[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua24014View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
UAV 630.110

Harvard College Observatory. Records of Boyden Station, Bloemfontein, South Africa, 1907-1956 : an inventory

Harvard University Archives

[link]


Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: UAV 630.110
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Harvard College Observatory.
Title: Records of Boyden Station, Bloemfontein, South Africa, 1907-1956
Date(s): 1907-1956
Quantity: 7 cubic feet (21 boxes and two folders)
Abstract: Harvard's first astronomical observatory was established in 1839 in Cambridge, Massachusetts and became the Harvard College Observatory. Boyden Station was established to allow for observations from the Southern Hemisphere and was originally located in Arequipa, Peru. The Station was moved to a spot near Bloemfontien in the Orange Free State, South Africa in 1927. Harvard stopped direct support of the site around 1966. Records of Boyden Station in Bloemfontein, South Africa consist chiefly of correspondence and reports.

Acquisition Information:

Records transferred to the Harvard University Archives from the Harvard College Observatory.

Processing Information:

This inventory was created in April 2014 by Kate Bowers from a variety of information sources. The records were not examined.
Titles were provided by the archivists unless otherwise noted.

Researcher Access:

Open for research.

Existence and Location of Copies:

Some of the records have been digitized and are available online. Links to digital content accompany descriptions.

Preferred Citation:

Harvard College Observatory. Records of Boyden Station, Bloemfontein, South Africa, 1907-1956. UAV 630.110, Harvard University Archives.

Related Materials

Historical note

Harvard's first astronomical observatory was established in 1839 in Cambridge, Massachusetts and became the Harvard College Observatory.
Boyden Station was established to allow for observations from the Southern Hemisphere and was originally located in Arequipa, Peru. The Station was moved to a spot near Bloemfontien in the Orange Free State, South Africa in 1927. Its first and longtime director in South Africa was John S. Paraskevopoulos, who held the post from 1927 to 1951. Harvard stopped direct support of the site around 1966.
The area in which Boyden Station was established was referred to as the Cape Colony at the beginning of the twentieth century. It was a British colony established in 1806 in what is now South Africa. When the Union of South Africa formed in 1910, the area of the Cape Colony became part of the province of the Cape of Good Hope, also called Cape Province.

Scope and Content

Records of Boyden Station in Bloemfontein, South Africa consist chiefly of correspondence and reports. Correspondence from South Africa is often addressed fromBloemfontein, South Africa, Cape Town, South Africa, Worcester, Cape Colonyor Hanover, Cape Colony.

General

This document last updated 2015 November 12.

Container List


hua24014