Harvard Law School. Memoranda of the Committee on Educational Planning and Development,
1979-1980: Finding Aid.
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 593978
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Harvard Law School
Title: Harvard Law School Memoranda of the Committee on Educational Planning and Development
Quantity: 1 boxes
Language of materials: English
Abstract: Memoranda of the Harvard Law School Committee on Educational Planning and Development,
also known as the Michelman Committee due to the name of its chairman, Frank I. Michelman.
Collection transferred by Frank I. Michelman, 1981(?).
Processed by Anne Ramsay, 2002.
Each item in this collection is closed to researchers for 50 years from the date of
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
This collection consists of memoranda of the Harvard Law School Committee on Educational
Planning and Development, also known as the Michelman Committee due to the name of
its chairman, Frank I. Michelman. The bulk of the collection dates from February 1979
to April 1980. Total inclusion dates are 1960-1981.
- Box 1 - Folder, Memoranda of the Committee on Educational Planning and Development,
- 1-1. Explanatory note by Michelman, 1 May 1980.
- 1-2. Memoranda to faculty and students, Feb. 1979.
- 1-3. Memorandum to Michelman Re: Agenda Items for the Michelman Committee, 22 March 1979.
- 1-4. Letter to Michelman from Bruce Ferguson, 30 March 1979.
- 1-5. Memorandum from Jeff Kindler Re: Some Observations About the First Year of Law School,
20 June 1979.
- 1-6. Memorandum from Nancy Wiegers and Karen Falkenstein (alternate) Re: The First Year
Curriculum, 22 June 1979.
- 1-7. Memorandum from Michelman Re: Agenda for the Next Meeting, 13 Sept. 1979.
- 1-8. Memorandum to student organizations, 22 Oct. 1979.
- 1-9. Committee Status Report #1, 1 Nov. 1979.
- 1-10. Memorandum from David Shapiro Re: Use of Student Teachers, 2 Nov. 1979.
- 1-11. Memorandum from Shapiro, 16 Nov. 1979.
- 1-12. Memorandum from David Cavers Re: A Model for Clustering, 16 Nov. 1979.
- 1-13. "A 'Concentrations' Model for Upper-Class Education at Harvard Law School" by Michelman,
1 Dec. 1979.
- 1-14. Appendix A for Michelman's "A 'Concentrations' Model," 4 Dec. 1979.
- 1-15. Memorandum from Charles Nesson, 5 Dec. 1979.
- 1-16. Memorandum from Michelman with attachment: "The Goals of Legal Education at the Harvard
Law School" by Robert Clark, 10 Dec. 1979.
- 1-17. Memorandum from Clark Re: Policy Statement, 10 Dec. 1979.
- 1-18. Memorandum from Cavers Re: Instant Reactions to Your Memo, 12 Dec. 1979.
- 1-19. Memorandum from Jim Vorenberg, 18 Dec. 1979.
- 1-20. Memorandum from Kindler Re: Some Thoughts About Concentrations and Other Matters,
11 Jan. 1980.
- 1-21. Memorandum from Michelman Re: Meeting Agenda, 14 Jan 1980.
- 1-22. Memorandum from Michelman with attachment Re: IL Curriculum Revision , 21 Jan. 1980.
- 1-23. Memo to the Admissions Committee from Vorenberg, 6 Feb. 1980.
- 1-24. Memorandum from Vorenberg Re: Doubts Concerning Michelman's "Concentrations Model,"
11 Feb. 1980.
- 1-25. Memorandum from Shapiro Re: Selection of Second Year Members of the Law Review, 12
- 1-26. Memorandum from the committee Re: Contracts in Small Groups, 14 Feb. 1980.
- 1-27. Report on Feedback and Evaluation, 25 Feb. 1980.
- 1-28. Memorandum from Michelman Re: The First Year Program, 20 Feb. 1980.
- 1-29. Memorandum from Falkenstein Re: A Proposal for an Alternative Method of Evaluation
In the Experimental Contracts Session, 25 Feb. 1980.
- 1-30. Memorandum from Molly Burke Re: An Addition to the First Year Curriculum.
- 1-31. Memorandum from Frank Sander Re: Small Sections in First Year, 3 March 1980.
- 1-32. "Matters Under Consideration," 14 March 1980.
- 1-33. Memorandum from Vorenberg, 3 March 1980.
- 1-34. Memorandum from Nesson, 19 March 1980.
- 1-35. Memorandum from Clark Re: Proposal for a Research Program and a Harvard Law School
Research Institute, 19 March 1980.
- 1-36. "Teaching Law with Computers" by Robert Keeton.
- 1-37. "Background Materials for Decisions Before Trial: A Computer-Based Exercise" by Keeton,
- 1-38. "Computer-Based Exercises in Legal Education" EDUNET/ University of Minnesota, Sept.
- 1-39. Committee on Legal Education, Report to the Faculty, 1960.
- 1-40. "Working Papers on Major Sequential Programs for the Second and Third Years of Law
School" by Michelman, 24 March 1980.
- 1-41. Preparing for Law Teaching with attachment: "Utopian Proposal" by Duncan Kennedy,
- 1-42. Memorandum from Douglas E. Ginsburg, September 15, 1981
- 1-43. Memorandum from Charles Nesson, September 16, 1981
- 1-44. Memorandum to the Faculty from Frank Michelman, September 17, 1981
- 1-45. Memorandum to the Faculty, December 1, 1981
Education --Law and legislation.
Cavers, David Farquhar, 1902.
Clark, Robert Charles.
Frank I., 1936-
Nesson, Charles R.
Shapiro, David L., 1932-