Nason & Proctor. Briefs, 1894-1926: Finding Aid
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 9347103
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Nason & Proctor
Title: Nason & Proctor briefs
Quantity: 1 collection (2 Paige
Language of materials: English
Abstract: This collection consists of seven volumes of Massachusetts court documents, mostly
briefs in matters of tort and contract law, filed on behalf of Nason & Proctor's Boston-area
According to the bookplates, the series is part of a larger 15-volume set, received
by the Harvard Law Library December 24, 1932. The HLS Accession Books and the bookplates
also record that the collection was a gift of " Gordon, Proctor & Hoar, " but no record exists in Martindale-Hubbell of a firm by that name. The resemblance
to that of one of Boston's oldest and largest law firms, Goodwin, Procter & Hoar (now
Goodwin Procter LLP, no relation to Thomas W. Proctor) is obvious, but for that reason
it seems an unlikely mistake.
Processed by Jennifer Carter, 2004.
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special
Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
The Boston law firm of Nason & Proctor first appears in Hubbell's legal directory
in 1895, advertising its services in "Mercantile, Insolvent, and Corporation Law.
All the Courts." That advertisement ran nearly unchanged through 1931, the year of
its last appearance in the directory.
Little is known about Robert W. Nason; his biography does not appear alongside his law partner's in either Hubbell's or
Bench and Bar of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in Two Volumes (William T. Davis, Boston, 1895). He was admitted to the bar in 1875 and apparently died before 1930, if not much earlier.
Thomas William Proctor was born in Hollis, New Hampshire November 20, 1858. After attending Dartmouth College (A.B., 1879) he enrolled at Boston University where he earned his LL.B.. He was admitted to the bar in October 1883. He began his
legal practice with John H. Hardy and Samuel J. Elder in the firm of Hardy, Elder & Proctor, which became Elder & Proctor in 1885. Before his association with Nason, Proctor also served as Suffolk County Assistant District Attorney (1886-1891) and Boston City Solicitor (1891-1894).
Nason & Proctor appears to have dissolved in 1931 or 1932, apparently upon Proctor's
death. It is not known how or when the collection left the Nason & Proctor offices.
The collection consists of seven volumes dating from 1894 to 1926. They contain Massachusetts court documents, mostly briefs, filed on behalf of Nason & Proctor's Boston-area
The cases cover a wide range of subject matter in tort and contract law. Some are
wills and estates cases; of additional interest are the Commissioner of Banks cases (Volume 6), dealing with the liability of stockholders in trust companies.
Many documents are heavily annotated in ink and colored pencil.
- Series: Box 1 - Volume 1
- Brewster, Frank et al Trustees of the Bowditch Apartment Co. v. Seeger
- Coleman, Patrick v. The Mechanics Iron Foundry Co.
- Comm. v. Henry E. Bishop et al
- The De La Vergne Refrigerating Mche Co. v. Hub Brewing Co.
- The De La Vergne Refrigerating Mche Co. v. Hub Brewing Co. et al.
- Eaves v. Atlantic Novelty Mfg. Co.
- Kenney v. Hingham Cordage Co.
- Lansky v. West End Street Rwy Co.
- Laplante v. Warren Cotton Mills
- McMahan v. McHale et al
- McMahan v. John Doe et al
- Margaret Reif v. O'Brien et al
- Powers v. Boston & Maine R.R.
- Whelton v. West End Street Rwy. Co.
- White v. Levi A. Dame et als
- Box 1 - Volume 2
- Bain v. Atkins and the Union Casualty & Surety Co. of St. Louis, Mo.
- Bean et als, Petitioners v. Comm. of Massachusetts
- Inhabitants of the Town of Belmont v. N.E. Brick Co.
- Bradford, Treas. of Comm. v. McQuesten
- Byron, Adm. v. Lynn & Boston Railroad
- Chesley v. Nantasket Beach Steamboat Co.
- Eldredge, Pet'r. v. County Comm'rs of Norfolk Co.
- Fottlinger v. Moseley
- Gray et al, Trustees v. Thos. J. Kelley
- Hall v. Wakefield & Stoneham St. Rwy. Co.
- Hayes, Adm. v. Pitts Kimball Co.
- Moore v. Jacobs et al
- McLean, Adm. v. G.F.D.Paine et al
- Nantasket Beach Steamboat Co. v. Shea et al
- Nantasket Beach Steamboat Co. v. Hinckel Brewing Co.
- Nantasket Beach Steamboat Co. v. Preston
- N.Y. N.H. & H. R.R. Co. v. James E. O'Leary
- O'Connell, Jos. P. et al v. N.Y. N.H. & H. R.R. Co.
- Robertson, Martha A. v. Robertson, Minnie H.
- Scannell v. Hub Brewing Co.
- Thompson, Robt. v. U.S. of America
- Ware v. Evangelical Baptist Benevolent & Missionary Society of Boston
- White, Jas. G. v. McPeck et al
- Box 1 - Volume 3
- Betts v. U. S. of America
- Chicago Daily News Co. Pet'r. in matter of Pettingill & Co., alleged bankrupt
- Commonwealth v. Charles S. Stuart et als
- Fernald v. S.A.D. Sheppard et al
- French, Sam'l P. v. Boston Coal Co.
- French, Sam'l P. v. Converse
- Gettins v. Thos. J. Kelley
- In the matter of the application of the Goss Printing Press Co.Goss Printing Press Co. v. Todd
- Jones, Henry B. Adm. v. City of Boston
- Lovering Adm. v. Balch et als.
- Mass. Construction Co. v. Kidd
- Malden & Melrose Gas Light Co. v. Chandler
- Attorney General Ex Rel. v. George H. Ellis
- Knowlton Atty. Gen. v. Ellis
- Mastrangelo, Adm. b. Boston Elevated Railway Co.
- McCall, Sam'l W. et al, Receivers Union Trust Co. v. N.Y. Life Insurance Co.Advertiser Newspaper Co. v. SameAdvertiser Newspaper Co. v. Same
- McInerney, Jas. v. U.S. of America
- Missell Sam p.o.a. v. Jas. T. Lennox et al
- Newton Centre Trust Co. v. Stuart et ali.Newton Centre Savings Bank v. Stuart et ali.
- Ray, Milton v. DeButts et al, Board of Selectmen of Revere
- Richards v. Keyes & Tuttle
- Simpson v. Rand Avery Supply Co.
- Snow and others v. Henry Bigelow Williams
- Weeks v. Stuart, Chas. S.
- Whitman v. McIntyre et al
- Box 2 - Volume 4
- Adams v. Boston Elevated Railway Co.
- C. A. Briggs Co. v. National Waifer Co.
- Brown, Chas. R. v. Journal Newspaper Co.
- Franklin Savings Bank v. Framingham
- John Herbert, Ex'r v. Simson
- Isenbeck v. Burroughs and DeBlois
- Rolfe v. Nathan F. Tufts
- Box 2 - Volume 5
- Bindbeutel v. Wilcutt & Sons Co.
- Bradley Lbr. & Mfg. Co. v. Cutler et al
- Cauman v. BiggarCauman v. Lowe, Donald & Co.
- Cosmopolitan Trust Co. v. Cohen
- Crosby v. Simpson and Niles
- Alexander Doyle v. Peerless Motor Car Co. of N. E.
- Beacon Motor Car Co. v. Grace D. Shadman
- Hesseltine, Executrix v. Partridge et al
- Jordan, Adm. v. Malden Electric Co.
- Labrecque, Admx. v. Donham, Receiver Bay State St. Rwy Co.
- Nashua River Paper Co. v. Lindsay & Tr. #4261
- Orpin, Petitioner v. Jas. G. Morrison et al
- (Lewis) Parkhurst et al, Trs. v. Ginn et als
- (Bessie L.) Sleeper v. Park et al, Trs.
- (Joseph W.) Sleeper v. Park et al, Trs.
- Towle, Petitioner v. Wingate
- Withington v. Fidelity & Casualty Co. of N.Y.
- Box 2 - Volume 6
- Allen, Frank J. et al v. Winifred Roughan Gurarante et al
- Bar Ass'n of the City of Boston v. Peter J. Casey
- Breen, Margaret v. Jas. Emlah
- Breen, Stephen D. v. Jas. Emlah
- Brosnan, Patrick T. v. Martina A. Gage
- Commissioner of Banks Cases:
- Central Automobile Tire Co. v. Comm'r of Banks
- John K. Bates et al v. Cosmopolitan Trust Co.
- Commissioner of Banks v. Cosmopolitan Trust Co. and Geo. Anthony et al
- Cosmopolitan Trust Co. v. Frank Cohen
- Goldband, Harry v. Comm'r of Banks
- Andrews, Jacob v. Comm'r of Banks
- Goldfine, Rose S. v. Comm'r of Banks
- Hecker Jones Jewell Co. v. Cosmopolitan Trust Co. et al
- Cosmopolitan Trust Co. v. Max Mitchell et al
- Winifred Steele et al v. Comm'r of Banks in possession of PRUDENTIAL Trust Co.
- Cosmopolitan Trust Co. v. Jacob Wasserman
- Annie G. Cronan v. Comm'r of Banks et al
- John F. Cronan v. Comm'r of Banks et al
- Salem Elevator Works, Inc. v. Comm'r of Banks
- Edgar B. Fraser v. Comm'r of Banks
- Yesner, Abram v. Comm'r of Banks
- Gardiner, John D. v. Wm. F. Jardine et al
- Graham, Blanche A. Admx. v. Clarence A. Barnes
- Box 2 - Volume 7
- Grasselli Dyestuff Corporation v. John Campbell & Co. etc.
- Greene, Annie L. et al v. Boston Safe Deposit & Trust Co. et al Executors of the will of Samuel G. Chickering
- Ipswich Mills v. Wm. Dillon et al
- Lalime & Partridge v. George R. Hobbs
- George R. Hobbs v. Lalime & Partridge
- Nashua River Paper Co. v. Edwin P. Lindsay (Other briefs etc. in former book)
- North Shore Blue Book, Inc. v. Robert Burlen
- Mary M. Withington, Tr. v. Fidelity & Casualty Co.
- Fidelity & Casualty Co. v. Mary M. Withington, Tr.
- Wood, Henry A. et al v. Arba S. Baldwin
- Wood, Henry A. et al, Executors v. Evia A. Stone
Stocks--Law and legislation
Nason, Robert W.
Proctor, Thomas William, 1858-