis
expedition to Pakistan and discovered a large ceremonial complex which shed new light
prehistoric Harappan civilization.
Throughout his professional career, Fairservis was
associated with various institutions, including the Peabody Museum (Harvard), the
Museum at the University of Pennsylvania and the Thomas Burke Memorial Washington
Museum in Seattle. In 1969 he accepted the position of department head in anthropology
Vassar College and he taught at Vassar through 1993.
Publications include: The Roots of Ancient India (1969)The Ancient Kingdoms of the
Nile and the Doomed Monuments of Nubia (1962) Cave
Paintings of the Great Hunters (1959) The Harrapan Civilization
and Its Writing: A Model for the Decipherment of the Indus Script (1992) The Archaeology of the Southern Gobi -- Mongolia (1993) Excavations at the Harappan site of Allahdino : the seals and other
inscribed material (1976) South Asian Archaeology Studies (1993)
- "Obituaries: Walter A. Fairservis, 73 Dies; Was Archaeologist and Author." . New
Papers include: class notes, doctoral dissertation files,
expedition records ( field notes, correspondence, reports and photographs), maps,
drawings, financial records, grant applications, manuscripts, drafts, course material,
site cards, illustrations and oversize material.
- #2002.20 Louis Dupree Collection.
Peabody Museum (Harvard).
- Walter A. Fairservis Collection, 1931-1994.
Vassar College Archives and Special Collections.
- Box 1 -- Class notes, doctoral
dissertation /thesis files.
- 1.1 Various biographical information about WAF and different drafts of his curriculum
b/w photos of WAF, press releases and lists of his performance experience.
- 1.2 WAF school notes from a lecture course
entitled Methods and Aims in Archaeology, given by N.C. Debevoise, Spring 1941.
- 1.3 WAF class of research notes on
Senmot (an Egyptian noble), a WAF term paper (?) on Senmot (both handwritten and typed,
not final version?). Winter quarter 1941, for Dr. Olmstead.
- 1.4 WAF transcript from Oregon State College/War
Department for 1943-44; and brochures from the College, specifically a catalog of
William Henry Price and the Charter Day Convocation, 1943. (de-accessioned to Vassar
- 1.5 WAF clippings
and brochure regarding track meets during his army days, 1946 (de-accessioned to Vassar
- 1.6 WAF
mementoes from a trip to Nebraska 1942-43 (de-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07).
- 1.7 WAF class notebooks:
something Asian, and Middle and South American archaeology (de-accessioned to Vassar
- 1.8 WAF
class notes from physical anthropology classes.
- 1.9 WAF class notebooks: Soc. Rel. 161 [something about ritual?],
Anthro. 206 (with Dr. Kidder, 1949), [social anthro, of tribes?], and Anthro. 102b
1949, on the skeleton.
- 1.10 WAF notebooks (handwritten) from various graduate classes.
- 1.11 WAF notebooks (handwritten) from
various graduate classes.
- 1.12 WAF notebooks (handwritten) from classes?
- 1.13 WAF notebooks from a graduate course at Harvard: Anthro.
135, Old World Paleolithic Cultures with Prof. H. Movius, spring term 1949.
- 1.14 WAF class paper for Semitic
- 1.15 WAF
class paper for Anthropology 104a (with H. Hencken).
- 1.16 WAF miscellaneous class notes
- 1.17 WAF class notes from 1943, course with Dr.
- 1.18 WAF class
notes, 1948, Anthropology 13, Technology.
- 1.19 WAF class notes, Roman Art and Empire; and a research paper.
- 1.20 WAF class notes,
- 1.21 WAF
Ph.D. Thesis outline, various drafts, no dates. Also, Application for the Doctoral
Topic (essay, not earlier than 1951).
- 1.22 WAF proposal to The Viking Fund, Inc. for a grant, Archeological
exploration of Northern Afghanistan (Afghani Turkestan), 1949. File includes correspondence,
handwritten early version of WAF cv, but no copy of the proposal.
- 1.23 WAF Ph.D. Thesis. 1958? Possibly an early
draft, pages 35-108 plus Appendix 1 and 2, pp. 242-276. The appendices discuss pottery
- 1.24WAF Ph.D. Thesis,
1958, The Comparative Stratigraphy of the Indo-Iranian Borderlands: Early Periods. Text only, no plates, and missing pages 35-108.
- 1.25 Captions for WAF's Ph.D. dissertation illustrations
- Box 2: First Afghan
Expedition; Second Afghan Expedition
- 2.1 WAF ms, early draft of Archaeological Studies in the Seistan Basin;
- 2.2 Maps and sections of WAF's Seistan Survey (1949-50).
- 2.3 Geographical survey journal of the Helmand area, from the
First Afghan Expedition, 1949. [Not WAF handwriting.]
- 2.4 WAF's hardbound, handwritten journal of the First Afghan
Expedition, July-October 1949. Also some loose note book pages and notes.
- 2.5Varia relating to the 1st Afghan Expedition
1949-1950: list of financial sponsors, vocabulary words (A through D only), and some
- 2.6 Drawings and
notes regarding the ceramic sherds found during the Seistan Survey (1949-50).
- 2.7 Notes regarding the ceramic sherds
found during the survey of the Kandahar region, Afghanistan, by the First Afghan Expedition
team members. [These notes are not in AF's handwriting.]
- 2.8 Drawings and notes on the sherds from the site of
Peshawarun, discovered during the First Afghan Expedition, 1949-50.
- 2.9B/W photographs of sherds from Seistan
published in Fairservis 1961 Archaeological Studies in the Seistan Basin.
- 2.10 B/W photographs of sherds, used by
WAF in the Seistan volume (1961). Many of the sherds in the design catalog of the
appear to have been drawn from the photos in this file.
- 2.11 Black-and-white photos of Afghanistan, 1949:
Independence Day in Kabul, and Ghazni.
- 2.12 B/w images of sherds, painted designs and small finds, from the Seistan
- 2.13Topographic maps of Seistan and captions for the plates in the Seistan report (WAF
- 2.14B/w prints of various
places in Afghanistan. Also, a few b/w negative prints of Afghanistan taken from
- 2.15Varia from the 1st and
2nd Afghan Expeditions: newspaper clippings about finding a lost city in Afghanistan
(Peshawarun); various correspondence regarding the 1st Afghan Expedition (1949-1950);
two press releases about the findings of the 1st Afghan Expedition. In addition,
the file contains
a brief introduction of WAF, given at the Museum Contributors' Luncheon, Feb. 1952;
programme of the Quetta Race Club, 1950; and ethnographic notes of the villages near
Quetta sites found during the 2nd Afghan Expedition.
- 2.16 WAF Second Afghan Expedition (1950-1951): project
prospectus, reports from the field, and final reports.
- 2.17 WAF field journal from Lorelai survey. Notes on sites L-1,
L-2, L-3, L-4 (Sur Jangal), L-5, L-6, L-7, L-8, L-9 (Dabar-Kot), L-10, L-11, L-12
- 2.18 WAF's
hardbound, handwritten journal of the Second Afghan Expedition, Baluchistan Survey,
- 2.19 WAF's hardbound,
handwritten journal of the Seistan Survey, 1951 (Second Afghan Expedition). Also,
a b/w photo
of a woman, short photo list, and a plan of copper and bone fragments at site GR-1.
- 2.20 Leslie Alcock's excavation notes
of Damb Sadaat III, Quetta Valley. Includes small finds list and notes about the
- 2.21Final report of
the Second Afghan Expedition (summarizes the various contributions). Also, a handwritten
of objects (small finds) brought back to AMNH by the expedition
- 2.22 Various lists relating to the Second Afghan
Expedition: catalog numbers for materials from the Loralai and Zhob collections; site
list of all
areas with notations as to what was collected, where it was stored, or if no collection
site list with corresponding catalog numbers for the Kandahar area; misc. excavation
Khr-3 and lists of sites/catalog numbers of the Afghani sites; catalog number list
for site Q-8;
cabinet survey; unpacking list of the trunks sent back to AMNH; notes on site L-4
(Sur Jangal); a
design catalog (design numbers, the type, the field number and the level [used by
WAF in the
1959 publication]); catalog numbers list for Deh Morai.
- 2.23 Second Afghan Expedition, receipts. File 1 of 2.
- 2.24Second Afghan
Expedition, receipts, accounts. File 2 of 2.
- 2.25Second Afghan Expedition, WAF's account book, along with
miscellaneous language notes.
- 2.26 Report and correspondence regarding the Botanical Specimens from the Second
Afghan Expedition, 1950-1954.
- 2.27WAF notes, lists, write-up, and correspondence, regarding 14C samples and test
results from charcoal collected during the Second Afghan Expedition.
- 2.28Correspondence (1950-52) regarding shipping
of material, permissions to export, from the 2nd Afghan expedition. . Copies of
two letters from
R.E.M. Wheeler regarding permission for the 2nd Afghan Expedition (1950). Other
correspondents: Shamsud din Ahmad Kahn (Director General, Department of Archaeology,
Government of Pakistan); WAF; Thomas Cook and Son, Ltd.; U.S. Embassy, Karachi and
U.S. Department of State. Also, some notes regarding the illnesses of some expedition
- 2.29Notebook from the 2nd Afghan Expedition 1950-1951: drafts of letters, notes on rabies,
lists some relating to the sites and finds, drawings for a lab layout, some chronological
of division of Afghani materials.
- Box 3:
Second Afghan Expedition continued.
- 3.1Sections, map, pottery motifs from 2nd Afghan survey, site KHR-5 and others in
- 3.2 WAF data
notebook with photos and ssections of the Zhob-Loralai pottery (mock up for publication?).
- 3.3 Mounted, labeled
photos of sherds from Zhob-Loralai survey.
- 3.4Lists of sherds with fabric and basketry impressions found in the
- 3.5 Drawings, lists, tally sheets of ceramics, figurines and small finds from the Zhob-Loralai
- 3.6 Various data from the
Zhob Loralai survey: details of the Sur Jangal excavation; tally sheets for some of
types; rim and base drawings of ceramics from different sites.
- 3.7Loralai-Zhob pottery; photostats of plates used in the
- 3.8 Photostats of the plans and sections (in their final formats) of the Loralai Valley
- 3.9B/w prints of pottery
and other finds from the site of Dam Sadaat.
- 3.10 Miscellaneous stone artifacts from the site of Sur Jangal (Zhob/Loralai);
photostat of published plate (figure 11, WAF 1959).
- 3.11For the Quetta Report (1956), pottery drawings (shapes) and
design notes. All in pencil.
- 3.12 Notes on modern pottery purchased in the bazaar in Quetta in 1951. File includes
original handwritten notes and two typed copies.
- 3.13 Tabulation of potters marks on Quetta pottery.
- 3.14 Data tabulations of pottery types from
- 3.15 Tally sheets for
Quetta survey faunal remains. File 1 of 2.
- 3.16 Tally sheets for Quetta survey faunal remains. File 2 of 2.
- 3.17 Correspondence regarding equus
and bird bones collected by the Second Afghan Expedition, 1953.
- 3.18 Typewritten manuscript by L. Dupree, his report on
the excavations at Deh Morasi Ghundai. His excavation was conducted under the auspices
Second Afghan Expedition. Later published as Deh Morasi Ghundai: A Chalcolithic Site
South-Central Afghanistan, by L. Dupree, Anthropological Papers of the American Museum
Natural History, vol. 50, part 2, 1963.
- 3.19 List of human skeleton material from Baluchistan and Afghanistan.
- 3.20 Four field books with
notes about the sites of Mian Ghundai (by Stoudt) and KHR-10.
- 3.21 Four notebooks (some with field notes) from WAF's
1950-51 survey: "Afghan Turkestan, Kandahar and Bampur", includes a few site notations,
drawn maps, area/site descriptions; one notebook with out a cover, list of levels
forward), section drawings, hand drawn maps and notes; the pottery statistics for
Q-14; list of
potter's marks (inscribed sherds).
- 3.22 Quetta Survey, 1950-51, data from sites Q13, Q14: sections, plans and counts.
- 3.23Quetta Survey,
1950-51,b/w photos of metal arrowheads, ceramic sherds (no site labels). Three photos
photos and a pencil line drawing of the coins found during the 1950-51 survey.
- 3.25 Misc. drawings of painted sherds
from Quetta and Zhob-Loralai; one bxw photo of small find.
- Box 4: Dupree's Shamshir Ghar, WAF's 1959-1960 Expedition
- 4.1 B/w photos, mounted, from Louis
Dupree's Ph.D. thesis, Shamshir Ghar: Historic Cave Site in Kandahar Province (Afghanistan).
Dept. Anthropology, Harvard University, 1954. [Excavated under WAF project]
- 4.2 Faunal list (of identified bone) and
list of excavation units from Shamshir Ghar, Afghanistan.
- 4.3 "Journey to India, An Archaeological Prospectus", by WAF,
Spring 1956. Draft of a brochure that outlines the research and describes 5 projects
completed, some in process, some in planning), in need of funding.
- 4.4 Prospectus for a Coordinated Field Program in
Prehistoric Anthropology in West Pakistan, by WAF, along with correspondence (1956-1959)
regarding funding and grant information. Also in the file WAF proposal Journey to
Archaeological Prospectus (another copy in file 13.4).
- 4.5 WAF's hardbound, handwritten journal of the 1959-60 Indus
Expedition, volume 1, from New York, to USSR, Egypt, and then to Karachi (Sindh sites)
Las Bela. Loose papers in the back: a few ceramic types from Soviet Asia, note cards,
pages of a handwritten manuscript (pages 79-81); record of payment to laborers in
- 4.6 WAF's
hardbound, handwritten journal of the 1959-60 Indus Expedition, volume 2: survey along
Hab, Las Bela valley, and some sites in Sindh.
Four notebooks: relating to the 1959-60 survey, some site notes (Hab-1
and Hab-2, a photo list (rolls 19-21?) and on the reverse side of the notebook, outline/notes
regarding social structure; a field book from WAF's 1961-62 trip to India and Pakistan
(conference notes, some pottery drawings and observations, site list); and 2 notebooks
Las Bela 1959-60 which contain mainly photo lists and some hand drawn site maps and
descriptions. Second notebook has "general notes".
- 4.8 Four notebooks: first with a few notes/maps about the Malir
sites, as well as some pottery drawings and descriptions, as well as a long site list
types (not all WAF survey, possibly from studying collections?); second notebook
Pictoglyphs and lists various motifs, as well as a Indus sign list and the excavation
Q-13; the third notebook is labeled Sind (in pen) and includes a photo list, maps,
and notes from a potter's shop (from 1959-60?); fourth notebook has a few odd pages
- 4.9 Six notebooks
with misc notations (not field related): outline for a report on the Sindh life ways?;
Henry Field's sites in Makran and Kalat (Peabody's collection); review in outline
form of WAF's
1949-51 work; notes about ceramic types, chronological tables and some notes from
regarding ceramics; a chart about the origin of the Kulli, misc notes about Bakun,
notes about the
climate in Quetta; notes about Khandahar and various Afghan culture periods.
- 4.10 Indus Expedition of 1959-60,
various items: accounts book, a few miscellaneous tags, a blank site recording form,
excavation notes/drawings (in pencil) of site Q13.
- 4.11Documents relating to the 1959-60 survey in Baluchistan:
WAF's international driver's license and insurance forms; copy of survey permit; copies
correspondence between the American Embassy, Karachi, and the Ministry of Foreign
and Commonwealth Relations, Karachi regarding securing permission for WAF's project;
essay by WAF about the site of Edith Shahr in Las Bela (early and final drafts)
- 4.12 Handwritten manuscript by WAF
on 1959-60 survey of Las Bela and Sindh. Typewritten version of this is located in
4.13 WAF ms, Archaeological Surveys in Las Bela and Sind, West Pakistan [results of
1959-60 survey] (n.d.). Handwritten version can be found in file 10.30.
- 4.13WAF ms, Archaeological Surveys in Las Bela
and Sind, West Pakistan [results of the 1959-60 survey] (n.d.). Handwritten version
found in file 10.30.
- 4.14Site cards and expedition drawings of the sites surveyed by WAF in 1959-1960 expedition
Bela and Sindh.
to Sindh and Las Bela (1959-60); WAF's ceramic drawings and types.
- 4.16 Correspondence regarding permission for the
- 4.17WAF notes, drafts, correspondence (1958-1960) relating to an NSF proposal for fieldwork
notes, drafts, correspondence (1958-1960) relating to an application to the American
Learned Societies for fieldwork during 1959-60.
- 4.19 Letter and proposal to Lester Wolfe regarding funding for the Indus
- 4.20 WAF
proposals and correspondence, National Science Foundation, 1959-66.
- 4.21Correspondence(1957-1960), notes and draft
statement regarding a Wenner-Gren Grant for field work in 1959-1960.
- 4.22Notebook of budget and equipment records for
the 1959-60 survey.
- 4.23Correspondence (1958-1960) and report regarding the American Philosophical Society
of the 1959-1960 expedition.
- 4.24 Varia regarding the 1959-1960 survey: Land Rover prices and brochure and list of
accessories; introductory letter for WAF by James Oliver; correspondence regarding
- 4.25 Various relating to the Indus Expedition of 1959-60: packing lists; correspondence
travel plans; copies of letters between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Karachi and
Embassy, Karachi; photocopies of newspaper articles; telegrams between H. Shapiro
and WAF in Pakistan; and the certificate of insurance for the jeep
- 4.26 Correspondence (1960) with William Roundtree
(U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan) and Robert Caldwell (Labor Attaché) regarding establishing
school/academy (?) as well as details about the materials collected during the 1959-60
Caldwell worked with WAF on the 1959-60 project and arranged for the export of the
from this survey.
release, photo and published articles about WAF's discoveries in the 1959-60 survey.
- Box 5: WAF expeditions to Pakistan in the 1960's
- 5.1 WAF's hardbound,
handwritten journal of the 1961-1962 India-Pakistan trip. C/c with 7.25
- 5.2 Correspondence, receipts and accounting for
WAF trip to India and Pakistan, November 1961-Jan 1962.
- 5.3 Quetta Archaeological Project, sponsorship agreement, 1963.
Between AMNH in New York and the University of Washington. Correspondence to the
Pakistan Embassy in Washington D.C. (1963). Confidential report to the Department
(1965) regarding problems in setting up a research program in Pakistan (a partial
draft version is
here as well). Various correspondence regarding setting up the 1965 project. Copy
of the Grant
agreement with the U.S. Government for the 1965 season.
- 5.4NSF Grant Application 1964, for the Indo-Iranian
Borderlands Project. Various drafts and mimeographed final version. Also, sample
University of Washington paperwork.
- 5.5Report on the Quetta Project for 1964 (final as well as handwritten draft),
as well as accounting.
WAF's hardbound, handwritten journal of the 1964 (summer) trip to Pakistan and India,
Gregory Possehl. [Some of the journal entries, especially the early ones, may have
- 5.7 Copies of
WAF grant applications to NSF (project start date 1964) and the University of Washington,
Graduate School (start date 1967).
- 5.8 Quetta Project 1964, receipts and accounts, file 1 of 2.
- 5.9 Quetta Project 1964, receipts and accounts, file 2 of
- 5.10 Quetta
Archaeological Project, West Pakistan, Report of Fieldwork Summer of 1965 (written
1966) by WAF, Director, with contributions by G.L. Possehl (Archaeological Survey
Report), N.A. Stenholm (Botanical Field Report), S.A. Minton (Herpetological Field
L.P. Richards (Mammalogy and Ornithology Field Report); J.G. McMillin (Invertebrate
Zoological Field Report); Also included is a financial statement.
- 5.11 Report of the 1965 survey: financial accounting;
copy of the fieldwork report; Pakistan International Airways timetable for 1964, paper
correspondence regarding obtaining, insuring and shipping autos; various correspondence
regarding setting up the project and other logistics; export permit for specimens.
- 5.12Lists of purchases and receipts
from the 1965 Quetta Project. Also, packing lists.
- 5.13 Drafts of the report of the 1965 Quetta Project (by
specialists) along with a list of expenses.
- Quetta Project (1965). Write-up for AMNHs annual report for 1965; lists
granting agencies and amounts, as well as goals of the expedition.
- 5.14 Quetta Project (1965). Write-up for AMNH's annual
report for 1965; lists, granting agencies and amounts, as well as goals of the expedition.
- 5.15 Quetta Project, papers
relating to the purchase and import/export of a Land Rover to/from Pakistan (1965-66).
- 5.16 Receipts and accounting for the Quetta Project, 1965, file 1 of 2, T. Richards accounts,.
- 5.17 Receipts and
accounting for the Quetta Project, 1965, file 2 of 2, Public Law 480.
- 5.18 Quetta Project, more receipts (primarily
- 5.19 Correspondence 1965-66 and house deed regarding the house WAF rented in Quetta.
- 5.20 Correspondence
1965-1970 concerning Jerry Anderson, the Land Rover and the house in Quetta.
- 5.21 Correspondence with Lawrence P.
Richards 1965-1967 regarding the Quetta Project.
- 5.22Quetta Project 1975-1969, application to the Smithsonian Foreign
Currency Program for Field Research in Pakistan (1966) and final report (1969). Final
includes Report on the Status of Archaeology in Pakistan as it relates to Pakistan
Policy by WAF, and reports by specialists (G. Possehl on archaeology done in 1966,
S. Porter on
Pleistocene Geology, W.W. Swidler on Technology and Community Types, L.P. Richards
Vertebrate Zoological Study).
- 5.23 Household expenses for keeping the house in Quetta, for 1965-1967.
- 5.24 Quetta Project 1966, financial
- 5.25 Quetta
Project, financial receipts for 1965, 1967, and 1968.
- 5.26 Correspondence and accounting regarding discrepancies in
the accounts for the Quetta Project (1967-1970).
- 5.27 Accounts and correspondence relating to the accounts for the Quetta
- 5.28 Correspondence, receipts, statement regarding the account with the National and Grindlays
Ltd., for the Quetta Project (1965-70).
- 5.29 Correspondence 1969-1972 regarding discrepancy in accounting for grant
funds for the Quetta Project.
- Box 6: WAF
expeditions to Pakistan in the 1960's
- 6.11965 Quetta Project, correspondence (before and after the project:
letter/proposal/permission with various government agencies in Pakistan; Trevor Robertson,
Pakistan Zoological Enterprise; with the American Embassy in Rawalpindi and Karachi;
Possehl and other team members; and with Helen Kenyon regarding financial matters.
- 6.2 Statements, checks and
correspondence relating to the American Express Account for the Quetta Project (1964-70).
- 6.3 Black-and-white photos
of Ghar-i-mar, Cave excavations (exterior views) and the modern town of Ghar-i-mar,
Afghanistan, taken by L. Dupree (?) in 1967.
- 6.4Reproductions of some of the plates from Majumdars survey in Sindh, and
Steins work in Baluchistan. Also, a few ceramic drawings by WAF of grey wares at
- 6.5 Study notes of painted ceramics at sites in Sindh, taken from Majumdars published
- 6.6 WAF's working
notes on previous surveys and excavations by Stein, Majumdar, Hargreaves in Baluchistan,
Makran, Sindh, South Iran, Seistan.
- 6.7List of sites in Baluchistan, compiled by WAF from various sources.
- 6.8 Notes and handwritten ms (by
WAF) on the native flora and fauna of Afghan-Turkestan.
- 6.9 B/w photostats of the plates from Sir Aurel Steins published
account of his survey in Waziristan and Northern Baluchistan.
- 6.10 B/w photostats of the plates from Sir Aurel Steins
published account of his survey in the Markan.
- 6.11Photostats of the pottery from the site of Bam, Afghanistan, from a
- 6.12Draft grant
application for the Smithsonian Foreign Currency Program, Prehistoric and Early Historic
Archaeology in West and East Pakistan (to begin in 1966, for three years).
- 6.13 Grant application to the Graduate School
Research Fund Committee, University of Washington, for a research project on Mesopotamian
- 6.14 Correspondence with Stephen C. Porter, 1968-1969 concerning funding for a geological
in Swat, Pakistan.
- 6.15Correspondence and report from W.W. Swidler regarding Swidler's participation in the
Project (Technology and Community Types in Baluchistan, Pakistan). 1967-1969
- 6.16 Correspondence with the Ford
Foundation, 1960, regarding the establishment of an American School of Archaeology
Pakistan. Proposal and working drafts of the proposal.
- 6.17Draft of a proposal by WAF for the establishment of a
training School in Archaeology (or an environment school) in Pakistan, under the Department
Archaeology, Government of Pakistan, 1964.
- 6.18WAF's hardbound, handwritten journal of the 1965 trip to Pakistan,
- 6.19 WAF's
hardbound, handwritten journal of the 1967 season (the first excavation season) at
Egypt. Mainly personal observations with a little archaeology.
- 6.20 WAF's hardbound, handwritten journal of his 1968
trip to Teheran.
hardbound, handwritten journal of the 1969 season (the second excavation season) at
Hierakonpolis, Egypt. Mainly personal observations with a little archaeology.
- 6.22 WAF personal journal from the
Indus Expedition (first season at Allahdino?) June-September 1973.
- 6.23 WAF personal journal from the 2nd season at
- Box 7: WAF personal
journals continued; beginning of misc. WAF manuscripts and research
- 7.1 WAF personal journal from the 1976 season at
- 7.2 WAF
personal journal from the Hierakonpolis Expedition 1977-78.
- 7.3 WAF personal journal from a trip to India, Pakistan
and Egypt, June 5-July 7 1979.
- 7.4 WAF personal journal from Hierakonpolis Expedition 1981.
- 7.5 WAF personal journal from a trip to the
USSR (sponsored by IREX) 1983, for the 2nd Soviet-American Symposium in the Archaeology
of the Near East, Central Asia and South Asia.
- 7.6 WAF personal and archaeological journal from a trip to Pakistan from
the 19th of July to the 2nd of August 1984.
- 7.7 WAF personal journal from the Hierakonpolis Project 1988.
- 7.8 WAF personal journal from
Hierakonpolis Project 1991-1992.
- 7.9 WAF ms, Scientific Horizons in Afghanistan, published in Think, Feb. 1950 issue as
Afghanistan's Lost City. Copy of magazine and correspondence included in file as
- 7.10 WAF typewritten ms,
(n.d.) The Origin, Character and Decline of an Early Civilization, (eventually published
- 7.11 WAF
ms, (n.d.) The Harappans and the Predecessors of Early Vedic India.
- 7.12 WAF ms, (n.d.) Harappan Research- A Next
- 7.13 WAF ms,
(n.d.), The Harappans and Indian Civilization (2 copies); and correspondence with
regarding publishing this ms in the B.K. Thapar Felicitation Volume, 1988.
- 7.14 WAF ms with Michael Hoffman, The
Development of Civilization in Egypt and South Asia, A Hoffman-Fairservis Dialectic;
annotated and (n.d.).
WAF ms, Thoughts on the Genesis of the Harappan Civilization, paper presented at the
Soviet-American Conference in Samarkand, September 1983. One original typewritten
- 7.16 WAF
miscellaneous notes and papers: an abstract entitled, The Consequences of Harappan
Dravidian Language: A Problem in Archaeology and Linguistics (n.d.); a short piece
Allahdino; various notes, possibly for presentations? Bits and bobs, lost items.
- 7.17 WAF handwritten notes,
fragments of mss., and some seminar and/or lecture notes. Also, a bibliography for
- 7.18 WAF notes
and correspondence with James Lindholm regarding a lecture at the University of Chicago,
- 7.19 WAF draft of a
book proposal (both typed and handwritten) for a general book about the Indus Civilization,
follow his Roots of Ancient India (1971).
- 7.20 WAF book ms, The Origins of Oriental Civilization. Text only
WAF book ms, no title, (n.d.). about Asia, supposedly has photos by Lee Boltin (not
in the file).
- 7.22 Various drafts and
data for WAF ms, The Rise, Climax and Decline of an Early Civilization (post 1964).
- 7.23 WAF handwritten
notes for study or from class? Typewritten bibliography and notes on 13th-15th century
Germany as well as the Puritans (17th century). Probably study notes.
- 7.24 WAF writings on the Baluchi and Tajik.
- Box 8: Waf mss and research, cont.
- 8.1 WAF typewritten ms of
Roots of Ancient India (published 1971) with a few annotations. File 1 of 2 (carbon
- 8.2 WAF
typewritten ms of Roots of Ancient India (published 1971). File 2 of 2. (carbon
- 8.3 WAF ms,
The Harappan Civilization According to Its Writing, A Model for the Decipherment of
Script, submitted to the A. Ghosh Commemoration Volume, 1982.
- 8.4 WAF ms, Archaeology in Baluchistan and the
Harappan Problem, submitted to the Wheeler Festschrift (Frontiers?), nd.
- 8.5 WAF ms, Sir Mortimer Wheeler and I:
Archaeological Methodologies in the Indo-Iranian Borderlands, for the Tucci Commemoration
- 8.6 WAF
ms On the Origins of Egyptian Hieroglyphic Writing.
- 8.7 Typed copies of book reviews written by WAF, 1963-1967;
with submission cover letters.
- 8.8 WAF's editorial on waging peace; notes, draft, correspondence (1982-1985).
- 8.9 WAF handwritten mss:
The Transition: Hunting-Gathering to Sedentary Village Farming and Pastoralism; and
Civilization in Asia.
WAF rejected/unpublished mss: The Seeds of Revolution (rejected by the Saturday Review,
1967); The Theatre and Archaeology (rejected by Theatre Arts Magazine, 1957); and
handwritten piece with no title, about the army and Japan (nd).
- 8.11 WAF mss for Asia in Western History and Word
History, a text for undergraduate teaching: Primary Civilization in Asia and The Transition:
Hunting-Gathering to Sedentary Village Farming and Pastoralism. File includes copies
mss, comments by various readers, and correspondence with the editors at Columbia
Handwritten ms on the Habsborgs (incomplete).
- 8.13 WAF typed book ms, Tales of the Habsborgs; A Rhapsody on the
History of Central Europe.
- 8.14 Various drafts, images and correspondence relating to WAF book Before the
Buddha Came, The Story of the Most Ancient Far East (published 1972).
- 8.15 Typewritten ms of Before the Buddha
Came, The Story of the Most Ancient Far East, (published 1972).
- 8.16 Typewritten ms, Ziggurat and Skyscraper.
- 8.17 Various drafts for a
guide to an exhibition on Costumes [at AMNH?].
- 8.18 Working notes and drafts of Archaeology in Baluchistan
and the Harappan Problem, published in Frontiers Also, some correspondence (1976-77)
to publication of the ms.
- 8.19 Draft manuscript of WAF's 1975 book, The Threshold of Civilization: An
Experiment in Prehistory; handwritten, typed and annotated pages.
- 8.20 Photocopy of WAF's typewritten manuscript of, The
Threshold of Civilization: An Experiment in Prehistory.
- 8.21 WAF manuscript pieces, typed and handwritten, for, The
Threshold of Civilization: An Experiment in Prehistory (published 1975).
- Box 9: WAF mss and research continued: beginning files on
WAF's research on the Harappan Script.
- 9.1 WAF manuscript chapters, handwritten: Foreword, Afterward, V. The Asian
Overview, 1. The Dharma that is India, Chapter I: Asia, the Geographical Premise,
The Origins of Asian Civilization.
- 9.2 WAF manuscript chapters, handwritten: 1. The Near Eastern Mosaic, V. the
- 9.3 WAF
handwritten study cards on Egypt.
- 9.4 Handwritten notes (by WAF) on the ethnography of the Karachi area (3pp.).
- 9.5 Correspondence
1982-83),ms, offprint, and illustrations for his 1983 Scientific American article,
The Script of the
Indus Valley Civilization.
- 9.6 Original artwork for his 1983 Scientific American article. Drawings by Jan
- 9.7 WAF ms
and offprint of Harappan Civilization According to Its Writing, presented at the Sixth
International Congress of South Asian Archaeologists, subsequently published in South
Archaeology 1981 (1984).
- 9.8 WAF ms The Consequences of Harappan as a Dravidian Language, paper read at
the 76th Annual Meeting of the A.A.A. (1975).
- 9.9 WAF ms. An Epigenetic View of the Harappan Culture and
correspondence regarding its publication in Archaeological Thought in America, C.C.
Lamberg-Karlovsky ed., 1989.
- 9.10 B/w and color photos from a conference in Kashmir, June 1979. Pictured are WAF,
George Dales, C.C. Lamberg-Karlovsky, Jean-Frans Jarrige, Frank Southworth, Ken Kennedy,
Comments and correspondence regarding WAF's ms, The Harappan civilization and its
model for the decipherment of the Indus script rejected by the American Philosophical
- 9.12 WAF ms, The Origin
and Development of Early Writing for the Wilson Quarterly, 1985. Includes correspondence
regarding the ms as well.
- 9.13 Illustrations used by WAF [for one of the Novitates articles?]
- 9.14 WAF notes and references for chapters 1
through 11 of ???
WAF handwritten ms as well as typed copied of his children's book Mesopotamia. Also, a memo from his editor, Arthur Gregor (1963).
- 9.16 WAF notes entitled Civilization-notes and ideas.
- 9.17 WAF notes entitled
Knopf book, notes.
WAF notes on the history of civilization?
- 9.19 WAF typewritten comments from 1961 NY Academy of Science
- 9.20 WAF ms,
introduction to a book (general, about civilization).
- 9.21 WAF typewritten and handwritten pages about ancient
- 9.22 Miscellaneous
regarding the Hierakonpolis Project: correspondence regarding WAF's faulty financial
keeping (1981 season) and fund-raising brochures from later seasons with Michael Hoffman
director (1985 and ?).
Financial reports from 1986 (for the Hierakonpolis Project and the American Institute
Pakistan) and 1989-90 (Archaeology in Pakistan and American Institute in Pakistan).
- 9.24 WAF and Franklin C.
Southworth, outline, 2 interim copies and a pre-publication proof of Linguistic Archaeology
the Indus Valley Civilization (published 1989).
- 9.25 WAF notes on graphic symbols (various ideas).
- 9.26 WAF notes on the Harappan script: some
signs and possible Dravidian readings.
- 9.27 WAF notes to consider about the Harappan script. Some sign readings,
analysis of signs from Mohenjo-daro, some analysis of placement of signs.
- 9.28 Brochure Recent Finds of the Indus
Civilization by the Archaeological Survey of India. WAF has drawn lines by a photo
inscribed rim fragment from the site of Daimabad.
- 9.29 Regarding the inscribed objects from the site of
Chanhu-daro: offprint of F.R. Allchin's article, The Interpretation of a Seal from
and Its Significance for the Religion of the Indus Civilization (South Asian Archaeology
; copy of WAF's letter to Allchin regarding the translation of the inscription
on the seal
discussed by Allchin; WAFs notes on the unicorn seals from Chanhu-daro.
- 9.30 WAFs notes on Brahui.
- 9.31 Language study notes; vocabulary
lists of various languages?
- 9.32 WAF handwritten essay on painted pottery motifs (and a decipherment of some of
the motifs). [or painted signs on pottery?]
- 9.33 Harappan signs found in Oman: hand-drawn signs with site location
information, on a scrap of paper, from Louis Flam? Also, a copy of A Possible Harappan
Seaport in Eastern Arabia: Ras al-Junayz in the Sultanate of Oman by Maurizio Tosi,
at the First International Conference on Pakistan Archaeology, Peshawar, 1982.
- 9.34 WAFs decipherment of the
inscribed objects from the Harappan site of Shortugai, Afghanistan.
- 9.35 Inscribed signs from the sites of Rojdi and
Oriyo Timbo, drawn and annotated by WAF.
- 9.36 WAF notes on potters marks (one page, Hopi? Quetta?).
- 9.37 WAF study notes of
WAF notes regarding an inscribed stone he studied in Karachi, 1979.
- 9.39 Comments on WAFs Excavations at the
Harappan Site of Allahdino. The Graffiti: A Model in the Decipherment of the Indus
David McAlpin, Gregory Possehl, Richard Cohen, and Karen Dean.
- 9.40 Mss on the Indus script from the International
Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology, March 1972, Bombay: Determination
Pair-wise Frequencies of Proto-Indian Signs by I. Mahadevan and K. Visvanathan; Decipherment
of the Indus Script- Methodology and Language by S.R. Rao; Foreign Rulers in the Indus
A Clue to Determine the Chronology of the Indus Civilization by M.V.N. Krishnarao.
- 9.41 Protosanskrit,
a Bronze Age language of Mohenjo-daro by Barry Fell with comments by Linus Brunner
(1975). Sent to WAF by James Guthrie (1983).
- 9.42 WAF Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note I,
The Harappan Calendar, December 1979. File includes an early draft, a completed ms,
- 9.43 WAF
Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note II: A Review of the Archeological
Evidence in Connection with the Identity of the Language of the Harappan Script.
1980. File includes original and one copy.
- 9.44 WAF Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note III:
The Meaning of the Animal and Anthropomorphic Motifs March 1980. File includes cover
letter, one original ms and one copy, along with comments by Gregory Possehl.
- 9.45 WAF Notes Towards a
Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note IV: The Harappan Seal Conventions December
1980. File includes original ms (missing pages), one copy, and a cover letter.
- 9.46 WAF Notes Towards a Decipherment of
the Harappan Script: Note V: The Anthropomorphic Signs March 1982. File includes
handwritten draft, a few notes, and a cover letter.
- 9.47 WAF Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note
VI: A Summation March 1982 (alternate title: The Harappan Civilization According to
Writing: A Model for the Decipherment of the Script). File includes original handwritten
and original typed ms along with a cover letter.
- 9.48 A copy of Note VI annotated and reworked by WAF into a paper read
at a conference in Leningrad September 1983.
- 9.49 WAF Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note
VII: The Twist Sign Group, April 1982. File includes original manuscript, one copy,
notes and a cover letter.
- 9.50 WAF Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note VIII, working
- 9.51 WAF Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note VIII: Bilingual Possibilities
in seals found in Mesopotamia Bearing Signs of the Harappan Script. File includes
manuscript, one copy, cover letter and some comments from Thorkild Jacobsen and WAF's
- 9.52 WAF handwritten
notes and sign studies for Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan Script: Note
Orthography of the Indus Script 1985.
- 9.53 Notes and sign study for Notes Towards a Decipherment of the Harappan
Script: Note X, 1986.
Names and addresses of scholars to send copies of WAFs Notes mss. to.
- Box 10:WAF materials relating to his research on the
miscellaneous mss: The Harappan Civilization According to its Writing (1978); a collection
charts for a Model in the Decipherment of the Harappan Script, June 1981, and: The
Consequences of Harappan as a Dravidian Language, paper read at 76th Annual Meeting
- 10.2 WAF
manuscript: The Harappan Civilization According to its Writing: A Progress Report,
1985. [This is the paper he presented in Leningrad in September 1983, with a new
title. See file
- 10.3 Various lists
and notes regarding Indus signs and their meanings.
- 10.4 WAF application to and various correspondence with the
American Philosophical Society for funds to collaborate with Kamal V. Zvelebil, 1989-1990.
- 10.5 Letter of inquiry to the
National Geographic Society, regarding funding for a decipherment team. Replies from
Geographic and a copy of Frank Southworth's c.v. 1994.
- 10.6 WAF handwritten manuscript, Toward a Decipherment of
the Harappan Writing.
WAF handwritten manuscript: Identification of [Harappan] signs: Building the sign
miscellaneous manuscript fragments, all relating to Harappan signs and their meanings.
- 10.910.9 WAF handwritten
manuscript: Appendix B: The Main Motifs: Polity and Social Organization.
- 10.10WAF handwritten manuscript, chapter
headings: The Meaning of the Seals; The Signs; on seal cutting; The Seals and Other
Objects; and some miscellaneous pages. [For his 1992 book, The Harappan Civilization
- 10.11 WAF first
and second drafts (handwritten and typed) of pieces for his 1992 book, The Harappan
Civilization and its Writing. File 1 of 2.
- 10.12 WAF first and second drafts (handwritten and typed) of pieces for his
1992 book, The Harappan Civilization and its Writing. File 2 of 2.
- 10.13 WAF manuscript on Indus Valley ivory
sticks, submitted to Science, 1976. File includes various drafts.
- 10.14 WAF manuscript, Ten Harappan Inscriptions
Deciphered, A Preliminary Report, August 1976. Papers of the Allahdino Expedition.
includes original handwritten manuscript, original typewritten ms, and one copy.
- 10.15 WAF manuscript, The Harappan
Civilization and its Writing; A Model for the Decipherment of the Indus Script,
published in 1992.
WAF manuscript, The Harappan Civilization and its Writing; A Model for the Decipherment
the Indus Script; Incomplete, some annotations and changes, published in 1992.
- 10.17 Pieces from WAF manuscript,
The Harappan Civilization and its Writing; A Model for the Decipherment of the Indus
WITH Some corrections and annotations, published 1992.
- 10.18 Early drafts of charts and appendices used in The
Harappan Civilization and its Writing; A Model for the Decipherment of the Indus Script,
published in 1992.
B/w negatives and contact prints used in The Harappan Civilization and its Writing;
A Model for
the Decipherment of the Indus Script, published in 1992.
- 10.20 Two copies, both annotated, of sections of WAF
manuscript, The Harappan Civilization and its Writing; A Model for the Decipherment
Indus Script, published in 1992.
- 10.21 WAF handwritten notes on Dravidian words.
- 10.22 WAF various handwritten notes about Indus signs.
- 10.23 WAFs master grid
of Harappan signs (incomplete).
- 10.24 Various photocopied illustrations of inscribed objects from WAFs publications.
- 10.25 WAF study notes
correlating signs and sign groups to sounds and words; and translating them.
- 10.26 Various sign lists and sign tabulations by
WAF. Also some papers relating to his method.
- Box 11: WAF materials relating to his research on the Harappan script
- 11.1 Copy of WAFs sign chart used in his
1992 book, annotated.
Manuscript by Osman Tuna, On the Phonetic Values of the Symbols.Used in Some of the
in Kurkish Script, February 1967.
- 11.3 Working versions of WAFs language root tables (tables which list Harappan signs,
and possible corresponding meanings in Dravidian, Tamil, Malayam, Kannada, Telegu,
- 11.4 Odds and
ends: tabulations of small finds [from Allahdino??]; misc. references; misc. language
- 11.5 Letters from WAF to
E. Bender, D. McAlpin, K.V. Zvelebil, I. Mahadevan, and F.C. Southworth regarding
Harappan Civilization According to its Writing, 1976.
- 11.6 WAF handwritten ms, Section IV, on his methodology for
decipherment of the Indus script.
- 11.7 WAF working notes on seal motifs and signs. File includes miscellaneous sign lists.
- 11.8 WAF correspondence
regarding his work on the Harappan script, 1976. Correspondence with F.R. Allchin,
A.L. Basham, T. Burrow, M.B. Emeneau, S.A. Freed, I.J. Gelb, M. Gibson, H. Guterbock,
Jacobson, S.N. Kramer, S. Kramrsich, C.C. Lamberg-Karlovsky, J.M. Lindholm, P. Machinist,
D. McAlpin, A. Parpola, E. Porada, F.C. Southworth, J.W. Spellman, M.P. Sullivan,
Wilson, A.R.K. Zide, K.V. Zvelebil.
- 11.9 WAF correspondence regarding his work on the Harappan script, 1977
(with some from 1978 and 1979). Correspondents include R.M. Adams, F.R. Allchin,
Basham, B. Bronson, T. Burrow, G.F. Dales, R.H. Dyson, M.B. Emeneau, A. Hiltebeitel,
Jacobson, S, Kramrisch, B.B. Lal, C.C. Lamberg-Karlovsky, J.M. Lindholm, D. McAlpin,
Possehl, H.D. Sankalia, F.R. Southworth, T.R. Trautmann, A.R.K. Zide, K.V. Zvelebil.
- 11.10 Correspondence with
M. Fentress (1975) and her compilation of the signs from the miniature seal-tablets
found at the
site of Harappan (M.S. Vats excavations).
- 11.11 WAF Harappan sign tables (inked, prepublication?).
- 11.12 WAF working notes on the Harappan
calendar and other signs/translations.
- 11.13 WAF handwritten working notes of various Harappan sign translations.
- 11.14 WAF ms, A
Tentative Decipherment of Some Harappan Inscriptions. File includes both first and
drafts (although not complete).
- 11.15Various handwritten notes (WAF) and charts relating to the Harappan script.
- 11.16One rubber-bound
notebook, WAFs Syllabic Dictionary Harappan Script August 1976; one spiral-bound notebook,
WAFs Harappan Script Notes 1976.
- 11.17Two spiral-bound notebooks: WAFs Notes on the Harappan Script I, 1976,
and WAFs Notes on the Harappan Script II 1976-77.
- 11.18Two spiral-bound notebooks: WAFs Mohenjo-daro DK
Area (list of inscriptions); and Mohenjo-daro DK Area (cont) (more inscriptions).
- 11.19Miscellaneous WAF notes on the
Harappan script and society found together: handwritten notes on loose paper, as well
spiral-bound notebook, Summer 1979 work of sign tables (translating Harappan signs
Collection of handwritten notes about the translations of various Harappan signs.
- 11.21 Early annotated/edited draft of a
section from Harappan Civilization and Its Writing.
- 11.22 WAFs miscellaneous working notes on the Harappan
script. Includes lists of signs with various Dravidian translations.
- 11.23Notebook, June 1978, working through translations
of various Harappan inscriptions.
- 11.24 Notebook, Notes Summer 1982 Harappan Script. More translations of Harappan
- 11.25 WAF
early version (typewritten) of Excavations at Allahdino Volume I, The Seals and Other
Miscellaneous odd pages from one of the Allahdino reports. Some typed, others handwritten.
Includes sign lists and notes on the script as well as a list of footnotes and figures.
from Excavations at Allahdino, Volume I, The Seals and Other Inscribed Material??
- 11.27 Typewritten ms, "Evolution of
Social Organization"; a chapter removed from and early version of Excavations at Allahdino
Volume I, The Seals and Other Inscribed Material.
- 11.28 Correspondence regarding the second Allahdino report, on
the lithics, by M. Hoffman and J. Cleland. Correspondents include, M.I. Khan, T.D.
H.D. Sankalia (1977).
- 11.29Drafts of the Introduction (by WAF) to the second Allahdino report (by Hoffman and
handwritten first drafts of sections of Excavations at Allahdino, Volume III: The
- 11.31 Odd pages,
handwritten first drafts (by WAF) from Excavations at Allahdino, Volume III: The Graffiti.
- 11.32Second drafts (WAF)
of various portions from Excavations at Allahdino, Volume III: The Graffiti.
- 11.33Reworking (WAF) of Chapter II: The
Harappan Calendar, from Excavations at Allahdino, Volume III: The Graffiti, as an
article for the
V International Conference seminar of Tamil Studies. Annotated chapter along with
- Box 12: WAF materials relating to
his research on the Harappan script; manuscript of his last book (unpublished, "The
- 12.1 WAFs handwritten
first draft of the introduction to Excavations at Allahdino, Volume III: The Graffiti
as well as
Original typed manuscript of Excavations at Allahdino III, The Graffiti, A Model in
Decipherment of the Harappan Script (by WAF), Papers of the Allahdino Expedition 1977.
1 of 2, pp. 1-100.
Original typed manuscript of Excavations at Allahdino III, The Graffiti, A Model in
Decipherment of the Harappan Script (by WAF), Papers of the Allahdino Expedition 1977.
2 of 2, pp. 100f.f.
WAF lists of whom he sent copies of his publications to (1976-1978).
- 12.5 Various fragments, some annotated, from
Excavations at Allahdino III, The Graffiti, A Model in the Decipherment of the Harappan
(by WAF), Papers of the Allahdino Expedition 1977.
- 12.6 WAF ms, early draft of Excavations at the Harappan Site of
Allahdino: the seals and other inscribed material; annotated and handwritten sections.
- 12.7 WAF handwritten
pieces on Allahdino and a plan of AL76, as well as early drafts of background information
- 12.8Correspondence and editorial comments from Barbara (Bobbie) Bristol at Alfred A. Knopf
Publishers regarding WAFs book ms The Fourth River (1986-1989). Also, some WAF
Handwritten notes and references for various chapters of WAFs unpublished book, The
- 12.10 WAFs
unpublished book ms, The Fourth River, penultimate draft, 1988, chapters I through
- 12.11 WAFs unpublished
book ms, The Fourth River, penultimate draft, 1988, chapters VI through XI.
- 12.12 An early draft of WAFs unpublished
book ms, The Fourth River, 1984, file 1 of 2.
- 12.13 An early draft of WAFs unpublished book ms, The Fourth River,
1984, file 2 of 2.
Editors comments on chapter 1 of The Fourth River, 1985.
- 12.15Drafts of the Introduction to The Fourth River, with editors
- 12.16 Drafts of
the notes and references sections for chapters 1 through 11, for The Fourth River.
- 12.17 Annotated fragments for The
Fourth River ms, some not used, from various chapters.
- 12.18Correspondence regarding illustrations for The Fourth
River (1984-85) as well as some of the illustrations and a list of figure captions.
- 12.19 WAF handwritten draft of
Chapter 10 for The Fourth River.
- 12.20 An undated edited draft of The Fourth River, file 1 of 2.
- 12.21 An undated edited draft of The Fourth River,
file 2 of 2.
- 12.22 WAF
handwritten drafts of Chapters IX and X for The Fourth River.
- Box 13: Last of the "Fourth River" files; notes and drafts of WAF's
book on Nelson's Mongolia research; misc. files.
- 13.1WAF handwritten drafts of Chapters V through VIII for The Fourth River.
- 13.2WAF handwritten
drafts of Introduction through Chapter IV for The Fourth River.
- 13.3WAF typewritten ms (3 copies) of "Unity in
- 13.4 Correspondence and research proposal (1962-1963) for an expedition to Outer Mongolia.
Personnel for the project: Malcolm McKenna, V. Standish Mallory and WAF.
- 13.5WAF Handwritten descriptions of
sites in Mongolia, published in Fairservis 1993, Chapter 5: Historical and Other Remains
Outer and Inner Mongolia.
- 13.6 Handwritten note cards (in pencil) of descriptions of prehistoric sites in Mongolia.
Compiled by a research assistant from the following sources: American Antiquity, KasKu,
KasKuHsueh Pao, Bestnik Drevnei Istorii.
- 13.7Handwritten notes/chapters on Mongolia; early preface, outline as well as
notes and drawings of N.C. Nelson's stratigraphy described in Fairservis 1993.
- 13.8 Handwritten notes on Andrews
and Nelson's Mongolia work 9various regions) for Fairservis 1993.
- 13.9Notes, outline, chapter drafts on Mongolia for
- 13.10Annotated (WAF) chapter draft for chapter 4 (Artifact Description) in Fairservis 1993
handwritten chapter drafts (by WAF) used in Fairservis 1993 (Mongolia).
- 13.12Stray notes (handwritten and typed) for
Introduction to Fairservis 1993 (Mongolia).
- 13.13Drawings and descriptions of stone artifacts from Battow II, Mongolia.
Used in Fairservis 1993.
- 13.14Handwritten notes on Siberia and Siberia/Mongolia; Paleolithic sites and other
of N.C. Nelson's sites in Mongolia (1927-28) and a tally of the artifacts found at
- 13.16Handwritten notes
about petroglyphs in Mongolia, Siberia and China (various sources).
- 13.17WAF handwritten notes on various sites and
regions in Mongolia. Used for Fairservis 1993.
- 13.18Typewritten draft of Chapter 3 (Inner Mongolia: The Late Prehistoric
Remains) in Fairservis 1993.
- 13.19 Mongolia report, special notes. Includes 2 b/w photos, site lists, artifact lot lists,
early outline of appendices.
- 13.20 Notes on artifact comparisons for the Mongolia report.
- 13.21Shabarakh Usu (Mongolia, Nelson Expedition),
sections and other drawings as well as various notes and artifact descriptions, used
for Mongolia report, used in Fairservis 1993.
- 13.23Notes mainly from the work of Alonzo Pond (worked with Nelson on
Andrews expeditions to Mongolia). Site descriptions, artifact sketches (by WAF),
(not used in Fairservis 1993).
- 13.24Copy of A. Pond's MS of his finds from the 1927-28 Andrews' Expedition (mainly
Mesolithic sites, not used by WAF in his 1993 book). Also, a brochure advertising
Pond was willing to make (for hire) in 1931-32 (not used in Fairservis 1993).
- 13.25Some b/w prints from N.C. Nelson's
negatives (Mongolia Expedition), references not in English, and drawings made by a
- 13.26 Mongolia report
correspondence: letter from Charles Gallenkamp requesting information to include in
his book on
Andrews Gobi expeditions; also, a copy of a letter from WAF to David H. Thomas (Dept.
Anthropology, AMNH) regarding publication of WAF's manuscript by AMNH; handwritten
notes in response to a review of the manuscript.
- 13.27Varia regarding US-USSR exchange 1981, 1983: program, protocol,
memos from IREX, letters from C.C.Lamberg-Karlovsky, b/w photos, ticket stubs, paper
currency, various brochures and receipts.
- 13.28Correspondence, newsletter, annual reports regarding the Woodland Park
Zoological Society in Seattle, Washington, 1969-1990 (WAF was a founding member and
- 13.29 Correspondence with and annotated ms for The Wilson Quarterly, 1985-86
- 13.30Re: Indian reverse glass paintings in the
collection of Ramon Sala. Correspondence (1987-88) between WAF, Ramon Sala, Vassar
College Art Gallery. List of the collection, exhibit brochure.
- 13.31 Various mementoes from WAF's trip to Vienna in
1961. Brochures, map, and an announcement of his talk The Civilization of Harappa
Mohenjo-daro, at the Instituts für Völkerkunde.
- Box 14: Teaching notes; WAF's home library and study/image/notes files.
- Re: study/image/notes files: WAF kept a sizeable
number of topical files with notes, portions of articles, unpublished manuscripts,
pages from The
Illustrated London News, postcards, photos, drawings, and other types of images on
topics/objects that influenced his research, or were of research interest to him.
Many of the
images are not sourced/cited. They are a mixed bag of information, but all were kept,
because they demonstrate what influenced him and how . These study/image/note files
- 14.1Materials relating
to courses WAF taught at Vassar College (de-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07).
- 14.2 Materials relating to a course
WAF wanted to teach at the University of Washington: "The Ritual Basis of Drama" (1964)
(de-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07).
- 14.3 Records and correspondence relating to WAF's home library: accession list
for 1991, correspondence related to returning lost books, receipts for book purchases;
the library (nd), lists of books other libraries desire, inventory of books sent from
Sharon in 1968. (De-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07).
- 14.4 WAF study notes on: black glaze and pottery production at
Cochiti Pueblo; tally sheet of which authors discuss what aspects of pottery analysis;
clay. (De-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07)
- 14.5"BARRE, a Community in Photographs". Images from magazines that
have been cut out, mounted on paper to create a photographic essay: "They are placed
form to describe a hypothetical town in North American (neither particularly American
European." [a class project by WAF??] File 1 of 5. (De-accessioned to Vassar College,
- 14.6"BARRE, a
Community in Photographs". Images from magazines that have been cut out, mounted
to create a photographic essay: "They are placed in essay form to describe a hypothetical
North American (neither particularly American or European." [a class project by WAF??]
of 5. (De-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07)
- 14.7"BARRE, a Community in Photographs". Images from magazines that
have been cut out, mounted on paper to create a photographic essay: "They are placed
form to describe a hypothetical town in North American (neither particularly American
European." [a class project by WAF??] File 3 of 5. (De-accessioned to Vassar College,
- 14.8"BARRE, a
Community in Photographs". Images from magazines that have been cut out, mounted
to create a photographic essay: "They are placed in essay form to describe a hypothetical
North American (neither particularly American or European." [a class project by WAF??]
of 5. (De-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07)
- 14.9 "BARRE, a Community in Photographs". Images from magazines
that have been cut out, mounted on paper to create a photographic essay: "They are
essay form to describe a hypothetical town in North American (neither particularly
European." [a class project by WAF??] File 5 of 5. (De-accessioned to Vassar College,
- 14.10 Notes and two
photocopied articles (annotated) about Bone Staining with Red Ochre. Also a bibliography,
"Selected Bibliography for Developmental Theories, Psychology 327, Ms. Groch".
- 14.11Study file: misc. Iran.
- 14.12 Study file: Ancient Persia,
Neolithic and Persepolis
- 14.13Study file: NE Iran, prehistoric pottery, Nishapur.
- 14.14 Study file: Pathan Tribesmen.
- 14.15Study file: images of Indian miniature
- 14.16 Study file:
- 14.17Study file: Ancient Indian sculpture.
- 14.18 Study file: drawings of pottery from Chalcolithic Navdatoli, India.
- 14.19Study file: Indian
file: Reproductions of drawings by Elizabeth Wlaters (Walters?),of Iranian objects
terra cotta, Bronze and Iron Age, with accession numbers?).
- 14.21Study file: Mingora, an Udegram Castle (Swat?Pakistan).
- 14.22Study file: BxW
photos of village life in Malahar (India).
- 14.23Study file: misc. images of South Asian textiles.
- 14.24Study file: BxW photographs of various jade
- 14.25Study file:
images of a few Islamic buildings/tombs. Agra, among others.
- 14.26 Study file: Ajanta cave paintings.
- 14.27 Study file: Tribes of Assam.
- 14.28 Study file: Various
reverse-images of ethnographic subjects, Iran.
- 14.29 Study file: Islamic pottery.
- 14.30 Study file: Persian drawings.
- 14.31 Study file: Persian jade objects.
- 14.32 Study file: images of all sorts of
objects found in Japan.
- 14.33 Study file: labels from a museum exhibit on the Ancient Near East (Paleolithic
through historic periods; from AMNH?).
- 14.34 Study file: various articles from The Illustrated London News, Segesta, Italy, Hazor, Israel.
- 14.35 Study file: images of Gothic architecture, Early Christian/Romanesque
- 14.36 Study
file: Indian megaliths; copies of conference papers by S.B. Deo (The Dating of Megaliths
Maharashtra), A. Sundara (The Chronological Sequence of Megalithic tomb types in Karnataka).
- 14.37 Study file: results of
chemical analyses on bones and soils from a study by ? Sites include Mehrgarh.
- 14.38 Study file: Mohenjo-daro:
photos, site guide, plans, The Illustrated London News article.
- Box 15: Study/image/note files, continued.
- 15.1 Study file: Conference ms
(International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology 1972) by S.C. Malik,
Archaeology: Models and Social Relevance.
- 15.2 Study file: Conference mss ms (International Symposium on Radiocarbon
and Indian Archaeology 1972) by S. Nagaraju, H.D. Sankalia on the Neolithic Cultures
India, Bihar (India) and Bengal.
- 15.3 Study file: Conference ms (International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian
Archaeology 1972) by K.K. Sinha,, Stratigraphy and Chronology of Early Kausambi.
- 15.4 Study file:
Conference ms (International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology 1972)
Ghosh on periodization and terminology.
- 15.5 Study file: Conference ms ms (International Symposium on Radiocarbon
and Indian Archaeology 1972) by K.R. Alurr on faunal remains from protohistoric excavations
- 15.6 Study file:
Conference mss (International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology 1972)
Paleolithic of India.
Study file: Conference mss (International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology
1972) on Indian Iron Age.
- 15.8 Study file: Conference mss (International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian
Archaeology 1972) by J.F. Jarrige and J.F. Enault on Pirak (Pakistan).
- 15.9 Study file: Conference mss (International
Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology 1972) by K.N. Dikshit The Allahapur
Evidence and the Painted Grey Ware Chronology.
- 15.10 Study file: Conference mss (International Symposium on
Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology 1972) by M.K. Dhavalikar Development and Decline
Study file: Conference mss (International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology
1972) articles by K.T.M. Hegde Early Stages of Metallurgy in India; and C. Margabandhu
Technology of Transport Vehicles During the Early Historic Period ©. 300B.C.-200A.D).
- 15.12 Study file:
Conference mss (International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology 1972)
J.P. Joshi Excavations at Surkotada.
- 15.13 Study file: Conference mss (International Symposium on Radiocarbon
and Indian Archaeology 1972) by H.D. Sankalia on C-14 dates in India.
- 15.14 Study file: Maps, dates etc. for the site of
- 15.15 Study
file: Ms by G.F. Dales, Pre-and Protohistoric Research in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
International Symposium on Radiocarbon and Indian Archaeology 1972?].
- 15.16 Study file: Chinese porcelain, textiles,
- 15.17 Study
file: BxW photos of ancient Chinese metal objects.
- 15.18 Study file: The Bulletin of the Minneapolis Institute of
Arts, various issues from 1929 until 1946. The illustrations were used by WAF in
his topic files.
- 15.19Study file: Chinese
frescoes, enam ware and architecture.
- 15.20 Study file: Chinese jades, Shang and Chou dynasties.
- 15.21 Study file: Chinese jades, Tsin, Tang,
Sung, and Ming Dynasties.
- 15.22 Study file: Chinese jades, Han Dynasty.
- 15.23 Study file: Taxidermy.
- 15.24 Study file: Newsletter from the Southeast Asia
Institute 1947-48 various issues.
- 15.25 Study file: Postcards and a brochure, New England (from the 1930s and 1940s?).
- 15.26 Study file: China;
postcards, misc, pages found scattered, BxW photos of architecture, celebrations,
- 15.27 Study file: BxW
photos of the Lady Wen-Chi Scroll (China) from MMA, NY.
- 15.28 Study file: Chinese bronze (metal) objects.
- 15.30 Study file: Alaskan
- 15.31 Study
file: Maps and chronological charts, Europe and Asia.
- 15.32 Study file: Drawings by Elizabeth Walters; maps of Asia,
Study file: Photocopies of images of Ainu material culture.
- 15.34 Study file: Island Peoples.
- 15.35 Study file: South American Indians.
- 15.36 Study file: Australia, New
- 15.37 Study file:
North American Indian.
- 15.38 Study file: S.E. Asian art.
- 15.39 Study file: Africa, a few symbols.
- 15.40 Study file: Siberian objects.
- 15.41 Study file: Persian wars, military statues of Greece
and Persia (includes a student paper? By WAF?).
- 15.42 Study file: Russia.
- 15.43 Study file: Pinocchio.
- 15.44 Study file: Phrygia, archaeology.
- 15.45 Study file: Peru, archaeology.
- Box 16: Study/image/note files,
- 16.1Study file:
Egypt/Nubia; Coptic Art, various Egyptian sculpture.
- 16.2 Study file: Ancient Ethiopia
- 16.3Study file: misc. archaeology in Europe, Greece,
Malta and Cyprus
file: "Educational illustrations". Various historic events (including some archaeological).
- 16.5Study file: Fossil men
and tool types; photos and plates.
- 16.6Study file: photos of objects in the Kahn collection (metal) and a Hunish horseshoe.
- 16.7Study file: France:
archaeology, architecture, misc.
- 16.8Study file: various photos of Africa.
- 16.9Study file: Siberia: illustrations from a publication of artifacts, and
- 16.10Study file:
- 16.11Study file:
Photographs of people taken in 1946: Henry Py-yi, Chinese B-24 crew members, Russians.
- 16.12 Study file: Japanese
- 16.13Study file: Korea: people, artifacts, scenes
- 16.14Study file: Mesopotamia.
- 16.15Study file: Mongolia; objects.
- 16.16Study file: SE Asia and Pacific Islands.
- 16.17 Study file: South Asian, specifically
- 16.19 Study
file: Pakistan. Contents: Guide to the Ethnological Museum, Chittagong (1971); A
Foundation Pictorial Report (1958?); various landscape photos (BxW); Qawwali Music;
of Indian National costumes; various brochures and images of archaeological topics.
- 16.20 Study file: Israel, Jordan
- 16.23Study file:
Switzerland; photos of implements found in West Switzerland and Robenhausen
- 16.25 Study file: Peru, Mexico
- 16.28Study file: Misc
images: various lamps, images of ruins (unlabeled); a few glass plate negatives.
- 16.29Study file: reverse prints on paper
of Northwest Frontier Province, Pakistan
- 16.30 Study file: Chinese pottery and porcelain.
- 16.31 Study file: Chinese textiles, paper gods, kites,
lacquer, painting, theater, costume.
- 16.32 Study file: Chinese ceramics, sculpture.
- 16.33 Study file: Chinese jade carving
- 16.34 Study file: Chinese writing,
tools/weapons, carving, basketry
- 16.35Study file: China, misc
- 16..36 Study file: China, Chinese, current/modern misc.
- Box 17: Study/image/note files, continued.
- 17.1 Study file: Tibet Foundation, serials,
Study file: Travel brochures, 1972, by TWA
- 17.3 Study file: Photos of Iran, many from an exhibit
- 17.4 Study file: Chinese jades, Ching Dynasty, file
1 of 3
- 17.5 Study file:
Chinese jades, Ching Dynasty, file 2 of 3
- 17.6 Study file: Chinese jades, Ching Dynasty, file 3 of 3
- 17.7 Study file: Chinese jades, misc.
- 17.8 Study file: Greece,
Crete, Cyprus (chronologies, etc.)
- 17.9 Study file: Jemdat Nasr, Khafaje; reading notes, data (object) tabulation
- 17.10 Study file: Tepe
Gawra, data summary, Ubaid period.
- 17.11 Study file: Tel Khafaje, data summary, Early Dynastic Period
- 17.12 Study file: Naga tribes, study
- 17.13 Study file:
Toda and Kota peoples of South India, notes, references
- 17.14 Study file: Turkey, chronology, sites of Catal Huyuk,
- 17.15 Study file:
Mystic Seaport, film on Shaefers Spouter Tavern
- 17.16 Study file: Auction of the Mecklenburg Collection (Iron Age,
- 17.17 Study file:
- 17.18 Study file: North Carolina Archaeological Society
- 17.19 Study file: Asian sculpture, misc.
- 17.20 Study file: varia on Vinca (book
ad) and Xingu (photocopies from book)
- 17.21 Study file: Pre-Columbian Art, Emmerich Collection/Exhibit
- 17.22 Study file: New York Historical
Study file: Sales/auctions
- 17.24 Study file: British Columbia, jade objects
- 17.25 Study file: Cambodia, sculpture
- 17.26 Study file: Early Christian Art from Armenia
- 17.27 Study file:
Polonnaruwa (South or Southeast Asia)
- 17.28 Study file: Misc maps and notes on Turkestan and Ancient Near East
environment; Khafaje 1933, Pumpelly 1905, Arpachiyah 1933
- 17.29 Study file: USSR various brochures in English
from 1959 (New York exhibition)
- 17.30 Study file: Vienna, Institut fkerkunde
- 17.31 Study file: Waterloo, Battle of A brochure
describing a model at the Royal United Service Museum, 1909.
- 17.32 Study file: World War II: Far East A list of
Study file: Switzerland; brochure, postcard
- 17.34 Study file: ms Valley of the Tombs of the Kings; in a file labeled Tombs
Study file: Trains, model Brochure by Lionel
- 17.36 Study file: Uzbeq language, WAF notes.
- 17.37 Study file: Yale University Art Gallery
handouts (?) or publications: An Exhibition of Chinese Antiquities from Chang-sha,
Weaving Techniques 1944; The Rebecca Darlington Stoddard Collection of Greek and Italian
Vases (nd); gerasa, City of Decapolis 1944.
- 17.38 Study file: a brochure from the Rosicrucian Egyptian, oriental Museum.
- 17.39 Study file: negatives
and prints, image of a medal (?)
- 17.40 Study file: Peshawar Museum; photos of two metal objects.
- 17.41 Study file: Snakes, Afghanistan.
Actually, two pamphlets about snaked bites and antisnakebite serum; photos of a snake
found in Afghanistan [from WAF expedition?] and a letter/sale list of reptiles from
Thiele, Jr., importer/exporter of various livestock
- 17.42 Study file: Southwest Africa archaeology; offprint with extra photos,
1950. Article by Hoesch, Steinzeit-Kunst in S-Afrika.
- 17.43 Study file: Opera acting (de-accessioned to Vassar
file: Duro Europus/jade knob of the Persian Soldier
- 17.45 Study file/Correspondence: Armenians. Includes
correspondence 1980-1989, information regarding the New Asia Hall at AMNH, Earthquake
relief fund and political issues.
- 17.46 Study file: varia photos of AMNH objects or archival images.
- 17.47 Study file: AMNH, African Hall 1965
- Box 18: Other peoples manuscripts and
grants: beginning of correspondence, from General Correspondence A through Agricultural.
- 18.1 NSF grants: An
Archeological [sic] Investigation of Pastoral Nomadism in Iranian Baluchistan by J.T.
Marucheck (G.W. Hume adviser), (n.d.); Archaeological Investigation of the Predynastic
Egypt, by K.A. Bard 1989; Archaeological and Metallurgical Investigations in the Central
Kerman Range, Southeastern Iran, by Caldwell and Lamberg-Karlovsky 1965.
- 18.2 NSF grant by R.R.B. Kearton, and
a review by WAF, 1967.
- 18.3 Grant application to the American Philosophical Society, Radiocarbon
Determinations from Rehman Dheri, Pakistan, by Gregory L. Possehl and review by WAF
- 18.4 Grant
application to the National Science Foundation, Archaeological Excavations at the
Seaport of Balakot, Pakistan: Fourth Season, by George F. Dales, (submitted 1975/6?).
report of the third season (1975) at Balakot.
- 18.5 Grant proposal to the National Science Foundation, An Archaeological
Investigation of the Cultural Transition from Christianity to Islam in Nubia by William
- 18.6 Grant
proposals to the National Endowment for the Humanities by John Fritz: Vijayanagara:
Center and the Hindu Concept of Kingship, 1983; Vijayanagara: Embodyments of Kingship
Urban Form, Myth, and Literature, 1985.
- 18.7 No author and no date, typewritten ms, chapter IV from a thesis, Pastoral
Nomads and the Diffusion of the Neolithic.
- 18.8 Ms by Robert M. Adams, Unit V: The Origins of Urban Life, A
Tentative Outline of a Trial Unit on the Origins of Urban Life in Ancient Mesopotamia,
aimed at the fifth grade level, 1963. WAF annotation in the upper right corner of
- 18.9 Mss by
D.T. Potts: The Zagros Frontier and the Problem of Relations Between the Iranian Plateau
Southern Mesopotamia in the Third Millennium B.C., Revised version of a paper read
XXVeme Recontre Assyriologique Internationale, July 1978; Towards an Integrated History
Culture Change in the Arabian Gulf Area: Notes on Dilmun, Makkan and the Economy of
Ancient Sumer, submitted for publication to the Journal of Oman Studies October 1978.
- 18.10 Survey reports of
areas in Saudi Arabia: D.T. Potts, A.S. Mughannum, J. Frye and D. Sanders, Preliminary
on the Seond Phase of the Eastern Province Survey 1977; D.T. Potts, The 1978 Cenral
Survey: The Ceramics and Stone Vessels.
- 18.11 Various mss by Gregory L. Possehl, file 1 of 2: no title or date, about
Quetta; Report of the Summer 1966 Field Work of the Quetta Archaeological Project;
Valley Prehistory (Jan. 1971); list of 14C dates of Rojdi and a synopsis of the Surkotada
sequence (Aug. 1986); An Harappan Outpost on the Amu Darya: Shortugai, why was it
Paper read at the Annual Meeting of the AAA Nov. 1991; The Sorath Harappan: A New
Regional Manifestation of the Indus Urban Phase, Paper presented at the 9th meeting
Western European Association for the Advancement of South Asian Archaeology, Venice
1987; Some Further Thoughts on Unicorns, for the Sri Krishna Deva Felicitation Volume,
August 1987; The Date of the Indus Urbanization: A Proposed Chronology for the Pre-Urban
Urban Harappan Phases, revision of a paper presented at the 11th meeting of the Western
European Association for the Advancement of South Asian Archaeology, Berlin, July
- 18.12 Various mss by
Gregory L. Possehl, file 2 of 2: with M. K. Dhavalikar, Subsistence Pattern of an
Community of Western India (n.d.); Discovering Ancient Indias Earliest Cities; the
first phase of
research, paper read at the American Institute of Indian Studies Conference, The Harappan
Civilization: A Contemporary Perspective, June 1979, Srinagar; with Y.M. Chitalwala,
Rissman, and G. Wagner, Excavations at Rojdi: 1982-83 (Nov. 1983), to be published
- 18.13 Ms. by
George F. Dales, The Ceramics of Mohenjo Daro, paper presented to the Conference on
US/USSR Archaeological Exchange, Peabody Museum, Harvard University, Nov. 1981.
- 18.14 Summary report on
the 5th season of excavation at Harappa, 1990. Written by J. Mark Kenoyer and distributed
George F. Dales.
Various papers presented at the Second US-USSR Symposium (ANSSSR-IREX Archaeological
Exchange Meetings, Samarkand) on the Archaeology of Macro-Societal Organization in
Western Asia, Sept. 1983: Norman Yoffee, Mesopotamian Interaction Spheres: Aspects
Macro-Societal Organization in Ancient Western Asia; Frank Hole, A Reassessment of
Neolithic Revolution; Gregory A. Johnson, System Scale and Decision-Making Organization:
Implications for Ethnology and Archaeology.
- 18.16 MA thesis by Nancy Ann Stenholm, An Inquiry into Past and
Present Agriculture in Palestine, University of Washington, 1966. (WAF was her thesis
at the University of Washington.)
- 18.17 Ms by J.P. Joshi, summary of the paper Fresh Light on Archaeology of
Kutch, presented at the 59th session of the All-India Numismatic Conference- 4th Annual
Congress of the Indian Archaeological Society, Nagpur University, Nov. 1970.
- 18.18 Report by Claude A. Vaucher,
Franco-Cantarian Palaeolithic Survey, A report of the summer 1960 field investigations
undertaken in Southwestern France and Northern Spain under the auspices of the Australian
Institute of Archaeology and the University of Washington, Spring 1961.
- 18.19 Pande, B.M. unpublished ms 1979,
History of Research on the Harappan Culture, presented at the Seminar on the Harappan
Civilization in Srinagar, 22-24 June 1979.
- 18.20 Mss by various Russian authors: Development of Civilization as a
Socio-Economic and Cultural Process by V.M. Masson (n.d.); Typology of Ancient Settlements
and Socio-Economic Reconstruction of Ancient Society (a case study of sites in the
Oasis) by I.S. Masimov; The Development of Urbanized Cultures in Tajikistan and the
of Cultural Ties by N.N. Negmatov; and a translation of the Introduction to the original
Altyn-Depe Report, written by V.M. Masson, translated by HNM.
- 18.21 Short paper by J.R. Caldwell, L.L. Bowles, and
S.M. Shahmirsadi, Occurrence of Copper Ores in the Persian Plateau, with a map and
into Persian (?)
Unpublished report (and cover letter) from Parveen Talpur on Indus button seals and
engraved seal-amulets, 1992.
- 18.23 Letters from Vassar Students to WAF, 1980-1987, file 1 of 2. (De-accessioned to
Vassar College, 1/07)
Letters from Vassar Students to WAF, 1980-1987, file 2 of 2. (De-accessioned to Vassar
Handwritten notes from publications regarding village life; original file labeled
[Hoffman?] Village Study.
- 18.26 General A correspondence, 1962-1979. Highlights: Mrs. Daniel P. Adams
regarding a collection of slides belonging to her father (1972), Mr. Eugene Jackson
various permissions to reproduce images from WAF publications; statement from the
Oriental Society regarding the formation of a Sanskrit and Related Studies Council
- 18.27 Correspondence with
Barbara Adams, Egyptologist at University College London, member of the Hierakonpolis
1981-1991. Also, a copy of the Friends of the Petrie Museum Newsletter, Autumn/Winter
1990-91, with a piece , In Memoriam: Michael Alen Hoffman.
- 18.28 Correspondence with Robert McC. Adams,
- 18.29 Various
address lists from conferences, and a few mailing labels.
- 18.30 Correspondence relating to Afghan hounds, 1952.
- 18.31 Correspondence
with D.P. Agrawal, 1963-1979.
- 18.32 Correspondence with R.C. Agrawala, 1965-1986.
- 18.33 Correspondence with the Agricultural
Development Council, Inc. (New York) and a grant application (blank), 1965.
- 18.34 Brochures and letter from the Air
and Marine Travel Service, 1962-63.
- 18.35 Correspondence with W.F. Albright, abstract of a paper by Albright (Man
and Water in the History of the Ancient East), and Albrights obituary, 1952-1970.
- 18.36 Correspondence with Leslie
Correspondence about Jennifer Alden (intern at AMNH), 1976-1978.
- 18.38 Correspondence with H. Peter Aleff
(interested in decipherment of script), 1984.
- 18.39 Correspondence regarding the Allahdino Project, 1983-1991.
- 18.40 Correspondence with
F.R. Allchin, 1962-1990.
- 18.41 Correspondence with and Newsletters from the American Institute of Iranian
Study file: Southwest Africa archaeology; offprint with extra photos, 1950. Article
Steinzeit-Kunst in S-Afrika.
- 18.43 Study file: Opera acting (de-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07).
- 18.44 Study file: Duro Europus/jade
knob of the Persian Soldier
- 18.45 Study file/Correspondence: Armenians. Includes correspondence 1980-1989,
information regarding the New Asia Hall at AMNH, Earthquake relief fund and political
- 18.46 Study file: varia
photos of AMNH objects or archival images.
- 18.47 Study file: AMNH, African Hall 1965
- Box 19: Correspondence from American through Burke.
- 19.1 Correspondence with the
American Museum of Natural History (New York), including memos, loan lists, joint
- 19.2 Correspondence and financial accounts for the Hierakonpolis Project with the
American Museum of Natural History, New York, 1977-1981.
- 19.3 Correspondence, grant application and report to the
American Philosophical Society, 1976-1988.
- 19.4 Correspondence, newsletters, and financial records regarding the
American School of Archaeology in Pakistan, 1984-1987.
- 19.5 Newsletter and WAF membership card, with the American
Schools of Oriental Research, 1967.
- 19.6 Correspondence, memos, programs, brochures, of the Archaeological
Institute of America, 1962-1964.
- 19.7 Correspondence with the Archaeological Survey of India, 1962-1977.
- 19.8 Correspondence with and a book
review for Archaeology Magazine, 1968-1980.
- 19.9 Correspondence with the U.S. Army Map Service, 1953-1962.
- 19.10 Correspondence
with Kenichi Asano, Jakarta Bureau Chief, Kyodo News Service, 1991, re: Solo man skull
WAFs contention that Peking Man material must be in Japan. Copies of Asanos articles
Correspondence with the Asia Foundation, re: Indo-Pakistan Archaeological Liaison
Correspondence with and Newsletters from The Asia Society, 1969-1985.
- 19.13 Correspondence with Phillips Talbot,
1970-1980, president of The Asia Society.
- 19.14 Correspondence regarding an Association for Asian Dance, 1977-78 (an
offshoot from Committee on Research in Dance).
- 19.15 Correspondence regarding a visit by Dr. Shashi Asthana to the US,
Correspondence, general B, 1953-1991.
- 19.17 Correspondence with Franz Babinger, 1950.
- 19.18 Correspondence with Edward Bacon,
1961-1976. Re: book agreement.
- 19.19 Correspondence with Klaus Baer, 1978-1988
- 19.20 Correspondence with C.M. Baker, 1983-1986.
- 19.21 Correspondence with Thomas S.
Barthel, 1983 re: Harappan script. Includes an offprint by Barthel (1984).
- 19.22 Correspondence with A.L. Basham,
Correspondence with Mona (Mrs. Thomas) Beddall, Burke Memorial Washington State
Correspondence with Marcella Bedford, 1974.
- 19.25 Correspondence with William Benton, Publisher, Encyclopaedia
Britannica, 1953-1978, (cousin of WAF).
- 19.26 Letter and booklet from Bharat Jhunjhunwala, The Rhythm of History,
Correspondence with Judy Birmingham, 1966-1968.
- 19.28 Letter from Jennifer Black (one of WAFs Vassar students)
and a recommendation by WAF.
- 19.29 Correspondence with Shirley Blancke, 1962-75 re: various Indus topics, PhD
possibilities at Harvard.
- 19.30 Correspondence with Hans Bobek, 1964-1976.
- 19.31 Correspondence with Boeing Aerospace Group re:
workshop about an institute for world or national needs, 1972.
- 19.32 Correspondence with the Bollinger Foundation, re:
WAF correspondence regarding book orders, 1972-1976.
- 19.34 WAF letters and short mss, re: book reviews, 1970-1980.
- 19.35 Correspondence
with Ellie Bookwalter (WAF student from Vassar), 1972-1975. (De-accessioned to Vassar
Correspondence with Vivian and Irene Bose, re: collections for AMNH (British-India),
anthropological work with the Rabari (nomads in Gujarat, India), 1970-1976.
- 19.37 Photos, correspondence, and notes from
Vivian Bose, 1970-1980, re; his work with the Ribari.
- 19.38 Vivian Boses manuscript on the Ribari, with some notes
and correspondence, 1970-1971.
- 19.39 Correspondence with Dietrich von Bothmer 1975.
- 19.40 Correspondence with the Boy Scouts of America,
Chief Seattle Council 1965-66; also copies of their newsletter from 1968.
- 19.41 Correspondence with R. J. Braidwood
Correspondence with J. Brandt 1975-1976.
- 19.43 Correspondence with B. Bronson 1974-78; also, newsletter of the
Association for the Advancement of Asian Archaeology, Midwestern Branch, issues 1-6.
- 19.44 Correspondence
with James Brown Associates, Inc. (publisher), 1964-1985. James Brown eventually
with Curtis Brown publishers.
- 19.45 Correspondence with R. Brunswig 1974-1977.
- 19.46 Correspondence with B. Buchanan 1956-1958.
- 19.47 Correspondence
with Burdett Company, Textbook publishers 1953-1955.
- Box 20: Correspondence from Burrow through Emerson.
- 20.1 Correspondence with T. Burrow
Correspondence with C. Buys 1978. Also, unpublished student paper.
- 20.3 Correspondence general C, 1953-1988.
- 20.4 Correspondence with
J. Caldwell 1966-1967.
- 20.5 Correspondence with R. Caldwell (and others at the Department of State) 1962-63.
- 20.6 Correspondence with
A. Cameron, A.A. Knopf publishers.1976-1979.
- 20.7 Correspondence with M. Cappieri 1967-1973.
- 20.8 Correspondence , test results, brochures
regarding Carbon-14 testing 1962-64.
- 20.9 Correspondence with O. Cary, 1974, and offprint, Mr. Stimsons Pet
CityThe Sparing of Kyoto, 1945.
- 20.10 Correspondence with J.-M. Casal 1972-77.
- 20.11 Correspondence with B.B. Chakravorty 1991.
Also, offprint, Indus ScriptThe Artistic Version of Brahmi.
- 20.12 Correspondence with K.C. Chang, 1962-1991.
- 20.13 Correspondence
with V.G. Childe 1956.
- 20.14 Correspondence, brochures, pamphlets regarding children's books.
- 20.15 Correspondence with China
Institute, 1963 (pavilion at Worlds Fair), 1971, 1976 (50th Anniversary)
- 20.16 Correspondence with S. (Naylor) Chu, Bay
Area China Education Project 1975-76.
- 20.17 Correspondence with J. Cleland 1977-1979.
- 20.18 Correspondence with M. Cohen, 1973-75,
and a report on his summer internship at AMNH.
- 20.19 Correspondence with R. J. Cohen 1979-89. Also, grant application.
- 20.20 Correspondence
with M. Collier 1963.
- 20.21 Correspondence with Colliers Magazine 1951.
- 20.22 Correspondence regarding conference on the
Harappan Civilization to be sponsored by the NY Academy of Sciences, 1973.
- 20.23 Correspondence with Cornell
University Press 1970-1982.
- 20.24 Correspondence with Cosmos Travel 1962-1964.
- 20.25 Correspondence with Crowell publishers
1961-1963; reviews as well.
- 20.26 Correspondence with Crowell-Collier Publishing 1961-62; copy of ms as well
(definition of archaeology for young people).
- 20.27 Correspondence with J. Cuddihy 1973.
- 20.28 Correspondence with R. Curiel 1956-57.
- 20.29 Correspondence
with Current Anthropology 1967.
- 20.30 Correspondence general D, 1970-1983.
- 20.31 Correspondence with G. Dales 1963-1992.
- 20.32 Correspondence ,
grant applications and reviews, G. Dales, 1964-1978.
- 20.33 Excavations at Balakot, Pakistan, Fourth Season 1976,
Preliminary Report by G. F. Dales, 1977.
- 20.34 Correspondence , brochure, report Asian Dance Council, 1977-78.
- 20.35 Correspondence,
newspaper articles, APS grant, A.H. Dani, 1962-1977.
- 20.36 Correspondence with K. Das 1962.
- 20.37 Correspondence with R. Davis
1974-1977 and others regarding his borrowing of some of Dupree's Mousterian collection
Afghanistan; also, ms by Davis The Paleolithic of Afghanistan, 1975.
- 20.38 Correspondence with B. DeCardi
Correspondence , information from the Department of Health, Education and Welfare
- 20.40 Correspondence
with M.N. Deshpande 1976-1978.
- 20.41 Correspondence with K. Dobbins 1967-1975.
- 20.42 Correspondence with A. Donaldson
Correspondence , NSF proposal from J. Downs 1962-1969.
- 20.44 Correspondence with L. Dupree 1953-1979; also,
correspondence regarding Dupree memorial volume, 1989-1991. Copy of Duprees CV.
- 20.45 Correspondence
with F. A. Durrani 1967-1968.
- 20.46 Correspondence with R. Dyson 1956-1992.
- 20.47 Correspondence general E 1964-1983.
- Box 21: Correspondence E through Hutchins
- 21.1 Correspondence with B. Erda
Correspondence with G. Erdosy 1989-1992.
- 21.3 Correspondence, notices, brochures, film descriptions, re: Ethnographic
Correspondence general F, 1968-1991.
- 21.5 Correspondence, notices re: WAFs speaking engagements and interviews
Correspondence, mss relating to WAFs view of curatorship 1987-1992 (includes a 1988
Correspondence regarding WAFs grievance with AMNH 1987-1991.
- 21.8 Correspondence, editorials by WAF re:
Museum of the American Indian move, 1988-1989.
- 21.9 Correspondence with H. Fenkl 1983-1984.
- 21.10 Correspondence with M.
Correspondence with H. Field 1956-1970.
- 21.12 Correspondence with K. Fischer 1962.
- 21.13 Correspondence with L. Flam 1968-1992.
- 21.14 Correspondence to
grant foundations, 1976.
- 21.15 Correspondence with U. Franke [Vogt], 1985-1986, with Ph.D. project proposal,
and ms on bangles.
Correspondence with J. Fraser 1975-1978.
- 21.17 Correspondence with D. Fromkin 1978-1991.
- 21.18 Correspondence , brochure about the
Fulbright Program 1967-1968.
- 21.19 Correspondence regarding fund-raising for the Department of Archaeology,
Correspondence, general, G 1968-1992.
- 21.21 Correspondence with C. Gallenkamp 1982.
- 21.22 Correspondence with B. Gargi 1964-1987
- 21.23 Correspondence
with I.J. Gelb.1976-1980.
- 21.24 Correspondence with J. Geller 1985-1990. Also, CV and ms.
- 21.25 Correspondence with R. Ghirshman
Correspondence with A. Ghosh, 1961-1968 (also a list of sites in WAF handwriting,
Correspondence with D. Gillin re: an exhibit, American on China 1977.
- 21.28 Correspondence with M. Gimbutas
1963; CV as well.
Correspondence with L.C. Goodrich 1955-1971.
- 21.30 Correspondence with D.H. Gordon 1952-1956.
- 21.31 Correspondence with R. Greengo with
project proposal and ms.
- 21.32 Correspondence with S. Gruber 1981-1989.
- 21.33 Correspondence, general, H 1967-1989.
- 21.34 Correspondence with L.
Correspondence with N. Hammond 1976-1989.
- 21.36 Correspondence with H. Hamroush 1990-1991.
- 21.37 Correspondence with G. Hanfmann
Correspondence with H. Hao-tien 1975.
- 21.39 Correspondence , book proposal regarding WAFs research on the
Correspondence with A. Haque 1965 (Director Geological Survey of Pakistan), 1965.
- 21.41 Correspondence
with F. Harlan 1980-1985.
- 21.42 Correspondence with J. Harlan 1983-1984.
- 21.43 Correspondence with E. Harriman 1988.
- 21.44 Correspondence with R. Harris
- 21.45 Brochures,
maps, postcards of the Harvard Club, NY and the Peabody Museum, Harvard University.
- 21.46 Correspondence
with F.A. Hassan 1979; grant proposal as well.
- 21.47 Correspondence with R. Heine-Geldern 1951-1968.
- 21.48 Correspondence with K. Heuer
1962-1982; bio as well.
- 21.49 Correspondence regarding the Hierakonpolis project, 1979-1985.
- 21.50 Correspondence with M.
Manuscript, reminiscences for the Hoffman Festschrift.
- 21.52 Correspondence with F. Hole 1968-1971.
- 21.53 Correspondence with J. Hopkins
Correspondence with G. Hume 1974-1976.
- 21.55 Newspaper articles, R.M. Hutchins, UChicago student magazine
- Box 22: Correspondence,
general I through general M.
- 22.1 Correspondence, general, I 1962-1976.
- 22.2 Correspondence with A. Imamura 1976-1978.
- 22.3 Correspondence with F. Ingraham
Correspondence with International Importing and Exporting Co. 1972.
- 22.5 Correspondence regarding 1968 conference in
- 22.6 Correspondence
with Iranian Institute of America 1940-1943.
- 22.7 Correspondence with Istituto Italiano per il Medio ed Estremo Oriente
Correspondence, general, J 1961-1979.
- 22.9 Correspondence with J. and D. Jacobson 1963-1990.
- 22.10 Correspondence with A.
- 22.11 Correspondence with Japan Society Inc. 1971-1979.
- 22.12 Correspondence with J.-F. Jarrige 1977-1988.
- 22.13 Correspondence
with JDR 3rd Fund 1972-1979.
- 22.14 Correspondence, general, K 1950-1991.
- 22.15 Correspondence with S. Kak 1987-1991.
- 22.16 Correspondence with S.
- 22.17 Correspondence with A. and T. (Beck) Kehoe 1972-1988. Also ms by A. Beck,
AAA session organized by T. Kehoe, 1988.
- 22.18 Correspondence with L.D. Kelsey 1951-1974.
- 22.19 Correspondence with L. Kendall 1983-1985.
- 22.20 Correspondence
with K.A.R. Kennedy 1973-1991.
- 22.21 Correspondence with J.M. Kenoyer 1978-1991. Includes correspondence
regarding the 1986 Madison conference, and WAF annotated copies of JMK mss.
- 22.22 Correspondence with F.A. Khan
Correspondence with K. Knaus 1962-1963.
- 22.24 Correspondence with G. Knodel 1976.
- 22.25 Correspondence with Knopf Inc, publishers
Correspondence with G. vonKoenigswald 1966.
- 22.27 Correspondence with P. Kohl 1983-1987.
- 22.28 Correspondence with L. Khofer 1962-1963.
- 22.29 Correspondence
with C.H. Kraeling 1952-1966.
- 22.30 Correspondence with S.N. Kramer 1963-1982.
- 22.31 Correspondence with S. Kramisch 1976.
- 22.32 Correspondence
with P. Kunhikannan 1976-1979.
- 22.33 Correspondence, general L 1952-1979.
- 22.34 Correspondence with A. Lagaweir 1949-1965. Course
listings and pamphlets as well.
- 22.35 Correspondence with B.B. Lal 1957-1991.
- 22.36 Correspondence regarding B.B. Lals proposal for a
research institute in India, 1966-1967.
- 22.37 Correspondence with C.C. Lamberg-Karlovsky 1968-1987.
- 22.38 Correspondence with W.
Correspondence with B. Lapping 1987-1990. Includes a film proposal.
- 22.40 Correspondence with M. Lawyer 1974-1976.
- 22.41 Correspondence
with D. Lee 1971-1973.
- 22.42 Correspondence with B. LeRoy 1963-1972.
- 22.43 Correspondence with L.S. Leshnik 1968-1975.
- 22.44 Correspondence
with L. Lewis 1981-1982.
- 22.45 Correspondence with R.C. Liimatainen 1968-1976.
- 22.46 Correspondence with K.J. Linser 1977.
- 22.47 Correspondence
with Lipton 1978-79.
Correspondence with Litvinskii 1972-1973.
- 22.49 Correspondence with Y.-P. Liu 1975-1976.
- 22.50 Correspondence with J.E. van Lohuizen-deLeeuw
Correspondence re: WAF London trip 1964.
- 22.52 Correspondence regarding the Ph.D. of D. Lubell 1968-1971.
- 22.53 Correspondence
with J. Lukacs 1985-86.
- 22.54 Correspondence with B. Lyonnet 1987-1988.
- 22.55 Correspondence, general, M 1953-1991.
- Box 23: Correspondence from MacLellam through
- 23.1 Correspondence
with G. MacLellan 1962-1966.
- 23.2 Correspondence regarding the Macmillan Archaeology Series 1962-1965, file 1 of
- 23.3 Correspondence
regarding the Macmillan Archaeology Series 1962-1965, file 2 of 2.
- 23.4 Correspondence with Macmillan Publishing
re: WAF book, 1965-1974.
- 23.5 Correspondence with Macmillan Publishing 1974-1979.
- 23.6 Correspondence with S. Magill 1982-1986.
- 23.7 Correspondence with
I. Mahadevan 1977-1990.
- 23.8 Correspondence with J.-P. Maitre 1974-1978.
- 23.9 Correspondence with J. Majer 1992.
- 23.10 Correspondence with D. Mann 1971-74.
- 23.11 Correspondence
with J. Maringer 1956-1963.
- 23.12 Correspondence with A. Marshack 1973-1976.
- 23.13 Correspondence with O. Maschke 1964-1966.
- 23.14 Correspondence
with V.M. Masson 1964-1973.
- 23.15 Correspondence with D. McAlpin 1977-1993.
- 23.16 Correspondence with M. Mead 1965-1977.
- 23.17 Correspondence with R.H.
Correspondence with J.P. Mencher 1962-1975.
- 23.19 Correspondence with R. Metraux 1987-1989.
- 23.20 Correspondence with Metropolitan
Museum of Art 1970-1980.
- 23.21 Correspondence with J. Miller.
- 23.22 Correspondence with S. Minton 1961-1969.
- 23.23 Correspondence with V.N. Misra
Correspondence with C.A. Moberg 1963-1969.
- 23.25 Correspondence with Monarchist League 1969.
- 23.26 Correspondence, notes regarding
Mongolia research 1968-1984.
- 23.27 Correspondence and ms regarding the Mongolia Society 1962-64.
- 23.28 Correspondence with B.
Correspondence with J. Mott re: Bose Collection 1970.
- 23.30 Correspondence with M.R. Mughal 1965-1991.
- 23.31 Correspondence
with Myers Autographs 1962-1976.
- 23.32 Correspondence , general N. 1963-1980.
- 23.33 Correspondence with K. Narr 1971.
- 23.34 Correspondence with National
Endowment for the Humanities, 1983, re: reviewing a proposal.
- 23.35 Correspondence with National Geographic Society
Correspondence, reviews, and publications, National Science Foundation 1968-1975.
- 23.37 Correspondence
with Natural History Magazine 1950, 1970-1989.
- 23.38 Correspondence and proposal to Natural History Press 1966-1975
re: Book of Dates.
Correspondence and receipts regarding lecture at University Nebraska 1974.
- 23.40 Correspondence with R. Neufville
Correspondence with New America Library 1961-1967.
- 23.42 Correspondence with J. Newberry 1986.
- 23.43 Correspondence with T.
- 23.44 Correspondence with T. Norbu 1971-1974.
- 23.45 Correspondence with K.R. Norman 1983.
- 23.46 Correspondence and a list
regarding Novitates article 1967.
Correspondence, general, O 19609-1986
- 23.49 Correspondence with D. ODonnell 1964-1974.
- 23.50 Correspondence with Oriental Institute,
University of Chicago 1940-1948.
- 23.51 Correspondence with G. Oswald 1975-1976.
- 23.52 Correspondence with Oxford University
Correspondence with Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. 1988-1992.
- 23.54 Correspondence general P 1962-1992.
- 23.55 Correspondence
with Pakistan Zoological Enterprises 1970.
- 23.56 Correspondence with B.M. Pande 1970-1982.
- 23.57 Correspondence with R. Paris-Steffens
Correspondence with A. Parpola 1973-1992.
- 23.59 Correspondence with Peabody Museum 1984-89 re: accession
1989-17 (includes original copy of the Deed of Gift.
- 23.60 Correspondence with E. Pearce 1959.
- 23.61 Correspondence and memos regarding
WAFs search for the skulls of Peking Man and Java Man 1946-1947.
- 23.62 Correspondence with A. Perkins 1952-1961.
- 23.63 Correspondence
with W. Pierce 1963.
Correspondence with S. Piggott 1952-1957
- 23.65 Correspondence with S. Porter 1965-1977
- Box 24: Correspondence from Possehl through Smithsonian,
Correspondence with G. Possehl 1966-1971
- 24.2 Correspondence with G. Possehl 1972-1991.
- 24.3 Correspondence with D. Potts 1980
- 24.4 Correspondence with
Pratt Institute 1976-1978
- 24.5 Correspondence with I. Puskas 1981-1985.
- 24.6 Correspondence general Q, 1974-1978
- 24.7 Correspondence with Quarterly Review
of Archaeology 1983-1985.
- 24.8 Correspondence with G. Quimbly re: Yoder Collection, other.
- 24.9 Correspondence with M.A. Qureshi 1979
- 24.10 Correspondence,
general R 1968-1985
Correspondence with R. Rangamoorthy, critique of WAF script readings 1981.
- 24.12 Correspondence with Rashtriya
Veda Vidya Pratishthan 1989.
- 24.13 Correspondence with S.R. Rao 1962-1977.
- 24.14 Correspondence with C. Reed 1961-1979
- 24.15 Correspondence with E. Reifler
1963, and mss.
Correspondence with E. Reistroffer 1985-1990
- 24.17 Correspondence with B. Reynolds 1988
- 24.18 Correspondence with L. Richards 1965-1969.
- 24.19 Correspondence
with P. Rissman 1983-1988
- 24.20 Correspondence with Rudi Oriental Arts 1963.
- 24.21 Correspondence with M.L. Ryder 1962-1970.
- 24.22 Correspondence
general L 1953-1987
Correspondence with H.D. Sankalia 1961-1989
- 24.24 Correspondence with V. Sarianidi 1965-1984
- 24.25 Correspondence with D. Schlumberger
Correspondence with S. (Matheson) Schofield 1969-1991.
- 24.27 Correspondence with C. Schuster 1964-1968.
- 24.28 Correspondence with J.
Schwartzberg, South Asia Historical Atlas Project 1966-1969. See also files in box
25 for South
Asia Historical Atlas 1966-1971 and 1975-1990.
- 24.29 Correspondence with Scientific American 1982-1983
- 24.30 Correspondence with Scribners
- 24.31 Correspondence with Scribners Publishers 1968-1977
- 24.32 Correspondence with Scribners Publishers
1967-69, re: Dictionary of Prehistory. Including correspondents D. Schmidt, S. Blanke.
- 24.33 Correspondence
with Seattle Science Center 1963-1964
- 24.34 Correspondence with Seattle Zoological Society 1967-1973; including
meeting minutes, report, newspaper article.
- 24.35 Newsletters, membership notices for the Seattle Zoological Society.
- 24.36 Correspondence
with F. Sethna, Metropole Hotel 1979-1983.
- 24.37 Correspondence with J. Shaffer 1969-1977.
- 24.38 Correspondence, grant copies from J.
Correspondence with C.H. Shaikh 1964.
- 24.40 Correspondence with W. Shannon 1962-1963.
- 24.41 Correspondence with H.L. Shapiro
Correspondence with B.N. Sharma 1976.
- 24.43 Correspondence with C. Shartzer 1981-1982.
- 24.44 Correspondence with R. Shuttler 1978-1979.
- 24.45 Correspondence
with Silver Burdett Publishers 1953-1954.
- 24.46 Correspondence with P. Simon 1960-1962.
- 24.47 Correspondence with W.K. Simpson 1953-1992.
- 24.48 Correspondence
with Smithsonian Institution Foreign Currency Program 1965(?)-1977; includes research
proposal and receipts.
- 24.49 Correspondence with Smithsonian Institution Foreign Currency Program
1969-1974; includes grant applications for review.
- 24.50 Correspondence with Oriental Institute, University of
Correspondence with G. Oswald 1975-1976.
- 24.52 Correspondence with Oxford University Press 1978.
- 24.53 Correspondence with Oxford
and IBH Publishing Co. 1988-1992.
- 24.54 Correspondence general P 1962-1992.
- 24.55 Correspondence with Pakistan Zoological
Correspondence with B.M. Pande 1970-1982.
- 24.57 Correspondence with R. Paris-Steffens 1975-1977.
- 24.58 Correspondence with A. Parpola
Correspondence with Peabody Museum 1984-89 re: accession 1989-17 (includes original
of the Deed of Gift.
Correspondence with E. Pearce 1959.
- 24.61 Correspondence and memos regarding WAFs search for the skulls of
Peking Man and Java Man 1946-1947.
- 24.62 Correspondence with A. Perkins 1952-1961.
- 24.63 Correspondence with W. Pierce 1963.
- 24.64 Correspondence
with S. Piggott 1952-1957
- 24.65 Correspondence with S. Porter 1965-1977
- Box 25: Correspondence from Smithsonian 1983-84 through U.S.
Department of State.
Correspondence with Smithsonian Institution 1983-84; includes grant review.
- 25.2 Correspondence, notes,
newsletter, photos of the Society for Harappan Studies 1984-1992.
- 25.3 Correspondence with R. Solecki 1961-1975.
- 25.4 Correspondence with
W.G. Solheim 1962-1978.
- 25.5 Correspondence, quarterly reports, notes etc. South Asia Historical Atlas project
1966-1971. See also file in box 24, correspondence with J. Schwartzberg.
- 25.6 Correspondence , quarterly reports, notes
etc. South Asia Historical Atlas project 1972-1978.
- 25.7 Correspondence with F.C. Southworth 1975-1990.
- 25.8 Various manuscripts
by F.C. Southworth.
Correspondence with J. Spellman 1963-1976.
- 25.10 Correspondence with L. Spier 1953 re: submission to Southwestern
Journal of Anthropology. Ms included.
- 25.11 Correspondence with D. Srinivasan 1979-1980 re: Mathura Conference.
- 25.12 Correspondence
with C. Stagg 1958-1974 (literary agent at Lester Lewis Associates).
- 25.13 Correspondence with K. Starr 1968-1974.
- 25.14 Correspondence
with N. Stenholm 1964-1976.
- 25.15 Correspondence with Strelsin Fund 1977-1980; includes memos and receipts.
- 25.16 Correspondence
with B. Subbarao 1957-1963.
- 25.17 Correspondence with Y. Subbarayalu 1985.
- 25.18 Correspondence with W. Sumner 1991.
- 25.19 Correspondence with W.
Correspondence, general T 1962-1982.
- 25.21 Correspondence with P. Talpur 1990-1992.
- 25.22 Correspondence with C. Taylor 1990-1991: re:
publication of The Fourth River.
- 25.23 Correspondence with O. Tellefsen 1970-1978.
- 25.24 Correspondence with Thames and Hudson
Publishers 1961-1963; includes ms and Illustrated London News [material removed to
- 25.25 Correspondence
with B.K. Thapar 1962-1976.
- 25.26 Correspondence with M. Thatcher 1974-1978 re: Cambridge South Asian Archive
and the Bose papers.
Correspondence with D.H. Thomas 1977-1978.
- 25.28 Correspondence with Friends of Tibet 1966-1968.
- 25.29 Correspondence , appeals,
brochures from the Tibetan Foundation 1969-1976.
- 25.30 Correspondence , appeals, brochures from the Tibetan
Foundation 1977-1980, and undated.
- 25.31 Correspondence with S.P. Tolstov 1962-1963.
- 25.32 Correspondence with Royal Ontario
Museum, Toronto 1968.
- 25.33 Correspondence with M. Tosi 1978-1986.
- 25.34 Correspondence with T.R. Trautmann 1982-1992.
- 25.35 Correspondence
with J.M. Treistman 1962-1976.
- 25.36 Correspondence with B.G. Trigger 1971-1980.
- 25.37 Correspondence, page proofs of WAFs
contribution to the Tucci Felicitation Volume 1982-1984.
- 25.38 Correspondence with C. Turnbull 1961-1990.
- 25.39 Correspondence with P.
Turnbull re: Allahdino faunal remains. Includes original export license for the Allahdino
- 25.40 Correspondence
regarding turtles 1962-1964.
- 25.41 Correspondence, general U 1964-1977.
- 25.42 Correspondence with U.S. Air Force, Research Studies
Institute 1951. Includes reports.
- 25.43 Correspondence with US Department of State, US Embassy in Karachi and various
Pakistan authorities 1962-1967. Regarding trying to get permission for the Quetta
- Box 26: Correspondence from U.S.
Embassy through Zvelebil.
Correspondence with US Embassy Pakistan, 1959-1978 re: permissions for projects.
- 26.2 Correspondence with US
Government, Department of Health, Education and Welfare 1976, re: funding for Title
Language and Area Centers.
- 26.3 Correspondence with US military, Research and Development Board 1949.
- 26.4 Correspondence with
University of Chicago Press 1975-1984.
- 26.5 Correspondence, memos, course lists, CVs from the Department of
Anthropology, University of Washington 1962-1963.
- 26.6 Correspondence, memos from the Department of
Anthropology, University of Washington 1963-1966.
- 26.7 Correspondence, memos from the Near Eastern Committee,
University of Washington 1964-1966.
- 26.8 Correspondence, handbooks from the Indian Students Association,
University of Washington 1961-1966.
- 26.9 Correspondence with South Asia Committee, University of Washington
Correspondence , general, V 1961-1989.
- 26.11 Correspondence , memos, course outlines, Vassar College 1968-1976.
- 26.12 Correspondence
with Vassar College, varia, 1979-1986.
- 26.13 Correspondence with Vassar 1991-1993.
- 26.14 Correspondence with C.A. Vaucher 1963.
- 26.15 Correspondence,
hotel information regarding a trip to Vienna 1969.
- 26.16 Correspondence with Viking Press 1964.
- 26.17 Correspondence , general W
Correspondence with G.J. Wainwright 1962-1973.
- 26.19 Correspondence with E. Walters and family 1971-1991.
- 26.20 Correspondence
with L. Ward 1951-1959.
- 26.21 Correspondence with Wards Natural Science Establishment 1976.
- 26.22 Correspondence with K. Weeks
Correspondence with A. Weisman 1966-1967.
- 26.24 Correspondence with F. Wander 1969-1984.
- 26.25 Correspondence with Wenner-Gren
- 26.26 Correspondence with R.E..M. Wheeler 1952-1968.
- 26.27 Correspondence with M.G. White and A.H. Karma
re: Pakistan Geological Survey 1964-65.
- 26.28 Correspondence with R. White 1976-1979.
- 26.29 Correspondence with E. Willing 1954.
- 26.30 Correspondence
with The Wool Bureau 1955.
- 26.31 Correspondence with World Publishing Company 1960-1973.
- 26.32 Correspondence with Henry Wright
Correspondence with R. Wright 1980-1991.
- 26.34 Correspondence , general Y 1969-1974.
- 26.35 Correspondence with Yale University
regarding the position of Director of the Peabody Museum.
- 26.36 Correspondence with W. Yoder and varia regarding the
Correspondence with P. Yule 1981.
- 26.38 Correspondence, general Z.
- 26.39 Correspondence with F.E. Sooner 1962.
- 26.40 Correspondence with A. and N.
Correspondence with L. Zion 1984.
- 26.42 Correspondence with K.V. Zvelebil 1979-1992.
- 26.43 Correspondence with US Department of
State, US Embassy in Karachi and various Pakistan authorities 1962-1967. Regarding
get permission for the Quetta Project.
27: Mixed Files, all topics.
Illustrations, receipts, note cards, relating to various topics of interest to WAF
and from his
publications (illustrations of Baluchi material, probably published)
- 27.2 Worksheets and tabulations of object types
from Mohenjo-daro and Harappa.
- 27.3 An example of a WAF research tool, his tally sheet for objects used per site.
- 27.4 Data and illustrations
of Mohenjo-daro objects, including misc. photos.
- 27.5 Compiled tally sheet data from Tell Arpachiya, Halaf period.
- 27.6 Compiled tally sheet
data from Tell Hassuna.
- 27.7 Copies of various maps of Pakistan.
- 27.8 Program and handouts from the Sixth International Conference of
South Asian Archaeologist, 1981.
- 27.9 Correspondence (J.M. Kenoyer), program from the 1986 Wisconsin South Asia
- 27.10 Misc.
illustrations from various WAF publications.
- 27.11 Photo from WAFs Iran trip; B.M. Pande and V.D. Krishnaswamy?
- 27.12 Plan and notes for a
proposed museum exhibit gallery on the Greeks (1963).
- 27.13 Misc telegrams, receipts, notes from India, Pakistan and
- 27.14 B/W prints
from L. Flam, of artifacts from Lohomjo-daro and Judeirjo-daro.
- 27.15 Chronological sequence, India.
- 27.16 Notes for various WAF lectures;
adverts/tearsheets for WAF books, newspaper articles about WAF projects and other
projects; WAF letter to Editor, 1967.
- 27.17 Varia regarding WAF research on the Indus script (mainly illustrations).
- 27.18 Ms. By S.
Paranavitana, A Proposed Decipherment of the Indus Script.
- 27.19 WAF notes on Sites and Symbols, etc. (his file
- 27.20 WAF notes
and musings on Indus Script, including his work tools.
- 27.21 Notes and lists of Sumerian words and grammar.
- 27.22 Misc. regarding the
American Institute of Archaeology in Pakistan.
- 27.23 WAF list of 15 events in modern world history (de-accessioned to
Vassar College, 1/07).
- 27.24 WAF teaching, Vassar, projects for beginning classes, idea (de-accessioned to
Vassar College, 1/07)
WAF teaching, Vassar, Anthro. 219a, Ethno history of Japan (de-accessioned to Vassar
- 27.26 WAF teaching,
courses taught at NYU 1957-58 (de-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07).
- 27.27 WAF teaching, Vassar?, Anthro. 218b
something about Asian cultures (de-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07)
- 27.28 WAF teaching, University of
Washington, The Ritual Basis of Drama (De-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07)
- 27.29 WAF teaching, Vassar, 1984-85,
Anthro. 235b, Egypt (de-accessioned to Vassar College, 1/07).
- 27.30 Copies of various newspaper articles.
- 27.31 Copies of various newspaper
- 27.32 Misc. study
file material: Korea, Atrocities, newspaper articles on Asian culture, etc.
- 27.33 The American Museum of Natural
History, museum procedures for dealing with material (1965).
- 27.34 Newsletter, Pakistan, American Cultural Center,
UPENN Bulletin of South Asia Regional Studies 1949-50, 1950-51,
- 27.36 WAF study notes on Vedic Gods, Puranic
- 27.37 WAF study
notes Cognitive Structure.
- 27.38 Misc. images and photos, or world varia.
- 27.39 WAF photocopied pages from publications that WAF had
- 27.40 Study
file, Persian sculpture.
- 27.41 Study file, fashion, costume.
- 27.42 Study file, Iran architecture.
- Box 28 Note cards (5" x 7") of inscribed objects excavated from the site of
Mohenjo-daro. Images and data taken from the Mohenjo-daro publications, each card
photocopied image in the upper right corner, the location at the site where it was
what material the inscribed object is made from.
- Box 29 Note cards (5" x 7") of inscribed objects excavated from the site of
Mohenjo-daro. Images and data taken from the Mohenjo-daro publications. All of the
have a photocopied image in the upper right corner, and some are annotated with the
the site where it was found, and what material the inscribed object is made from.
have object numbers and a line drawing of the symbols depicted.
- Box 30 Note cards (5" x 7") of inscribed objects excavated from the site of
Harappa. Images and data taken from the Harappa publication, each card has a photocopied
image in the upper right corner, the location at the site where it was found, and
what material the
inscribed object is made from. However, not all cards have complete information (looks
many were never completed.
- Box 31: Note
cards (5" x 7") of a variety of items: Site cards from the 2nd Afghan Expedition
1950-51. A few cards with pencil drawings of sherds (from the 2nd Afghan Expedition?)
cards from WAFs 1959-60 Sindh and Baluchistan survey. Topical note cards of ethnic
(e.g., Armenians, Kachins).
- Box 32: Note cards
(5" x 7") on archaeological topics. By geographic area (e.g. Greece, Europe), by
time period (e.g.
Ming, Bronze Age), and by culture (Palaeolithic) or topic (sand dunes). These appear
to be notes
from lectures (or condensed from lectures and/or reading) while WAF was at Harvard.
- Box 33: Note cards (3" x 5") of reading notes.
Include: Jochelson 1928, "Archaeological Investigations in Kamchatka"; Pearse 1935
May"; and other notes from articles/books on the Turks, Turkomans, Persia, Central
- Box 34: Photos and Photo logs; b/w prints and
negatives—Stored with Dr. Richard Meadow (5/05)
- 34.1 Photo log from the 2nd Afghan Expedition; list of slides taken by
Joan Meniber [?].
Photograph data forms from the 2nd Afghan Expedition.
- 34.3 B/w prints of KiliGhul Mohammad excavations, 2nd
B/w prints, Damb Sadaat excavation photos, 2nd Afghan Expedition.
- 34.5 B/w prints, 2nd Afghan Expedition, small
- 34.6 Contact prints
mounted on acidic cards, 2nd Afghan Expedition, Roll 1.
- 34.7 Contact prints mounted on acidic cards, 2nd Afghan
Expedition, Roll 3 [no roll 2 found HJM].
- 34.8 Contact prints mounted on acidic cards, 2nd Afghan Expedition, Roll 4.
- 34.9 Contact prints
mounted on acidic cards, 2nd Afghan Expedition, Roll 5, and one sheet of negatives.
- 34.10 Contact prints mounted on
acidic cards, 2nd Afghan Expedition, Roll 6.
- 34.11 Contact prints mounted on acidic cards, 2nd Afghan Expedition,
- 34.12 Contact
prints mounted on acidic cards, 2nd Afghan Expedition, Roll 8.
- 34.13 Contact prints mounted on acidic cards, 2nd
Afghan Expedition, Roll 9.
- 34.14 Contact prints mounted on acidic cards, 2nd Afghan Expedition, Roll 21 [no rolls
10-20 found HJM].
Contact prints mounted on acidic cards, 2nd Afghan Expedition, Roll 23 [no roll 22
- 34.16 B/w prints of
ceramic sherds, Zhob-Loralai, 2nd Afghan Expedition.
- 34.17 B/w prints of ceramic sherds , Quetta, 2nd Afghan
- 34.18 B/w
prints, unknown valley and expedition.
- 34.19 B/w negatives and prints, Egypt.
- 34.20 B/w negatives, contact prints, Mohenjo-daro.
- 34.21 B/w prints, negatives and misc,
notes, varia Indian, Pakistan, and a photo from a conference at the Peabody Museum,
University (1st US-USSR Archaeological Conference, 1981), and in 1979, a conference
- 34.22 B/w
negatives and prints of inscribed objects, Harappan seal-amulets.
- 34.23 B/w negatives and prints from publications and
from other institutions.
- 34.24 B/w prints from a trip to the USSR (nd).
- 34.25 B/w prints, aerial photos of Las Bela (Pakistan), 1960
Expedition, file 1 of 2.
- 34.26 B/w prints, aerial photos of Las Bela (Pakistan), 1960 Expedition, file 2 of 2.
- Box 35: Black and White negatives and
prints continued, and color slides. Stored with Dr. Richard Meadow 5/05
- 35.1 B/w negatives, 1960 expedition.
- 35.2 B/w negatives and prints, 1st
Afghan Expedition 1949-1950.
- 35.3 Color slides 1st Afghan Expedition 1949-1950, rolls 1-10.
- 35.4 Color slides 1st Afghan Expedition
1949-1950, rolls A-E.
Color slides 1st Afghan Expedition 1949-1950, varia.
- 35.6 Color slides, petroglyphs, from either the 1st or 2nd Afghan
- 35.7 Color
slides, Color slides 1st Afghan Expedition 1949-1950, little info/varia.
- 35.8 B/w prints, Las Bela (Pakistan), 1960
- 35.9 B/w
prints, Las Bela ceramics (Pakistan), 1960 expedition.
- 35.10 B/w prints, Las Bela (Pakistan), 1960 Expedition.
- 35.11 B/w prints, 2nd
Afghan Expedition, misc.
- 35.12 Misc. b/w negatives.
- 35.14 Color slides, inscribed objects, sign lists, ivory sticks and symbols (from
- 35.15 Color
slides, odd format (1 inch by 1 inch) of Central America?
- 35.16 Color slides, Iran, Arabia, travel varia.
- 35.17 Color slides, Sindh Province (Pakistan),
1959 and 1962.
Color slides, South Asia, travel, 1959-1962.
- 35.19 Color slides, South Asia, travel 1964-1984.
- 35.20 Color slides, from the 1959-60 survey
(Sindh) probably lecture slides (incomplete?).
- 35.21 Color slides, misc. South Asia, Central Asia, Egypt.
- 35.22 Color slides, misc. from
- Box 36: Color
slides—Stored with Dr. Richard Meadow 5/05
- 36.1 Color slides, Egypt, various views including excavations at Hierakonpolis.
- 36.2 Color slides, Bronx
Zoo, and animals.
Color slides, Tibet.
Color slides, 1974 Survey, Pakistan [around Allahdino?]
- 36.5 Color slides taken by L. Dupree, 2nd Afghan Expedition.
- 36.6 Color slides, travel,
Athens and Istanbul, 1965.
- 36.7 Color slides, archaeology of Mesopotamia, Ancient Near East.
- 36.8 Color slides, Mesopotamian Archaeology
(a series) created by Nicolas S. deManco?
- 36.9 Color slides of paintings by Homi (a Pakistani artist).
- 36.10 Color slides of Europe, varia.
- 36.11 Color slides of
Kishan Ghani Village, 1951 (source: Foreign Area Materials Center, University of the
- 36.12 Color
slides of Kishan Ghani Village, 1969 (source: Foreign Area Materials Center, University
State of New York).
Color slides, Ancient Near Eastern seals, set 16.
- 36.14 Color slides by R.W. Faldwell, 1960, 1960 survey.
- 36.15 Color slides, China, Japan, varia.
- 36.16 Color slides, Rome,
Roman artifacts, plans.
- 36.17 Color slides, various maps, plans.
- 36.18 Color slides, Buddhist, etc.
- 36.19 Color slides, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Lothal, 1961.
- 36.20 Color slides of
excerpts from the Baluchistan Gazetteer and images of Asian frescoes.
- 36.21 Color slides of Jano Fairservis studio, fort
- 36.22 Color
slides of Paleolithic tools and art (some institution images).
- 36.23 Color slides, travel, USSR, family crests.
- 36.24 Color slides, travel, Pakistan,
- 36.25 Color
slides, Allahdino and other, 1975, photos by E.J. Walters.
- 36.26 Color slides, Allahdino, various 1974-75 season.
- Box 37: Oversize Material
- OS file 1 Pottery design catalog of the sites
L-4 (Sur Jangal) and R-12 (Rana Ghundai). Includes unpublished drawings. Measures
approximately 18 x 24 inches; pencil drawings on index cards, some colored, cards
to very acidic paper. Partially interleaved with acid-free paper.
- OS file 2 Original drawings of objects from WAF field
projects (just a few, hodge-podge).
- OS file 1 Pottery design catalog of the sites L-4 (Sur Jangal) and R-12 (Rana
Ghundai). Includes unpublished drawings. Measures approximately 18 x 24 inches;
drawings on index cards, some colored, cards taped/glued to very acidic paper. Partially
interleaved with acid-free paper.
- OS file 12 Original drawings of objects from WAF field projects (just a few,
- Box 38: Oversize Material
- OS file 2 Pottery design catalog
of the wares of the Quetta Culture: black/grey; red/grey; RB/dark slip; B/RSL; R/black
Q-8-surface sherds-Poly; black and red (poly); Foreign Wares. As well, Quetta Valley,
affiliation: B/BSL, Buff surface, etc.; B/RSL; fine and coarse red paint wares; modern?
unpublished drawings. Measures approximately 18 x 24 inches; pencil drawings on lined
taped or glued to very acidic paper. Partially interleaved with acid-free paper.
- OS file 3 Pottery design catalog of the
wares pf the KGM and Kechi Beg Cultures: Togau; KGM B/RSL; B/RSL-surface-Q-24;
B/RSL-Zhob affinities; Kechi Beg- B/BSL, buff (surf.), etc.; coarse black/brown (surf)-Q-24;
fine red paint; coarse red paint; Kechi Beg (poly); B & R (poly) varied affinity;
KBM (poly). Includes unpublished drawings. Measures approximately 18 x 24 inches;
drawings on index cards and lined paper, some colored, cards taped/glued to very acidic
Needs to be interleaved with acid-free paper
file 4 Pottery design catalog of Quetta wares. . Includes unpublished
drawings. Measures approximately 18 x 24 inches; pencil drawings on index cards (some
colored), glued or taped to highly acidic paper. Needs to be interleaved with acid-free
- OS file 5 Black on white
and white on black figures for publication. Published records of these have not been
Pottery designs, chronological charts, site plans and sections.
- OS file 6 and paste mock ups as well as original drawings
of Indus symbols/signs and inscribed objects. Many of these were used in WAFs Notes
Harappan writing system.
- OS file 7 Notebooks/sketch books and a plan of the area surrounding the site of Allahdino;
records a survey done in the region.
- OS file 8 Handwritten tables recording Object, use, user, maker in the technology
and economics of ơtal H also includes tables recording Material, object, and process
manufacture at ơtal H
- OS file 9 Original illustrations of Neanderthal and two figurines (probably Indus Valley or
- OS file 10
Mock-up for publication, with original drawings, of ceramics. The back of one is
Sankalia, Navdatoli, South India.
- OS file 11 Original drawings related to WAF field research: plans of Drainage and
site location in the Rud-I-Biyaban; Characteristic settlement plan ca. 20 mi. E of
Road-left bank of Hari Road; plan of site KHR-5.
- OS file 12 Original drawings of objects from WAF field projects
(just a few, hodge-podge)in box 37