[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HMS.Count:med00174View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
RG M-SD08, Series 00256

Harvard University. Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health. Scientific papers and departmental minutes, 1905-1967 (inclusive), 1940-1960 (bulk): Finding Aid.

Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine)

[link]


Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine)

© President and Fellows of Harvard College


Processing of the Scientific Papers and Departmental Minutes of the Harvard University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health was funded by the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine's Charles S. Minot Fund for Hematology.

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: RG M-SD08, Series 00256
Repository: Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine)
Creator: Harvard University. Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health.
Title: Harvard University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health scientific papers and departmental minutes,
Date(s): 1905-1967 (inclusive),
Date(s): 1940-1960 (bulk).
Quantity: 5.9 cubic feet ( (7 records center cartons)
Language of materials: Records are in English.
Abstract: The Scientific Papers and Departmental Minutes of the Harvard University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health, 1905-1967 (inclusive), 1940-1960 (bulk), are a product of the administrative, research, and publishing activities of the University Laboratory and its predecessor, the Harvard Medical School Department of Physical Chemistry, Boston, Massachusetts. The bulk of the records consist of departmental meeting minutes and bound scientific paper reprints published in connection with the University Laboratory and the Harvard Medical School Departments of Physical Chemistry and Biological Chemistry.

Immediate Source of Acquisition:

  • Accession number 2011-058. CBR Institute for Biomedical Research. 2011 January.
  • Accession number 2008-042. CBR Institute for Biomedical Research. 2008.
  • Processing Information:

    Processed by Amber LaFountain, 2012 November.
    Processing staff in the Center for the History of Medicine analyzed, arranged, and described the records, and created a finding aid to improve access. Items were rehoused and, where necessary, photocopied to acid-free paper. Folder titles were transcribed from the originals when available; titles supplied by the processing staff appear in brackets only on the physical folders.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    Access requires advance notice. Access to Harvard University records is restricted for 50 years from the date of creation. Researchers may apply for access to restricted records. Consult Public Services for further information.
    The Records are stored offsite. Researchers are advised to contact Public Services for more information concerning retrieval of material.

    Conditions Governing Use:

    The Harvard Medical Library does not hold copyright on all the materials in the collection. Requests for permission to publish material from the collection should be directed to Public Services. Researchers who obtain permission to publish from Public Services are responsible for identifying and contacting the persons or organizations that hold copyright.

    Preferred Citation:

    Harvard Medical School. Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology. Scientific Papers and Departmental Minutes of the Harvard University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health, 1905-1967 (inclusive), 1940-1960 (bulk). Harvard Medical Library, Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, Boston, Mass.

    Related Papers in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, Center for the History of Medicine

    Related Records in the Harvard University Archives

    Separations

    Two Fenwal blood packs were transferred to the Warren Anatomical Museum (Warren Museum catalog number 20276.1).

    Historical Notes

    The Harvard University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health was established in 1950 under the direction of Edwin J. Cohn (1892-1953), Higgins University Professor, to advance the study of physical and biological chemistry across Harvard University campuses in Boston, Massachusetts and Cambridge, Massachusetts. The University Laboratory superseded the Harvard Medical School Department of Physical Chemistry, which was founded in 1920. While located at the Harvard Medical School campus, the Laboratory was not affiliated with any particular school or department of the University, but cooperated with those departments with similar research objectives. Cohn was joined in the University Laboratory by his colleagues from the Harvard Medical School Department of Physical Chemistry: John T. Edsall (1902-2002), Associate Professor of Biological Chemistry; John L. Oncley (1910-2004), Associate Professor of Physical Chemistry; and Walter L. Hughes, Jr. (1915-2009), Assistant Professor of Physical Chemistry.
    The University Laboratory continued the research of the Harvard Medical School Department of Physical Chemistry, focusing primarily on protein chemistry, the formed elements of the blood, blood plasma fractionation (the process of separating out individual proteins found in blood plasma), and plasma preservation. Beginning in World War II, the department worked closely with the American Red Cross in efforts toward blood plasma fractionation, preservation, and substitution to facilitate more effective blood transfusions and prevent shock in injured soldiers. To this end, Laboratory members Edwin J. Cohn, Charles A. Janeway, and John L. Oncley served on National Research Council committees, including the Committee on Blood and Blood Derivatives, the Subcommittee on Blood and Related Problems, and the Subcommittee on Blood Substitutes. The department also collaborated locally with the Blood Research Institute (previously the Protein Foundation), Boston, Massachusetts, and the Commission on Plasma Fractionation and Related Processes, Boston, Massachusetts, in its research on blood plasma fractionation.
    The Harvard University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health was later incorporated into the Harvard Medical School Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, itself a product of the merger of the Department of Physical Chemistry and the Department of Pharmacology in 1987. The Department currently specializes in the use, development, and teaching of fundamental principles in biochemical, biophysical, molecular, and structural biology.

    Resources about the Harvard University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health.

    Arrangement

    Records are arranged alpha-chronologically by subject or title, as per the original arrangement.

    Scope and Content

    The Scientific Papers and Departmental Minutes of the Harvard University Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health, 1905-1967 (inclusive), 1940-1960 (bulk), are a product of the administrative, research, and publishing activities of the University Laboratory and its predecessor, the Harvard Medical School Department of Physical Chemistry, Boston, Massachusetts. The bulk of the records consist of departmental meeting minutes and bound scientific paper reprints published in connection with the University Laboratory and the Harvard Medical School Departments of Physical Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, including two bound copies of the scientific papers of Edwin J. Cohn published between 1916 and 1925 and one bound copy of the scientific papers of Lawrence J. Henderson published between 1878 and 1942. Meeting minutes and scientific paper reprints primarily concern protein chemistry, the formed elements of the blood, and blood plasma fractionation. Records also contain: collected pamphlets published by the University Laboratory concerning departmental history, policies, and events; meeting minutes and bulletins of the National Research Council Committees on Blood Substitutes, Blood and Related Problems, and Blood and Blood Derivatives; meeting minutes and administrative correspondence of the Commission on Plasma Fractionation and Related Processes, Boston, Massachusetts; and collected scientific paper reprints published in connection with the Protein Foundation (and its successor, the Blood Research Institute), Boston, Massachusetts. Scientific papers represent the work of numerous department members, including Edwin J. Cohn (1892-1953), John T. Edsall (1902-2002), John L. Oncley (1910-2004), and Charles Janeway (1909-1981), as well as George Richards Minot (1885-1950) and William Parry Murphy (1892-1987), who were not affiliated with the department but engaged in complementary research activities.
    Records are entirely in English.

    Container List

    Additional Index Terms

    Biochemistry.
    Blood proteins.
    Blood proteins -- Separation.
    Blood substitutes.
    Hematology.
    Physical chemistry.
    Public health.
    Biochemistry
    Blood Proteins
    Blood Substitutes
    Chemistry, Physical
    Hematology
    Public health
    Biochemists.
    Cohn, Edwin J. (Edwin Joseph), 1892-1953.
    Edsall, John T. (John Tileston), 1902-2002.
    Henderson, Lawrence Joseph, 1878-1942.
    Janeway, Charles.
    Minot, George Richards, 1885-1950
    Murphy, William Parry, 1892-
    Oncley, J. L. (John Lawrence).
    Harvard Medical School. Dept. of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology.
    Blood Research Institute (Boston, Mass.).
    Commission on Plasma Fractionation and Related Processes.
    Harvard Medical School. Dept. of Physical Chemistry.
    Harvard University. Laboratory of Physical Chemistry Related to Medicine and Public Health.
    National Research Council (U.S.). Division of Medical Sciences.
    Protein Foundation (Boston, Mass.).

    med00174