OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HLS.Libr:law00028View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 601714
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Powell, Thomas Reed, 1880-1955
Title: Papers, 1905-1955
Quantity: 1 collection (11 Paige boxes (lettered A-H, J) in 25 Hollinger boxes)
Abstract: Collection consists of papers relating to Powell's career as law teacher and legal scholar, consultant and mediator in legal cases involving tax, insurance, and railroad matters, and as president of the American Political Science Association. It also includes mss. of his humorous prose and verse.
- April 29, 1880
- b. Richford, Vermont. s. E. Henry and Georgiana (Reed) Powell
- A.B., University of Vermont
- LL.D., University of Vermont
- LL.B., Harvard
- Ph.D., Columbia
- D.C.L., University of New Mexico
- July 27, 1915
- m. Mary Lee Hale; children - Mary Lee (Mrs. Robert H. Davenport, Jr.), Georgiana Reed (Mrs. Brent Maxwell Abel), Thomas Reed, Jr.
- Admitted to Vermont Bar
- Practiced at Burlington
- Assistant treasurer, University of Vermont, and State Agricultural College
- 1907-1908, 1911-1912
- Lecturer in public law, Columbia
- Associate in political science, University of Illinois
- Honorary fellow administrative law, Columbia University
- Associate in law, Columbia University
- Associate professor constitutional law, Columbia University
- Professor, Columbia University
- Ruggles professor constitutional law, Columbia University
- Professor of law, Harvard Law School
- Langdell professor of law, Harvard Law School
- Story professor of law, Harvard Law School
- Emeritus, Harvard Law School
- Professor of constitutional law Suffolk University
- Lecturer New School of Social Research
- Admitted to Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court Bar
- Visiting professor, University of California, Berkeley
- Visiting professor, Columbia
- 1936, 1941
- Special assistant to Attorney General of U.S.
- Member President's Emergency Board on National Railway Strike
- Member, executive council, American Political Science Association
- Third vice-president, American Political Science Association
- President, American Political Science Association
- August 16, 1955
- Separation of Powers, 1913
- Indirect Encroachment on Federal Authority by the Taxing Powers of the States, 1919.
- The Supreme Court and State Police Power, (1922-1930), 1932.
- Managing editor, Political Science Quarterly, 1913-1916.
- Contributor to legal periodicals
Arranged in the following series:
The Thomas Reed Powell Papers span the years 1905-1955. The collection includes correspondence, memoranda, drafts, notes, briefs, newspaper clippings, telegrams, financial statements, photographs, reports, legislative documents, pamphlets, judicial decisions, petitions, indexes, lists, manuscripts of published and unpublished writings and speeches, and miscellaneous printed material.The major contingent of Professor Powell's papers (approximately 3,000 items) consists of correspondence (both incoming and copies of outgoing mail) during the period when he was a member of the Harvard Law School faculty, namely 1925-1955. This correspondence is of a professional nature, with colleagues and other professional persons, relating directly to his work as law teacher and legal scholar. Another large group of materials relates to Professor Powell's work as consultant and mediator in legal cases, involving mainly tax, insurance and railroad matters. The third significant group in these papers consists of manuscript material, both professional and non-professional; the latter group includes his various humorous pieces in verse and prose. Professor Powell was president of the American Political Science Association during 1937-1938, and his correspondence relating to this office is included in his papers.Among Professor Powell's correspondents, besides colleagues on the Harvard Law School and other faculties, were: Arnold, Thurman Wesley, 1891-1969; Beard, Charles Austin, 1874-1948; Biddle, Francis, 1886-1968; Brandeis, Louis Dembitz, 1856-1941; Burlingham, Charles Culp, 1858-1959; Cardozo, Benjamin N., 1870-1938; Clark, Charles Edward, 1889-1963; Dewey, John, 1859-1952; Dickinson, John, 1894-1952; Douglas, William O. (William Orville), 1898-; Frank, Jerome, 1889-1957; Frankfurter, Felix, 1882-1965; Hand, Learned, 1872-1961; Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1841-1935; Jackson, Robert Houghwout, 1892-1954; Laski, Harold Joseph, 1893-1950; MacLeish, Archibald, 1892-; Morse, Wayne Lyman, 1900-; Stone, Harlan Fiske, 1872-1946; Van Doren, Irita, 1891-1966; Wyzanski, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1906-.