Chichen Itza Expedition Records: A Finding Aid
Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology Archives, Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Peabody Museum Archives
Call No.: 47-52
Repository: Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology Archives, Harvard University
Title: Chichen Itza Expedition Records
Quantity: 1 linear feet
Abstract: In 1888, under the aegis of the PM's Central America Expedition funded by museum trustee
Charles P. Bowditch, Edward H. Thompson began the first of a series of archaeological
expeditions to Chichen Itza, in Yucatan State, Mexico. Later, he was joined by archaeologists
Alfred M. Tozzer, Sylvanus G. Morley, and T. A. Willard. The expeditions continued
under the aegis of SGM and the Carnegie Institute of Washington into the 1940s.
The records of the early expeditions were donated to the Museum in 1947 by Bowditch,
Thompson, and Tozzer and were sorted and arranged by Tozzer, initially for a book
to be written by Tania Proskouriakoff. They were transferred to the PM Archives in
Sarah Demb, Archivist; 1997 ; edited by Patricia H. Kervick, Associate Archivist; July 2009
- Carnegie Institute of Washington (CIW) Records #58-34
- Chichen Itza correspondence from E.H. Thompson can be found in FW Putnam Director
The Chichen Itza records consist of field correspondence, notes, reports, accounts,
and Adela Breton's watercolors of artifacts. One of the richest sites in Mayan archaeological
history, the Sacred Cenote, was excavated by the archaeologists of the Chichen Itza
Expeditions. Analysis of the artifacts excavated there carried on into the 1960s,
and the artifacts at the PM still provide important data to researchers.
- Box 1: Correspondence
- AMT - TA Willard , 1939-1941
- Index to EHT Cenote Material (AMT), 1947
- Letters to EHT from CPB, 1891, 1900-1903
Date: 1891, 1900-1903
- Letters EHT to CPB, 1904
- Diary, L.C. Cole, 1904
- Letters EHT to CPB, 1910-1912
- Letters EHT to CPB, 1920-1923
- Letters EHT to AMT, 1926
- Article in Merida paper against EHT, collected by Mahler, 1926
- AMT Cenote accounts with Mrs. CPB, 1926-1930
- AMT Cenote Fund correspondence, 1926-1928
- General, 1931-1936
- Cenote repatriation materials, 1940-1943
- Legal aspects of the Cenote case, 1927-1948
- Correspondence with EHT's heirs, 1936-1947
- Rough drafts of reports on Cenote work, n.d.
- Box 2
- Various reports on Cenote work, 1911
- Various reports on Cenote work, 1911, n.d.
Date: 1911, n.d.
- Notes on Cenote objects, 1902-1916, n.d.
Date: 1902-1916, n.d.
- Notes on Cenote operations (Mahler), 1928
- EHT stories relating to Chichen Itza drafts, n.d.
- EHT Cenote notes on wood/wooden objects, charcoal, n.d.
- EHT notes on rubber matrix, n.d.
- Draft, chapter 1 in Cenote volume, PM Memoirs 10:3, 1911
- AMT notes on Cenote wood, n.d.
- Cenote artifacts
- Prints and
- Breton watercolors--figures published in S. Lothrop Memoirs, 10:2, n.d.