[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HMS.Count:med00056View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
BWH c7

Boston Lying-in Hospital. Records, 1855–1983 (Bulk 1921–1966): Finding Aid.

Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
Harvard Medical Library and Boston Medical Library

[link]


August 8, 2008

© 2007 The President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. Center for the History of Medicine.
Call No.: BWH c7
Creator: Boston Lying-in Hospital
Title: Records, 1855–1983 (Bulk 1921–1966).
Quantity: 5 cubic feet (1 standard record carton, 3 flat document boxes, and 1 roll of drawings.)
Abstract: The records of Boston Lying-in Hospital are the product of the hospital staff’s administrative, fundraising, publication, and public relations activities from 1855 through 1981.

Acquisition Information:

Boston Lying-in Hospital records were transferred from the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Medical Library to the Harvard Medical Library in 2005. Additional material was added as follows:
  • Accession number 2007-036 was transferred from the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Medical Library to the Harvard Medical Library in October, 2006.
  • Custodial history:

    Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) owns the records described in this finding aid. The Harvard Medical Library entered into a contract in 2005 to act as the repository for some of BWH’s archival records. Before the transfer to the Harvard Medical Library, the records were in storage at various locations within the BWH and later collected and assembled for transfer by Anne Fladger, Director of the BWH Medical Library.

    Processing Information:

    Staff archivists in the Harvard Medical Library, Center for the History of Medicine, (CHM) processed the archival records of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital under a service agreement with the BWH in 2005. The records, transferred in bulk from the BWH, were made up of records from all the individual hospitals that eventually merged to become the Affiliated Hospitals Center (AHC), which in turn became Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Processing staff made the decision to organize the records by their provenance, and processed and described each individual hospital’s records separately. Consequently, the original transfer yielded seven groups of records, one of which is the Boston Lying-in Hospital records.
    The records for each hospital were organized into series and described based on practices used at the Harvard Medical School Archives. Processing for this collection also involved primary preservation (refoldering and recontainering) and the creation of this detailed finding aid. Duplicate records and records that did not meet the archival collection goals of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Medical Library were discarded.
    This finding aid was updated by staff at the Center for the History of Medicine in 2007.

    Access Restrictions:

    Access requires advance notice. Consult the Director of Brigham and Women’s Hospital Medical Library for further information.
    (Email: BWHMedicalLibrary@partners.org.)

    Use Restrictions:

    Requests for permission to publish material from the collection should be directed to the Director of Brigham and Women’s Hospital Medical Library. (Email: BWHMedicalLibrary@partners.org.) However, the Brigham and Women’s Hospital does not hold copyright on all the materials in this collection. Researchers who obtain permission to publish from the Director are responsible for identifying and contacting the persons or organizations that hold copyright.

    Preferred citation for publication:

    Boston Lying-in Hospital records, 1855–1983 (bulk 1921–1966). BWH c7. Harvard Medical Library, Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, Boston, Mass.

    Related Collections in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, Center for the History of Medicine.

    Series and Subseries in the Collection

    Historical Notes

    Boston Lying-in Hospital (BLI) was the earliest incarnation of what is known today as the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. In 1832, the Massachusetts Charitable Fire Society and the Massachusetts Humane Society each contributed $5000 towards the establishment of a hospital “for the care and relief of poor and deserving women.” Dr. Walter Channing and Dr. Enoch Hale are credited as the founders and first attending physicians of the Boston Lying-in Hospital.
    Boston Lying-in Hospital provided maternity care for indigent women at 718 Washington Street in Boston, Massachusetts and was the first institution of its kind in New England. By 1853, BLI had outgrown its building and moved to Springfield and Worcester Streets. At this time the hospital was charging patients for board, but was not generating enough income to meet expenses. Consequently, the hospital was closed in 1856 and the property sold in 1857. By careful investment of the remaining funds after payment of debts, trustees were able to reopen the hospital in 1873 at 24 McLean Street. In 1923, BLI relocated once more to 221 Longwood Avenue across the street from the Harvard Medical School quadrangle. In 1932, Richardson House was added to provide more private rooms for new mothers.
    The Boston Lying-in Hospital’s obstetrics training program and the Free Hospital for Women’s gynecology training program, informally associated since 1922, were formally united in 1951. In 1966, the Boston Lying-in Hospital merged with the Free Hospital for Women in cooperation with Harvard Medical School, to form the Boston Hospital for Women (BHW). In 1975, BHW merged with the Peter Bent Brigham and the Robert B. Brigham Hospitals forming the Affiliated Hospitals Center. In 1980, at the time of the opening of a new state-of-the-art facility, the Affiliated Hospitals Center became known as the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, a teaching affiliate of the Harvard Medical School.
    Many advances in the practice of obstetrics in the United States were pioneered by staff at the Boston Lying-in Hospital, including the use of anesthesia for labor pain, using rubber gloves and washing hands to prevent infection, outpatient services, heated bassinets for premature infants, and a nurse training school. The hospital also established pre-natal care clinics, standards for cesarean section procedures, cardiac care for pregnant women, and preventative medicine for newborns. The first RH factor in blood was also identified at BLI. These advances produced a steady, and often dramatic, drop in both maternal and fetal mortality rates over the course of its 134 years of independent operation.

    Bibliography

    Scope and Content

    The Boston Lying-in Hospital records include, primarily, those records that were created during the time period that BLI was a separate record keeping entity—before its merger with the Free Hospital for Women in 1966. Most of the records in this collection are 20th century in origin. Very few 19th century records are included except for some modern copy prints of early photographs. Some photographs in the collection are dated after 1966. The records capture the administrative and social history of the hospital through annual reports, photographs, clippings, special event planning records, and publications. Also included are some building specifications and blueprints for the hospital’s facility at Longwood Avenue. Except for a few photographs, the records do not include patient, student, or research records.

    Box and Folder Lists


    med00056