Helman, Irving J. Correspondence and materials relating to Felix Frankfurter, 1947-1996:
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 8656918
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Helman, Irving J.
Title: Irving J. Helman correspondence and materials relating to Felix Frankfurter
Quantity: 1 boxes
Language of materials: English
Abstract: This collection contains materials pertaining to the work of Justice Felix Frankfurter's
clerk, Irving J. Helman (HLS '42). Topics include the Felix Frankfurter Chair at Harvard
Law School and capital punishment, among others.
Gift of Irving J. Helman, 2000.
Processed by Michael Austin, 2001.
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special
Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
Irving J. Helman (HLS 1942) clerked for Justice Felix Frankfurter in 1947-1948.
This collection contains correspondence between Frankfurter and Helman; correspondence
relating to Helman's efforts to raise an endowment for the Felix Frankfurter Chair
at Harvard Law School; correspondence relating to the topic of capital punishment
(which Helman researched at Frankfurter's request); an annotated typescript of " Chum Felix Frankfurter" by Frank W. Buxton; and offprints of articles, copies of addresses and remarks,
and opinions written by Justice Frankfurter.
- 1-1. Correspondence re capital punishment, 1950-1951
- 1-2. Correspondence re Felix Frankfurter, 1950-1956
- 1-3. Correspondence re Felix Frankfurter, 1957-1973
- 1-4. Correspondence re Felix Frankfurter fund at Harvard Law School, 1967-1990
- 1-5. Correspondence with Felix Frankfurter, 1947-1960
- 1-6. Felix Frankfurter memorial program and remarks by Paul A. Freund, 24 February 1965
Date: 24 February 1965
- 1-7. Manuscript of " Chum Felix Frankfurter" by Frank W. Buxton, [ 197?]
- 1-8. Miscellaneous correspondence, 1948-1996
- 1-9. Offprints of addresses and remarks
- 1-10. Offprints of articles
- 1-11. Offprints of Supreme Court opinions
- 1-12. Printed list of Supreme Court employees, 1947-1948
Capital punishment --United States.
Buxton, Frank W., 1877-
Felix Frankfurter, 1882-1965.
Harvard Law School.
United States. Supreme Court.