[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua26008View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
HUD 3227

Harvard Club of Boston. Records of the Harvard Club of Boston : an inventory

Harvard University Archives

[link]


Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: HUD 3227
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Harvard Club of Boston.
Title: Records of the Harvard Club of Boston, 1908-1990 (inclusive)
Date(s): 1908-1990 (inclusive)
Quantity: 2.8 cubic feet (8 boxes)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: An organization of Harvard alumni living in and around Boston, Massachusetts, the Harvard Club of Boston was founded on March 19, 1908. The records document the history, activities, and interests of the Club.

Acquisition Information:

  • J.D. Phillips; 1910
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1913
  • William S. Appleton; 1914
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1914
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1915
  • Charles W. Eliot; 1917
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1917
  • F. W. Taussig; 1919
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1920
  • Landscape Architecture Library; 1922
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1922
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1924
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1931
  • P.E. Sargent; 1931
  • C.H. Haskins; 1931
  • F. G. Peabody; 1932
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1936
  • R. Fitz; 1947
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1948
  • Estate of S.H. Cross; October 1948
  • R.W. Lovett; Nov. 17, 1948
  • Catalogue Dept; May 15, 1952
  • Office of the Secretary to the University; 1954
  • Harvard Club of Boston; 1962
  • Class Secretary of 1910; 1970
  • Processing Information:

    The Records of the Harvard Club of Boston were first classified and described in the Harvard University Archives shelflist prior to 1980. In September 2008, Juliana Kuipers re-processed the material. Re-processing included integrating and reorganizing the records, re-housing materials in appropriate containers, establishing a series and subseries hierarchy, and the creation of this inventory. All call numbers were simplified.
    An empty envelope labeled "Harvard Club of Boston seal, found in material of Class of 1898, from Paul V. Bacon, Secretary" was found in the collection. The empty envelope was placed in the control file.

    Conditions on use and access:

    Some restrictions apply. Consult reference staff for details.

    Related Material

    Photographs of the Harvard Club of Boston are held in the Harvard University Archives (call number: HUV 1580).

    History of the Harvard Club of Boston

    The Harvard Club of Boston was founded on March 19, 1908, more than fifty years after the first Boston-based Harvard club was established (see the Records of the Harvard Club, Harvard University Archives call number: HUD 3226). The original aim of the Harvard Club of Boston, summarized by its first five officers, was to "give effective expression to the Harvard spirit" through such activities as annual dinners and other social meetings. By the time the first meeting was held on June 23, 1908, there were more than 450 members. By its second year, the Club had almost 1,200 members, and by 1915, membership was over 4,000.
    As membership continued to grow, the Club began to search for a permanent clubhouse. Land at the corner of Massachusetts and Commonwealth Avenues was purchased in May 1912, and the clubhouse was dedicated on November 12, 1913. Due to the higher than expected construction costs, the Club incorporated itself itself in January 1913 to facilitate funding.
    In its early year, the Club began several long-standing traditions. These included attending the Harvard-Yale football game and crew races (the Club provided trains to New Haven in odd years), feting victorious Harvard athletic teams, and providing scholarships for local high school students to attend Harvard College. Annual meetings were held in late winter, and various recitals, concerts, talks, and lectures were sponsored by the Club throughout the year. The new clubhouse included eight squash courts, which were open to members' sons, as well as to wives and daughters in 1927.
    The Harvard Club of Boston Foundation was established on July 10, 1950 to facilitate fund-raising for the scholarships offered by the Club. In 1954, a downtown "Harvard Banquet" room was opened at Purcell's Restaurant on School Street in order to give members a convenient place to gather for lunch. This facility moved in 1967, but a permanent Downtown Harvard Club was opened at One Milk Street in November 1976.
    In the 1970s, the Club instituted a travel program, allowing members to travel at special group rates, and created a Travel Committee.

    Arrangement

    The records are organized into the following groups:

    Scope of the collection

    The records document the history, activities, and interests of the Harvard Club of Boston. Activities documented include annual meetings and events sponsored by the Club, and administrative details such as the election of officers and members, financial information, and committee work.
    Documents include newsclippings, pamphlets, programs and menus, correspondence, notices, minutes, financial records, speeches and addresses, committee records, annual reports, and publications.

    Inventory update

    This document last updated 2016 June 16.

    Container List


    hua26008