Holmes, Edward J., Collection of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Materials, 1853-1944:
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 13128850
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Edward J. Holmes collection of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. materials
Quantity: 3.5 boxes (1 linear feet)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: Edward Holmes was Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr's nephew. The Edward J. Holmes collection
of materials relating to Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. and his family consists of correspondence,
estate matters, and various family documents.
Mr. & Mrs. Edward J.Holmes in May 1942 (from Houghton). Additional gift made by Estate
of Mary Stacy Holmes (wife of Edward) in February 1965
In 2011 the collection known as the Oliver Wendell Holmes (1841-1935), Papers 1637-1967, was reprocessed by Margaret Peachy. Five new collections were created from this one collection:
The John G. Palfrey (1875-1945)Collection of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Papers, 1715-1938;
The Mark DeWolfe Howe Research Materials On Oliver WendellHolmes, Jr., 1858-1968;
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.,Addenda, 1818-1978;
The Edward J. Holmes Collection ofOliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Materials, 1853-1944;
Letters from Holmes to Lady Castleton Small ManuscriptCollection.
The decision to reprocess the original Holmes papers was based primarily on two factors.
First, the original Holmes donation (i.e. the material gathered by his executor John
G. Palfrey) had been corrupted by the inclusion of additional material over many years
from various sources, which combined to create a collection that misrepresented the
original donation. Second, this practice of adding to the original collection resulted
in a complex and difficult to use finding aid.
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Historical
and Special Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Historical and Special Collections staff. Researchers who
obtain permission to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible
for identifying and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
The entirety of the Edward J. Holmes Collection of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Materials,
1853-1944 has been digitized. To access individual folders, please click the appropriate
link in the container list below. This collection also comprises part of the Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Digital Suite , which brings together all of the digitized holdings of the Harvard Law School Library
by or about Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
- Series I. OWH Correspondence, 1894-19351894-1935
- Series II. OWH Estate Matters, 1931-19391931-1939
- Series III. Holmes Family, 1793-19441793-1944Within eachseries and/or subseries individual items or folders are identified bybox
and folder number. For example, the number 5-12 corresponds tobox 5, folder 12.
The Edward J. Holmes collection of materials relating to Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. and his family consists
of correspondence, estate matters, and various family documents, with some of the
family documents relating to Fanny Dixwell Holmes's (OWH's wife) family history. Edward Holmes was OWH's nephew and had inherited these
documents that include a number of items regarding trusts and estates held in the
family. The bulk of the items date from the 1860s to the 1930s, with one family document
dating back to 1793.
- Series: OWH Correspondence, 1894-1935
- 1-1 to 1-10. OWH Correspondence, 1894-1935
From Houghton Library carton.
These are all letters received by OWH. Correspondence consists of letters congratulating
OWH on his birthdays in 1926, 1927, and 1928, congratulations upon receiving the Roosevelt
medal in June 1924, letters discussing his dissent in the Schwimmer case, letters
of good wishes at Christmas time, etc. These letters had very little original arrangement.
Number in parenthesis after name indicates number of items; if no parenthesis, correspondent
sent one item only.
- 1-1. Correspondence - Anderson through Brandeis, 1922-1929.
Date: 1922-1929. Correspondence - Anderson through Brandeis, 1922-1929
- Anderson, George W., U.S. Distr. Judge, Boston
- Armstrong, C. H. A., 1926
- Arnold, Constantine P., Pres.,
State Board of Law Examiners, Wyoming, 1925
- Axtell, Silas Blake,
- Barbour, Rosamond P.,
- Barstow, H. M., 1925
- Beach, Morgan H.,
- Beale, Joseph Henry,
- Belknap, Chauncey (2),
- Benjamin, Robert M. (2),
- Beveridge, Albert J.,
- Bicknell, Thomas W.,
- Biddle, Francis,
- Bliss, Don A., 1926
- Bliven, Bruce, ed., New
- Borchard, Edwin M., Yale Law School, 1925
- Bradstreet, H.C.,
- Brandeis, Louis
Dembitz, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of U.S. (3), 1926,
- 1-2. Correspondence - Broghum through Conant, 1924-1935.
Date: 1924-1935. Correspondence - Broghum through Conant, 1924-1935
- Broghum, Cutzon, 1926
- Brown, La Rue, 1927
- Bryce, E. Marion (3), 1925, 1928, 1935
- Bunner, Alice L. (Mrs. H.C. Bunner), 1929
- Butler, Nicholas Murray, Columbia University (2), 1924
- Cabot, Susan (2),
- Campbell, John, Associate
Justice, Supreme Court, Colorado, 1925
- Castletown, Lord, ca.
- Cheney, S. A., 1925
- Bright, O. E., 1927
- Clemens, Cyril, 1926
- Clarke, Hohn H.
- Cohen, Morris
Raphael, Prof. and legal philospher, College of the City of N. Y. (6), 1924, 1926, 1927, 1928
- Columbia Law
- Conant, Isabel Fiske
- 1-3. Correspondence - Coolidge through Fuller, 1923-1929.
Date: 1923-1929. Correspondence - Coolidge through Fuller, 1923-1929
- Coolidge, Calvin, Pres. of U. S., 1924
- Coolidge, Grace, wife of Pres. of U. S., 1924
- Cooper, Wade H., 1926
- Coudert, Frederic R., 1925
- Coyle, Albert F., 1923
- Curtis, Laurence, 2nd, 1926
- Dapping, William O., 1927
- Derby, Augustin, 1926
- Dilliard, Irving, 1928
- Filene, Edward A., 1923
- Fith, Clara Atwood, 1927
- Fitzgerald, John T., 1927
- Foote, Harriet R., 1926
- Forbes, Alice B.
- Foster, Fred Lawrence, 1929
- Frankfurter, Felix (7), 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928
- Friedman, Lee M., 1926
- Fuller, Alvan T., Governor of Massachusetts, 1926
- 1-4. Correspondence - Glenn through Hutchins, 1923-1928.
Date: 1923-1928. Correspondence - Glenn through Hutchins, 1923-1928
- Glenn, Nannie Ashton, 1926
- Glenn, William M., 1928
- Glick, David, 1926
- Gloede, Richard F., 1926
- Gordon, Thurlow M. (2), 1925, 1926
- Guthrie, William D., 1926
- Hackett, Chauncey, 1926
- Hallowell, Sarah W., 1927
- Hamlin, Charles S.
- Hand, Learned, U.S. Circuit Judge, 2nd Circuit (5), 1923, 1924, 1925, 1927, 1928
- Handler, Milton, 1927
- Harrison, George L., 1927
- Hill, Arthur Dehon, 1927
- Hirsh, Abram G., 1927
- Hobbs, Harriet B., 1926
- Hughes, Charles Evans, Chief Justice, Supreme Court of U.S., 1927
- Hutchins, Robert M., Yale
- 1-5. Correspondence - Hutchins through Lincoln, 1923-1928.
Date: 1923-1928. Correspondence - Hutchins through Lincoln, 1923-1928
- Hutchins, William J. (2), 1924, 1926
- Jackson, C. C., 1924
- Johnson, Rossiter, 1926
- Kaneko, Kentaro (2), 1924, 1925
- Keating, Edward, 1926
- Keck, Frank A., 1926
- Klein, Alfred M., 1926
- Klingel, M. P., 1926
- Knowlton, Frank W., 1927
- LaFollette, Philip F., 1926
- Landau, Lloyd H. (5), 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928
- Leach, W. Barton, Jr. (2), 1926, 1927
- Lefrak, Louis (Dr.) 1927
- Lepaulle, Pierre (2), 1923, 1926
- The Lexington Leader,Lexington, Ky., 1926
- Lincoln, Robert,
- 1-6. Correspondence - Lippmann through Morse, 1926-1930.
Date: 1926-1930. Correspondence - Lippmann through Morse, 1926-1930
- Lippmann, Walter, ed., The World, 1926
- Little, Eliza A., 1926
- Loring, William Caleb
- McChord, C. C., 1927
- Mathews, D. Seldon, 1930
- McKenna, 1926
- Mack, Julian W., U.S. Circuit Judge, 1926
- Mecklin, John M., 1928
- Maguire, Algernon, H., 1926
- Mand, Louise Auerbach, 1926
- Martin, Kingsley, 1926
- Michael, Jerome, 1926
- Middlesex County Bar Association., Massachusetts, 1928
- Nutter, George R.,
- Mitchell, William D., U.S.
Solicitor General, 1928
- Moore, John D., 1926
- Morse, John T., Jr. (3),
- 1-7. Correspondence - Morton through Root, 1923-1928.
Date: 1923-1928. Correspondence - Morton through Root, 1923-1928
- Morton, James M., Jr., 1928
- New York Times, 1926
- Nicely, James M. (3), 1925,
- Nordlinger, Henry H.,
- Olds, Irving S. (4), 1924,
- Olney, Richard, 1926
- Palfrey, John Gorham
(3), 1925, 1927, 1928
- Parsons, Henry P., Mayor, Gloucester, Mass., 1926
- Pillsbury, A. E. (3), 1924,
- Poe, C. K., 1926
- Pollock, Georgina,
- Pound, Roscoe, Dean, Harvard Law School, 1923
- Powell, E. Henry
- Probst, Nathan, Jr. (2),
- Redlich, Joseph, Prof., Harvard Law School, 1927
- Root, Elihu,
- 1-8. Correspondence - Rosenzweig through Taft, 1923-1928.
Date: 1923-1928. Correspondence - Rosenzweig through Taft, 1923-1928
- Rosenzweig, William, 1928
- Rowe, J., Director General, Pan American Union (4), 1924, 1926, 1927
- Ryan, John A., 1923
- St. John's College of Law, Brooklyn, N.Y., 1926
- Schechter, Frank I.,
- Sealy, Donald F.,
- Sergeant, Elizabeth Shepley
- Shaw, Mira Lincoln (Mrs. Franklin Shaw)1927
- Sneed, Richard A.,
Secretary of State, Okl. (2), 1926
- Society of Practical Psychology
- Stone, Harlan Fiske,
Ass. Justice, Supreme Court of U.S. (2), 1926, 1927
- Stone, Mansfield (2), 1927,
- Sulzer, William,
- Taft, William Howard, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of U.S.,
- 1-9. Correspondence - Tapley through Williston, 1924-1929.
Date: 1924-1929. Correspondence - Tapley through Williston, 1924-1929
- Tapley, Alice P., 1929
- Thompson, William G., 1927
- Toileau, Lisa Ysoye, 1929
- Tweeddale, Marguerite
- Wallace, Mildred F., 1927
- Warburg, Paul and Nina
- Whiting, Myles, 1926
- Wigmore, John Henry (4), 1924, 1927, 1928
- Willebrandt, Mabel Walker, Ass't. Att. General of U.S.
- (3), 1924, 1926, 1928
- Williams, Constance, 1924
- Williston, Samuel, Prof., Harvard Law School (2), 1925
- 1-10. Correspondence - Wilmer through Wynne, Unidentified, Calling Cards, 1923-1929.
Date: 1923-1929. Correspondence - Wilmer through Wynne, Unidentified, Calling Cards, 1923-1929
- Wilmer, W. H. (Dr.), 1924
- Wissmann, Harry B., 1927
- Wormser, J. Maurice, ed., New York Law Journal (2), 1923, 1926
- Wright, William B., ed., Boston Globe (2), 1924, 1926
- Wu, John C. H., 1923
- Wynne, Peter, 1929
- Unidentified letters: (8)
- Calling cards: (7)
- Series: OWH Estate Matters, 1931-1939
- 1-18. Carbon copy of "Appraisal of personal Property, Situated at Beverly Farms, Mass.,
estate of Oliver Wendell Holmes", made by Pierce S. Haley, Boston, May 13, 1935.
Date: May 13, 1935. Carbon copy of "Appraisal of personal Property, Situated at Beverly Farms, Mass.,
estate of Oliver Wendell Holmes", made by Pierce S. Haley, Boston, May 13, 1935
This material is clipped in soft covers.
- 1-19. Letters sent to EJH concerning OWH's will, disposition of furniture, books, and the
OWH Devise, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1939.
Date: 1935, 1936, 1938, 1939. Letters sent to EJH concerning OWH's will, disposition of furniture, books, and the
OWH Devise, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1939
Includes letters from J. G. Palfrey,H. C. Lodge, Jr., James M. Landis, Eldon R. James.
- Series: Holmes Family, 1793-1944
- 2-1 to 2-21. Miscellaneous biographical, personal, and family material collected by EJH.
- 2-13. A.B.A. Journal, January 1943.
Date: January 1943. A.B.A. Journal, January 1943
(v. 29): Article by George R. Farnum, "Oliver Wendell Holmes: Jurist, soldier and philosopher," p. 17 and 18; also full-page
portrait on front cover of OWH in the uniform of the Twentieth Regiment of Massachusetts
- 2-17. 2 letters addressed to EJH: 2 letters addressed to EJH:
- From his grandfather, Dr. O. W. Holmes, dated May 18, 1891
- From William R. Thayer of Cambridge, Mass., concerning Thayer's publication of John Holmes' letters, dated Feb. 8, 1917.
- 2-19. Miscellaneous items, 1935-1940.
Date: October 11, 1937 and October 6, 1941, Miscellaneous items, 1935-1940
Addressed to or written by EJH and his wife. Includes letters from Harlan F. Stone, dated
Date: October 11, 1937 and October 6, 1941, respectively.
- 2-25. Edward J. Holmes, Jr., miscellany, incl. autobiographical sketch, invitations, etc., 1938-1941.
Date: 1938-1941. Edward J. Holmes, Jr., miscellany, incl. autobiographical sketch, invitations, etc.,
From envelope marked " Mary Stacy Holmes Estate."
- 3-6 to 3-11. From papers marked in OWH's handwriting "The written papers seem to concern Edward
Holmes Trusteeship re..." 1892
Administration of estates.
Trusts and trustees.
Brandeis, Louis Dembitz, 1856-1941.
Cohen, Morris Raphael, 1880-1947.
Frankfurter, Felix, 1882-1965.
Holmes, Edward Jackson,
Holmes, Fanny Bowditch Dixwell,
Holmes, John, 1812-1899.
Holmes, Mary Stacy
Holmes, Oliver Wendell,
Hughes, Charles Evans,
Palfrey, John Gorham,
Pound, Roscoe, 1870-1964.
Sargent, Amelia Jackson Holmes, 1843-1889.
Stone, Harlan Fiske, 1872-1946.
William H. (William Howard), 1857-1930.
Jacob, ca. 1691-1761.
Wigmore, John Henry,
Wu, Ching-hsiung, 1899-