Sidney A. Aisner papers, 1941-1945: Finding Aid
Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard Law School
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: HOLLIS 601618
Repository: Harvard Law School Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Aisner, Sydney A.
Title: Aisner, Sidney A. Papers of Sidney Aisner, 1941-1945:Finding Aid
Quantity: 23 items (3 Paige boxes)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: This collection contains papers relating to the impeachment and conviction of Daniel
H. Coakley, member of the Massachusetts Council, during whose trial Aisner served
as special counsel to the board of managers. Also included are papers relating to
two other cases.
Gift of Esther A. Aisner in 1978.
Access to these papers is governed by the rules and regulations of the Harvard Law
School Library. This collection is open to the public, but is housed off-site at Harvard
Depository and requires 2 business-day advance notice for retrieval. Consult the Special
Collections staff for further information.
The Harvard Law School Library holds copyright on some, but not all, of the material
in our collections. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection
should be directed to the Special Collections staff. Researchers who obtain permission
to publish from the Harvard Law School Library are also responsible for identifying
and contacting the persons or organizations who hold copyright.
- Series I.Items in the Sidney A. Aisner Papers re: Coakley Impeachment
- Series II.Other Materials
The Sidney A. Aisner Papers consist of 3 paige boxes materials, most of which relate
to the impeachment of Daniel H. Coakley, Councilor from the Fourth Council or District,
Commonwealth of Massachusetts Senate sitting as a Court for the trial, May 5, 1939
- October 2, 1941. Sidney A. Aisner served as Special Counsel to the Board of Managers.
Judgment passed on the 14 Articles of Impeachment October 2, 1941. Coakley was found
guilty on Articles 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 14. He was removed from office
and disqualified to hold future state jobs.
The collection also includes some materials relating to the cases of Max Coleman
and Joseph P. Timilty.
- Series I. Items in the Sidney A. Aisner Papers re: Coakley Impeachment:
- 6 separate volumes of "Transcript of Testimony, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Court
of Impeachment, August 5, 1941 - October 2, 1941"
Date: August 5, 1941 - October 2, 1941"
- 1 bound printed volume: "Journal of the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts, 1941".
- 2 soft-bound volumes of carbons relating to Coakley Impeachment, testimony, subject
- 1 soft-bound notebook: Index to Testimony
- 1 soft-bound notebook: Daniel Henry Coakley
(biographical sketch, 32 pp., typed carbon copy).
- 9 loose printed documents of Commonwealth of Massachusetts: Opinions, reports, Articles
of Impeachment, Vote on Articles of Impeachment, etc.
- 1 printed summary: "Commonwealth of Massachusetts Report of the Impeachment of Daniel
H. Coakley", reprinted, 1945.
- Series II. Other Materials
- 1 soft-bound volume relating to Max Coleman Case, 1943 (Norfolk Superior Court).
- 1 soft-bound volume relating to Joseph P. Timilty et. al. Case, 1943 (Norfolk Superior
Law and politics --Massachusetts.
Aisner, Sidney A.
Coakley, Daniel H.
Timilty, Joseph P.