Ms. Coll. 156
Robert Di Domenica Collection of Scores, 1953-1996. A Finding Aid
Eda Kuhn Loeb Music Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge MA 02138
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Ms. Coll. 156
Repository: Eda Kuhn Loeb Music Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Robert Di Domenica Collection of Scores, 1953-1996
Quantity: 1 collection (11 file boxes, 13.75 linear feet)
Abstract: Manuscript and published scores by the twentieth-century American composer
Processed by: Josh Kantor
Finding aid encoded by: Christina Linklater
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
Ms. Coll. 156. Robert Di Domenica Collection of Scores, 1953-1996. Isham Memorial
Library, Eda Kuhn Loeb Music Library, Harvard University.
Robert Anthony Di Domenica (1927-2013) was an American composer and flautist. He was
educated at New York University and joined the composition faculty of the New England
Conservatory in 1969. Di Domenica studied composition with a pupil of Alban Berg and
is regarded as a serial composer, with jazz influences and lyrical tendencies.
This is the compositional output of Robert Di Domenica. The collection includes drafts
as well as finished scores and parts, in manuscript, photocopy, and commercially printed
manifestations. Many items are annotated.
- . Box 1, Theme and variations for piano. 1953
- . Box 1, Sonatina for piano. 1954 or 1955
Date: 1954 or 1955
- . Box 1, Sonata for piano. 1955?
- . Box 1, String quartet.1956
Score, four parts.
- . Box 1, Symphony. 1956
- . Box 1, Sonata for flute and piano. 1957
Transparencies and other pre-publication formatted pages.
- . Box 1, Sextet for woodwind quintet and piano. 1957
Score, flute part, oboe part, clarinet part, horn part, bassoon part.
- . Box 1, Photocopies of 12-tone rows for numerous pieces from this collection. 1957-1996
- . Box 1, Sonatina for piano. 1958
- . Box 1, String quartet. 1958
- . Box 1, Four movements for piano. 1959
One bound copy of score, one unbound copy of score.
- . Box 2, Quartet for flute, violin, viola, and cello. 1960
Score, four parts.
- . Box 2, The first kiss of love. 1960
Two copies of score.
- . Box 2, Symphony. 1961
- . Box 2, Variations on a tonal theme. 1961
- . Box 2, Concerto for violin and chamber orchestra. 1962
- . Box 2, Piano concerto no. 1. 1963
- . Box 3, Wind. 1963
Quintet score. Includes alternate preferred ending with soprano voice.
- . Box 3, Concerto for wind quintet, strings and timpani. 1964
- . Box 3, Sonata for violin and piano. 1966
Score, violin part.
- . Box 3, Trio for flute, bassoon, and piano. 1966
Score (photocopy of working manuscript).
- . Box 3, Music for flute and string orchestra. 1967
Score, transparencies of parts, copies of working manuscript, string parts with pencil
- . Box 3, Saeculum aureum. 1967
Score, solo flute part, pre-taped flute parts, Palestrina Three responses score.
- . Box 3, Sonata for alto saxophone and piano. 1967 or 1968
Date: 1967 or 1968
Score, saxophone part.
- . Boxes 4 and 5, The balcony. 1972
Vocal score, full score and miscellaneous materials. Vocal score by Leona Di Domenica.
- . Box 5, Eleven short pieces. 1973
- . Box 5, Improvisations. 1974
- . Box 5, Four short songs. 1975
Score, reduced-size score, flute part, clarinet part, violin part, viola part, cello
- . Box 5, Black poems. 1976
Score, additional notes.
- . Box 5, Song from Twelfth night. 1976
- . Box 5, Sonata after essays. 1977
Score, three copies of flute part, three copies of examples for Tanglewood lecture,
one copy of Tanglewood lecture.
- . Box 5, Concord revisited. 1978
- . Box 6, Arrangements. 1979
Piano part copied by pianist, flute part, clarinet part, violin part, cello part,
- . Box 6, The holy colophone. 1980
Soprano part mock-up, tenor part mock-up, soprano part, tenor part, two copies of
chorus part, two copies of score.
- . Box 6, Music for stanzas. 1981
Score, flute part, clarinet part, horn part, bassoon part, two copies of pre-taped
oboes and English horns part.
- . Box 7, Piano concerto no. 2. 1982
- . Box 7, Variations on a theme by Gunther Schuller. 1983
- . Box 7, Hebrew melodies. 1983
Score, violin part, mock-up.
- . Box 7, Dream journeys. 1984
- . Box 7, Thema enigma. 1985
Flute part, reduced-size flute part, film negative of flute part.
- . Boxes 7 and 8, Nathaniel Hawthorne's The scarlet letter: an opera in three acts. 1986
Two copies of libretto (last page missing from second copy), two copies of vocal score.
Libretto by E.H. Eglin.
- . Box 8, Variations and soliloquies. 1988
- . Box 8, The art of the row. 1989
- . Box 8, Gone are the rivers and eagles. 1992
- . Boxes 9 and 10, Alberto Moravia's Beatrice Cenci: an opera in three acts. 1993
Vocal score and full score.
- . Box 10, The Cenci: a drama with music. 1995
Two copies of full score (one with pencil notes and loose pages tucked inside) two
copies of vocal score.
- . Box 11, Francesco Cenci: an opera in two acts. 1996
Vocal score, full score.
Music -- Manuscripts.
Music -- United States -- 20th century.
Di Domenica, Leona
Eglin, E. H. (Eugene Hermann), 1942-
Tanglewood (Music festival)