Dales, George F. (1927-1992) Papers, 1961-1980, bulk: A Finding Aid Peabody Museum Archives
Last update 2016 August 30
Repository: Peabody Museum Archives, Harvard
Call No.: 2001.10
Location: Peabody Museum Archives
Title: Dales, George F. (1927-1992) Papers,
Date(s): 1961-1980 (bulk)
Creator: George F. Dales
Quantity: 20 linear feet (14 boxes) (46 oversize flat files)
Abstract: This collection includes
materials relating to Dales' excavations at Mohenjo-daro, 1964-65, records of the
1968-1971, Balakot Excavations records, and papers pertaining to Dales general research
Heidi Miller 2005; edited by Patricia H. Kervick, Associate Archivist; May 2010
These papers are a gift of Barbara A.
Dales March 2001
Restrictions on access: none
Restrictions on use:
Dales, Jr. was an archaeologist who researched ancient Indus River Valley civilizations.
born in Akron, Ohio in 1927 and received his bachelor's degree in classical studies
in 1953 from
the University of Akron. In 1960, he earned his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania
where he studied history, art, and archaeology of the Middle East as well as cuneiform
His PhD dissertation was Mesopotamian and Related Female Figurines: Their
Chronology, Diffusion and Cultural Functions.
From 1961-1963 Dales was a
special lecturer at the University of Toronto. He returned to the University of Pennsylvania
Assistant (1963-66) and Associate (1966-72) Curator of South Asian collections at
Museum as well as Assistant and Associate Professor in South Asia Regional Studies.
Dales joined the faculty of Middle Eastern studies at Berkeley; in 1979 he joined
of South and Southeast Asian studies, also at Berkeley.
Dales spent 30 seasons at
archaeological sites, starting in Nippur in southern Iraq (1957). Other sites he
Mohenjo Daro and Balakot, and since 1985 Dales directed the Harappa Archaeological
involving various universities and institutions.
Dales published more than 80 articles
and monographs. His publications include Excavations at Mohenjo-Daro, Pakistan: The
Pottery (1986) His last work, Explorations on the Makran coast, Pakistan: A
search for paradise, published posthumously by the Archaeological Research Facility of
the University of California, Berkeley in 1992 was an illustrated journal account
of his 1960
survey of the Makran coast of Pakistan.
- New York Times. Obituaries. April 24, 1992.
- "George F. Dales". Wikipedia.
The Dales' collection includes
materials relating to Dales' excavations at Mohenjo-daro, 1964-65, records of the
1968-1971, Balakot Excavations records, and papers pertaining to Dales general research
interests. The papers include photographs, field records, notes, plans, photologs,
and records relating to the study of artifacts in Pakistan.
- Series I: Mohenjo-daro excavations, 1964-1965
- Series II: Seistan Survey,
- Series III: Balakot Excavations
- Series IV: Dales'
general research interests
- Series V: Miscellaneous Dales papers files
- Series VI: Oversize items
- Series: I. Mohenjo-daro excavations, 1964-1965
- Box 1
- 1.1 Preliminary agreement, excavation license and directly relevant
- 1.2 Correspondence concerning permission to excavate at
Mohenjo-daro; primary correspondents
- 1.3 Proposals, budgets, and guidelines for the excavations; early 1964 survey
- 1.4 Original object
register: bound volume listing all recovered artifacts and includes pencil drawings
of many of
- 1.5 Examples
of original artifact envelopes, with object information, 29 examples.
- 1.6 [no description provided]
- 1.7 Correspondence and varia, 1964-67, relating to the excavation.
Includes site guest log. Correspondents include the Embassy and Consulate of Pakistan,
Information Services, Salaluddin (a research scholar at Peshawar University), various
Karachi, Abdul Gaffar (GFD's driver?), various letters from Pakistan requesting jobs,
from MohD. Waris Abro at the Mohenjo-daro Museum.
- 1.8 Preliminary report, 1965.
- 1.9 Copy of the object register with original annotations.
- 1.10 Copy of Dales' field
book (incomplete) and list of its original contents [now missing Jan 2001].
- 1.11 Copies of field plans and sections, by
Trik and Dales (incomplete?).
- 1.12 Copy of Trik's field plans and sections, annotated.
- 1.13 Correspondence regarding a Smithsonian grant for
post-1965 work at the site (for R.L. Raikes and Dales), 1966-68
- 1.14 Correspondence with R.L. Raikes 1964-73,
Mohenjo-daro boring results, black and white prints of Mohenjo-daro taken by Raikes
annotated on the reverse.
- 1.15 Correspondence and a research proposal from R.L. Raikes, April 1964. Three
oversized plans removed to OS file A.
- 1.16 Reports, summaries, and correspondence about the Mohenjo-daro floods
by Dales and Raikes, plus comments by R.J. Wasson, 1964-65.
- 1.17 Correspondence (1964-65) with Raikes and Partners
(Rome), The Cementation Co. Ltd. (Lahore) and Indus Valley Construction Co. Ltd. (Karachi)
regarding the Mohenjo-daro drilling project
- 1.18 Index and correlation list of sherd bag numbers and loci numbers. Also
included, new lot numbers assigned to some original sherd bags.
- 1.19 Database print-out of registered objects.
- 1.20 Photo logs from the
1964-65 season, of b/w prints and color slides.
- 1.21 Lists of the 1964-65 negatives and slides given to UPENN (sponsor
of the excavations).
Copies of the UPENN photo records, of the Mohenjo-daro Excavations in 1964-65: b/w
negatives and color slides.
- 1.23 Sections, plans and field notes of the excavations.
- 1.24 A. Trik's original Mohenjo-daro architecture plans
- 1.25 Notes,
lists, descriptions and correspondence with M.R. Mughal (1978) re: ceramics from the
Miscellaneous drawings, notes, and photocopied mock-ups re: ceramics.
- 1.27 Descriptions of the ceramic wares (color,
inclusions), slips and paints
- 1.28 Mohenjo-daro Excavations 1964-65: "Absolutely Final Plates [for publication]
August 12, 1983", for the Mohenjo-daro pottery volume (Dales and Kenoyer 1986). Plans
Miscellaneous notes and charts regarding the stratigraphy, elevations and some loci.
- 1.30 Plans and sections of Blocks
(squares) III, VI, VII, X, XI, XIV, XV, XVI, XIX, XX, XXI, XXIV, XL. Photocopies
as well as
pencil on mm paper. Photocopies are annotated. See also OS files.
- 1.31 Plans and sections of the Deep Sounding,
blocks (squares XVII, XVIII, XXII). Photocopies as well as pencil on mm paper. Photocopies
are annotated. Also a few notes. See also OS files.
- 1.32 Plans and sections which represent a number of blocks
(i.e., they crosscut squares). Also, visuals of the grid layout and various pre-excavation
Photocopies. See also OS files.
- 1.33 Notes and diagrams on Dales' stratigraphic scheme for the areas of the 1964-65
Finished plans of the excavation areas.
- 1.35 Architectural drawings index (by B. Remsen) and architectural notes and
drawings by W.O. Heinze.
- 1.36 Architectural reconstructions by M. Graham, along with an illustration of the
skeletons in situ. Negatives of three of the illustrations. Four drawings removed
to OS file F.
- 1.37 Photo logs of b/w
images taken in March 1968 of artifacts excavated in 1964-65
- 1.39 Original photo log from 1978-1979 research trip of
objects excavated in 1964-65
- 1.38 Original photo log from 1978-1979 research trip of objects excavated in 1964-65.
- Box 2: Information on objects as well as
plans and sections of the excavation. Also, one file relating to Dales' research
Wheeler's [Sir Mortimer] 1950 excavation.
- 2.1 Two short miscellaneous lists of registered artifacts
- 2.2 Various artifact lists including an index to
drawings, unregistered objects later registered, table of what had been measured,
drawn and photographed; lists of b/w prints needed by Dales
- 2.3 Various notes on individual artifacts, general object
classification, and computer files/codes.
- 2.4 Chart of the distribution of small finds with a brief description.
- 2.5 Short list of illustrated
small finds (incomplete).
- 2.6 Lists, notes and correspondence relating to artifacts studied or published before
- 2.7 Drafts of
various outlines, introductions and tables of contents for a proposed Volume II**
Volume 1 is
Dales and Kenoyer 1986. Volume 2 was never completed..
- 2.8 Chapter 1: figurines. This file includes a manuscript
by Ute Franke-Vogt (no title) along with a descriptive list of the anthropomorphic
some miscellaneous lists and one illustration by L. Horne.
- 2.9 Dales' working notes and lists re: animal figurines. Also,
data print outs and analyses of this material.
- 2.10 Unpublished manuscripts and data: a student paper by Wendy Jo Jester,
1979, entitled Animal Figurines from the 1964-65 UPENN Excavations at Mohenjo-daro;
from A. Jansen on other Mohenjo-daro figurines; ms. By R.H. Meadow, Large Bovids of
Harappan Period: Problems of Identification and Characterization, 1990.
- 2.11 Chapter 2. Descriptive lists of vessels
made from copper, stone and faience as well as terracotta boxes. Pencil drawings
on mylar and
- 2.12Chapter 3.
Descriptive lists of jewelry and ornaments of various materials.
- 2.13 Chapter 4. Descriptive lists of tools and
implements, along with a draft of the chapter.
- 2.14 Chapter 5. Descriptive lists of games and toys along with a draft of
the chapter, b/w photos, pencil drawings on millimeter paper, and inked drawings on
Includes notes on the terracotta model axe-head and the spiral artifacts.
- 2.15 Chapter 6. Descriptive lists of inscriptions,
including catalogs of inscriptions excavated prior to 1964-65 (the latter catalogs
done by a
student?). B/w photos, copies of inked drawings, pencil drawing on yellowed vellum,
object cards for some of the inscribed objects and 2 b/w prints of inscribed objects.
- 2.16. Descriptive lists and a paper by Joseph J. Fanelli entitled
The Essential Terra-Cotta Cake
- 2.17 Lists and a distribution study of metal artifacts; b/w photos; pencil drawings on
- 2.18 Descriptive
lists and a study of the size of solid terracotta cylinders.
- 2.19 B/W photos, pencil drawings on vellum and lists of "strigil"
artifacts. [According to J.M. Kenoyer a strigil is a Greek/Roman tool used to scrape
sweat off a wrestler's body. Dales labeled a group of peculiar terracotta objects
strigils, but they
have no known use (pers. com. to HJM, 12/00).]
- 2.20 Descriptive lists and notes regarding terracotta balls.
- 2.21 Copies of the object cards of
terracotta double hooks.
- 2.22 Notes and descriptive list on the terracotta hollow cylinders.
- 2.23 Descriptive lists and notes on terracotta
cones, including original pencil drawings on various types of paper, photocopies of
inked drawings on vellum and b/w photos.
- 2.24 Lists of lithics, and two copies of a manuscript by J.M. Kenoyer (one from
1979, other revised for publication 1980, entitled Chipped Stone Tools from
Moenjo-daro, University of Pennsylvania Excavations, 1964-65). Also, misc. drawings
by JMK of lithics, ink on mylar.
- 2.25 Notes and lists regarding stone weights
- 2.26 riptive lists on terracotta wheels; mounted b/w photos, and a
few pencil on paper drawings.
- 2.27 Notes and descriptive lists regarding balls, rattles and marbles, made from terracotta,
stone, shell, and faience.
- 2.28 Notes on terracotta whistles, and short student paper on these objects from a variety
- 2.29 Notes and
descriptive lists about miscellaneous terracotta objects: b/w photos, pencil drawings
contact prints, b/w photos mounted on cards.
Odd (found scattered, not in association with any of the other files) notes
and lists regarding various terracotta objects including some information on figurines.
- 2.31Notes and lists
describing ivory sticks. Also, inked drawings on vellum and b/w photos.
- 2.32 Lists of faience/paste artifacts (not beads).
- 2.33 Descriptive lists,
pencil drawings on paper and mylar, of stone objects.
- 2.34 Lists and notes regarding floral and faunal specimens, as
well as human skeletons.
- 2.35 Lists of shell artifacts, with b/w photos and pencil drawings on mylar.
- 2.36 Descriptive list of inlay artifacts.
- 2.37 Data and text
computer printouts, "taken off of Victor 1994", re: Volume II [the planned second
the 1964-65 excavations].
- 2.38 Soil test results, from Raikes.
- 2.39 C14 dates. Offprint, manuscript, and descriptions of samples.
- 2.40 Correspondence, drawings (ink on
board, ink on vellum), negatives of drawings, prints of negatives, all relating to
artwork drawn by
Mrs. Hovey Klainer. Two pieces of the original artwork have been removed to the OS
- 2.41 Pencil
drawings of small finds; on mm paper, vellum and mylar. Sheets 4f, 63 through 70
miscellaneous unnumbered sheets. See also OS files G, H, I.
- 2.42 Photocopies of pencil drawings of small finds:
stone, ivory/bone rods, terracotta cones, terracotta cakes, gamesmen, and miscellaneous.
- 2.43 Photocopies of first
draft ( pencil on mm paper) pottery vessel drawings.
- 2.44 Photocopies of drawings of small finds.
- 2.45 Correspondence regarding samples (shell,
a possible fossil) for identification, 1965.
- 2.46 Images of the anthropomorphic mask: b/w photos (some mounted on
cards), contact prints, and pencil drawings on mylar (mounted on cards).
- 2.47 Notes by G.F. Dales on Mohenjo-daro
artifacts from R.E.M. Wheeler's 1950 excavations at the site. The notes were made
examining this material stored in Lahore Fort. Also, copies of R.E.M. Wheeler's negative
Correspondence with Leslie Alcock re: identifying Wheeler's photos. Photos in Photo
- Box 3: Includes data and information
from later research at Mohenjo-daro by Jansen et al.
Mohenjo-daro: Reports by G.F. Dales and C. Swift of a trip to
Mohenjo-daro in 1978-79.
- 3.2 Mohenjo-daro: Conservation report on the botanical aspects of the Mohenjo-daro
restoration project, written by F.R. Fosberg, 1979
- 3.3 Mohenjo-daro: Correspondence with DeBeaufort (DHV
consultants), Perrot, Philips, Remsen, Sarcina and Urban, 1977-1979.
- 3.4 Mohenjo-daro: Plans, positives of the plans and
2 prints of Mohenjo-daro; created by Jansen and Philips
- 3.5 Mohenjo-daro: Correspondence with M. Jansen 1977-1980.
- 3.6 Mohenjo-daro: b/w
negatives and contact prints from 1979 excavation by Jansen and Philips. Also plans
the locations of the photos. Two plans are oversized and were removed to OS file
- 3.7 Mohenjo-daro: Letter and MS
from M. Jansen detailing the 1980 work at the site. Three oversized plans removed
to OS file E.
- 3.8 Mohenjo-daro:
Unpublished manuscript and photos, by M. Jansen, The Calendar Stones of Mohenjo-daro.
- 3.9 Mohenjo-daro: Plans,
maps and aerial photos of Mohenjo-daro.
- Box 7: Object cards of artifacts, recording the material, size, prose description,
and find location
of the artifact. Also, occasionally references to photos or drawings of the object
are noted or
photos are attached.
- Terracotta objects
(non-figurines): double hooks, rods and bars, rings, balls, cones, hollow cylinders,
cakes, rollers, architectural fragments(?), discs, axe-model and miscellaneous shaped
- Stone objects: vessels, weights, natural stone,
hammer stones, grinders, rubbing or polishing stones, balls, chert blades, various
- Box 8: Object cards (cont.). Artifact
- Bangles: terracotta, shell,
faience/paste, copper, 'stoneware'.
vessel, blade chisel, arrowhead, rod, tube, ring, wire, disc, band, button/stud, miscellaneous.
- Beads: faience, paste, stone, terracotta.
- Box 9: Object cards (cont.). Artifacts include:
- Beads (cont.): metal, shell, ivory/bone.
- Inlays of ivory,
- Faience objects: disc, button,
vessel, and miscellaneous
- Shell ladle and
miscellaneous worked fragments
- Box 10: Object cards (cont.):
Cards record animal and anthropomorphic figurines, as well as masks.
- Box 11: Object cards, (cont.): drawings and b/w photos of terracotta
figurines, recording animal figurines only.
- Series: II. Seistan Survey
- 3.17 Seistan
Survey: Few originals and many photocopies of various maps of Afghani Seistan along
some maps of neighboring areas (Eastern Iran, Bolan Pass and Quetta). See OS files
- 3.18 Seistan Survey:
References and lists of old maps of Seistan.
- 3.19 Seistan Survey: Acknowledgements, preface and description of the
physiography of the Kandahar region by Snead; photocopies of survey maps; an early
draft list of
plates for the Nad-I Ali publication; some photocopied figures from Snead; 3 drawings
found amongst the papers [I don't think these are from Mohenjo-daro; I compared them
J.M.Kenoyer's plates and they don't belong there. HJM]
- 3.19A Seistan Survey---file "Q" moved from Oversize
- Series: Balakot Excavations
- Box 3
- 3.21 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): field book (excavation notes), photo log.
- 3.22 Balakot Excavations,
1BLK (1973): preliminary report of the first season of excavation.
- 3.23 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): receipts
(descriptive lists) from the Department of Archaeology, Karachi, for objects left
in Karachi and
film records; original excavation license as well.
- 3.24 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): daily register of objects and
study collections (bound book with ink entries and pencil drawings).
- 3.25 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): lists of
lots, levels, phases, objects and samples. Lot-level descriptions, soil sample descriptions,
chert blades, cores and flakes
- 3.26 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): book of pottery lots, pottery catalog with ink
entries and pencil drawings.
- 3.27 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): misc. drawings; sketched figures for
publication, plates of vessel forms (ink on vellum), base chart (ink on mylar).
- 3.28 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK
(1973): pottery drawings done in 1984 (pencil on vellum, pencil on paper).
- 3.29 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973):
original pottery drawings sheets 1-39 (pencil on paper, some vellum/mylar attached
to paper with
masking tape). Includes P numbered vessels/sherds. Missing original sheets 14 and
photocopies of sheets 1-14.
- 3.30 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): P* numbered vessels, original and other
drawings, series is incomplete. Pencil on paper, some photocopies of inked P vessels,
Original inked drawings on mylar, glued to paper.
- 3.31 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): original sherd
- 3.32 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): inked drawings (on mylar) of painted sherds and
- 3.33 Balakot
Excavations, 1BLK (1973): misc. original artifact drawings, cut up; ink on vellum,
and pencil on
paper, few photocopies.
- 3.34 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): completed excavation sections (b/w prints?).
Plus pencil drawings of kiln.
- 3.35 Balakot Excavations, 1BLK (1973): correspondence regarding identification of shells
and a mystery object
- 3.36 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): field books (excavation notes), survey data
- 3.37 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK
(1974): duplicate objects log book
- 3.38 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): receipt from the Department of Archaeology,
Karachi, for unrecorded artifacts, and a list of faunal material for export
- Box 4
- 4.1 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): lot sheets for squares F1, F2, G1, H1, and east
- 4.2 Balakot
Excavations, 2BLK (1974): lot sheets for squares D1/D2 baulk, D2, E1, E2
- 4.3 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): lot
sheets for squares C2, D1
- 4.4 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): lot sheets for squares B1, B2, C1
- 4.5 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974):
stratigraphy notes and scheme
- 4.6 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): photo log and lists
- 4.7 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): objects log
book, summary objects list, samples log book, tabulation of bone and shell objects
- 4.8 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974):
log book and lists of soil samples and pollen samples
- 4.9 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): list of shell artifacts, list
of lots by level phase and period, preliminary report on faunal remains, report on
report on sampling procedures for plant remains, list of pottery objects; G.F. Dales'
2BLK and Chanhu-daro pottery parallels; plus misc. notes on inscribed signs and objects
- 4.10 Balakot
Excavations, 2BLK (1974): plates for the preliminary report of the second season of
- 4.11 Balakot
Excavations, 2BLK (1974): ceramic lot descriptions in code (computer?)
- 4.12 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974):
tabulations and drawings of sherd lots, sherd sheets 1-130 (missing number 68); ink
on paper and vellum
- 4.13 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): vessel drawings, by object number; ink on mylar
- 4.14 Balakot Excavations,
2BLK (1974): vessel/sherd drawings, by lot number, ink on mylar
- 4.15 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): object
drawings, sheets 1-62 (pencil on paper), includes sherds, vessels, various artifacts;
Kenoyer's drawings of shell bangles (2 sheets, pencil on mylar)
- 4.16 Balakot Excavations, 2BLK (1974): original inked
drawings, on paper, of shells, seals, a few terracotta figurines, a 'Sua' fishhead.
by Thelma Nonian and others.
- 4.17 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): fieldbooks 1 and 2 (excavation notes), ink
entries, pencil drawings
- 4.18 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): fieldbook 3 (excavation notes), ink entries,
- 4.19 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): lot book; list of lots with descriptions
- 4.20 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): lot
sheets; file 1 of 4, lots 1-149.
- 4.21 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): lot sheets; file 1 of 4, lots 1-149.
- 4.22 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK
(1975): lot sheets; file 3 of 4, lots 300-449.
- 4.23 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): lot sheets; file 4 of 4, lots 450-593.
- 4.24 Balakot Excavations,
3BLK (1975): lot lists, with artifacts tabbed [counted] and context description.
- 4.25 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK
(1975): correspondence, lists and receipts from the Department of Archaeology regarding
for export, objects recovered and samples collection from the third season of excavation.
- 4.26 Balakot Excavations,
3BLK (1975): photo log book.
- Box 5
- 5.1 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK
(1975): object book, describes objects 1-338; ink entries and drawings.
- 5.2 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): notes and
lists (artifact tally sheets) regarding various small finds including metal and shell;
sheets of the faunal remains.
- 5.3Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): samples catalog, descriptive list; ink entries,
pencil drawings (includes objects in addition to plain samples).
- 5.4 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): soil samples:
lists, results, original lot sheets.
- 5.5 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): various preliminary reports; bull figurines by
Vik. Nienv., personal ornaments and misc. terracotta artifacts by J. Fanelli, ceramics
Kenoyer, and faunal remains by R.H. Meadow.
- 5.6 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): preliminary report of the 3rd
season of excavation, by G.F. Dales.
- 5.7 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): poor quality photocopies of pottery lot
- 5.8 Balakot
Excavations, 3BLK (1975): pottery lot code sheets (incomplete?)
- 5.9 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): final pencil
drawings of objects 1-99 (incomplete) on mylar and vellum.
- 5.10 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): final pencil
drawings of objects 100-199 (incomplete) on mylar and vellum.
- 5.11 ot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): final pencil drawings
of objects 200-299 (incomplete) on mylar.
- 5.12 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): final pencil drawings of objects
300-338 (incomplete) on mylar.
- 5.13 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975): inked drawings of objects (incomplete), plus
- 5.14 Balakot
Excavations, 3BLK (1975): inked drawings of pottery vessels (incomplete?)
- 5.15 Balakot Excavations, 3BLK (1975):
various plans, sketch sections, and notes on the stratigraphy, levels, heights/depths.
- 5.16 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK
(1976): fieldbooks 1 and 2 (excavation notes)
- 5.17 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): fieldbooks 3 and 4 (excavation
- 5.18 Balakot
Excavations, 4BLK (1976): fieldbooks 5 and 6 (excavation notes)
- 5.19 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): lot sheets 1-150
- 5.20 Balakot Excavations,
4BLK (1976): lot sheets 151-306
- 5.21 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): lot book (list)
- 5.22 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): locus/event
dating and descriptive lot index; registered artifacts by type and period.
- 5.23 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): small find
tabulations; sherd lot tabulations; metal artifact list; carbon samples list; soil
mudbrick samples list.
- 5.24 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): samples list and object register book (ink
entries and pencil drawings).
- 5.25 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): photo log book
- 5.26 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): lists and
receipts for/from the Department of Archaeology, Karachi regarding sherd lots, objects
samples from the fourth season of excavation
- 5.27 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): pottery lot descriptions, in 'code',
i.e. shorthand recording system
- 5.28 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): information about mudbrick (in general) and
mudbrick samples from the site [used for pollen analysis? See file 6.10]
- 5.29 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976):
miscellaneous items; copied field notes, master copy of the lot form, 4 drawings of
vessels (ink on mylar), and a few poor photocopies of object drawings
- 5.30 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK (1976): report by
Snead and Erickson, Morphological changes in the Balakot Region of Pakistan, 1977.
and many copies of the illustrations. 2 oversized illustrations removed to OS file.
- 5.31 Balakot Excavations, 4BLK
(1976): final drawings of objects, ink on mylar, objects 1-188, incomplete
- Box 6
- 6.1 Balakot Excavations: original drawings of bull figurines, unknown season.
- 6.2 Balakot Excavations:
various plans and sections; plan of upper Harappan levels, plan of square D1 east
south section of square D1 east extension, west section of squares H1 and G1, west
squares G1 and F1, plan of squares B1-B3 to E1-E3, plan of squares F1-F2 to H1-H2.
- 6.3 Balakot
Excavations: correspondence regarding fish remains: V. Butler 1983-84, 1987; C. Swift
W. Belcher 1990
- 6.5 Balakot Excavations:
correspondence, reports and lists regarding shells:, S. Durante (report, correspondence,
photocopy of article about the Balakot material) 1980; M.I. Khan (correspondence)
Kenoyer (report on the shell industries of the Indus Valley); receipt for samples
Karachi in 1980
- 6.6 Balakot Excavations: reports of fish collection trips by C. Swift, in 1978 and 1979.
- 6.7 Balakot Excavations: list of lithics
and a report by J.H. Cleland, 1977, The Chipped Stone Industry at Balakot; correspondence
Dales-Cleland 1977, corrections to the report
- 6.8 Balakot Excavations: misc. records about shell samples, various seasons
- 6.9 Balakot Excavations:
misc. records about shell samples, various seasons
- 6.10 Balakot Excavations: reports, notes and lists on the plant
remains and pollen from Balakot, all seasons: G.J. West, 1976, Plant Remains from
Bela District, Pakistan; from 4BLK (?) pollen extraction from mudbrick; list of pollen
Appendix 2, Flora of Karachi and Sind, Punjab and the Indus Delta, source?
- 6.11 Balakot Excavations: correspondence,
reports, and photos regarding the pollen study by M. McKean, 1986. A Palynological
Botanical Survey in Selected Areas of Pakistan, 1981.
- 6.12 Balakot Excavations: Balakot geography and environment
by J. Fanelli: notes, informal report, bibliography.
- 6.13 Balakot Excavations: reports, MSS by R.H. Meadow: A Preliminary Statement on the Faunal Remains from Balakot (1977); Final Report of the University of California, Berkeley Excavations at Balakot, Pakistan:
Faunal Remains: Terrestrial Vertebrates; Final Reports of the Harvard University Excavations
Tepe Yahya, Southeastern Iran: The Faunal Remains: Vertebrates; Prehistoric Subsistence
Balakot: Initial Consideration of the Faunal Remains (1978).
- 6.14 Balakot Excavations: regarding testing of metal
remains: correspondence with R. Maddin 1978-1979; lists of samples; paper by M.A.
Ursani, An Analysis of Metal Artifacts at Balakot
- 6.15 Balakot Excavations: correspondence with P. Velay 1979
regarding Kulli sherds
- 6.16 Balakot Excavations: pottery recording materials: key to abbreviations, notes for
recording formats and codes; also, a notebook with notes about ceramic analysis
- 6.17 Balakot Excavations: pottery
recording in Karachi, Feb-April 1984: form charts, computer recording formats and
- 6.18 Balakot Excavations:
notes and recording cards for the pottery vessels, includes drawings on one side of
the card, file 1
- 6.19 Balakot
Excavations: notes and recording cards for the pottery vessels, includes drawings
on one side of
the card, file 2 of 2
- 6.20 Balakot Excavations: miscellaneous records of the pottery: inked sherd drawings, notes,
photocopies of vessel types
- 6.21 Balakot Excavations: tabulations of small finds, lots
- 6.22 Balakot Excavations: inked drawings of stone tools,
figurines, bone and terracotta tools
- 6.23 Balakot Excavations: various plans and sections, from all seasons, all
- 6.24 Balakot
Excavations: images (prints?) of objects including a seal-amulet, painted pottery,
Sua (fish) head,
floor tile, and photocopies
- 6.25 Balakot Excavations: notes concerning pottery parallels between Balakot and other
sites and collections
- 6.26 Balakot Excavations: odd notes on inscribed signs, including a study by Gio Morris?
- 6.27 Balakot Excavations: student
paper by L.B. Pollak, The Peacock as Portrayed on Pottery at Balakot (3BLK) and other
the Indus Valley during the Mature Harappan Period and its Concept in Hindu Iconography
- 6.28 Miscellaneous about
Balakot: mounted photos of objects recovered by the Department of Archaeology, Karachi;
to the Director of Personnel, UC-Berkeley
- 6.36 Balakot Excavations; copies of yearly reports fpr 1BLK, 2BLK, 3BLK,
- Box 12: Object cards with
drawings from seasons 2-3, Balakot
- Box 13:
Sherd/pottery vessel cards with drawings from 4th season of excavation at Balakot
- Box 14: Sherd/pottery vessel cards with drawings from 4th
season of excavation at Balakot (cont.); Object cards with drawings, 4th season of
- Series: IV. Dales' General Research Interests
- 3.10 Student paper, by James. H. Harris, An
Experiment to Chart the Distribution of Several Groups of Objects as Reported in [the
Publications of Mohenjo-daro Excavations, along with catalogs of the artifacts in
the study and
distribution maps. Eight oversized distribution maps removed to OS file D.
- 3.11 Correspondence from E.C.L.
During-Caspers, 1978, concerning anthropomorphic figurines. Includes inked drawings
- 3.12 MA thesis by
Roxanne Rao entitled Archaeological and Ethnographic Study of South Asian Animal Figurines.
- 3.13 Dales' Papers:
Student paper by James H. Harris, A Typology of Human-Faced Masks Excavated at
Student paper by James H. Harris, A Typology of Human-Faced Masks Excavated at
Student Paper by Peggy Cherner, Terracotta Bulls and Dogs from Sites of Indus Valley
Newspaper and newsletter articles regarding Mohenjo-daro, archaeo-politics in Pakistan,
- 3.20 Copies of University Museum, UPENN photo accession cards. Images from various Dales'
- Series: V. Miscellaneous
- 6.29 Drawings of some Chanhu-daro sherds
at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, by J.M. Kenoyer
- 6.30 B/w prints of figurines, metal mirror, and cemetery, various
sites, and probably various copyrights
- 6.31 Miscellaneous research notes from a visit to the British Museum, 2 plates
illustrating painted sherds from Shahr-i Sokhta, and research notes from the study
of materials at
the Exploration Branch of the Archaeological Survey, Karachi (Dec. 1982).
- 6.32 Notes and drawings of pottery from
various collections (Baluchi and Indus)
- 6.33 Notes and drawings of pottery from collections in the Lahore Fort (mid
- 6.34 Correspondence and a list regarding latex impressions and a request for plaster casts,
Mohenjo-daro objects in this accession
- 6.35 Captions for images taken by Dmitri Kessel of the site of Mohenjo-daro
and objects from the site
- 6.37 Offprints of Dales publications.
- Series: Oversize material (stored in flat files and boxes numbered 1-3 at end of collection)
- File AMohenjo-daro
Excavations 1964-65: Three preliminary survey maps of Mohenjo-daro. Removed from
1.15. Drawn by Raikes, 1964.
- File B Mohenjo-daro Excavations 1964-65: Original art work/illustrations by Mrs. Hovey
Klainer, removed from file 2.40. Two images of the anthropomorphic terracotta mask
rectangular-bar inscribed object.
- File C Mohenjo-daro: Two maps showing the location of photos taken by Jansen and
Philips 1979. Removed from file 3.6.
- File D Eight object distribution maps, removed from 3.10.
- File E Mohenjo-daro: Three plans of
Mohenjo-daro drawn in 1980. Removed from 3.7
- File F Mohenjo-daro Excavations 1964-65: Illustrations and
working sketches by M. Graham. Two of the post-hole building, one of skeletons in
situ, and his
working sketches of the post-hole building reconstruction. Removed from File 1.36.
- File G Mohenjo-daro Excavations
1964-65: Drawings of small finds, pencil on millimeter paper. Ten sheets numbered
9a, 9b, 9c,
9d, 10b, 11a, 43, 44c, 45, 46b.
- File H Mohenjo-daro Excavations 1964-65: Small finds drawings, pencil on mylar (and one
pencil on millimeter paper attached to mylar). Seven sheets. Pencil on millimeter
paper is sheet
42, and 3 of the mylar sheets are numbered 72, 74, 75. The remaining sheets are not
- File I Mohenjo-daro
Excavations 1964-65: Drawings of small finds, ink on mylar. Twelve sheets, approximately
- File J Mohenjo-daro Excavations 1964-65: Oversized plans and sections. Includes drawings
blocks III, VI, VII, XI, XV, XVII, XVIII, XXII (the deep sounding). Also, various
sections that crosscut blocks and show the grid layout. Also included, various pre-excavation
maps and plans, along with list of brick sizes by block.
- File K Mohenjo-daro Excavations 1964-65: Various, primarily
mixed media. An overlay map showing areas of excavation; mock-ups for publication
chipped lithics, drawn by J. M. Kenoyer; two charts of artifact types by stratigraphic
(pencil on vellum); one schematic distribution map (colored inks on vellum); plan
mounted on cardboard and overlain with mylar showing the distribution of figurines
- File L Maps of
the Indian subcontinent, ink on tissue/white trace, ink on paper showing distributions
- File M Original ink on white trace and ink on mylar drawings of topographic maps of South
Asia and Afghanistan.
- File N Seistan Survey: Reproduced maps compiled by Fairchild Aerial Surveys, scale
1:100,000 of Dales survey regions. Some maps are annotated.
- File OSeistan Survey: Survey results; hand drawn maps,
annotated photocopied maps.
- File P Seistan Survey: Oversized maps, photocopies of published maps, original maps of
Kabul 1967, two copies of an original tourist map of Afghanistan 1970, and a geological
time-stratigraphic table for Afghanistan (transferred to Richard Meadow's map file
Heidi J. Miller).
- File Q Seistan Survey: Pre-publication mock-ups of ceramic drawings of material from the
Survey; ink on mylar with adhesive and/or tape on cardboard [broken down and re-formatted.
There's a risk of loosing images, but if they are broken down then we loose Dales'
I cannot locate a publication of these images/mock-ups].
- File R Miscellaneous maps; sites of the Indus Valley; a
photocopy of a mineral map of Pakistan 1955; an original illustration of Indus flooding
Graham; 2 rolled up maps, one of Sindh (based on early travellers' maps?), and the
photostat of the Indus Valley across Baluchistan, Makran, Iran, from Pottingii's travels,
in 1816. (Transferred to Richard Meadow's map file 8/03 per Heidi J. Miller.)
- File S Mohenjo-daro Excavations
1964-65? Computer print-out of ceramic vessels.
- File T Mohenjo-daro: plans from Anna Sarcina's study of house types at
Mohenjo-daro: includes distribution maps, house types, and area functions.
- File U Miscellaneous: drawings (pencil on
mylar) of Nindowari pottery; working chronological chart of the Ancient Near East;
figurine chronology, phases A through F, site ?
- File V Balakot Excavations, 1BLK: plans and sections
- File W Balakot Excavations, 1BLK: sections
redrawn in 4BLK
- File X Balakot Excavations, 2BLK: miscellaneous drawings of artifacts, tile floor
- File Y Balakot Excavations, 2BLK: ceramic
lot sheets (descriptions and drawings), sheets 1-55
- File Z Balakot Excavations, 2BLK: reproduced final inked
drawings of ceramic vessels and sherds
- File AA Balakot Excavations, 2BLK: miscellaneous inked drawings of ceramic
vessels and sherds
- File AB Balakot Excavations, 2BLK: plans and sections for squares B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2
- File AC Balakot Excavations, 2BLK:
plans and sections for squares E1, F1, G1, H1
- File AD Balakot Excavations, 2BLK: plans and sections that crosscut
- File AE Balakot Excavations, 3BLK: plans
- File AF Balakot Excavations, 3BLK: sections
- File AG Balakot Excavations, 3BLK: drawings of miscellaneous
objects and terracotta vessels
- File AH Balakot Excavations, 3BLK: inked drawings of objects, terracotta vessels, and some
- File AI Balakot Excavations, 3BLK: pottery lot sheets 1-248, descriptions and drawings
- File AJ Balakot Excavations, 4BLK:
pottery drawings do
- File AK Balakot Excavations, 4BLK: sections
- File AL Balakot Excavations, 4BLK: plans
- File AMBalakot Excavations, 4BLK: inked ceramic
- File ANBalakot Excavations, 4BLK: Harris matrixes
- File AO Balakot Excavations, 4BLK: copies of pottery lot
drawings; missing pages 38, 69, 70, 73, 96, 97, 98, 99
- File AP Balakot Excavations, 4BLK: original pottery lot
drawings, some ink and mainly pencil; missing pages 38, 69, 70, 73, 96, 97, 98, 99
- File AQ Balakot Excavations, 4BLK:
miscellaneous illustrations from file 5.30 and a data table from the Naples South
Archaeology conference (South Asian Archaeology 1977)
- File AR Balakot Excavations, 4BLK: very OS plans, Harris
- File AS Balakot
Excavations: ceramic sequences, motif sequences, from various seasons
- File AT Miscellaneous rolled charts regarding
graves excavated at Tepe Hissar and Turang Tepe; charts were created by Dales to tabulate
goods, skeleton remains, etc. 6 pieces, various sizes.