Loring, Augustus Peabody. Papers, 1896-1926: Finding Aid
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 2136631
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Augustus Peabody, 1856-1938
Title: Augustus Peabody Loring papers
Quantity: 3 boxes
Language of materials: English
Abstract: The Loring Collection primarily consists of material on trusts and related legal issues,
but also contains papers related to the publishing of Loring's book, A Trustee's Handbook, and some material from his two terms as a state senator.
Contact Curator of Modern Manuscripts and Archives.
Prepared by David de Lorenzo, Curator of Manuscripts and Archives. Reprocessed by Sally Vermaaten, Spring 2004.
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special
Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
Born in Boston, December 7, 1856, son of Caleb William and Elizabeth S. Loring.
A.B. from Harvard College, 1878
LL.B. from Harvard Law School, 1881
Studied in the office of Benjamin F. Brooks in Boston, 1881
Admitted to the Suffolk Bar, Nov. 1881
Married Ellen Gardner, June 3, 1884. Had three children, Augustus Peabody, Jr., Caleb, Ellen Gardner Vaughan.
Author of A Trustee's Handbook (1898)
Trustee: Albany Trust, Beacon Chambers Trust, Bedford Trust.
Served two terms in the Massachusetts Senate, 1918-1920.
The papers of Augustus Peabody Loring span from 1896 to 1928, and cover his years as an author, trustee, lawyer, and state senator. Loring's notes
on trusts and associated legal topics make up the bulk of the collection. Also included
are correspondence and contracts relating to the publishing of Loring's book, A Trustee's Handbook, as well as a typescript draft of the book; legal memoranda; a diary kept from 1903 to 1905; a scrapbook filled with political news items from Loring's years in the Massachusetts
Senate; and a commonplace book.
- 1-1. Agreements & Correspondence w/ Little Brown & Co., 1896-1926
(Note: some material in this folder is very fragile and photocopies of these papers
are provided in the folder. If there are photocopies an item, the originals are not
to be used.)
- 1-2. Diary, 1903-1905. Contains laid-in letters and newspaper clippings.
- 1-3. Scrapbook, 1918-1919. Filled with political news items
- 1-4. Notebook with mss. notes (direct excerpts?), diagrams, etc. on trusts, 111 p.n.d.
Bibliographic citations in margins
- 1-5. Commonplace Book, [ 1894?]
- 1-6. Notes, 1926-1931
- 1-7. Law Memoranda, 1899-1907
- 1-8. Massachusetts Cases, 1918-1922
- 1-9. Appointment and Removal, 1921-1925
- 1-10. Trustees Duty to Care, 1916-1924
- 1-11. A Trustees Handbook (typescript w/ manuscript notes), n.d.
- 1-12. Spendthrift Trust, 1916-1926
- 1-13. Liability -- Inactive Trustee, 1912-1926
- 2-1. Statute of Limitations, 1918-1924
- 2-2. Termination, 1915-1923
- 2-3. Cases on Trusts, 1607-1858
- 2-4. Cases on Trusts, 1898-1899
- 2-5. Cases on Trusts, 1900-1901
- 2-6. Cases on Trusts, 1901-1902
- 2-7. Cases on Trusts, 1902-1903
- 2-8. Cases on Trusts, 1903-1905
- 2-9. Cases on Trusts, 1905-1906
- 2-10. Cases on Trusts, 1908-1909
- 3-1. Cases on Trusts, 1909-1912
- 3-2. Cases on Trusts, 1912-1913
- 3-3. Cases on Trusts -- Miscellaneous, n.d.
- 3-4. Cases on Trusts, 1914-1915
- 3-5. Cases on Trusts, 1922-1926
- 3-6. Trust Notes, 1915-1916
- 3-7. Abstracts, 1917
- 3-8. Cases on Trusts, 1919-1922
- 3-9. Cases on Trusts, 1918
- 3-10. Cases on Trusts, 1919
- 3-11. Notes on Trusts, 1920
- 3-12. Notes on Trusts, 1921-1922
- 3-13. Notes on Trusts, 1923
- 3-14. Notes on Trusts, 1924
- 3-15. Notes on Trusts, 1925
- 3-16. Notes on Trusts, 1926
- 3-17. Notes on Trusts, 1927
Trusts and trustees -- Massachusetts
Little, Brown and
Loring, Augustus Peabody,