Seavey, Warren Abner. Papers, 1926-1964: Finding Aid.
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Seavey, Warren Abner,
Title: Papers, 1926-1964
Quantity: 1 collection (2 boxes and 1 Paige box)
Abstract: Professional correspondence with colleagues, alumni, publishers, and professional
groups; examination papers from Seavey's courses; index of case citations and synopses
used in his agency casebook; papers relating to cases in which Seavey was retained
as counsel or consultant, notably, Dunfey Realty Company, Inc., vs. Enwright (1957);
and other papers, some relating to Harvard Law School.
The papers were transferred to the Harvard Law School Library after Warren A. Seavey's
death; no correspondence relating to this transfer exists.
Processed by Ginny Gartrell
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special
Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
- Correspondence and Miscellany
- 1-1 to 2-2. General Correspondence, 1931-1964
10 feet arranged chronologically by years but not by months within that arrangement.
Includes correspondence with:
- Hand, Learned,
- Glueck, Sheldon
- Frankfurter, Felix
- Magruder, C.
- Pound, Roscoe
- Williston, Samuel
- Wu, Ching-hsiung, Wyzanski, Charles E.
- and others.
Consists mainly of correspondence about articles on legal history and legal figures,
which was solicited for a new edition of Collier's Encyclopedia; some drafts of these
articles are included.
- 2-3. Drafts and printed legal documents relating to DUNFEY REALTY CO. INC. v. ENWRIGHT (N.H. Sup. Ct., 1957)
Seavey prepared an appellate brief in this case. See also correspondence about his
court appearance in 1957, 1958, 1959 correspondence folder.
- 2-4 to 2-7. Correspondence with West Publishing Co., 1950-1964
4 feet arranged chronologically by years but not by months within that arrangement,
except where that was the original grouping.
- 2-8. Harvard Law School Miscellany
Undated teaching materials, examinations for Torts, courses and charts of student
- Correspondence and Miscellany
Note: These files (1-1 through 2-8) were apparently gone through by Seavey after 1961;
many letters carry comments on contents or authors of letters in Seavey's hand in
top right corner or on separate slips.
- 2-9. Miscellaneous items donated by others (see Seavey case file for correspondence about
(1) Exchange between Seavey and William Draper Lewis regarding the Bill of Rights project of the A.L.I., February and March 1944 (3 letters)
(2) 1 letter each of Seavey and Professor Charles Warren in which each paid tribute to Professor Frederic Green upon his retirement from the University of Illinois Law School, n.d. (on one letter sheet)
(3) Memorandum of Conference of Torts advisers of A.L.I., in N.Y., around 1926 or
1927. Participants were Seavey, Cardozo, Dechert, Green, and Bohlen.
- 2-10. Draft of a Quasi-Contract Restatement sent to Prof. Thurston, 1933
- Bound Volumes
Note: The below casebooks were used by Professor Seavey in teaching his courses and
they contain extensive marginal annotations and inserts in his hand.
- 1. A Selection of Cases on Pleading: with References and Citations
James Barr Ames. Cambridge, MA: The Harvard Law Review Publ. Co., 1905. In two volumes.
- 2. Constitutional Law: Cases and Other Problems
Paul A. Freund, Arthur E. Sutherland, Mark DeWolfe Howe and Ernest J. Brown. Boston: Little Brown & Co., 1952. In two volumes.
- 3. Cases on Constitutional Law: Selected from Decisions of State and Federal Courts
James Parker Hall. St. Paul: West Publ. Co., 1913. Part of the American Casebook Series, James Brown Scott, general editor.
- Index Cards
1 package of 5" x 8" cards and slips containing citations and brief digest of cases
(probably used for a casebook on agency; slips in groups numbered from 135 through
Law -Study and teaching -Massachusetts
Frankfurter, Felix, 1882-1965.
Pound, Roscoe, 1870-1964.
Seavey, Warren Abner, 1880-1966.
Wyzanski, Charles E.
(Charles Edward), 1906-