Vorenberg, James. Records of the President's Commission on Law Enforcement and the
Administration of Justice, 1965-1979: Finding Aid.
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Vorenberg, James
Title: Papers, 1965-1979
Quantity: 1 collection (24 boxes, 1 Paige box)
Abstract: Papers concerning Vorenberg's service on the President's Commission on Law Enforcement
and the Administration of Justice and other professional matters.
Presumably a gift from James Vorenberg in the 1970s, 1983.
The title of this collection was changed from the James Vorenberg Papers, 1965-1979 to Records of the President's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of
Justice, 1965-1979 in 2012. The change was made in order to more accurately reflect the contents of the
collection, which is made up almost entirely of material created and collected during
Vorenberg's time serving on the Commission.
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special
Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
Vorenberg, James, attorney, law teacher, legal scholar.
b. Boston, January 10, 1928.
s. F. Frank and Ida (Muhlfelder) V.
A.B., Harvard, 1948, LL.B., 1951.
Law Clerk to Justice Frankfurter, 1953-1954.
With firm Ropes and Gray, 1954-1962, partner, 1960-1962.
Professor of Law, Harvard, 1962-
Director of Office of Criminal Justice, 1964-1965.
Executive Secretary of the President's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration
of Justice, 1965-1967.
Served with United States Air Force, 1951-1953.
Author of law review articles and other legal publications.
- Series I.The American Law Institute and the United States
President's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of
- Series II.Chronological File
- Series III.Commission Meeting Materials
- Series IV.Transcripts
- Series V.Miscellaneous
- Series VI. Activities/Subjects
- ___ Subseries A. Individual
- ___ Subseries B. Miscellaneous
- Series VII.Harvard Law School
- Series VIII.Hearings, Findings, Etc.
- Series IX.Paige Boxes
The United States President's Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of Justice
was established in 1965. Professor James Vorenberg served on it as Executive Secretary
from the inception of the Commission until it had completed its work. Professor Vorenberg
was on a leave of absence from the Harvard Law School at this time.
The material collected here spans the period 1965 to 1967. It consists of correspondence, transcripts of and material for Commission meetings, a chronological and a miscellaneous
- Papers, 1965-1979
CONTINGENT I U.S. PRESIDENT'S COMMISSION ON LAW ENFORCEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE, 1965-1967
- Series: THE AMERICAN LAW INSTITUTE AND THE UNITED STATES PRESIDENT'S COMMISSION ON LAW ENFORCEMENT
AND THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE
- 1-1 to 2-3. Correspondence
- 1-1 to 1-2. July - December 1965
Date: July - December 1965
- 1-3 to 1-4. January - May 1966
Date: January - May 1966
- 1-5 to 1-6. May - October 1966
Date: May - October 1966
- 2-1 to 2-2. October 14 - December 1966
Date: October 14 - December 1966
- 2-3. January 3 - June 1967
Date: January 3 - June 1967
- Series: CHRONOLOGICAL FILE
- 3-1 to 4-4. Materials and Memoranda
- 3-1 to 3-2. October 1965 - February 1966
Date: October 1965 - February 1966
- 3-3 to 3-4. March - June 1966
Date: March - June 1966
- 3-5 to 4-1. July - December 1966
Date: July - December 1966
- 4-2 to 4-4. January - June 1967
Date: January - June 1967
- Series: COMMISSION MEETING MATERIALS
- 4-5 to 4-6. Meeting of President's Commission, January 11 - 12, 1966
Date: January 11 - 12, 1966
- 5-1 to 5-4. Meeting of President's Commission, June 6, 1966
Date: June 6, 1966
- 5-5 to 6-2. Meeting of President's Commission, June 27 - 29, 1966
Date: June 27 - 29, 1966
- 6-3 to 8-4. Meeting of President's Commission, September 19 - 21, 1966
Date: September 19 - 21, 1966
- 9-1 to 9-3. Material for President's Commission, October 17 - 20, 1966
Date: October 17 - 20, 1966
- 9-4 to 11-1. Meeting of President's Commission, November 11 - 13, 1966
Date: November 11 - 13, 1966
- 11-2 to 14-6. Meeting of President's Commission, December 28 - 30, 1966
Date: December 28 - 30, 1966
- 15-1 to 16-3. Meeting of President's Commission, January 21,22, 1967
Date: January 21,22, 1967
- Series: TRANSCRIPTS
- 16-4. Records of Meetings of President's Commission, 1965
- 16-5. Records of Meetings of President's Commission, January 1966
Date: January 1966
- 17-1 to 17-2. Records of Meetings of President's Commission, June, July 1966
Date: June, July 1966
- 17-3 to 17-5. Records of Meetings of President's Commission, September, October 1966
Date: September, October 1966
- 18-1 to 18-2. Records of Meetings of President's Commission, November 1966
Date: November 1966
- 18-3 to 18-5. Records of Meetings of President's Commission, December 1966
Date: December 1966
- 19-1 to 19-3. Records of Meetings of President's Commission, 1967
- Series: MISCELLANEOUS
- 19-5 to 19-6. Federal Bureau of Investigation
- 20-1 to 20-2. Mallory, etc.
- 20-8. Proposals for Federal Legislation on Crime
- Papers, 1965-1979
CONTINGENT II PROFESSIONAL MISCELLANY
- Series: ACTIVITIES/SUBJECTS
- 20-9. American Law Institute 1971 and undated
Includes transcript of taped discussion re model code of pre-arraignment procedure;
participants: Henry J. Friendly, Paul M. Bator, Herbert Wechsler, and others.
- Cambridge Youth Resources Bureau
see Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Committee on Law Enforcement and Administration of Criminal Justice [ Governor's Public Safety Committee].
- 20-10. Central Brooklyn Model Cities Implementation Plan for Work Release Centers [ 1969?]
Report describing plan [20p.]
- 20-12. Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law: Boston Urban Areas Project 1969
Includes reports and memoranda of S. Stephen Rosenfeld, Executive Director.
- 21-1 to 21-7. Police Foundation 1967, 1970, and undated
Date: 1967, 1970,
- 21-1. Major departments and breakdown by rank
- 21-2. Five papers re police leadership training
- 21-3. Executive and management training projects
- 21-4. Excerpts from " Upgrading the American Police," by C. B. Saunders
- 21-5. Sample materials from various management training courses
- 21-6. Survey of executive development programs
- 21-7. Reports and memorandum re police college models
- 21-8. Police Project: Part III [1969?]
Report describing project, including argument for transferring power over urban police
to community boards.
- 21-9. Police: miscellany [undated]
Typed items, probably students' writings.
- 21-10. Vera Institute of Justice 1969 and undated
Includes memoranda and drafts of reports of Harry Subin, Associate Director.
- 21-11. Miscellaneous correspondence 1965-1971
Includes photocopy of letter dated 29 October 1968 from Professor Peter [Blatt?],
University of Melbourne, to Professor Livingston Hall, H. L. S., re insanity plea in murder cases under Australian law.
- 21-12. Miscellaneous printed materials and reports 1968-1970
Includes reprints of two articles by Griffin B. Bell: "Federalism in Current Perspective," 1 Georgia Law Review 586 (1967) and "State Courts
and the Federal System," 21 Vanderbilt Law Review 949 (1948). GBB was Judge, U. S. Circuit Court of Appeals (5th Cir.).
- Series: HARVARD LAW SCHOOL
- 21-13 to 21-14. Ames Court competition 1970
Briefs in Ames Court finals, 23 November 1970, in Tamura v. Commonwealth of Ames.
- 21-15. Center for the Advancement of Criminal Justice 1969
- 21-16. "Reforming Urban Services to Reduce Client Alienation" 1969
Symposium sponsored by H. L. S. Law and Society Association, 22 March 1969.
- 22-1 to 22-2. Student papers submitted to James Vorenberg: Criminal Law 1968
- 22-3 to 22-9. Teaching notes: Criminal Law 1968
Includes MODERN CRIMINAL PROCEDURE/BASIC CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, Supplement to Second
Editions, by Livingston Hall and Yale Kamisar. St. Paul, Minnesota: West Publishing Co., 1967.
- 22-10. Miscellaneous memoranda 1969-1979, and undated
Includes memorandum from Professor Livingston Hall, H. L. S., re Student District Attorney project; also memoranda from Professors Vernon Countryman and W. Barton Leach of the Harvard Law School faculty.
- Series: HEARINGS, FINDINGS, ETC.
- 23-1 to 24-4. Commonwealth [of Massachusetts] v. Leis: Hearings 1967
Hearings on motions before Chief Justice G. Joseph Tauro, Superior Court, begun 18 September 1967.
- 24-5. Commonwealth [of Massachusetts] v. Leis 1967
Findings, rulings and orders on defendants' motion to dismiss, entered 19 December
- Series: PAIGE BOXES
- PAIGE BOX #1. Committee on Law Enforcement and Administration of Criminal Justice [ Governor's Public Safety Committee]
Photocopies of action grant applications, some with cover letters and/or evaluations,
September-October 1970, January-February 1971.
United States. President's Commission on
Law Enforcement and Administration of Justice.
Justice, Administration of -United States.
Criminal law -Study and
Criminal justice, Administration