Harvard Law School Republicans. Records, 1986-1990: Finding Aid.
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 8106179
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Harvard Law School Republicans
Title: Harvard Law School Republicans records
Quantity: 2 boxes
Language of materials: English
Abstract: The bulk of the collection relates to issues of freedom speech stemming from the disruption,
and subsequent cancellation of a Harvard Law School Republicans sponsored speech given
by former Nicaraguan Contra leader Adolfo Calero in October, 1987.
The Records of the Harvard Law School Republicans were presented to the Law School
ca. 1990 by Andrew Thomas, president and appointed representative of the organization.
Processed by David M. Read, June 1999.
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special
Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
The Harvard Law School Republicans are a student group, publicly formed in April of
1987 (see Harvard Law Record v 8 no. 9).
The records of the collection span the years 1986-1990. The majority of the material
covers the period from 1987 through 1988. The collection includes correspondence; memoranda; constitutions; clippings; fliers; reports; proceedings; pamphlets; brochures; speeches, lists and articles. The bulk of the records are related to the
issues of freedom of speech stemming from the disruption and subsequent cancellation
of a Harvard Law School Republicans sponsored speech given by former Nicaraguan Contra
leader Adolfo Calero in Oct. of 1987. Club business, as well as campus, local, state and national Republican
Party political activities are documented. A folder worth noting is 2-17, which contains
correspondence and battle updates from Resistencia Nicaraguense, the political arm of the Contras
- 1-1. Advertisements of Speakers, 1987-1988
- 1-2. Black Republicans, 1988
- 1-3. Bozell, L. Brent-Speech
- 1-4 to 1-12. Calero Portocarrero, Adolfo Visit. (9 folders)
- 1-4. Calero-Account of Disruptive Incident, 1987
- 1-5. Calero Visit-Correspondence, 1987
- 1-6. Calero Visit-Correspondence, 1987-1988
- 1-7. Calero Visit-Dean of Students Correspondence, 1987
- 1-8. Calero Visit-Derek Curtis Bok Correspondence, 1987
- 1-9. Calero Visit-James Vorenberg, Correspondence, 1987
- 1-10. Calero Visit-Legal Action against Harvard for Breech of Contract, 1987
- 1-11. Calero Visit-Materials relating to Joshua Laub (assailant)
- 1-13. Conservative Students Alienation-Harvard Law Record (Letter to the Editor), 1988
- 1-14. Constitution of the HLS Republicans
- 1-15. Correspondence-Outgoing, 1987-1990
- 1-16. Correspondence-Incoming, 1987-1988
- 1-17. Federation of Massachusetts College Republicans-Constitution
- 1-18. Harvard Law Record (misc. issues)
- 1-19. Harvard Law Record- Nov. 18, 1988
Date: Nov. 18, 1988
- 1-20. Harvard Law School Democrats, 1987
- 1-21. HLSR-Club Business, 1987-1990
- 1-22. HLSR-Club Business, 1987-1990 contd.
Date: 1987-1990 contd.
- 2-2. HLSR-National contd.
- 2-3. HLSR-National contd.
- 2-4. "Campus Report, form Accuracy in Academia," Sept. 1987
Date: Sept. 1987
- 2-5. HLSR-New Member sign-up sheets
- 2-8. Kemp for President-1988
- 2-9. Kemp, Jack for President
- 2-10. Kent-Brown, Duke-Harvard Crimson article
- 2-11. Harvard Crimson, 3/25/1987
- 2-13. The New Republican- America's Finest Law School Journal of Opinion
- 2-14. Pembroke, Marc-State Senate Campaign, 1988
- 2-15. Ramirez, Carlos-Speech
- 2-16. Ramirez, Sergio-Interview Questions
- 2-17. Resistencia Nicaragèuense
- 2-18. Rivas-Gallont, Ernesto (Ambassador- El Salvador)-Misc. Materials re: Speech, 1988
- 2-19. Speakers Invitations-Responses, 1987-1988
- 2-20. Speakers Invitations-Sent, 1987-1988
- 2-21. Student Alliance for Fairness-re: Student Government Constitution, 1988
- 2-22. The Truth v8 no. 2, 1997
- 2-23. United States Government publications on Nicaraguan Contras
- 2-24. Working Group on Guidelines for Student Sponsored Speakers Correspond, 1987
- 2-25. Yale University-Policy on Freedom of Speech, 1974
- 2-26. The Republican View, publication of the HLS Republican Club, various issues 1968-1971
Fuerzas Democrática Nicaragüenses.
Bok, Derek Curtis.
Bozell, Brent, 1925-
Calero Portocarrero, Adolfo.
Ramírez, Sergio, 1942-