[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua25008View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
HUD 3276

Association of Harvard Chemists. Records of the Association of Harvard Chemists : an inventory

Harvard University Archives

[link]


Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: HUD 3276
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Association of Harvard Chemists.
Title: Records of the Association of Harvard Chemists
Date(s): 1906, 1911-1989.
Quantity: 2 cubic feet (5 document boxes, 1 volume)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: The Association of Harvard Chemists was organized in 1911 and remains active (2008), to aid in the advancement of chemical education and research at Harvard University and to assist members in their professional development as chemists. The records are organized in three series: Constitution and membership list, General information and ephemera, and Secretary-Treasurer records.

Acquisition Information:

The Records of the Association of Harvard Chemists were acquired through donation. Whenever possible the archivist noted the terms of acquisition in the descriptions and item lists.
The acquisitions are as follows:1913 Charles W. Eliot, 1944 Library of the Chemical Laboratories, 1952 E.L. Tulloch, 1954 Library of the Chemical Laboratories.

Processing Information:

The Records were first classified and described in the Harvard University Archives shelflist prior to 1990. In September 2008, Dominic P. Grandinetti re-processed the collection. Re-processing included integrating and reorganizing the collection, re-housing materials in the appropriate containers, placing documents into acid-free folders, establishing series arrangement, and preparing this inventory.
Call numbers were simplified and reassigned. A list of obsolete call numbers is included in this finding aid.
Weeding
Publications by chemistry professor Arthur B. Lamb found in these records were compared to identical materials in the Papers of Arthur Becket Lamb (HUG 4508.72). They were found to duplicate existing holdings in Lamb's papers and therefore weeded and discarded. The publications are as follows:The Cooper Flame Test for Halogens in Air, 1920, The Densities of Certain Dilute Aqueous Solutions by a New and Precise Method, 1913, The Determination of Chlorine with Nephelometer, 1920, An Equilibrium in the Cobaltammines, 1911, The Heat of Absorbtion of Vapors on Charcoal, 1920, Portable Electrical Filter for Smokes and Bacteria, 1919, The Preparation of Iodic Acid and Its Anhydride, 1920, The Rapid Determination of Carbon Monoxide Air, 1919, The Removal of Carbon Monoxide from Air, 1920, Reproducible Liquid Junction Potentials: The Flowing Junction, 1920, The Stability of the Cobaltammines, 1920.
Relocated material
The following publication by chemistry professor Grinnell Jones was relocated to the Papers of Grinnell Jones (HUG 4469) during reprocessing:The Potential of the Thallium Electrode and the Free Energy of Formation of Thallous Iodide, 1921.

Conditions on Use and Access:

The Records of the Association of Harvard Chemists are open for research.

Related Material

Archival Materials

Library Materials

Historical Essay

The Association of Harvard Chemists was organized on April 8, 1911 and remains active (2008), to aid in the advancement of chemical education and research at Harvard University and to assist members in their professional development as chemists. Membership in the Association is open to any "degree holder of Harvard University, who has been or is identified professionally or associated, as a chemist, owner, or director, with the manufacture of chemicals, or other work in which chemical reactions are largely concerned." Among the Association's ranks are prominent industrial, government and commercial chemists, physicians and surgeons, and professors of chemistry.
The initial founders of the Association were John Downer (A.B. 1883), Dr. Morris Loeb (A.B. 1883), Theodore W. Richards (A.B. 1886), and Gregory P. Baxter (A.B. 1896). In its early days, the Association helped raise funds for the upkeep of the chemistry library originally located in Boylston Hall. The Association later helped to promote the construction of two new chemical laboratories at Harvard, the Converse Memorial Laboratory (1928) and the Edward Mallinckrodt Chemical Laboratory (1928). Over the years, the Association has maintained a working relationship with the Department of Chemistry in Harvard University's Faculty of Arts and Sciences, helping new graduates secure employment in the chemical field. In addition, members have held regular gatherings, including ones at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society, to hear addresses and reports by prominent chemists and to socialize with fellow alumni interested in chemistry.

Scope of the Collection

The Records of the Association of Harvard Chemists document its founding, organization, and activities in support of chemical education and research at Harvard University. The records contain the Association's constitution, general information about the Association and the Association's Secretary-Treasurer records which include meeting minutes, correspondence, financial records, subject files, and the Secretary's annual letter to members of the Association.

Inventory upate

This document last updated 2016 October 25.

Obsolete Call Numbers

The following list provides a map to call numbers that were made obsolete by the archivist during the 2008 re-processing. All the materials for the Records of the Association of Harvard Chemists now fall under the single call number HUD 3276.

Container List


hua25008