[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua19001View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
UAI 15.60.x

Harvard University. Corporation. Buildings papers on Appleton Chapel, 1855-1928 : an inventory

Harvard University Archives

[link]


Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: UAI 15.60.x
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Harvard University. Corporation
Title: Buildings papers on Appleton Chapel
Date(s): 1855-1857 and 1928
Quantity: 0.5 cubic feet (2 portfolio folders and 1 letter-sized folder)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: Harvard University's Appleton Chapel was constructed in 1855-1856. It was designed by architect Paul Schulze as a stand-alone building to replace the chapel in University Hall. Appleton Chapel as a structure was replaced in turn by Memorial Church. Memorial Church was dedicated in 1932. The Appleton Chapel continues as a named chapel within the new building. This collection holds a scattering of records relating to the design, dedication, and use of the chapel.

Acquisition information:

The documents in this collection are University records and were acquired in the course of University business.

Processing Information:

This inventory was created by Kate Bowers in October 2013 from a variety of information sources. The titles were devised by the archivist. The collection was not examined.

Researcher Access:

The Buildings papers on Appleton Chapel are open for research use.

Copying Restriction:

Copying of fragile materials may be limited.

Preferred Citation:

Harvard University. Corporation. Buildings papers on Appleton Chapel, 1855-1928. UAI 15.60.x, Harvard University Archives.

Appleton Chapel historical note

Harvard University's Appleton Chapel was constructed in 1855-1856 and demolished in 1931. It was designed by architect Paul Schulze to replace the chapel in University Hall. Appleton Chapel was replaced as a stand-alone building by Memorial Church. Memorial Church was dedicated in 1932. Appleton Chapel continues as a named chapel within the Memorial Church building.

Paul Schulze biographical note

Paul Schulze trained as an architect in Berlin and Vienna. He arrived in Boston in 1849 and designed buildings for Harvard University. He moved to New York in 1858 and to Washington, D.C. in 1877 where he designed government buildings. He was born in Breslau, German in 1827 or 1828 and died in California in 1897.

Scope and Contents

This collection holds a scattering of records relating to the design, dedication, and use of the chapel.

Inventory update

This document last updated 2016 August 29.

Container List


hua19001