[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua29016View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
HUV 152

Photographic views of the Harvard Faculty Club, 1930-1990: an inventory

Harvard University Archives

[link]


Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: HUV 152
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Title: Photographic views of the Harvard Faculty Club, 1930-1990
Date(s): 1930-1990
Quantity: 0.5 cubic feet (27 photographs)
Abstract: The Harvard Faculty Club was established in 1928 as a private club for Harvard University faculty, providing dining rooms, meeting rooms, and a library for its members. The Faculty Club building was constructed in 1930 due to the deterioration of its previous building, which was originally the home of Henry James, Sr., and had also housed the Colonial Club, a private club for the Cambridge elite. The Photographic views of the Harvard Faculty Club provide a visual record from 1930 to 1990 of Harvard University's faculty club that was once private but now serves the entire Harvard community. The 27 gelatin silver prints also show the building's grounds and the surrounding area.

Acquisition information:

These images were acquired by the Harvard University Archives from the late nineteenth century through the late twentieth century.

Processing Information:

This finding aid was created by Amanda Sherman in June 2016.
Description of the Photographic views of the Harvard Faculty Club, 1930-1990, was supported by the Harvard Library's Hidden Collection initiative.

Researcher Access:

Open for research.

Online access:

All of the images have been digitized and are available online. Links accompany detailed descriptions.

Preferred Citation:

Photographic views of the Harvard Faculty Club, 1930-1990. HUV 152, Harvard University Archives.

Related Materials

Collections in the Harvard University Archives

Historical Note

The Harvard Faculty Club was established in 1928 as a private club for Harvard University faculty, providing dining rooms, meeting rooms, and a library for its members. The Faculty Club building was constructed in 1930 due to the deterioration of its previous building, which was originally the home of Henry James, Sr., and had also housed the Colonial Club, a private club for the Cambridge elite. The new neo-Georgian club building was designed by Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch and Abbot and cost $305,000 to construct, with funding provided by Allston Burr and the Harvard Corporation. Club membership is now open to all members of the Harvard community, including faculty, staff, and students.
A central tradition at the Faculty Club is the Long Table, a table designated for diners who are unaccompanied but do not wish to dine alone. The Long Table has a reputation for hosting lively, witty, and intellectual conversations among the most illustrious members of the Harvard community. The table has been located in the same location, in front of the fireplace in the main dining room, since the club opened.
For the first thirty years, women members were relegated to a separate dining room and lounge, until all rooms except the main lounge were opened to them in 1958. In 1966, the Faculty Club building was expanded to accommodate a growing membership. The expansion added sixty-five seats to the main dining room, three more dining rooms, and two bedrooms, and air conditioning was installed. The new wing took over the space previously used as the ladies' waiting room, and the Club began to admit women into the main lounge for the first time. Full membership was opened to women in 1968.

References

Arrangement

The Photographic views of the Harvard Faculty Club has a legacy arrangement reflecting over 100 years of interfiling individual photographs of the structure from many sources into one collection. The images are arranged into three folders, with the photographs loosely arranged in chronological order.This collection is part of the Harvard University Archives Photograph Collection: Views, in which Archives staff compiled images, whether acquired individually or removed from larger collections, and arranged them in categories based on locations, buildings, or landscape features for ease of reference.

Scope and Content

The Photographic views of the Harvard Faculty Club provide a visual record from 1930 to 1990 of Harvard University's faculty club that was once private but now serves the entire Harvard community. The 27 gelatin silver prints also show the building's grounds and the surrounding area.
Exterior photographs show the front of the building, as well as workers performing building maintenance. Interior photographs show several rooms of the Faculty Club: the lobby, ladies' dining room, living room, ladies' lounge, Crystal Room, main dining room, the newly renovated Map Room, and a dining room with posters of locations in France on the walls. Some images show the staff at work and diners sitting at or standing next to dining tables.

Inventory update

This document last updated 2016 August 29.

General

Groups

General

Topics

General

Places

General

Formats and genres

Container List


hua29016