[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HLS.Libr:law00234View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
HOLLIS 601619

Harvard Law School. Chancery Club Records, 1926-1962: Finding Aid

Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University

[link]


Harvard Law School

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 601619
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Harvard Law School. Chancery Club
Title: Harvard Law School Chancery Club records
Date(s): 1926-1962
Quantity: 6 boxes (2.5 linear feet)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: The records of the Chancery Club of Harvard Law School, including financial, administrative and membership documents.

Immediate Source of Acquisition:

Consult Curator of Modern Manuscripts and Archives.

Processing Information:

Processed by Meenchul Kim and Margaret Peachy, April 2010

Conditions Governing Access:

Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Historical and Special Collections staff for further information.

Conditions Governing Use:

The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be directed to the Historical and Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.

Historical/Biographical Information


"Organized informally before the First World War, The Chancery Club was chartered in 1926 under the corporation laws of Massachusetts. Its purposes, as set forth in the By-laws, are to "provide and maintain Club facilities for its members and their guests, to promote social contact and professional association, and to further the study of Jurisprudence among the members of the Harvard Law School."
The Chancery Club House served as the club's social center as well as providing housing for eighteen members. Informal dances, faculty smokers, beer and cocktail parties, and bi-weekly bridge tournaments were among some of the activities held by the club.
"Chancery has a membership of about 160 men and has grown into a sizable business enterprise run efficiently through an extensive committee system under the supervision of a Board of Governors. Such committees as Social, Membership, New-Member, Athletic, and Finance furnish a basis for wide membership participation in Club administration."

This information is taken from an overview submitted by the club for inclusion in the 1949 Harvard Law School Yearbook. The full entry can be be found on page 148 of the yearbook.

Series List/Description

Scope and Contents

The Chancery Club Records, 1926-1962, contain financial, administrative and membership documents for the club, the bulk of which are from 1950-1960. Also included are documents pertaining to the purchase of 9 Chauncy St, which became the home of the Chancery Club in 1959. The collection includes ledgers, correspondence, meeting minutes, and a few photographs.

Container List

Additional Index Terms

Harvard Law School. Chancery Club.
Harvard University -- Students -- Societies, etc.
Harvard Law School -- Students -- Societies, etc.
Harvard University -- Food service.

law00234