Sedgwick, Robert and Theodore III. Papers, 1832-1849.
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: HOLLIS 9006647
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Robert Sedgwick and Theodore Sedgwick III papers
Quantity: 1.5 boxes
Language of materials: English
Abstract: Letters written to New York city attorneys Robert and Theodore Sedgwick between the
years 1832-1849. Most of the correspondence relates to legal business but there are
occasional references to politics, personal news and family information.
Acquired November 2002.
Processed by Rebecca Fenning,February 2006.
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special
Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
This collection contains letters written to Robert Sedgwick (1787-1841) and Theodore Sedgwick III (1811-1859) as part of their law practice.
The practice was established by Robert and his brother, Henry Dwight Sedgwick. Theodore
(Roberts nephew) joined the office in 1835, taking over in 1838 after Robert suffered
a stroke. Most of the correspondence relates to legal business but there are occasional
references to politics, personal news and family information. One of the more notable
cases mentioned is the Fanny Kemble - Pierce Butler libel suit and divorce case. This case is discussed in letters written by Benjamin Gerhard to Theodore from 1847-1849.
- 1-1 to 1-11. Letters to Theodore Sedgwick III, 1835-1849
- 1-1. 1835-June 1837
Date: 1835-June 1837
- 1-2. August 1837-September 1838
Date: August 1837-September 1838
- 1-3. January-July 1839
Date: January-July 1839
- 1-4. August 1839-January 1841
Date: August 1839-January 1841
- 1-5. February 1841-January 1842
Date: February 1841-January 1842
- 1-6. February-July 1842
Date: February-July 1842
- 1-7. 1842-1843
- 1-8. 1844-1845
- 1-9. 1846-1847
- 1-10. Correspondence from Benjamin Gerhard regarding Fanny Kemble - Pierce Butler divorce case, 1847-1849
- 1-11. 1848-April 1849
Date: 1848-April 1849
- 2-1 to 2-2. Letters to Robert Sedgwick and Theodore Sedgwick III, 1837-1841.
- 2-1. Correspondence from William D. Lewis, 1837
- 2-2. May 1837-September 1838, August-September 1841
Date: May 1837-September 1838, August-September 1841
- 2-3 to 2-5. Letters to Robert Sedgwick, 1832-1838
- 2-3. November 1832-May 1835
Date: November 1832-May 1835
- 2-4. June 1835-December 1837
Date: June 1835-December 1837
- 2-5. Correspondence from James Wadsworth, 1837-1838
- 2-6. Miscellaneous correspondence, non-Sedgwick addressees and senders, 1825-1844